Games You Own, But Have Not Finished:

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a year ago I went through and attempted to beat all of my old games.

The only one I couldn't manage to finish was the Ren & Stimpy game for the Super Nintendo.
Not even not finish, I couldn't get past the first damn level... :explode:

Frankie said:
STALKER is a rough God damn game.
I got to the very last area and had no armor left, so I was getting one-shotted by everything. I said "Fuck it" and just uninstalled it. The game is fun, but it's not fun enough to justify me reloading the same fight for the 50th time just so I can advance 20 feet and get popped by someone else.

CynicismKills said:
Oh Jesus yes. Also, the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game in two words:

Dam level.
Is that the swimming one, disabling the bombs? I actually never had troubles with that level.

What I DID have troubles with was the godforsaken level where, somewhere in the sewers, you have to do this super short jump. It's near fucking impossible to make it and I've NEVER been able to.

ThatNickGuy said:
CynicismKills said:
Oh Jesus yes. Also, the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game in two words:

Dam level.
Is that the swimming one, disabling the bombs? I actually never had troubles with that level.

What I DID have troubles with was the godforsaken level where, somewhere in the sewers, you have to do this super short jump. It's near fucking impossible to make it and I've NEVER been able to.
I refuse to believe anyone who says they had no trouble with the seaweed parts. It's like a buddy of mine who claims to have completed Super Ghouls n Ghosts all the way through twice. I'll fucking believe that shit when I see it.

ThatNickGuy said:
You're supposed to walk over it, not jump.
Frankie said:
I refuse to believe anyone who says they had no trouble with the seaweed parts. It's like a buddy of mine who claims to have completed Super Ghouls n Ghosts all the way through twice. I'll fucking believe that shit when I see it.
Go to my video game speedrun thread. Tons of proof there.
Olorin said:
Frankie said:
What?
In the butt?

Seriously! I mean, sure, I had troubles with it and had to retry it several times, but I always managed to get through it. It's that fucking mini-jump that always got me.

ThatNickGuy said:
Seriously! I mean, sure, I had troubles with it and had to retry it several times, but I always managed to get through it. It's that fucking mini-jump that always got me.
OK, see, that I believe. And yes, you're supposed to walk.

Games I (used) to own and did not finish:

Forza 2
Bioshock
Assassins Creed
GTA 4
Lord of the Rings online (hehe)
Fable
Need for Speed most wanted
Ninja Gaiden 1 (xbox)
Legend of Zelda - the windwaker (was that the name of the gamecube one?)

only to name a few, there were quite a few more...

Reason? Got bored with it and/or didn't have the time to finish it.

Shegokigo said:
For all those saying "I didn't have enough time to finish it", why the would you buy a new game after that?
Because there's always hope? :)

And the time spent with the game, although not being able to finish it, is still worth it?

Andi said:

And the time spent with the game, although not being able to finish it, is still worth it?
To me, that's like reading a book and not finishing the last chapter, to instead buy another book and start on that.

A

Abalistar

Just to keep this list in the realm of "not too insanely long to type," I'm only including PS2, Wii, GCN, PS3, DS, and PSP. Or also known as "the systems actually hooked up/I'm playing sort of regularly."

Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters - Currently playing
Gurumin - Currently playing
GTA 4 - Fun, I dig the story, but it's really easy to put it to the side when you have to replay a whole mission 5 times in a row and burn 40 minutes of playtime. It'll eventually be beat.
Dead Space - Bought it on sale, then just sort of got put to the side for other games.
Dark Sector - Playing at the moment
The Darkness - Got it in a buy 1 get 1 free sale, so hasn't been a priority
Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway - Started playing then got pushed to the side. Wanting to get the other 2 games before I go back.
Onechanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers - I mostly bought it to have that awesome name on my shelf.
MadWorld - Currently playing, kind of. It takes effort to get me to turn on my Wii.
House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return - Not sure why
XIII - Got pushed to the side, never got back to it.
Tales of Legendia - Keeps getting pushed to the side for other RPGs(I don't like playing multiple RPGs at once)
Sly 3 - Currently playing
Resident Evil: Dead Aim - Sold my first PS2 before I beat it, haven't gone back to it.
Persona 3: FES - It's fucking LONG... currently playing.
Okami - Got it on sale for $4, going to get to some day.
Killzone - Got about 80% through, then it got pushed to the side for RE5 and Resistance 2. Haven't gotten back to it yet.
Killer7 - Tried twice... Such an awesome game, but I'd rather watch someone play it. Will go back to again.
Jak 2 - Frustrating mother fucking piece of shit. Grinded my way to the 60% mark, then booted it up to play, spaced out, forgot that the menu defaults on "new game" instead of "load game," accidentally started a new game over my save. Unsure if I'm going to try again.
God of War - I dunno. Just got pushed to the side.
Ghosthunter - Got pushed to the side for other games.
FFXII - Kinda got pushed to the side for Persona 3.
Blitz: The League - Pushed to the side.
Viewtiful Joe - Hit a point, saved, went back, didn't know wtf I was doing. Need to try again.
Ultimate Spider-Man - Pushed to the side, problem forcing myself to turn on Wii.
Skies of Arcadia: Legends - Got pushed to the side for a long enough time I'll have to restart it. So it's on the very back burner now.
RE: Code Veronica X - For some reason the controls feel ultra loose. Having trouble getting into it.
RE 0 - Got really far, cornered myself into a "I'm fucked" situation, went back and restarted, hit the same point, and just pushed it to the side for some reason.
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within - Pushed to the side long enough I gotta restart. Kind of because it's not nearly as good as SoT.
Metroid Prime 2 - Pushed to the side.
Ikaruga - Because it's fucking hard.
Baten Kaitos - Because it sucks and it's on my trade list.
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - Got distracted
Pokemon Leaf Green - I never seem to beat Pokemon games. I put 30-40 hours then lose steam.
Sonic Chronicles - One of those games I just play for 30 minutes every now and then.
Resident Evil: Deadly Silence - Beat another version, so don't really care if I beat it or not.
Metal Slug 7 - Just got it, currently playing.
Dragon Quest 4 - Got it, played for 30 minutes, pushed to the side.
Dementium - Pushed to the side, kind of forgot I had it.

