Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

GasBandit

Staff member
49% of Americans between 18 and 29 years old “definitely” plan to vote in 2024 – down from 57% relative to this point in the 2020 election cycle. Among young Democrats, 66% plan to vote – nearly identical to four years ago – while 56% of young Republicans plan to vote – down 10 percentage points. And among young independents, 31% plan to vote – also a 10-point drop. (Harvard Youth Poll)

49% of Americans between 18 and 29 years old “definitely” plan to vote in 2024 – down from 57% relative to this point in the 2020 election cycle. Among young Democrats, 66% plan to vote – nearly identical to four years ago – while 56% of young Republicans plan to vote – down 10 percentage points. And among young independents, 31% plan to vote – also a 10-point drop. (Harvard Youth Poll)
I keep on telling myself that this is normal. That most people don’t really started paying attention to politics till the conventions but it’s been three years since we had literally the exact same show down. I can see being disappointed in the Biden administration still wouldn’t ever consider voting for anybody else in the general

I never questioned his intelligence, I am simply gobsmacked his negative charisma didn't prevent him from getting into office. You expect politicians to have a certain level of charm.
Right? Like we used to think looking kinda funny driving a tank was enough to disqualify you. Or being a bit too pumped when saying "yeah"

I keep on telling myself that this is normal. That most people don’t really started paying attention to politics till the conventions but it’s been three years since we had literally the exact same show down. I can see being disappointed in the Biden administration still wouldn’t ever consider voting for anybody else in the general
Most people don't think it will be Trump Vs. Biden. They just don't believe we are going to do this shit all over again.

Most people don't think it will be Trump Vs. Biden. They just don't believe we are going to do this shit all over again.
Anyone else vs Biden would be a nightmare, though. And unless he literally drops dead I don't see it being anyone but Biden for the Dems by this point.

GasBandit

Staff member
The Dems are stuck with Biden, partly because of the Trump thing and partly because THEY DON'T HAVE ANYONE ELSE. Christ, why aren't they building people up for the election in case something DOES happen to Biden?

Harris is the fallback. If she is more aggressive than Hillary, she could likely beat Trump. Hillary backed off of being confrontational during the debates, that is why she lost the election.

Harris is the fallback. If she is more aggressive than Hillary, she could likely beat Trump. Hillary backed off of being confrontational during the debates, that is why she lost the election.
This country will not elect a biracial woman. Too much racism, way too much misogyny. Trump would win in a landslide.

I thought Newsom was the up-and-coming Democrat? Though I'll admit I haven't been paying much attention.
As a Californian, I can testify firsthand to his flaws. He has a habit of making stupid errors, like going to a well-to-do party at a fancy restaurant in the middle of Covid lockdowns.

He is progressive, but not progressive enough for Progressives to fully support him. He’s still a bit too progressive for others.

He enjoys getting into public fights a little too much, and he clearly relishes the spotlight.

Also, California has a ton of problems that have occurred on his watch. Some of it is his fault, much of it is not, but it makes for good ammunition when criticizing him.

Finally, too much of this country hates California and Californians - just because. It’s bullshit, but for some people that’s enough.

You know, I was going to ask my doctor or pharmacist about chelation therapy, considering the amount of heavy metals I (and my family) have been exposed to over the years, but not when the cost for one course of medication ends up being approximately the same as the annual cost of raising a child.

On another note, I'm suspicious of how food-grade preparation of almost the exact same chemical(s) are somehow cheap enough that we can include them in cosmetics, processed foods...but no, the SPECIAL version that is considered a "drug" has to be extra-expensive.

--Patrick

Judges rule that Texas power plants have no public responsibility to provide electricity in emergencies.
“Texas does not currently recognize a legal duty owed by wholesale power generators to retail customers to provide continuous electricity to the electric grid, and ultimately to the retail customers.” The [judges'] opinion states that big power generators “are now statutorily precluded by the legislature from having any direct relationship with retail customers of electricity.” The decision seems likely to protect the companies from lawsuits filed against them after the blackout. It leaves the families of those who died unsure where next to seek justice.
"We are a private company and as such are not required to operate in the public's interest."
Also Texas: "We need to privatize more things! Like roads and bridges and water and public transportation and..."

--Patrick

At some point, the fundamental basics of, what is the responsibility of the state" have to come in to play though.
I mean, providing free public translation? Not a basic function of a government.
Ensuring physical security of the citizens? Basic function.
Electricity? I'd say assurance of accessibility is a fundamental function these days.

Mark my words, it's going to be Trump vs Biden again. and God save us please, I will love if I am wrong, I might even become a believer in God again if I am wrong. But we will see.

Mark my words, it's going to be Trump vs Biden again. and God save us please, I will love if I am wrong, I might even become a believer in God again if I am wrong. But we will see.
Oh no, you are absolutely right, it will be Trump Vs Biden. I'm saying, that that time, people who aren't as dialed into politics as we are would have been like "Wait, really? Again?" or said "No, I don't believe that."

There has been a lot of doom and gloom because of Biden's poll numbers. Just wait until people start actually SEEING Trump again.

It's going to be another Trump Vs Biden match, and I genuinely think that the combination of progressive young left not being enthused, along with the Republicans packing enough lower positions - dignitaries, judges, governors,electiob certification boards - mana that either Trump will just easily win, or will have enough backing to successfully stop a proper transfer of power. Democrats will be faced with either going the Al Gore route of giving in and hoping 4 years won't matter in the long run, or trying to copy the Trump playbook, fighting in several states, stopping certification, delaying, etc, which will just play into Republican talking points in the long run.
If the Democrats had a really good candidate - think Obama or even B Clinton - they'd be in a good spot. With Biden or honestly any other D candidate available now... It's going to be ugly.

I think doom and gloom is exactly what will help Trump. Everything in the country is much better than people think it is. Just need people to realize it.

Plus, Trump opening his fucking mouth will absolutely remind the country why we are much better off with Biden.