Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Necronic

Staff member
Ah hell. I'm going deeper into the bait. The idea that you think age is some kind of magic indicator of perspective or good decision making is very much belied by the facts of our current situation. I don't have more of an idea how old you are than you know of me (34 btw), so of this hits too close to home appreciate that my following comments are not meant to paint with a broad brush. There are many it doesn't apply to.

So let's talk about the intelligent decisions that the boomer generation has made. Let's talk about a generation that is approaching retirement with an average savings of less than six figures. Let's talk about a generation that chose to repeatedly vote for candidates who would ensure cuts were made to the universities that they enjoyed for pennies on the dollar that their children would pay, and then they proceed to pontificate how spoiled today's kids are since they can't pay their own way. Let's talk about a generation that believed 18% interest rates were the sign of a healthy economy (and even with those rates, did not manage to save much of anything). Let's talk about a generation who abhors entitlement spending yet is about to be the biggest welfare recipient in the history of the United States through social security and Medicare.

Yes, let's talk about how age grants wisdom.

Dave

Staff member
I heard a comedian say, "I know they are the Greatest Generation and I totally agree with that. But that doesn't mean they were the SMARTEST generation."

Dave

Staff member
EVERYONE VOTE DEMOCRAT!! My brother says he's moving to Mexico if a democrat wins the white house. I told him the president's name wouldn't "roll off his tongue" and his response (I can't make this up!) was: "I'm not like them. If I were to move to Mexico, I would assimilate as soon as possible."

Yeah, THAT kind of talk will go over well!

EVERYONE VOTE DEMOCRAT!! My brother says he's moving to Mexico if a democrat wins the white house. I told him the president's name wouldn't "roll off his tongue" and his response (I can't make this up!) was: "I'm not like them. If I were to move to Mexico, I would assimilate as soon as possible."

Yeah, THAT kind of talk will go over well!
So is he going to be the drug cartel or the victim of the drug cartel?

GasBandit

Staff member
He's gonna get the biggest, most outlandishly colored sombrero he can find, a pair of maracas, and a great big itchy serape, and go around asking exactly what time is siesta time.

Dave

Staff member
I think it's telling he chose Mexico instead of Canada.
I made fun of him by saying he'd choose a country with socialized medicine.[DOUBLEPOST=1456961859,1456961468][/DOUBLEPOST]
But wait, if he wants to elect the guy who wants to wall off Mexico why would he live there?! Crazy person logic at it's finest.
If Drumpf gets elected he won't move - only a democrat.

No, but you see, it's different because he's 'Merican.
It's not like when "they" come over here, because he's not going there to steal their jobs, rape their women, and murder their children.
Totally different.

Reactions: Dei
Former CEO of Chesapeake Energy dies in car crash a day after he is indited for trying to rig bids for oil and natural gas leases.

So who's betting suicide, who's betting alcohol fueled accident, and who's betting someone cut his breaks?
On top of the indictment, one of his major backers cut ties with him that morning.

It's news here because Chesapeake is one of the major players in the Marcellus Shale region, *and* McClendon was vocal in his desire to destroy the coal industry.

I'm going to step right past the "it makes sense because you're young" bait...But what do I know, I'm just a dumb kid with no real world experience (damnit I fell for the bait).
Ah hell. I'm going deeper into the bait. The idea that you think age is some kind of magic indicator of perspective or good decision making is very much belied by the facts of our current situation. I don't have more of an idea how old you are than you know of me (34 btw), so of this hits too close to home appreciate that my following comments are not meant to paint with a broad brush. There are many it doesn't apply to.
Well, I'm now sorry I wasn't more explicit. The only allusion to "age" I made was, "You've just entered a stage of your life where you're finally coming to grips with these concepts" and while it's easy to assume this correlates directly with age, I absolutely know some people grapple with these concepts in their elder years, while some get into them in their teens.

I wasn't talking about age. I was talking about understanding, and alluding to the fact that when someone makes this connection it opens up a whole new way of thinking about value, and often changes their perspective on life, work, and society in rather profound ways.

I'm only a few years older than you, btw, I'll be 40 this month. The reality is that I seriously doubt I know much more than you or have thought much more deeply about these concepts than you, but I do know that you can't simplify them as much as you have and still maintain a mental model that approximates reality.

As far as "the greatest generation" rant you went into - well that's a whole 'nother topic and while they left us with some baggage they also went through hard times and left us with some pretty sweet stuff too, so while I won't get into it, I don't think they deserve the rancor so often thrown at them.

I'm sorry to have started the conversation this way, and apologize for the blatantly condescending tone.

I do think that most people can appreciate some concept of an intrinsic value to a product or service, even if there are disagreements other whether you are using a labor theory of value or Von Mises theory (can't remember what it's called but it's based on the agreed upon concept of value that the marketplace arrives at collectively) or whatever. In general terms they still give similar results.

For instance, would you argue that complex financial instruments like synthetic CDOs represent something of value, or incorrectly rated housing bonds? Or, using my other example, all other things aside, would you agree that polluting a river represents a loss of value? Because that's what my argument was based on. We don't need to come to an agreement about which exact definition of value we use, because all theories of value would agree that both of those instance either represent the absence of value or the loss of it (respectively).

