Gas Bandit's Political Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think you are blinded by rage, my friend. Look at the long range implications. What we are saying is - theoretically speaking - the torture of suspected international terrorists during a war is less an abuse of power than the sacking of a PRIVATELY HELD BUSINESS based on political affiliation.

You can believe what you want, but speaking constitutionally, the latter is more an abuse than the former.

And closing businesses because they donated to the other political party wouldn't be "I'm the GODDAMNED PRESIDENT, and can do whatever the fuck I want because of it." kind of attitude? Whatever Bush or any other president did or didn't do has no bearing on what is going on with the closings of these dealerships.

Edrondol said:
I think you are blinded by rage, my friend. Look at the long range implications. What we are saying is - theoretically speaking - the torture of suspected international terrorists during a war is less an abuse of power than the sacking of a PRIVATELY HELD BUSINESS based on political affiliation.

You can believe what you want, but speaking constitutionally, the latter is more an abuse than the former.
We have confirmed cases of sitting U.S. attorneys fired for political affiliation, and confirmed cases of the hackest of political hacks in charge of hiring people way over her pay grade, with a litmus test of "how much do you love President Bush?".

Torture is a different subject. No matter the situation, no matter the person or persons, it is a legally defined WAR CRIME per the Geneva Conventions. A treaty which the United States is a signatory to. I reject any attempt to justify it's use, and question the integrity, sanity, and soul of anyone who would endorse it's use in any circumstance. We are human beings. We are AMERICANS. And we are above such things. To say otherwise reduces us to the level of animals.

And I'm sorry I brought it up in the context of the Chrysler closings. It has no place in that discussion. A discussion that can go round and round all day with pot>kettle>pot>kettle recriminations.

DarkAudit said:
Edrondol said:

We have confirmed cases of sitting U.S. attorneys fired for political affiliation, and confirmed cases of the hackest of political hacks in charge of hiring people way over her pay grade, with a litmus test of "how much do you love President Bush?".
The attorney thing is not a good analogy, either, mainly because it is the president's RIGHT to get rid of them if he chooses. That goes the same for all presidents - Republican or Democrat. In the Chrysler case, it is not an appointment or firing but a systematic closing of privately owned businesses based on their support of the opposition party - and getting rid of several millions of dollars in donations to that party.

It is his right to get rid of them if he chooses, but to have that power in the hands of those who would not qualify as an intern in most other administrations, and to also have political litmus tests for getting the jobs in the first place, are NOT his right.

DarkAudit said:
It is his right to get rid of them if he chooses, but to have that power in the hands of those who would not qualify as an intern in most other administrations, and to also have political litmus tests for getting the jobs in the first place, are NOT his right.
But see, it doesn't matter what YOU think about the person that was in power - he was in power legitimately. And he did nothing wrong. I didn't agree with it and thought that it was a bad precedent, but what he did was legal. Immoral? Maybe. Illegal? Nope. Not in the least. If these closings turn out to be based on political affiliations and not the good of the company, then it will NOT be legal and a stark abuse of power.

Iaculus said:
Just a few small steps towards the dark side, chief. One minute you're getting shirty with someone in an Internet political debate, the next you're signing a petition to have them tried for grand treason while stroking your gun in a vaguely Freudian manner.

On the plus side, the dark side has cookies. Evil cookies.
Hah, I'd never stroke my gun in a vaguely Freudian manner....I'd do it in an overtly Freudian manner :Leyla:

Armadillo said:
Hopefully there's nothing to this story, but it's been circulating under the radar for the past week and a half or so...

Furor Grows Over Partisan Car Dealer Closings

In a nutshell, it appears that all but one of the Chrysler dealerships that have been slated for closure donated primarily to the Republican Party in recent years. Now, it COULD be a coincidence, or evidence that Republican donors make crummy car salesmen, but considering how botched this whole Chrysler fiasco has been, I have my suspicions. I need more information to come to a final determination, but it doesn't look good.
I think Nate Silver completley demolishes that potential scandal. Basically, he looked at overall car dealer donations, and found that they went to Republicans just as much the donations of the dealers shut down. I mean, you've got a profession that dominated by older white men who are small business owners and fairly wealthy. It makes sense that they're going to be overwhelmingly republican.