On top of all those, I've probably got another 4 or 5 PS1 games I haven't beaten, 6 or 7 Dreamcast games, probably most of my NES games, and about half of my SNES and Genesis games. I have a bad habit of just pushing games aside for other games, or buying them on a whim and not giving them much of a shot. Also not including PC games, because I have a REALLY hard time completing PC games for some reason. I just lose drive to boot it up after a couple hours. I can probably count the PC games I've completed on one hand.

Fun Size said:
I have to say I find this amazing. As someone who plays games for the full experience, including the story (lacking though they may be), I find there are almost no games that I do not finish. The idea of starting one just to throw it off for another is completely mind boggling to me, particularly if it's actually a good game. I guess I would wonder why start them at all.
It's easy. Most people play games simply as something entertaining to do in free time. They don't necessarily give a shit about the story or ending or anything.

Shegokigo said:
For all those saying "I didn't have enough time to finish it", why the would you buy a new game after that?
Easy. Sales and deals. A solid 60-70% of the games I own were bought on sale, clearance, or just simply super cheap. Or I traded someone for multiple games, and just didn't get around to 1 or 2 of them. When you pay almost nothing for the game, it's easy to buy a game you want to play, but not necessarily play now. So they get shifted behind everything else.

Shegokigo said:
Andi said:

To me, that's like reading a book and not finishing the last chapter, to instead buy another book and start on that.
But you don't have to read a page over and over and over again until you get so frustrated you throw the book at the wall.

A

Abalistar

Shakey said:
Shegokigo said:
Andi said:

But you don't have to read a page over and over and over again until you get so frustrated you throw the book at the wall.
You do if the author is a fucking idiot and his/her writing makes no sense.

Or you're an idiot.

Shegokigo said:
Shakey said:
Maybe you should read easier books? :slywink:
Somehow, that made me lol...

And yeah, btw, I also got unfinished books. And unfinished DVD's in my shelves...

If something doesn't manage to get my full, undivided attention (by sucking me completely in...), why bother finishing it? At least, I AM thankful for the time it got my attention and helped me kill some time. If I don't finish it: Well, so what, it's not as if my life would depend on knowing how a certain story ends or so.

Why do I play games that I do not finish?

For the joy they give during the time I actually play them.

If I have the feeling of being obliged to finish a game, just to see it through and finish it: Personally, for me that's not fun and that's not enjoyable any more.

And most games tend to be just not enjoyable anymore after a while... (happens more often with games than with books or movies, btw.) So I quit playing them and tend to another (momentarily) joyful game.

Would you consider that wrong, shego? ;-)

I haven't finished The Darkness yet. I liked the beginning of it but got distracted by other games. It is my goal to finish it this summer, though.

