Games You Own, But Have Not Finished:

Status
Not open for further replies.
My other thread reminded me of this:
What games you got left un-finished? Why?

Final Fantasy XII - As described in the other thread, I can't get past the level up system they used or the single player MMO feeling.

Xenosaga 1 & 2 - Tried a few times to get into the first part, but 1hr cut scenes are bland characters just turned me off before I could really get into it. Why do I own pt2? It was given to me as a gift. :facepalm:

Prince of Persia 1/2/3 - Heard so much about these for so long, figured I'd give it a go. Found a package deal of all 3 for $30 so I picked them up. Played the first one all the way through, and really enjoyed it.... then I played pt2 and was like "WTF?". Games like that really need some kind of direction, I spent so much damn time wanderering around between "times" with no clue where to go, and the map was terrible. None the less, I got near the end, and just couldn't stomach it anymore. Needless to say, I didn't play pt3.

Patapon - Fun for a day or two, really addictive. Problem? I play most of my games with constant distraction. Pets, GF, my GF watching TV, playing an MMO at the same time, listening to music, etc. This game, you MUST give it your full attention or you're going to lose over and over. I couldn't give it that kind of attention long enough to finish it. Still, great game.

These are the ones off the top of my head, I might have a couple more I'll remember when I get home.

C

Chibibar

Xenosaga 2 and 3 (I DID finish one but need to play again cause I forgot most of the stories)

Final Fantasy XII (yea... I got pretty far but forgot about it)

The World ends with You (on Joshua story... hate that prick)

Fallout 3 (Download and mods keep me from my main story)

You should really give Xenosaga another try. The long cutscenes ARE annoying, but I find the story more than makes up for it... especially in the last game, where they stop padding it out and resolve it.

As for games that I own buy haven't finished...

Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer - Honestly... I never even make it out of the first City. The furthest I've gotten is beating the Spirit Bear outside of the city and then I just lost all interest.

Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia - Because it WON'T FUCKING RUN. The patches don't do anything ether. This is a shoddy piece of shit... which is a shame because I played an Alpha build of it when it was still in development and it was fucking fun as hell.

Digimon Adventure 2 - I put 40-50 hours into it years ago and I just never got back to it.

Dragon Quest 7 - I put over a hundred hours into this and only JUST started the second disk. Kept getting killed by the same fucking boss too... I think it's the one in the town with the winged people.

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction

I got pretty far into it, but it got so repetitive and the story wasn't enough to make me care.

Knights of the Old Republic

I was loving it, but life got in the way. Doubt I'll ever have time to play it through unless it comes out in a portable version.

Shadow of the Colossus - I got bored of it. It's an amazing game, but around the 13th Colossus, I always get bored.

.hack//Outbreak - PS2 died as I started it, and my .hack//Mutation save got deleted in the intervening time. I don't really feel like playing through two games again just so I can play Outbreak.

Deadrising - Whenever I tried to go through the main storyline, I always got killed around the time I had to fight the one guy with the Sniper Rifle.

Thief: Deadly Shadows - ...I'm not sure why, actually. -reinstalls-

Neverwinter Nights - It just got old around Chapter 3.

Fun Size said:

I was loving it, but life got in the way. Doubt I'll ever have time to play it through unless it comes out in a portable version.
Make time! Playing 15minutes a day if you have to and just save over and over! REALLY really worth it.

Prototype - because I just bought it a few days ago and just haven't gotten through it yet.

Dungeon Seige 2 - bought it and tried playing it, but the camera angles and the way the game was setup just frustrated me and so I quit. Picked up playing a different game and never thought about it again until now. I may still have it laying around somewhere.

There are a bunch of other games that I have not finished, but for one reason or another, no longer own.

too name a few

Fallout 3
Bioshock
Zack and Wiki
Mass Effect
Blue Dragon
Dead Rising
LoZ: Phantom Hourglass
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Beautiful Katamari

M

Mr_Chaz

Simon the Sorceror 2 and Monkey Island 3. Both great games, but just too god darn random. When the combinations of use A with B get that obscure I just stop enjoying the game, even if the jokes are still good.

