Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

I never said or meant to imply that you are out in the boonies. Practically ALL of the USA has plenty of space. Streets are twice as wide, cars are bigger, house plots are bigger, etc etc.

That's...Not a negative. Au contraire. I'd love to have more open space around me than the *checks* 20.000 people per square kilometer my home town has. For comparison, Houston has about 1300 people per square kilometer.

I said something about fucking stairs in a shop; Poe replied with "I'm too American to understand"; Pez said "Most Americans wouldn't grasp the concept of stairs" and you said it was completely against the Law.

I don't know why you all seem to take this so Serious and insist I'm Wrong and it's Impossible that somewhere in the USA a shop might have some *gasp* stairs.

Frankly, the insitence that Americans can't/won't understand the concept of "stairs" is far more dismissive and insulting than my mention that "not having stairs is shops" probably means "your land is cheap enough that building out instead of up is more economical".

Such a shocking thing to say. I never said ALL AMERICAN SHOPS HAVE STAIRS EVERYWHERE DUH. I said that, from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, they exist. You know what? When I was in Florida, I didn't see any. When I was in Boston, I did. When I was in New York, I did. When i was in Niagara Falls, I did. In Washington DC, there are shops with stairs - and that's a wide-out low-down city.
I never implied ALL Americans should have shop with stairs within driving distance; on the contrary I said that quite possibly there aren't any around your area and probably very large parts of the USA. You are the ones who decided to misconstrue what I said.

Yes, I' moverreacting because fuck you, I feel bad, and coming here and getting flack for somethingCOMPLETLEY INANE like this isn't doing me any favors. I fully expected to get some flack for my post about gendering in languages. I did not expect people to try to rip out my throat over the concept of "a grocery store with stairs".

Last edited:
Outliers, yes, but they do actually exist because of population numbers? Massive population+very small space+needs access to goods= weird, walk-up stores.

My point is that neither you or Bubble are wholly correct or incorrect, because the answer does lie in "regional differences" and the US isn't a cultural monolith. You guys are getting heated over something not that serious.

Now, let's all take a deep breath, and talk about something everyone can agree on.... like steak!

His reasoning? Women choose when they want to bleed and have it totally under control, just like when you can hold it in when you need to pee.
The mofo must have some fucking incredible bladder control if he can hold it in for a whole work day... either that or he's not as present for his supposedly important job for more then 4 hours a day.

They may exist, but they are extreme statistical outliers, and definitely not a function of population numbers.

But Bubble has no room to get butthurt when he turned a niche action of a percent occurrence into a "ha ha you live in the boonies" post. Ahyuck ahyuck, yup yup, city slicker, out here in thuh backwoods of Houston, Dallas, Denver, etc, we done have to have handicapped parking and wheelchair lifts cuz muh neighbor is 15 miles down yonder.

Probably would have been more accurate to say "tell me your buildings are only double digit years old."
There is a H‑E‑B in the Heights area of Houston that is 2 storey. They have an escalator to the 2nd floor that has a buggy lift to get the buggies up and down.
9A634891-23C7-4A78-8A7F-78DDF6D0270A.jpeg

This is just something I found interesting and close enough for your interest.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've seen large supermarkets in parts of Ohio with steps and/or elevators to a open second floor, which usually has things like liquor and such... but only in places like Hillard, where it's fairly upper class.
I'm perfectly aware that there are multi-story grocery stores, some even with cart elevators, in the United States.

Please take my comment as deliberate hyperbole, with special emphasis on how Americans, especially suburban Americans, tend to be myopic to the existence of anything outside their day-to-day life. It's probably not true that the majority of Americans have zero idea that supermarkets with stairs exist, but there's also a lot of Americans who will very easily forget they've been to such a store if it's not the one they go to on a weekly basis.

My comment was meant to be a humorous exaggeration, because we're talking about a joke!

