Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

GasBandit

Staff member
Heh, in Texas, every season is shorts and sandals season.

Of course, Summer is also "hide from the blazing fury of our enraged, malevolent star lest it singe the skin from your body and boil you alive in your own natural juices" season.

I never understood why clothing stores in Texas carry so much winter clothes. I basically can not buy a shirt from now till April.
Good luck finding any new shorts until then either. I missed the last of some that I liked at Sam's this year, I could have used a couple of more.

Color differences don't make that big an impact on me, but resolution really does. Framerate is "good enough", but I did notice the difference between a 24 fps movie and a 48fps movie, and I prefer the higher framerate (I just wish hollywood would finally make all films at the faster framerate).

A theory I've heard is that colorblind people don't lose those cones, they just are differently sensitive to light, and so it makes me wonder if my red-green color blindness is really just a trade-off between color and visual acuity.

One of the bigger reasons pushing me towards an iPhone X.

GasBandit

Staff member
30fps is tolerable, but 60fps is desirable.

Of course, 120fps is even better.

But I'll never go back to sub-30 fps again. NEVER

figmentPez

Staff member
I feel low framerates more often than I see them. Playing a game 30fps tens to feel floatier and sometimes causes more motion sickness than 60fps, and that's not even getting into harder to measure framerate problems like microstutter. But watching a YouTube? Uh, sometimes I can tell 60fps, but not all the time. Though I'm with Stienman in wishing that all movies were filmed in 48fps.

As for resolution... it's hard for me to care as long as the resolution is over 720p. For me, 1366x768 looks almost as good as 1920x1080, but I've only got a 21" monitor. I can see that 1080p has more detail, but it doesn't really matter to me while I'm playing, and if someone told me they can't see the difference between 1600x900 and a full 1920x1080, I wouldn't even bat an eye.

People almost always prefer 720p@60fps over 1080p@30fps.

Notice the L side is lower res but higher frame rate. I'm willing to bet it's the one you'd rather be stuck with.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
The assertions behind most of this conversation are also why I stream at 60fps/720p instead of 1080/30. When bitrate is capped, framerate beats resolution every time.

Color differences don't make that big an impact on me, but resolution really does. Framerate is "good enough", but I did notice the difference between a 24 fps movie and a 48fps movie, and I prefer the higher framerate (I just wish hollywood would finally make all films at the faster framerate).

A theory I've heard is that colorblind people don't lose those cones, they just are differently sensitive to light, and so it makes me wonder if my red-green color blindness is really just a trade-off between color and visual acuity.

One of the bigger reasons pushing me towards an iPhone X.
I honestly hate the higher framerate movies because I don't think production quality can keep up yet. When I watched The Hobbit at higher FPS, I felt like I was watching a high school play.