As to the argument over whether shutting down dealers for their political affiliations or torture is a greater abuse of power - that's an extremely silly argument. They're both horrible. That said, I think torture is the worse abuse of power. It's a war crime. Under US law, you can get the DEATH PENALTY if anyone died during torture (and the Red Cross thinks that dozens, perhaps more than a hundred, people have died at Gitmo and other places due to US abuse). If Obama had shut down car dealers innappropriatly (of course he didn't), the worst thing that would happen would be impeachment - there is no way he'd go to jail over it, and it's more likely he'd just get a slap on the wrist and then not run again in 2012.

Nonetheless, why are we arguing over this? It's like asking whether rape or murder is worse. Can't we agree that they're both crimes that deserve extremely harsh punishments and be done with it?

Since torture is against an international treaty; whereas abuse of power to close down businesses would "only" be againstn ational law, from a theoretical legal point of view, torture would be the worse crime.
That said, both would be horrible abuses of power.

But doesn't have to deal with the aftereffects, either.
Murder vs rape is a classic example of an eternal debate where neither side is truly right, let's not start it. For my €0.02, I think rape is worse by a small margin....At the moment.

Futureking said:
Apparently, a group of firemen took a promotion test. The results were declared null because no black person passed the test. And the class action suit was dismissed by the judge.

http://newsblaze.com/story/200905271345 ... story.html
:facepalm:

Frankly, I really wish that people get promoted based on their ability rather than the colour of their skin.
Yeah, we were talking about this one on the last page. It sounds like New Haven went way overboard in trying to avoid a disparate impact lawsuit. What would be interesting to see is the actual content of the test, because that's really the key to everything.

TeKeo said:
Futureking said:
Apparently, a group of firemen took a promotion test. The results were declared null because no black person passed the test. And the class action suit was dismissed by the judge.

Frankly, I really wish that people get promoted based on their ability rather than the colour of their skin.
Yeah, we were talking about this one on the last page. It sounds like New Haven went way overboard in trying to avoid a disparate impact lawsuit. What would be interesting to see is the actual content of the test, because that's really the key to everything.
How was this thrown out? This is clearly a racially based crime and that fact that it's against white people shouldn't matter. In order for any racially based legislation to be constitutional, it needs to protect EVERYONE EQUALLY, whether they are in the minority or not.

AshburnerX said:
TeKeo said:
Futureking said:

How was this thrown out? This is clearly a racially based crime and that fact that it's against white people shouldn't matter. In order for any racially based legislation to be constitutional, it needs to protect EVERYONE EQUALLY, whether they are in the minority or not.
It doesn't help that the judge is Sotomayor. The right wing sees her as the poster child of affirmative action.

AshburnerX said:
TeKeo said:
Futureking said:

There are many misleading articles about this case. One of the most important things to remember is that Sotomayor found that DISCRIMINATION DID HAPPEN. She (or rather, the lower court opinion that she upheld) didn't throw out the case because they thought discrimination doesn't happen against whites or something stupid like that. However, the law says that, even if the court finds that racial discrimination happened, the government has a chance to try to prove that they had a damn good reason to do so.

The reason the government brought up in trial, the reason that caused the courts to throw the lawsuit out, was that the government could have been sued successfully for discrimination if they DIDN'T invalidate the test. Why? Because Title VII (the relevant law) requires the government to consider the racial impacts of things like tests. I'll quote the relevant part:

"A selection rate for any race, sex, or ethnic group which is less than four-fifths (4/5) (or eighty percent) of the rate for the group with the highest rate will generally be regarded by the Federal enforcement agencies as evidence of adverse impact, while a greater than four-fifths rate will generally not be regarded by Federal enforcement agencies as evidence of adverse impact."

