Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Does the USA have common law marriage? As in after X time living as spouses you can claim the benefits of marriage in the legal sense, but ni license of marriage need be filed.

Does the USA have common law marriage? As in after X time living as spouses you can claim the benefits of marriage in the legal sense, but ni license of marriage need be filed.
In Texas basically all you have to do is cohabitate and present yourselves as married.

The urban legend when I was a kid was that if you signed into a hotel together would be enough to be common law married.

figmentPez

Staff member
Former Houston police captain accused of violent attempt to prove election conspiracy was hired by GOP activist's group

"Mark Aguirre is accused of running a man off the road and threatening him at gunpoint. The ex-cop was hired as a private investigator by a group whose CEO is GOP activist Steven Hotze."

The fucking moron though there were thousands of fake ballots in a truck, so he ran the truck off the road, held the guy down at gunpoint and had someone steal the truck. There were no fake ballots, just air conditioner parts and tools.

Illiterate? She's a fucking doctor! Hell, you can't be illiterate going for a Bachelor's degree!
Apparently he found typos in the paper and then declared her illiterate as a result. Which is hilarious, because he's a dumbfuck. But it's also obnoxious. I know he's just trolling, but it still makes me wish someone would punch him in his fucking face. If someone had done that more often earlier in life, maybe he wouldn't be such a dipshit.

Dave

Staff member
Dude's education is limited to a BA in History. That's it. He's never had to write or defend a dissertation. He has no fucking clue what he's talking about. But anyone with half a brain (read: not a Trump supporter) already knows this.

Dave

Staff member

figmentPez

Staff member
This map from Randall Munroe (XKCD) is an interesting look, see the thread for his comments:

I would like a version that also shows dots for those eligible to but did not vote. I suspect that would be very telling.

GasBandit

Staff member
I would have said Philando Castile, but same point.
I think Whitaker is back in the spotlight because in November 2020 the cops paid his family a 3 million dollar settlement... but no word on criminal charges for the cop that murdered him.

You have a salient point.
I saw this as well, and came to the same conclusion. Carrying a gun might justifiably brand you as an elevated threat, but it does not grant the police a free and clear license to kill you at their discretion.
I'm constantly disappointed that the "right to bear arms" doesn't mean Americans are walking around with kodiak arms genetically grafted onto them.
Cross-species transplants? Please. We can't even contain a pandemic.

--Patrick

Because police hold a monopoly on violence against the populace, there are no actual rights. Freedom of speech, right to protest, right to bear arms, all of these can be rescinded at any time as the state chooses to execute you via police.

If I weren't at work I'd be really tempted to get on an anarchist soapbox here, but who has time for that?

Devin Nunes is suing twitter... again. This time he's claiming he's being "stalked" by people leaving messages in his feed. :facepalm:

Not the first time he's lacking even a basic understanding of how something works and crying about it.

Once in a while I've considered running for office just to have someone who knows how a fucking computer works in the room when laws are made. That said, I follow AOC partially because she makes me feel better about this sort of thing. She really gives off the "Here dad, let me show you how Instagram works" vibe with the people in charge of our country.

Once in a while I've considered running for office just to have someone who knows how a fucking computer works in the room when laws are made. That said, I follow AOC partially because she makes me feel better about this sort of thing. She really gives off the "Here dad, let me show you how Instagram works" vibe with the people in charge of our country.
Which is exactly why so many politicians, including her fellow Democrats, have NO CLUE how to handle her. And it's hilarious how they try to spin things against her.

She's not just playing it better, she's playing directly with her perspective voters. Unlike the mainstream Democrats and Republicans, she knows that the youngest voters aren't at fucking political events... they are at home, on the internet, and that is where she's reaching them. Her net game is great and I can't imagine anyone else in the party actually doing it like this.

She's not just playing it better, she's playing directly with her perspective voters. Unlike the mainstream Democrats and Republicans, she knows that the youngest voters aren't at fucking political events... they are at home, on the internet, and that is where she's reaching them. Her net game is great and I can't imagine anyone else in the party actually doing it like this.
Exactly. She has politicians playing frigging Among Us to reach young voters. I could maybe - MAYBE - see Obama do that, and even that is a stretch.

I knew she was different when she appeared on Hbomberguy's charity drive stream. What other politician would be like, "Hey, I'll pop on this Twitch stream for trans rights put on a guy from YouTube!"

Most politicians don't even know how YouTube or Twitch works (or even know what Twitch is). They sure as hell wouldn't be ballsy enough to come on a stream to openly promote trans rights.

I've said it before but if she runs for president in the future, she'll be unstoppable.

Fucking lol. That stimulus bill that gives half a billion dollars to Israel, filled with that streaming bullshit, was negotiated in secret is 5000 pages long and Congressfolk got 2 hours to read it.