Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Idk every state but I know at the very least the only reason Idaho is excluded is because theirs already failed to pass. It's pretty disgusting that this is the new GOP playbook, but not particularly surprising.

The trans bills are concerning, but what worries me the most is the huge swath of "election integrity" bills they are pushing through right now in many of those same states. I knew after how close things were with Beto, and how hard the GOP here in Texas fought to screw over voting in 2020, that they would soon go scorched earth on our voting rights. There is already talk of them removing the early voting period, which has been a staple of our voting system as long as I have lived here., on top of drastically limiting mail-in voting even more then it was pre-2020 and completely abolish the ability for drive-thru voting.

All this after Ken Paxton spend millions of dollars investigating election / voter fraud and all he found was 16 cases of a voter putting in an invalid address, most of which were Republican.

Biden needs to get the Voting Rights expansion in, and quick, or things are going to get worst.

Last edited:
The trans bills are concerning, but what worries me the most is the huge swath of "election integrity" bills they are pushing through right now too in many of those same states. I knew after how close things were with Beto, and how hard the GOP here in Texas fought to screw over voting in 2020, that they would soon go scorched earth on our voting right. There is already talk of them removing the early voting period, which has been a staple of our voting system as long as I have lived here., on top of drastically limiting mail-in voting even more then it was pre-2020 and completely abolish the ability for drive-thru voting.

All this after Ken Paxton spend millions of dollars investigating election / voter fraud and all he found was 16 cases of a voter putting in an invalid address, most of which were Republican.

Biden needs to get the Voting Rights expansion in, and quick, or things are going to get worst.
I wouldn't doubt that the increase in anti-trans bills are to distract from the voter suppression bills. Because Republicans. Crushing vulnerable people to get more power is their modus operandi these days.

Nebraska has early voting by mail. No excuse necessary to vote by mail, anyone can vote by mail. For the '20 election, as a registered voter we got a card in the mail asking if we would like a mail ballot. Sign the postcard and send it back if you do. Then you got your ballot in the mail. All you had to do is sign the envelope (no witnesses, no notary) and either mail it back or put it in a drop-box. (Sarpy county is relatively small and we had six drop box locations.) Then you could check online to see when your ballot was processed. Easy peasy voting.

Yet Republicans aren't screaming about voter fraud in Nebraska like they are about other states that had more restrictive voting requirements. Gee, I wonder why? (Though we did give 1 electoral college vote to Biden from the 2nd District/Omaha, but maybe they don't realize that because splitting EC votes is unusual? I'm sure if a Democrat ever got 2+ EC votes, Nebraska would suddenly become a hotbed of voter fraud.)

Yet Republicans aren't screaming about voter fraud in Nebraska like they are about other states that had more restrictive voting requirements. Gee, I wonder why? (Though we did give 1 electoral college vote to Biden from the 2nd District/Omaha, but maybe they don't realize that because splitting EC votes is unusual? I'm sure if a Democrat ever got 2+ EC votes, Nebraska would suddenly become a hotbed of voter fraud.)
Honestly, and I don't mean this in any negative way, but I feel it's just the low influence Nebraska has on the grand stage that insulates you from some of the biggest rhetoric. They likely feel confident in their senate position there, and don't feel losing a few split ECVs are going to really hurt anything during a main election. Most of the states getting hit the hardest by these bills are battleground states or soon to become battleground states.

The GOP is absolutely inflamed here in Texas because there are some real noticeable trends that we will flip blue in the future, and with the second highest number of electoral votes in the country (38), they don't want to lose us as a confident red state. Biden actually under-performed here in 2020 because he lost a lot of the Hispanic vote for reasons I still don't understand. Part of me feels there were shenanigans due to how heavy the shift was, almost a complete flip from Hilary's numbers in some counties, but I am not going to become a conspiracy nut about it. We need more samples from more elections. Either way, even with his lower performance Biden still got better numbers here then he did in pretty much all the other southern states we border. The writing is on the wall and so all the eyes of the national GOP platform are staring at us and boring a hole into our local GOP to protect their hold as much as possible. It's going to get intense.