Limiting myself to games I currently own...
Dungeon Siege - Made it quite a ways through the original, then bought the pack with LoA included, on hold until I can play it multiplayer with the wife.
Myst III: Exile - On hold until we can finish Riven so that we can go through Exile together.
Warcraft III - Lost my install discs (and my key). Still installed on my computer along with all my saves, but can't play it.
Warcraft II - Finished all but the last couple of missions for each race, usurped by Starcraft.
Starcraft/Brood War - Same as above. Want to finish, but such a hassle to drag out the old machine(s) to play it.
Master of Orion III - Because it sucks.
Dungeon Keeper/DK II - Hilarious and fun, but getting out the old machine to play it is a pain.
Thief/Thief II - These are extra special. I actually bought the specific 4.1 surround system for my SBLive! card so I could play this game...and then never hooked it up. I've played through a number of levels, but the speakers are still in the box. Again, getting out the old machine is a pain.
The Ultimate RPG Archives - Just bought it for The Bard's Tale, the rest can go hang. I've finished BT I & II, but haven't even started III yet. Not sure I ever will.
The Bard's Tale (the new one) - Waiting until the wife and I can enjoy it together
Bad Mojo - Waiting until we can enjoy it together
Flashback - Neat, but never really thrilled me
Black & White/Creature Isle - 1) I had so much fun playing the tutorial, I never really made it past the first world or two. 2) I hate creature management.
Risk/RiskII/CivII - Wanted to play them at the time, got sidetracked, haven't gone back
CivIII - See above
The Crystal Key - Didn't like it
Morrowind - She's finished it, I got caught up in the side quests and 'perfecting' my character.
FFVII - Modern computers are too fast, the old one is a pain to set up.

Many of the 'old machine is a pain' games were put on halt after a reinstall and just didn't want to have to set everything back up again, replay through the old levels, etc.

That's all I can think of without digging through some boxes marked 'ancient history' (NES, SNES, Intellivision, etc)

--Patrick

i have a real problem with not finishing most games.

>.> most pc games i buy i never finish.

diablo, fallout 1 & 2, c&c 3, bioshock, the list goes on and on.

a ton of console games as well.

ikaruga, MGS 2, rogue leader, ico, mario sunshine... i can't remember all of them.

and the ds? oh dear. *takes a deep breath*
henry hatsworth, etrian odyssey, final fantasy tactics advance, advance wars: DoR,... the list goes on and on

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun

I got to the last section of the last level and every time that I assaulted the enemy base the game would fatally crash.

J

Joe Johnson

Most games that I buy, I buy for the multiplayer aspect. There are some single player that I still buy though.

The games I remember not finishing:

Assassin's Creed - got to be boring. I liked the concept, but after awhile it was just doing the same things over and over again. Could they not have at least put in a few more styles of "side-quest"?

Halo CE - Too many rooms and hallways that look identical. I do have H2 and H3, but purely for the multiplayer. I still contend that H2/3 has the best console interface for multiplayer (easy to get groups together, easy to switch modes/gametypes, I'm absolutely sick of games where you have to quit out of the game lobby if you want to alter the game mode itself).

Burnout Revenge - was fun racing cars, but I don't feel the need to complete every frickin' race/race track.

Gears of War - I'm not nearly macho enough to play that game the whole way through. The dialogue just made me want to puke, and really? Cut-scenes? I have to watch the entire cut-scene if I die? I can't skip past it? FU!

M

Mr_Chaz

Shegokigo said:
Joe Johnson said:
I have to watch the entire cut-scene if I die? I can't skip past it? FU!
I can't fucking stand when games do that. Especially near bosses etc.
The end of Mass Effect for example. Mid fight. That one bugged me no end. First run through anyway. Second run through the fight wasn't a challenge.

Mr_Chaz said:
The end of Mass Effect for example. Mid fight. That one bugged me no end. First run through anyway. Second run through the fight wasn't a challenge.
Wouldn't know, I whooped Saren. :tongue:

After getting stuck on a level, fight, puzzle or what ever; a game just loses its fun factor. I hate when I am doing the exact same thing over and over, and losing. Then I look up and I've been losing at this 'game' for 3+ hours, I'll hang it up and move on to the next fun 'waste of time.'

I like to look at my games as games, and not some thing I HAVE to do.

fade

Staff member
Everything but Legacy of Kain, the RE series, Silent Hill 1-3, The Suffering, and Fable.

Why? Because the gameplay gets really boring on almost all games after a few hours. Like I said in another thread, I'm very tired of "hit with boring, self-aiming attacks but don't let lifebar drop!" mechanics. The first Devil May Cry had a neat new approach to game mechanics, but it was repetitive enough (and had such a trite story) that I didn't want to play past the 3 day rental.

-God of War II (friend borrowed the PS2, haven't gotten it back yet)
-Overlord (just never got around to finishing it)
-Dark Sector (ditto; it was good for a game that cost me $9, but just haven't really gotten around to it)
-Guitar Hero: Aerosmith (Gamestop did a deal where you buy the game for $10 and get a free wired guitar; haven't even opened it yet)
-Lost Planet (I bought it from a guy for $4, can't complain)
-Blue Dragon (was in Japanese, and, while I speak it well enough to translate it on the fly, I'd get a stumbling block every so often. That and I don't normally like RPGs.)

Status
Not open for further replies.