Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

#MarjorieTaylorPeen is trending on Twitter, because MTG is showing nude pics of Hunter Biden to Congress.

WHY? What the fuck do dick pics have to do with anything Congress is dealing with right now?
I have read that they are really desperate to distract people from Trump's many (and actually valid) legal issues right now.

My local newspaper is moving to 3 issues a week instead of daily, so naturally all the boomers on NextDoor are chiming in about how it's a sign that everything is worse than ever and the endtimes are nigh because it doesn't feel like 1960 anymore.

Well, half of them are, anyway. The other half are snorting that the paper went "woke" and that's why it's failing.

I couldn't help myself. I dropped the buggy whip salesman comparison, and said print newspapers were dusty fossils best relegated to the past, same as people who use "woke" as a pejorative. I've gotten notifications of replies but haven't bothered to go look at them :D

Or that.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Trump won the Iowa Republican caucuses by an unprecedented margin, defeating Ron DeSantis by some 30 points. About 31 minutes after caucusing began, networks declared Trump the winner. Trump, facing 91 charges across four criminal cases, won 98 of 99 counties in Iowa. (Axios / Associated Press / New York Times / Washington Post / Bloomberg / CNN)

• [Poll] 66% of Iowa caucus-goers said Biden did not legitimately win the presidential election in 2020. 69% of those voters supported Trump. (Washington Post)
  • [Poll] 72% of Republicans agree that immigrants who enter the U.S. illegally are “poisoning the blood” of America. (CBS News)
  • Vivek Ramaswamy suspended his presidential campaign following Iowa caucuses. Ramaswamy won about 8% of support from caucusgoers. (CBS News / NBC News)
  • Asa Hutchinson suspended his presidential campaign after coming in last place at the Iowa caucuses. (CBS News)

Hadn't heard about Asa Hutchinson. But then again, I'd completely forgotten he was still running, too. The rest I had already read.
So now we're officially down to Trump, Trump New and Improved Formula, and Female GWB who I guess we'd have to call the most moderate candidate and probably the one who could most easily defeat Biden.

Awesome picks. I honestly don't see a path to DeSantis becoming the candidate short of Trump dying, and while I think Haley has a better shot, I don't see it happening either.

While I'd honestly say a Haley VS Harris general election would be more interesting and more understandable, coming from a point of view from 20 years ago I guess. Even if Haley would probably win that one by a landslide.

The funniest thing has been people trying to cope and say that trumps margin wasnt impressive. He might lose New Hampshire but he will win the other 48 easily

The funniest thing has been people trying to cope and say that trumps margin wasnt impressive. He might lose New Hampshire but he will win the other 48 easily
If he loses NH and he gets kicked off the ballot in a few states and somehow people don't just see it as further Proof of the Conspiracy, he might only win most of the important ones.

While it amuses me to see all these memes, having had to actually participate in a caucus in my life, none of this is all that weird because the amount of people actually voting per container is generally pretty small.

That said, I don't know how the Iowa caucus works, in Colorado it took three different sessions before the official vote was decided (local, who then sent a rep to the county, who then sent a rep to the state)

Mentioned that to my wife yesterday.
"It's a conspiracy!"
Well yes it was... but not the way you were portraying it.
Now we wait to see whether he claims the government was making him do it, thereby ouroborosing the prophecy.

--Patrick

Among the other batshit stuff this was another thing my brother's ex had latched onto.

That they were started to keep us in our zones...

As I was entering Costco this morning, I'm behind a woman who's probably late Boomer/early GenX aged, and her mother. She flashes her membership card to the greeter, and then starts loudly ranting to her mother, "Did you hear they're going to start scanning your card to enter? We're losing all our freedoms! It's getting to be like Russia here!". I was really tempted to remind her you have to buy a membership to shop here in the first place, and you can't purchase anything without scanning your card first, what the hell is the difference?!? ...but then I also realized there was no helping this amount of crazy, and I just wanted to get my shopping done as quickly as possible.

Dave

Staff member
Had a hilarious conversation with one of my super-conservative Trump loving coworkers today. He was livid that he was having so much trouble getting his taxes done. In the end his choice is to call the IRS and set up an appointment, then wait up to 21 days for an open slot. He is incredulous that he’s having to wait so long.

Have I mentioned he’s one of those who has been celebrating the cuts to the IRS because “taxes are unconstitutional”?