Battletoads (used to own it for years, could never, EVER beat it)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (never owned it, but played it either renting or borrowing it from a friend, just never had the chance)
Monkey Island 4 (could never get past the Monkey Kombat part)
Final Fantasy XII (I was bored stiff playing this; never even got past the introduction part of the game. Only got as far as some king getting assassinated or something. BOR-ING.)

Shegokigo said:
Reasons? I could not imagine having played Fallout 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect or Blue Dragon and not finishing them. :bush:

Well got busy with work and stuff. I have been wanting to go back and play them but I had to move back in with my parents for a few months while I save some cash before I move to a new apartment. So my TV is in a box along with most of my games. I hooked up my 360 but I don't get much time to play it right now since it is hooked up to the main TV and I can't kick my parents off of the set. I would have it hooked up to my TV but sadly I am having to sleep on the couch since my old room is being used for storage and they haven't got a chance to clear it out yet.

I've finished most games I own. With the exception of a few campaigns from Heroes of Might & Magic IV 'cause I got bored of the game.

Then again, the only really 'long' game I own is Morrowind. You can argue I haven't finished it because I haven't done all the sidequests, but yeah, that's nitpicking.

L

Le Quack

There are several games I didnt finish in the late 90's.

I never beat all the Duke Nukem Missions; I never beat Doom all the way through.
I only just now finished FF7 (I didnt realize after beating Ultimate Weapon just how close I was to the end)
FF8- I tried and tried but couldnt get passed a couple bosses and I have no tolerance for grinding.
FF9- Got to the last disk and just stopped.
Resident Evil 1- I've beaten all the other games, but one was too scary for me as a kid.

I can't finish games, I get bored with them too quickly. I seriously think the last game I actually finished was Super Mario 3, but you could use the warp whistles to pretty much go straight to the end.

I literally rarely finish a game. It's pretty sad.

Current games I've pretty much stopped playing would include Prototype, Infamous, Overlord 2 and Ghostbusters.

Something new comes out and I move on or I just lose interest in the case of Prototype and Infamous. I dunno.

I have to say I find this amazing. As someone who plays games for the full experience, including the story (lacking though they may be), I find there are almost no games that I do not finish. The idea of starting one just to throw it off for another is completely mind boggling to me, particularly if it's actually a good game. I guess I would wonder why start them at all.

And for those who did not finish the Monkey Island games: you people are dead to me now.

MONKEEEEY KOOOMBAAAT!

Shakey said:
I can't finish games, I get bored with them too quickly. I seriously think the last game I actually finished was Super Mario 3, but you could use the warp whistles to pretty much go straight to the end.
Frankie said:

Current games I've pretty much stopped playing would include Prototype, Infamous, Overlord 2 and Ghostbusters.

Something new comes out and I move on or I just lose interest in the case of Prototype and Infamous. I dunno.
Why buy games at all? Why not just rent them?

Fun Size said:
I have to say I find this amazing. As someone who plays games for the full experience, including the story (lacking though they may be), I find there are almost no games that I do not finish. The idea of starting one just to throw it off for another is completely mind boggling to me, particularly if it's actually a good game. I guess I would wonder why start them at all.
I'm with you there, it takes alot to keep me from finishing something (see my reasons above)

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter

I just kind of stopped. Not too sure why. I always want to go back to it as well.

Persona 4

Abandoned after I started having obligations. I can play that game all day, so I stopped when I had to start budgeting my time. Will get back to it soon. Probably friday.

Shegokigo said:
Multiplayer usually doesn't require finishing a game. I'll also go back to a game from time to time and hit little bits of it, but I just don't commit enough time to finish them.

Oh man, this is depressing. Games I'm in the middle of, love, and do plan on finishing (in no order):

Chrono Trigger DS
Phantom Hourglass
Fable II
Mass Effect
Fallout 3
Bioshock
PORTAL (srsly)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (I think I have one case left)

I play really slowly and get distracted by real life and/or other games. And when I don't feel well I generally lose interest in gaming.

Good lord, this would be a long list.

The major reason for most games is standard, but common:

"I just haven't had enough time"

That has changed recently due to losing my job, so I'm getting back to games I never got to finish.

