Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

It's a European rule, and prevents things calling themselves things they aren't. We have some "CHampagne-style" beers in Belgium which are, you know, brewed/bottled/etc according to Champagne traditions. Miller High Life is....Not that.
"The champagne of beers" isn't even a statement of what it is. It's a simile, it's not claiming to be champagne or even champagne style, in the same way that "chicken of the sea" is not claiming to be chicken (it's a brand of tuna)

Last edited:
"The champagne of beers" isn't even a statement of what it is. It's a similar, it's not claiming to be champagne or even champagne style, in the same way that "chicken of the sea" is not claiming to be chicken (it's a brand of tuna)
Yes, and a simile has to hold up. There are actual "champagne of beer"s out there using Champagne techniques and so on, which this doesn't.
If I claim my beer is the Rolls Royce of beers, and it's a high-class luxury beer, that might fly. Claiming that while it's Bud Light won't.
I don't make the laws.

I mean, there's a record number of women refusing to get married or settling, so I'm guess those gamer dudes are self-sufficient.
No no, they still want the mommy girlfriend who lives with them to do all the dishes and laundry.

They just don't want to actually make themselves appealing as partners in any way, 'cuz thinking of another person is hard! They'll just go online and say fucked up misogynist things instead.

Yes, and a simile has to hold up. There are actual "champagne of beer"s out there using Champagne techniques and so on, which this doesn't.
If I claim my beer is the Rolls Royce of beers, and it's a high-class luxury beer, that might fly. Claiming that while it's Bud Light won't.
I don't make the laws.
American advertising cases have a 'puffery' defense that was established back in English common law. Basically, if a court determines that a claim is obviously bullshit that no one would believe as fact, or if the statement is scientifically unmeasureable, or obvious opinion, it doesn't have to be strictly true. Everyone can say their stuff is the "best" in general terms, because it's a matter of opinion. And, at least in the USA, Nobody would believe that Miller Light is the "champagne of beers"..it falls into the "obvious bullshit marketing exaggeration" category.

Though, you know, there's a bit of a gamble using this kind of language. Red Bull recently settled a lawsuit against its "Red Bull gives you wings" slogan.

GasBandit

Staff member
American advertising cases have a 'puffery' defense that was established back in English common law. Basically, if a court determines that a claim is obviously bullshit that no one would believe as fact, or if the statement is scientifically unmeasureable, or obvious opinion, it doesn't have to be strictly true. Everyone can say their stuff is the "best" in general terms, because it's a matter of opinion. And, at least in the USA, Nobody would believe that Miller Light is the "champagne of beers"..it falls into the "obvious bullshit marketing exaggeration" category.

Though, you know, there's a bit of a gamble using this kind of language. Red Bull recently settled a lawsuit against its "Red Bull gives you wings" slogan.
And conversely, Japanese law says that if someone makes a public claim that damages your reputation, they are liable to you for damages, even if that claim is true/factual. Some crazy shit out there.

It's a European rule, and prevents things calling themselves things they aren't. We have some "CHampagne-style" beers in Belgium which are, you know, brewed/bottled/etc according to Champagne traditions. Miller High Life is....Not that.
I’ll concede that I didnt know champagne beer was a thing. There is virtually 0 knowledge of that in the US, just the sparkling wine.