Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

It's not empathy. He just knows which way the winds are blowing in Ohio right now and is doing what he needs to in order to protect his governorship. There's a non-zero chance for the state legislature to override him and they've been acting like idiots since Issue 1 and 2, threatening to not implement laws that Ohioans voted for overwhelmingly. Even conservative voters had kind of had it with the fundies.

"I can do this to look good with the moderates, the house will overrule me anyway" is probably his thought process, rather than "this is evil and against personal rights".

On that topic - aren't the R supposed to be all for States' Rights? Than why object to states deciding someone can't be on the ballot? Hmmmm

"I can do this to look good with the moderates, the house will overrule me anyway" is probably his thought process, rather than "this is evil and against personal rights".

On that topic - aren't the R supposed to be all for States' Rights? Than why object to states deciding someone can't be on the ballot? Hmmmm
It's very simple.

State rights for me, no state rights for thee.

Huh, thought this would be a shadow docket case. Surprised it will be a full case with oral arguments. This will make for some great Strict Scrutiny episodes.

IIRC maternal health in Idaho has imploded since a shitton of OBGYN's have decided they either just aren't going to bother with pregnancies or have left the state entirely thanks to the new laws.

Three of these folks were appointed by Trump, a fourth is practically the poster boy for unethical acceptance of things that just barely squeak by as not being bribes, and a fifth thinks the federal government - and by extension the SC - should be as small possible and leave everything up to the states. This SC doing anything but further legitimizing Trump is just not going to happen.

Dave

Staff member
It will really be telling if they rule against the state’s right to exclude a candidate. But I’d be all in favor no matter which way they rule.
  • They rule that Trump can not be excluded because of the 14th. Okay, that gets rid of the bogus lawsuits trying to exclude Biden, WHICH THEY WILL DO if this goes through.
  • They rule that Trump can be excluded. Trump would have no mathematical way of winning the presidency and the only way would be through force of arms. Biden, however, would have to face court challenges to stop states from excluding him for bullshit reasons.
Truthfully, the best possible outcome in my opinion would be for the SC to let him run and have him lose in a landslide. But when politically has anything gone best case scenario lately?

Truthfully, the best possible outcome in my opinion would be for the SC to let him run and have him lose in a landslide.
No polls whatsoever are currently predicting a landslide in that direction. If anything, he's slightly favored against Biden. Another close call - either way - would be... Troublesome

So far Trump has not been excluded from a ballot in a state he would win so I don't know that it matters in that regard.

I do feel they couldn't just sweep it under the rug. The wording of whatever decision they make is going to be really important.

So far Trump has not been excluded from a ballot in a state he would win so I don't know that it matters in that regard.

I do feel they couldn't just sweep it under the rug. The wording of whatever decision they make is going to be really important.
Maine has the split electoral votes so it could hurt him to lose there. And there are swing states that have dem leadership at the moment.

I just got a random text about 15min ago asking me if I want to run for local public office and offering to instruct me on what would be necessary if I do.
...wut?

--Patrick

He’s also being excluded from primary ballots (if the decision isn’t paused or overturned). It would allow candidates like Nikki Haley to take states that they normally wouldn’t get to win the primary.

He’s also being excluded from primary ballots (if the decision isn’t paused or overturned). It would allow candidates like Nikki Haley to take states that they normally wouldn’t get to win the primary.
Well yes, that is what I meant.

Except that he's on the primary ballot for Colorado now because he appealed to the Supreme Court by the deadline to be on the ballot.

I also think there's a case to be made that he can be on a primary ballot (which is after all an internal party affair) and general election ballot.
As far as I'm aware parties are pretty free in how they organize their primaries (ballot, caucus, open or closed,...); I'm not even sure every person who wants to run as a presidential candidate would have to have done some sort of primary (I mean, independent candidates still exist). The general election for a federal position, even if organized by the state, would mean the federal constitution would apply. But this from a non-lawyer, non-American, of course.

Sure but if he wins the primary then can't go on the federal ballot, then what? Republicans in Colorado were already shouting that if they took him off the primary ballot they would just not have a primary and just do a closed caucus, but it wouldn't have actually changed anything.
I also think there's a case to be made that he can be on a primary ballot (which is after all an internal party affair) and general election ballot.
As far as I'm aware parties are pretty free in how they organize their primaries (ballot, caucus, open or closed,...); I'm not even sure every person who wants to run as a presidential candidate would have to have done some sort of primary (I mean, independent candidates still exist). The general election for a federal position, even if organized by the state, would mean the federal constitution would apply. But this from a non-lawyer, non-American, of course.

Welp, giving a Republican the benefit of the doubt was stupid of all of us.

This prick.

This isn't just children, this is everyone, from top to bottom. This will strip people actively on therapies of their ability to continue on them.

TIL Nikki Haley changed her husband's name.

If the genders were reversed this would send up so many red flags & would (hopefully) lead to the women's friends & family staging an intervention to get her away from the controlling asshole who thinks they know what you should be called better than you do.

GasBandit

Staff member

The child, 4, was beaten and left in a damp, dark basement because he wasn't potty trained. He had been removed from the home at 4 months under abuse allegations and placed with another family member. DCS determined he should return home and was dead of starvation 6 months later. DCS is being sued by the family.

The child, 4, was beaten and left in a damp, dark basement because he wasn't potty trained. He had been removed from the home at 4 months under abuse allegations and placed with another family member. DCS determined he should return home and was dead of starvation 6 months later. DCS is being sued by the family.
Something something family values.

As yes, another "Christian" who exhibits the cross for status, not because they actually follow the words of Jesus.

This can't be right; that only happens if you go woke! /s/s/s/s/s/s/s/s

figmentPez

Staff member
#MarjorieTaylorPeen is trending on Twitter, because MTG is showing nude pics of Hunter Biden to Congress.

WHY? What the fuck do dick pics have to do with anything Congress is dealing with right now?