The rates at which blacks and hispanics passed the test were below 80% of the rate whites passed the test. Thus, the courts found that New Haven did have a good reason for being discriminatory, and the lawsuit was thrown out. Basically. It's a bit more complicated than all that, of course, and I'd suggest you read (http://obsidianwings.blogs.com/obsidian ... -case.html) if you want to know more of the story.

Now, I'm not sure if I agree with the ruling. I think the Supreme Court should probably overturn it. But in making the ruling, Sotomayor was following law and precedent - in fact, her problem in this case was a LACK of empathy, not an overabundance of it (like conservatives like to charge her with). She probably should have overturned some of the precedent that led her to this decision - but to simultaniously say she should only follow law and precendent, AND to say she made a bad decision on Ricci, is contradictory.

-- Sat May 30, 2009 4:23 pm --

Futureking said:
It doesn't help that the judge is Sotomayor. The right wing sees her as the poster child of affirmative action.
Yes, and it really pisses me off. She graduated Summa Cum Laude from Princeton, for God's sake. Even if you think she got into Princeton due to affirmative action (which is laughable, as I'll explain below) she clearly proved that she belonged there. Then she went on to Yale Law School, becomming one of the editors of the Yale Law review. Again, that's an extremely high honor to earn, and you HAVE to earn it - race and sex just doesn't come into it.

Moreover, her gender actually HURT her in trying to get into Princeton. You see, Princeton only first admitted females a couple of years before she entered. Princeton was one of the last of the Ivies to become coeducational. There was a lot of resistance to admitting females. To pacify critics, when they first let women in, they explicitly said that they would not take the place of any man. Male attendance would have to remain at the same level; any slots for females would have to be increases in the schools population. Of course, there was only limited housing - so there was a quota for female admittance. Not a minimum quota, but a maximum! Far fewer females than males were admitted - there were four males for every female in her class. The acceptance rate for girls was 14% - for guys, 22%.

And the right wing says she didn't earn what she's gotten in life. What fucking hogwash.

So let me get this straight... it doesn't matter how good you are at something... it doesn't matter how hard you worked to get where you are... because if a group with a different color skin than you do worse as a group, you can have the thing you earned taken away from you because they MIGHT sue?? :explode:

And people wonder why people are calling for Revolution... :facepalm:

AshburnerX said:
So let me get this straight... it doesn't matter how good you are at something... it doesn't matter how hard you worked to get where you are... because if a group with a different color skin than you do worse as a group, you can have the thing you earned taken away from you because they MIGHT sue?? :explode:

Oh come on. Are you really that blind to continuing discrimination in our society? Multiple studies have shown that if you send two resumes that are identical except for the names (one name being "white" and one being "black") the person with the white name will get hired more. It's only been 50 years since lynchings were pretty damn common and blatant discrimination was the norm. Things have changed a lot - but to pretend that things are completely ok now is rediculous.

As I said, I disagree with the ruling. But my God, to imply that REVOLUTION is the answer....the sense of entitlement required to say that, the historical blindness, is breathtaking.

Dieb said:
AshburnerX said:

Oh come on. Are you really that blind to continuing discrimination in our society? Multiple studies have shown that if you send two resumes that are identical except for the names (one name being "white" and one being "black") the person with the white name will get hired more. It's only been 50 years since lynchings were pretty damn common and blatant discrimination was the norm. Things have changed a lot - but to pretend that things are completely ok now is rediculous.

As I said, I disagree with the ruling. But my God, to imply that REVOLUTION is the answer....the sense of entitlement required to say that, the historical blindness, is breathtaking.
Who said anything about wanting a revolution? I was simply saying that it's stupid, stupid things like this which are spurring people towards thinking about it, right and left wing alike. We've become a nation that thinks it's a better idea to simply hire nobody (in case somebody gets offended and decides to sue) than it is to hire people based on merit. It's not even about race anymore... it's about using whatever advantage you have to fuck over anybody who so much as looks at you wrong! Can we PLEASE get some personal accountability taught to our kids?

