Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

I agree. The abortion divide is not based on sex or gender. It’s based on faith. Evangelical women are much more likely to be pro-life because they were raised from birth to believe that their primary purpose is to pop out kids.

figmentPez

Staff member
Wow I am *SHOCKED* said fucking nobody
I was about to comment that this doesn't apply to all the post-menopause voters (who don't give a shit about their children and want children/grandchildren anyway), but then I realized that denying hormonal BC probably means they can deny coverage for estrogen supplements for menopausal women as well.

I'd say "I really hope they deny coverage for testosterone supplements for old men", but I know that will only end up hurting men who didn't vote for this bullshit, while those who are in power will have enough money to get medication regardless.

Dave

Staff member
Had a very interesting conversation over dinner with our neighbors. It went something like this:

Him: What do you think about this Santos guy in congress?
Me: I think he's a fraud and should be kicked out.
Him: Me, too! Fucking democrats are so crooked. They will protect anyone with the D in front of their name.
Me: You know he's a republican, right? And when they voted to expel him all the democrats voted yes and all the republicans voted no because he has the R in front of his name.
Him: Not true! He's from New York!
Me: So look it up and show me I'm wrong.
Him: ...well...congressmen are just people. Who's to say that he doesn't belong. He might not have gone to the school he said but he probably is wiser than most of the people there. Furthermore...

Yeah. Not even a hint of irony.

GasBandit

Staff member
Had a very interesting conversation over dinner with our neighbors. It went something like this:

Him: What do you think about this Santos guy in congress?
Me: I think he's a fraud and should be kicked out.
Him: Me, too! Fucking democrats are so crooked. They will protect anyone with the D in front of their name.
Me: You know he's a republican, right? And when they voted to expel him all the democrats voted yes and all the republicans voted no because he has the R in front of his name.
Him: Not true! He's from New York!
Me: So look it up and show me I'm wrong.
Him: ...well...congressmen are just people. Who's to say that he doesn't belong. He might not have gone to the school he said but he probably is wiser than most of the people there. Furthermore...

Yeah. Not even a hint of irony.
Tribalism. It's what's for dinner.

Like I said before, Republican voters tend to see themselves as morally superior people who are standing by the same old-fashioned values that their families have cherished for generations. Admitting to being conned (first by Trump, then by Santos) would make them feel foolish. Their attitude is, "if you say this Republican politician is stupid and evil, then you're saying I'm stupid and evil."

Tribalism. It's what's for dinner.
That graphic you posted is what has cemented me 100% as convinced: The GOP goal isn't racism, or religion, or even pædophilia. It is purely and simply supremacy that they desire. Not "White" supremacy, either. Just "Supremacy." By whatever means, no matter what it takes, consequences be damned, because once they have complete control, nobody will take them to task for their actions anyway. They will lie, cheat, and steal in order to put and keep as many R's in places of power as possible, because the only thing that matters is to keep the overall number of R's increasing until there is no longer any effective opposition, at which point they will just implement whatever they damn well please, knowing there will be no way to gainsay them other than outright rebellion/revolution.

As further evidence of this, I submit this sound bite, reportedly spoken by the sitting governor of South Carolina:

1684638921040.png

Everything they are doing, every bill, proclamation, sign, protest march, lawsuit, conference, whatever--it is all aimed solely to get/keep/increase the number of R's in power. The goal now should be simple--block or remove as many R's as possible, and keep on doing it regardless of how much they whine and cry. No distractions. Just that.

--Patrick

Having lived through all of that, none of it was surprising, or even unexpected. R’s only care about other R’s, and even then, the only R’s they care about are the Capitol R’s.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
My local newspaper is moving to 3 issues a week instead of daily, so naturally all the boomers on NextDoor are chiming in about how it's a sign that everything is worse than ever and the endtimes are nigh because it doesn't feel like 1960 anymore.

Well, half of them are, anyway. The other half are snorting that the paper went "woke" and that's why it's failing.

I couldn't help myself. I dropped the buggy whip salesman comparison, and said print newspapers were dusty fossils best relegated to the past, same as people who use "woke" as a pejorative. I've gotten notifications of replies but haven't bothered to go look at them :D

Dave

Staff member
What I find funny about that is that only a few short years ago, before the republican party went berserk, they would have aligned pretty closely with you. But now you’ve seen what they e become while the boomers are scared and shifting far right while they try and hold on to the past.

GasBandit

Staff member
What I find funny about that is that only a few short years ago, before the republican party went berserk, they would have aligned pretty closely with you. But now you’ve seen what they e become while the boomers are scared and shifting far right while they try and hold on to the past.
I've never really been a big proponent of print media, since the advent of the internet.

I've never really been a big proponent of print media, since the advent of the internet.
Yeah. I remember around the time the internet really took off, I'd still get phone calls trying to sell me on the local paper. They just couldn't fathom "I get everything on the internet" as a valid objection to a subscription. I mean, even back then, you could find out local news on the internet hours faster than print. The era of buying whichever paper had the scoop of the day died then...print media just didn't really notice right away.

Friends and co-workers would be like "Did you hear about blah blah blah..?" and I'd say "oh yeah, I heard about it earlier this week." and they'd be flabbergasted because "But it just came out in the paper this morning!"

The death of local newspapers is partly how we got into this mess. Go to most small towns and have a look at the newspaper racks. You'll find USA Today, Epoch Times, and the nearest city's publication. There's nothing local. So when a neo-Nazi runs for the school board nobody knows until well after they voted for whoever had an R next to their name.

GasBandit

Staff member
The death of local newspapers is partly how we got into this mess. Go to most small towns and have a look at the newspaper racks. You'll find USA Today, Epoch Times, and the nearest city's publication. There's nothing local. So when a neo-Nazi runs for the school board nobody knows until well after they voted for whoever had an R next to their name.
It's not like them being outed as neo nazis are hurting them in those elections, tbh. The problem, as has come to be revealed, is that Trump, Boebert, MGT, etc are a symptom. The worrying thing is they accurately reflect the will of their constituency.

Yeah, and the Matt Walsh's of the world are claiming that because the cops draped everything found in the van outside on the ground that they were planting shit. Unfortunately fellas, that's what happens at a crime scene. Shit gets spread out and photographed on scene, bagged, tagged and taken as evidence.

I don't understand why they chose this particular hill to die on. The law requires that social media companies post their policy for removing hate speech, and submits a report on their efforts to remove hate speech. In does not define hate speech, though. They are pretending that the big bad state will tell them that being Christian is hate speech by itself, but it's patently obvious that it's only going to require them to remove posts using slurs, calling for racial violence, etc.

I know, I know. It's obvious what the real objection is. But I'm amazed that they are doing this, because their lame excuse for an objection doesn't hold up at all.