Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

The guy probably thought "Well I ain't gonna be able to survive without money so might as well just go to prison, get a free room and three meals a day. Save my family the cost of putting me in a home too."

The murder is going to weigh on him though, plus the pain it will cause his family emotionally.

I saw a twitter post recently that perfectly encapsulated how fucked up our health system is. A woman's son died and they called an ambulance, but when the EMTs showed up they announced the kid dead and left because there was nothing they could do for him. The woman not long after got a bill for nearly $1000 for the amdulance visit. Of course it's a story, so who knows how true it is, but I believe it based on past experiences with ambulance bills.

Shit needs to change.

Dave

Staff member
And, by the way, he was talking about the Bureau of Land Management. Still stupid, but not as stupid as Black Lives Matter.

Hell, I thought when he was talking about Black Lives Matter he was trying to make a point that the global climate change crisis was natural and was being facetious about their ability to do anything about it. But then I watched the video. Nope. He was asking it like a serious question.

The response given back was, "I'll have to get back with you on that."

GasBandit

Staff member
Just got off the phone with my grandmother, a lovely, caring, compassionate woman, who has not a mean thing to say about anyone.

... and at one point in the conversation she told me how proud she was to have voted for Lauren Boebert >_< AND that she voted for Trump and still thinks he'd have been a better president than Biden.

Heartbreaking. Grandpa doesn't even get cable TV or internet, so I can't blame this one on Fox News brainwashing or Facebook nonsense. She's just massively, massively uninformed about just about everything happening in the world for at least the last 30 years, and basically still thinks literally anything is preferable to a Democrat in any kind of power.

I told her I had an annotated list of 1,056 atrocities and crimes committed by Trump, and naturally, because it's too big, she didn't believe me. I mean, she didn't think I was lying, but she doesn't believe the things on the list are true.

She doesn't even have an e-mail address for me to send it to her. I could send it to grandpa, but now I think it'd just go right in the trash.

Boomers.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh, and while it wasn't political in nature, that same call, my Grandmother told me that my Aunt and her third husband have finalized their divorce, which took over a year (and this is the first I've even heard of any strife), and a cousin (from a DIFFERENT aunt) got herself declared an emancipated minor just 2 months before her 18th birthday for reasons that were not clear to my Grandmother.

So. All kinds of family drama has apparently been going on that I've been completely out of the loop about.

Bibi's out.

And it won't improve matters one bit. Bennett is, if anything, more radically anti-Palestine, completely rejects the two state solution, and thinks the West Bank should be annexed in its entirety and Gaza "evacuated" (there's no actual solution for where those millions should go, other than "in an industrial oven". "Evacuation" is code for finding a "Final Solution", and I'm not exaggerating for effect. He thinks all Arab Palestines dying would be a good and permanent solution to the problem, and he has said so).
The only reason Netanyahu was removed was because the extreme right thinks he's too soft. This amalgamation of the center with the left with the extreme right is like AOC and MTG joining forces to get rid of Mitch - they both want him gone, but for diametrically opposed reasons, and this is a deal with the devil which will benefit neither side.

Expect some minor liberal growth on topics like homosexuals and taxes, and some serious further antagonizing of the Palestinians until the violence starts up again, at which point "see? You can't reason with them!" will be used once again to defend the murder of hundreds of innocent bystanders.

From what I can tell, the “Jesus Christ Moses anyone but Bibi” coalition is way too diverse for Bennet to do much of anything re: Palestinians without the government falling apart.

Someone I was speaking with said the coalition is the only thing that makes Bennett a better choice then Netanyahu, because at least Bennett will be controlled by a wider group while Netanyahu didn't have to really answer to anyone. If it all goes to plan, a centrist chosen by most of the coalition will be taking over as Prime Minster in 2024, from what I read. No idea why they don't put the centrist in NOW but I won't claim to understand Israeli politics.

Someone I was speaking with said the coalition is the only thing that makes Bennett a better choice then Netanyahu, because at least Bennett will be controlled by a wider group while Netanyahu didn't have to really answer to anyone. If it all goes to plan, a centrist chosen by most of the coalition will be taking over as Prime Minster in 2024, from what I read. No idea why they don't put the centrist in NOW but I won't claim to understand Israeli politics.
Because the extreme right (probably correctly) assumed that putting in the centrist first would guarantee the leftist parties from walking away and bringing down the coalition the minute he's sworn in.
Again, this is the first coalition in Israel ever with an Arab party represented...and it's also the first one with a party with several members who have been pretty clear in their desire to "solve" the Israeli problem by driving the Palestinians into the sea.It's for courting this party (and others) that Netanyahu moved so far to the right in the first place.
This coalition is either going to fall apart within months, or it's going to be pretty much a standstill on anything important.

Florida governor [Ron DeSantis] signs new bill requiring K-12 public schools to hold moment of silence each day

Why, you might ask? "The Republican who sponsored the bill [HB 269] said that it wasn't about prayer in school[, b]ut when you question their motives, or their honesty, it's called a personal attack & deemed out of order."

The one thing I most want to highlight is this statement made by DeSantis' during the signing: "It's important to be able to provide each student the ability every day to reflect and be able to pray as they see fit. The idea that you can just push God out of every institution and be successful, I'm sorry our founding fathers did not believe that."

Ron, I don't mean to tell you how to do your job, but you might want to rethink that statement.

--Patrick