Dieb said:
There are many misleading articles about this case. One of the most important things to remember is that Sotomayor found that DISCRIMINATION DID HAPPEN. She (or rather, the lower court opinion that she upheld) didn't throw out the case because they thought discrimination doesn't happen against whites or something stupid like that. However, the law says that, even if the court finds that racial discrimination happened, the government has a chance to try to prove that they had a damn good reason to do so.

The reason the government brought up in trial, the reason that caused the courts to throw the lawsuit out, was that the government could have been sued successfully for discrimination if they DIDN'T invalidate the test. Why? Because Title VII (the relevant law) requires the government to consider the racial impacts of things like tests. I'll quote the relevant part:

"A selection rate for any race, sex, or ethnic group which is less than four-fifths (4/5) (or eighty percent) of the rate for the group with the highest rate will generally be regarded by the Federal enforcement agencies as evidence of adverse impact, while a greater than four-fifths rate will generally not be regarded by Federal enforcement agencies as evidence of adverse impact."

The rates at which blacks and hispanics passed the test were below 80% of the rate whites passed the test. Thus, the courts found that New Haven did have a good reason for being discriminatory, and the lawsuit was thrown out. Basically. It's a bit more complicated than all that, of course, and I'd suggest you read (http://obsidianwings.blogs.com/obsidian ... -case.html) if you want to know more of the story.

Now, I'm not sure if I agree with the ruling. I think the Supreme Court should probably overturn it. But in making the ruling, Sotomayor was following law and precedent - in fact, her problem in this case was a LACK of empathy, not an overabundance of it (like conservatives like to charge her with). She probably should have overturned some of the precedent that led her to this decision - but to simultaniously say she should only follow law and precendent, AND to say she made a bad decision on Ricci, is contradictory.
Its actually best if the fire department actually disclose their marking scheme. I mean. Its interviews and written exams. Supposing that affirmative action does exist in the fire department, it would mean that the minorities already have an advantage to begin with. And they still failed.

It's pretty hard to swallow that the white guy with a learning disability, who paid over $1000 for audio books to compensate for his disability, cancelled his part time job to study for the test and lands in No. 6 after all that hard work pays off. And boom, the results were declared null because no black person passed it.

To say that minorities tend to be bad at written exams and therefore are unable to get their promotion is a stereotype in itself. It's demeaning if anything. The tests were already there for years, if not decades. Lots of people have passed it, minority or white. And it just so happens that 2003's batch of minorities happens to be a bad one.

Dieb said:
Futureking said:
Yes, and it really * me off. She graduated Summa * Laude from Princeton, for God's sake. Even if you think she got into Princeton due to affirmative action (which is laughable, as I'll explain below) she clearly proved that she belonged there. Then she went on to Yale Law School, becomming one of the editors of the Yale Law review. Again, that's an extremely high honor to earn, and you HAVE to earn it - race and sex just doesn't come into it.
I agree. What I don't like about her is that she sees herself as superior to other white male judges just because of her skin colour and gender. You have overcome barriers to become a judge? Good for you. So have the other judges, white male or otherwise. They went through years of hell to become judges. She may not be inferior to her peers in terms of ability. However, she is in no way superior to them just because she happens to have a rich experience as a Hispanic woman.

A

Armadillo

Futureking said:
I agree. What I don't like about her is that she sees herself as superior to other white male judges just because of her skin colour and gender. You have overcome barriers to become a judge? Good for you. So have the other judges, white male or otherwise. They went through years of * to become judges. She may not be inferior to her peers in terms of ability. However, she is in no way superior to them just because she happens to have a rich experience as a Hispanic woman.
^This is the major beef with Sotomayor, at least on a non-judicial, race-based level. It's not THAT she's latina, or that she's an "Affirmative Action hire" as Dieb believes the right thinks it is, it's that she seems to think her racial and gender status somehow makes her special/better. The point of equality is to eliminate both detrimental and preferential treatment based on those sorts of traits. In other words, a colorblind society.