At the risk of continuing to inflame a wild tangent, the thing I found most interesting about the original premise of the joke is the part about *three steps* down to the freezer section. I'm a lifelong New Englander and I've occasionally been in stores (particularly in cities like Boston and NYC) where there are a *few* steps that separate a section or side of the store. This is in contrast to many of the photos above where patrons are expected to traverse a whole floor / story to take advantage of vertical space when horizontal space is lacking - e.g. the supermarket in MA pictured above is a Wegmans, and it's 2 floors because it's an anchor store in a 2-story mall - all of the freestanding Wegmans I've been in only have 1 floor of customer access (any 2nd floor space is typically dedicated to offices). In my experience, the "few steps" type of stores are much more likely in older buildings and smaller stores, where they haven't been updated to meet ADA requirements, and rarely occur in stores where you might have a shopping cart / trolley (for obvious reasons). See also: the "watch your step!" signs when there's a single step up or down at the entryway of a building/store.

Meanwhile it's fascinating to hear what's "normal" and what's seemingly unfathomable depending on where people are located!

Most grocery stores are flat and do not have stairs. BUT... in downtown Phoenix, right across from "Whatever we're calling it this year" Arena, is a Fry's Food Store (Kroger's for those of you elsewhere in the US) that is located inside a residential tower building - and, indeed, does have stairs to an upper level. Most people use the elevator to take their carts up and down, though.

GasBandit

Staff member
Outliers, yes, but they do actually exist because of population numbers? Massive population+very small space+needs access to goods= weird, walk-up stores.
That really only applies to structures built before the ADA passed in 1990, though. Or, I suppose, a shop with less than 25 employees.

These days (and believe me, this is something I am way more familiar with than I want to be), everything has to be wheelchair accessible, height adjustable, and can't stick out from the wall more than 4 inches.

Furthermore, there's a difference between a 2-story store and a freezer section down 3 steps that a norseman might have to carry an octogenarian through. The former probably also has an elevator. The latter probably has angry local newspaper articles and ADA compliance notices :p

Gas "Just had a coworker injured by a 6 inch wheelchair lift in a courtroom 2 weeks ago" Bandit

That really only applies to structures built before the ADA passed in 1990, though. Or, I suppose, a shop with less than 25 employees.
Sooooo.... exactly what I just said? I'm pretty sure this was covered, if not explicitly, in my and @netsirk's posts.

Alright, we're going in circles now. SOMEONE POST FUNNY PICTURES, DAMMIT!

GasBandit

Staff member

This guy thinks a lot of himself, and I think he's confused. I'm pretty sure sling-around-heavy-blocks-of-ice-like-it-is-nothing Kristoff could take anybody who thinks a starving street rat would be a fair fight. I also kinda feel Eric could trounce Flynn Rider, but I don't know how to quantify that.

All of the princes likely grew up learning combat, both armed and unarmed. So all of the last row should probably be moved up to at least fair fight, assuming the person making the list has some training as well. Aladdin may be the only one that should be moved down to the last line.

Also, Hercules, a demi-god who faced off against actual gods, would probably straight up kill them as well.

GasBandit

Staff member
All of the princes likely grew up learning combat, both armed and unarmed. So all of the last row should probably be moved up to at least fair fight, assuming the person making the list has some training as well. Aladdin may be the only one that should be moved down to the last line.

Also, Hercules, a demi-god who faced off against actual gods, would probably straight up kill them as well.
I mostly agree with you. But I also think the difference between the kill tier and rock my shit tier is not the combat ability of the subject, but on whether they can be relied upon to not eviscerate him once he is incapacitated. A lion is a lion, and we're probably talking pre-Belle Beast, so probably would tear his throat out without a second thought... but Herc and Li Shang stand at least a decent chance of thinking "man, that guy is out cold, what was that clown even thinking" and at least not deliver a coup de grace.

This guy thinks a lot of himself, and I think he's confused. I'm pretty sure sling-around-heavy-blocks-of-ice-like-it-is-nothing Kristoff could take anybody who thinks a starving street rat would be a fair fight. I also kinda feel Eric could trounce Flynn Rider, but I don't know how to quantify that.
I'd like to point out that Eric is not only a trained sailor but figured out how to impale a giant sea witch with a boat, and Philip fought and killed a magic dragon with only a sword. Both these guys can think on their feet, so maybe he should move them up a few tiers.