The GOP is absolutely inflamed here in Texas because there are some real noticeable trends that we will flip blue in the future, and with the second highest number of electoral votes in the country (38), they don't want to lose us as a confident red state. Biden actually under-performed here in 2020 because he lost a lot of the Hispanic vote for reasons I still don't understand. Part of me feels there were shenanigans due to how heavy the shift was, almost a complete flip from Hilary's numbers in some counties, but I am not going to become a conspiracy nut about it. We need more samples from more elections. Either way, even with his lower performance Biden still got better numbers here then he did in pretty much all the other southern states we border. The writing is on the wall and so all the eyes of the national GOP platform are staring at us and boring a hole into our local GOP to protect their hold as much as possible. It's going to get intense.
There were definitely shenanigans going on in a few counties, but really? The Republican's ground game with Hispanic Americans is just better right now. For a long time all the Democrats had to do was point out that the Republicans didn't consider people of Hispanic descent to be "real" Americans (despite being here... first and all) and they'd get votes. Now? Republicans are doing better to reach the religious block of Hispanic Americans, who are diehard catholics or otherwise that really only care about anti-choice legislation or other religious agenda. There's also a whole lot of "Fuck you, got mine" going on too.

There were definitely shenanigans going on in a few counties, but really? The Republican's ground game with Hispanic Americans is just better right now. For a long time all the Democrats had to do was point out that the Republicans didn't consider people of Hispanic descent to be "real" Americans (despite being here... first and all) and they'd get votes. Now? Republicans are doing better to reach the religious block of Hispanic Americans, who are diehard catholics or otherwise that really only care about anti-choice legislation or other religious agenda. There's also a whole lot of "Fuck you, got mine" going on too.
Don't forget successful efforts to tie the progressive wing of the Democratic party to communist regimes in places like Cuba and Venezuela. Republicans have gotten good at convincing immigrants and the children of immigrants that Democrats want to bring all the worst parts of Latin American politics to the U.S.

Don't forget successful efforts to tie the progressive wing of the Democratic party to communist regimes in places like Cuba and Venezuela. Republicans have gotten good at convincing immigrants and the children of immigrants that Democrats want to bring all the worst parts of Latin American politics to the U.S.
Yes, there are definetely a lot of folks who lost their fortunes in Cuba during the Revolution who resent that fact and vote Republican. Of course, none of them ever considers if they DESERVED those fortunes they got by cooperating with the former US-backed regimes that used Cuban lives as a disposable resource...

The fact of the matter is, if the GOP could purge the racism, they'd win a lot more often than they already do.

The fact of the matter is, if the GOP could purge the racism, they'd win a lot more often than they already do.
That would require them to make actual policy decisions and govern. They are incapable of doing that while also being in the pockets of big business.

figmentPez

Staff member
I think you're underestimating just how many Republican voters are voting for the GOP because of their racist policies.

The culture war stuff is what overrides the fact that if you aren't rich, the Republican Party wants you to be poor and work until you die.

I can't believe Putin just fucking pulled a Ben Shapiro on Biden.

Debate me bro.

Just cancel gravity for me so I can float away and die in space.

You guys see the dismissal claim from Sydney Powell? She is trying to get the case Dominion put on her dismissed and the reasoning is both hilarious and infuriating. The reasons?

A) She believed what she said, thus there was no malice.
B) No reasonable person would believe what she was saying.

She is literally trying to defend herself by claiming she was too stupid to defame them. It's basically the Tucker Carlson defense.

As a resident of possibly one of the highest per-capita meth manufacture in these here YEWnited States, I almost feel slighted.

--Patrick

So Bootyjudge wants to replace the gas tax with a mileage tax to fund infrastructure.

Maybe tax the billion dollar companies that pay no taxes instead instead of putting the onus on regular joes but what do I know?

Yanno, I was reading something by some guy that I think those in the Knesset might recognize. Something about "you also must love the foreigner, since you were foreigners in the land of Egypt."