As for the firefighter case, I find it laughable that, in the name of tolerance, it became acceptable to believe that black people are bad at written tests. This is the same horseshit thinking the racists have used to hold black people down, except now it's being used (somehow) to "even the playing field." I really, REALLY wish we could start seeing people as individuals, and not part of large, homogenous groups with identical thought patterns and abilities.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Armadillo said:
^This is the major beef with Sotomayor . . . that she seems to think her racial and gender status somehow makes her special/better.
Hasn't this already been refuted earlier in the thread?

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm back. I'm still getting back up to speed so bear with me a day or two. And who knows how long I have before I have to go again >_<

Sotomayor is not an "affirmative action hire," she's a deliberate "historical first." If we turn back the clocks and remember the borking of Miguel Estrada, who democrats blocked specifically because they worried that if he were appointed to the bench, they'd run the risk of Bush getting the distinction of appointing the first hispanic supreme court justice, which they refused to allow to become a possibility. And as for how many of her decisions that went to the supreme court were overturned, the figure is 60% according to newsweek. Yes, that's only 1.3% of her total decisions but it's not the cut and dry ones that get to the supreme court, now is it? As she's being put in the supreme court, it's worth looking at how many of her decisions that were brought before the court were upheld, and the answer is apparently two of five. The fact of the matter however is that unless she suddenly stabs someone in the face on national television, she's the next justice. Her appointment is already fait accompli, but we still can look at the reasons behind it and put them in the "I told you so" book for later.

Let's get some links going -

America's real power struggle is the super rich liberals vs. ordinary plutocrats.

The Russian take on America's whimpering descent into Marxism

This story has been getting a lot of press, but San Diego County officials backed down after warning a couple that they needed a government permit in order to hold Bible studies in their home.

hat is the White House doing to restrict criticism of stimulus projects and is this a violation of the First Amendment?

A freeze warning for New Yorkers in June ... must be all that man-made global warming. Actually, the earth has been cooling for the past eight or so years, and it has corresponded with decreasing solar activity. But the pompous assertions that man exerts the most influence on global climate will not be stopped.

Edrondol said:
Lamont said:
GasBandit said:
Funniest thing I've read in a while.
Yeah, reading was the equivalent of a conservative blog on Democrats. Very one-sided and comical in its glossing of any facts. Who needs facts when we can charge things emotionally? :facepalm:
Well, it's Pravda. Mind you, I'm sure GB posted the link just so we could share a good laugh. Thanks, GB! :)

GasBandit

Staff member
DarkAudit said:
Aw, crap.

We now return you to your regular right-wing fap session.
Yeah, you have to go to washington to get your left wing fap session. This one's mine.

Lamont said:
Well, it's Pravda. Mind you, I'm sure GB posted the link just so we could share a good laugh. Thanks, GB! :)
Pravda being the only russian news source most people in the western hemisphere can name off the top of their heads... if they can name any at all :heythere:

GasBandit said:
DarkAudit said:
Aw, crap.

Yeah, you have to go to washington to get your left wing fap session. This one's mine.

Lamont said:
Pravda being the only russian news source most people in the western hemisphere can name off the top of their heads... if they can name any at all :heythere:
Pravda was a newspaper. The news agencies were Izvestia and TASS. Just off the top of my head. ;)

GasBandit

Staff member
DarkAudit said:
GasBandit said:
DarkAudit said:
Aw, crap.

Lamont said:
Pravda was a newspaper. The news agencies were Izvestia and TASS. Just off the top of my head. ;)
Congratulations on projecting your subjectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.