Here's the list of games I haven't finished yet that I plan to get back to.

Fallout 3
Dead Space
SF4- Haven't unlocked all the secret characters yet, so I'm counting that as unfinished
Hellgate London- This one I actually lost interest in
Prototype- because I just got it last week
MGS4

C

chakz

Fun Size said:

I got pretty far into it, but it got so repetitive and the story wasn't enough to make me care.

Not to be a prick but in a game like Ultimate destruction why would you care about the story? In such a game the story only exists to loosely tie together the parts where you run around and crush stuff, which is pretty much the whole point of the game. I don't really care why the hulk would turn a tour buss into surf board and downtown Manhattan into his own personal skate park but that isn't going to stop me from doing it.

Maybe its a taste thing. I watched a guy run around Red faction and do nothing but arbitrarily murder people and it seemed as about as much fun as mowing the lawn to me but what ever. To each his own.

Second on Kotor. I have trouble with the whole "Everyone can be a jedi" thing, and the story didn't really grab me.

Another for FF12. I like the game but Its never really pulled me along like other rpgs. Also: I have trouble with rpgs where all my characters are capable doing everything, I like roles.

chakz said:
Fun Size said:

Not to be a * but in a game like Ultimate destruction why would you care about the story? In such a game the story only exists to loosely tie together the parts where you run around and crush stuff, which is pretty much the whole point of the game. I don't really care why the hulk would turn a tour buss into surf board and downtown Manhattan into his own personal skate park but that isn't going to stop me from doing it.

Maybe its a taste thing. I watched a guy run around Red faction and do nothing but arbitrarily murder people and it seemed as about as much fun as mowing the lawn to me but what ever. To each his own.

Second on Kotor. I have trouble with the whole "Everyone can be a jedi" thing, and the story didn't really grab me.

Another for FF12. I like the game but Its never really pulled me along like other rpgs. Also: I have trouble with rpgs where all my characters are capable doing everything, I like roles.
I wasn't necessarily playing for the story, but the actual play didn't engage me after a while. I would have totally finished KOTOR if not time constraints. As it is, the only free time I have to play games are on my PSP when I'm on the stationary bike.

C

chakz

Actually these days the most troubling games for me are the rpgs that are stocked full of obscure extras that you have to insane things to obtain. I'm a little bit ocd so where as most of the time I'd just love to play through the game for the story and to say "Its done" Part of me wants to get everything along the way because I probably won't pick it up later. Sometimes have to say "Enough is Enough" like with ffx. (Recently) Beat it without the damned legendary weapons. I bout an rpg not a crappy chocobo racing game.

-rant over-

Shegokigo said:
Shakey said:
Frankie said:

Fun Size said:
I'm with you there, it takes alot to keep me from finishing something (see my reasons above)
Because where I live it's a fucking stroke of stupid dumb luck if our local shit shack videostore even brings in most games. They still only have one tiny 4 foot by 4 foot rack for all the current gen systems.

So I order and buy and download games.

C

chakz

Fun Size said:
chakz said:
[quote="Fun Size":1inw9r8g]Hulk: Ultimate Destruction

Not to be a * but in a game like Ultimate destruction why would you care about the story? In such a game the story only exists to loosely tie together the parts where you run around and crush stuff, which is pretty much the whole point of the game. I don't really care why the hulk would turn a tour buss into surf board and downtown Manhattan into his own personal skate park but that isn't going to stop me from doing it.

I wasn't necessarily playing for the story, but the actual play didn't engage me after a while. I would have totally finished KOTOR if not time constraints. As it is, the only free time I have to play games are on my PSP when I'm on the stationary bike.[/quote:1inw9r8g]

i can understand that. After I'm done with Rouge Galaxy I might give kotor another shot. It glichted out on me the last time I played it.

I am enjoying the crap out of RG though. The story is kind of weak, but I really love the game play, I even enjoy the mini games which I usually find to be trite throwaway games crammed into the game to artificially lengthen game play. The only thing that bothers me is the cutscenes the game goes into every time you use a special attack or power up. They can be skipped but it kind of breaks the combat pacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.