Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Ignoring the hellscape that is America, my wife is a teacher and her union has a sick bank program where you can donate 1-4 sick days a year and get 10x the days back if you have a qualifying need. Its doubled her maternity leave time.

Has it been 6 years since we saw Steinman? Feels like it was just yesterday he was arguing some stupid rightwing nonsense.
Steinman/Strawman has been back a few times for single posts, but nothing political/religious. Trying to defend Trump with a strict religious background is just a losing proposition.

Also, without playing devil's advocate - asbestos' unique properties do mean it can still have its uses. Obviously not in any residential/school/etc environment, to be very clear.

Steinman/Strawman has been back a few times for single posts, but nothing political/religious. Trying to defend Trump with a strict religious background is just a losing proposition.

Also, without playing devil's advocate - asbestos' unique properties do mean it can still have its uses. Obviously not in any residential/school/etc environment, to be very clear.
My step dad used to work for a chemical plant. There's lots of toxic stuff in plants and factories that get used as catalysts, intermediary ingredients, etc. No getting around that. But consumer goods, obviously, shouldn't be toxic. Things like lead paint in walls or lead in gasoline, asbestos insulation, etc. And toxic stuff used in manufacture should have strict safety measures for worker and environmental safety.

You just KNOW those kids are illegal immigrants who are being paid under the table. A few months back some teenager working at a chicken processing plant fell into one of those shredding machines. The employer had filed him as a 30-year-old and he was undocumented.

I have donated money to a Romanian animal rescue organization that shelters cats that were abandoned in Ukraine after the Russians invaded. These cats are often starving, sick, and/or injured. What I'm noticing on their Facebook videos is a lot of "funny" reacts. Apparently a large number of sociopaths think it's funny to laugh at traumatized animals. I looked to see exactly who was laughing and I noticed a huge amount of French surnames. Their profile pics are often glorified Trump portraits that even your racist Uncle Jethro from Wyoming would call "a bit much." Their profile quotes are often screeds against Prime Minister Trudeau and that's when it hit me. They're Quebecois and for some reason they really love Putin and all his atrocities.

What is it with Quebecois and the far right? They seem like a touchy, insecure breed.

Can't believe this Singapore cargo ship snuck across the Mexican border and sailed up to Baltimore to take the bridge out, thanks Obama

"Baltimore is in Maryland, which is near Delaware, which is where President Biden's home state. There can be no doubt now that the Biden Crime Family, during one of Hunter's drug binges, deliberately aimed this boat at a bridge to throw off the House's impeachment hearings."

"Also, Benghazi."

Original Sin folks, it's why abortion used to be approved and even ordered by the church. Gotta save that poor infant soul, even at the cost of the incubators life!

(no, seriously - the Catholic church used to be in favor of abortion if it meant being able to baptize the unborn and give it and the mother the last rites, as that would mean two souls in heaven, while either dieing in childbirth would mean a lost soul. Logic!)

By oust, they won't use her on air. She'll just be paid her 300,000.00 a year salary for sitting at home and doing shitty talking head paid work elsewhere.
She might have a non-compete. If that is so, then it's 300k a year to sit home and do nothing, which is still better than having her do this somewhere else.

GasBandit

Staff member
An Alabama Democrat won a special election in the state Legislature after making in vitro fertilization and abortion rights central to her campaign. Marilyn Lands – who had criticized the state’s near-total abortion ban and the recent state Supreme Court ruling that temporarily banned in vitro fertilization – said her win sends “a clear message” to Montgomery and called for the legislature to “repeal Alabama’s no-exceptions abortion ban, fully restore access to IVF, and protect the right to contraception.” The Biden campaign said the victory was a “warning sign” for Trump and “extreme MAGA Republicans,” adding that Alabama voters “know exactly who’s to blame for restricting their ability to decide how and when to build their families and they’re ready to fight back.” In 2020, Trump narrowly carried the district. (CNN / NBC News / Associated Press / Politico / The Hill / New York Times)

GasBandit

Staff member
Boy, I wish I was allowed to drag my feet to a virtual standstill at work, regardless of the consequences to others.

South Carolina will use a congressional map that a federal court ruled was “unconstitutional” because the Supreme Court hasn’t ruled on the redistricting case it heard in October. With no decision and the state facing a June 11 primary, the same court that had deemed the map unconstitutional agreed to allow South Carolina to use the racially gerrymandered map for this year’s congressional election. The three-judge panel noted that “with the primary election procedures rapidly approaching, the appeal before the Supreme Court still pending, and no remedial plan in place, the ideal must bend to the practical.” Last year, the judges held that the state’s Republican-controlled Legislature had “exiled” more than 30,000 Black residents from the 1st Congressional District in what the court called a “bleaching” to benefit Republicans. That amounted to an unconstitutional racial gerrymander, they concluded. If the Supreme Court later upholds the lower court ruling, then new maps would have to be drawn for the 2026 election. (CNN / Washington Post / NBC News / Politico)

How would such an election not be contested afterwards?
"yeah, this map is trash and hurts black voters, but we're gonna use it anyway because, why not?"

Why can't they just revert to the previous map? Isn't that the option that should be followed until a official ruling has been made, rather then the one that was deemed unconstitutional? "Ideal must bend to the practical" my ass.