As for my argument only pertaining to what "some" republican candidates feel about regulations maybe I'm off point, but I'm pretty most of them only have negative things to say about regulatory bodies.
You know how last presidential election people were comparing the federal budget to a household budget and trying to show others that the way the federal government runs is absolutely insane, if you applied those rules to a household? Then you'd get people arguing essentially that the two require different economic models because of so many outside factors and forces? This is akin to taking a micro view of a situation and a macro view of a situation.

Sure, the federal budget and deficit doesn't make sense applied to a household, but that's because the federal budget is affected by, and affects, so many others things. Until you take into account the entire picture, you can't really begin to understand why the federal budget is run this way, and why typical micro-economic budgeting procedures used for households aren't a model worth considering.

The same thing is true with value vs wealth.

It's easy to see on a small scale that creating a CDO or polluting the environment has no, or negative, value. Drop an oil well in your garden, and see how many people are interested in buying your produce, no matter how many tests and certifications about its safety you might be able to provide. I worry about the several oil wells that are within 5 miles of my house, because I use well water. We're both tapping into a resource we have rights too, but in many ways they are shared resources.

Argh. This is going to take too long. I'm sorry, I just don't have the time. Let's do dominos.

Increased industry regulation --> Increased costs --> More outsourcing --> Increased tarrifs/taxes --> Reduced world trading power --> Increased consumer costs --> Lower standard of living, higher unemployment

Now you might say, "But we're destroying the environment, and the free market isn't choosing to preserve it!" while the "other side" would say, "Actually we aren't damaging the environment, we care about it, but we believe we can preserve the environment and still conduct this business with limited government interference."

Yet the consumers are actually speaking up. Some are choosing to pay the higher price of Apple devices because they know they are made in environmentally sensitive ways.

By forcing the whole phone industry to adopt these rules, though, you substantially increase costs across the board. No more cheap pay as you go phones.

Who does this hurt the most? The rich?

And this is just one small example of where one person's intrinsic value may agree with yours, but their risk/reward tradeoff isn't necessarily wrong or bad, or environmentally unfriendly - yet you would argue that increased regulation shouldn't be fought. Considering the macro view and all the little factors that go into it, your model may be insufficient to allow you to claim unequivocal that the republican's platform is wrong in an objective/absolute manner.

Again, I'm sorry for being condescending, I shouldn't do that, but this isn't as simple a problem as you paint, and thus your conclusion (and model used to arrive at it) isn't necessarily conclusive.

Now you can pick apart a lot of what I've said above - but keep in mind that this is an example, and not a story I'm interested in spending time defending. It's simply to illustrate that you can't just limit yourself to a single risk/reward analysis with only two variables and expect to come up with a reasonable statement of truth that should apply to every perspective.

The tragedy of the Commons is something that people in the situation are by definition unaware of or cannot regulate themselves, thus requiring oversight from an outside regulator. So the cost of fish may go up due to regulations, but if the fish stock runs out completely, the price will skyrocket. And of course the individual fisherman doesn't want to run the fish stock dry, but they aren't in a position to regulate their own actions without undermining their own business, letting a competitor get an advantage...still at the cost of the fish stock running out.

There are, in fact, a few things which fall under the economic theory tregedy of the commons. However, in many cases, these are actually managed quite well without government oversight. In fact, the original example for the theory, cattle grazing on common land, showed that those who used it turned out to be good stewards of it without outside interference for centuries. That's not always true, and we only have to look to the dust bowl for the effects of this.

There are some things which we need the government to step in on.

There are some things which the market can regulate just fine - either due to social pressure, or the reality that the externality is already internalized and being managed.

Then there are a great deal of things people want to treat as commons, and they are, but the theory doesn't apply because the resource isn't a zero sum game, and one persons use of it doesn't reduce its availability to others.

We can't just say, "Let's get the government to regulate everything" because we know the government isn't perfect. We must be careful in figuring out what cannot be managed by its users, but must be managed, and then make sure the regulation is limited with few side effects and inefficiencies. Everything else can be managed by the users of the resource, perhaps with societal pressure, perhaps by self regulation.

A balanced compromise must be considered, rather than one or the other extreme.

We're apparently getting a Bernie Sanders townhall... on FOX News. This is probably the shrewdest, most brilliant politicking that FOX News has done in awhile: not only do they get to expose their viewers to a guy who is getting massive support from disenfranchised white males (basically the entire Fox News audience) in the same way that Trump does, they get to do it without Hillary mucking things up. So not only is there a chance this will take votes from Trump, it's doing it without giving Hillary support and it's her fault because she turned down the invitation they sent her.

At the same time, it's sort of turned me off from Bernie a bit. He knows what the network is about and decided to show up anyway. Any support he gets from this is going to be from the sort of people who have been undermining his campaign (the so-called BernieBros). He's getting desperate.

Last edited:
This is the first debate I've watched any part of, since I have to vote Tuesday.

Was it that different from previous debates?
Beyond finding the deep end of the cesspool has an ever deeper end? Rallying around torture, war crimes, and general tyranny?

You have a front-runner publicly advocating killing women and children, and forcing the military to carry out those orders. Then you have the other two idiots pledging their support of him if he does in fact get the nomination. This is not hyperbole. This is what "you have to go after the terrorists' families" means. This is what shrugging off a debate question about the military refusing to carry out unlawful orders he might give with a "they will (carry them out)" means.

And don't forget, Cruz blocked aid for Flint before he unblocked it.