Gay Marriage Speech

Status
Not open for further replies.
In God we Trust was removed from money a long time ago and then put back on very recently (during the fearmongering Bush administration.) It'll be removed again as soon as someone makes noise about it.
I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.

http://www.ustreas.gov/education/fact-sheets/currency/in-god-we-trust.shtml

"In God We Trust" has been the national motto of the USA since 1956.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust

Perhaps you've been listening to some fanatic or another with an axe to grind.

I'm not interested in starting a new thread, as I have nothing more to say on the subject, but if you or someone else wants to discuss this particular topic further I suggest you create a new thread.[/QUOTE]

Huh... you learn something every day. And yes, that was second hand from someone else. Looking at the net though, it does seem like there is a lot of sentiment to get it removed. I really couldn't care less ether way... it's just fucking money.

C

Chibibar

^I'm with you. I don't really care, honestly. To me, it's always spoken more to the history of our country. The simple fact is that we were founded by people who were mostly Christian. That doesn't have anything to do with my own beliefs. If you don't like it, try not staring at your money. I can't imagine caring even if I stopped believing in the idea of a god all-together.
Heh. I personally didn't mean to start a new debate on money. The whole point is that the U.S. was founded by many people who believe in Christianity and thus the laws reflect that. Is it right for the people of the U.S? I don't know, but what I do know (and what I feel) is that some of these government officials' belief is getting in the way for equal government rights. :)

R

RocketGirl

Personally, I don't WANT gay marriage to be legal.

...not until they legalize gay divorce.

'Course, that might be cuzza the long string of psychotics I seem to have ended up dating, but hey... :whistling:

K

Kitty Sinatra

I don't see how any divorce can be gay. Mine was a miserable, soul crushing affair. So was the marriage, too.

I fully support gay marriage, but my experience suggests no such thing can exist.

R

RocketGirl

"Good day!"

"I said good day!"

heh, the video is spot on.
Heh, thanks. :)

I don't get what you mean by gay divorce though? Is that seriously illegal or something? Am I missing a joke? *confused*
It's a joke.

Though in all seriousness, marriage IS entered into far too lightly these days, and there are some psycho-bitches that I've gone out with that--as the time--I thought I might want something more permanent with...and had gay marriage been legal at the time...
An escape hatch is A Good Thing™. I'm just sayin'.

R

RocketGirl

I'm just glad I live in a country I can get married, to anyone I want to. There's little to no opposition toward it here.
Which country is that? Your profile doesn't say.

I mean, I'm gonna guess Canada off the top of my head, but...I could be wrong.

K

Kitty Sinatra

There's plenty of Dutch here in Canada, and several statues of Canadians in the Netherlands, so I don't think you were that far off.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Roses and Perfection. That could be my motto. It certainly is what you get when you're with me.

That is a great speech and the video posted further down the thread was a good and straightforward sentiment. But they both missed what is, in my opinion, the true crux of the issue - the rights marriage conveys. There are...hundreds, IIRC, of rights that a gov't issued marriage contract gives a couple. Many of these can't be covered by a will or a personal contract. Love is the impetus of marriage, equality is the reason marriage rights should be extended to gay couples, but I doubt that most of the people opposing gay marriage (and I don't mean the hardliners) actually KNOW what marriage rights entail because you never think about things like hospital visitation, inheritance rights, guardianship of kids, etc.

That, to me, is the long and short.

C

Chibibar

That is a great speech and the video posted further down the thread was a good and straightforward sentiment. But they both missed what is, in my opinion, the true crux of the issue - the rights marriage conveys. There are...hundreds, IIRC, of rights that a gov't issued marriage contract gives a couple. Many of these can't be covered by a will or a personal contract. Love is the impetus of marriage, equality is the reason marriage rights should be extended to gay couples, but I doubt that most of the people opposing gay marriage (and I don't mean the hardliners) actually KNOW what marriage rights entail because you never think about things like hospital visitation, inheritance rights, guardianship of kids, etc.

That, to me, is the long and short.
Sadly, I think if you told most of them they'd simply not care if "those ******s" can't see their loved ones in the hospital. They should've known better before they "chose" to live this live of sin.

That, is what I believe. They don't just don't want gays to be able to marry.. they don't want them to have any rights AT ALL.

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

Edit: I have no idea who 'they' is. I just pictured some rednecks.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I believe the citizens who oppose think that since these people's life choice does not match theirs should not have any rights at all (at least government rights)

Now, if the government does not give any rights to any couple, then I wouldn't be on the fighting side of same sex marriage (or against since I let people live their lives. whatever makes them happy) This means that you have to have paper for everything like hospital visit, wills, no family medical benefits (everyone get their own) but... I can't see this happening cause our society is so ingrain with these privileges and won't give it up (the hetro couples)

K

Kitty Sinatra

W

WolfOfOdin

But....but...if them thar gays get married, da world's gunna 'splode an' jim-bob's gunna marry him a turtle!

..Sorry, I just get amused by the argument that if we legalize gay marriage, people will marry plants and letters because they now don't know any better. I actually debated someone who held that point of view, and prefaced every statement with " The Lord said".

R

RocketGirl

I actually debated someone who held that point of view, and prefaced every statement with " The Lord said".

When I was a kid, I never knew squat about orders of nobility or what it meant to be a 'lord'. In fact, there were only two people I ever heard called 'Lord': God and Darth Vader.

...which may go a long way to explaining my aversion to religion. ;)

So when someone tells me that "the Lord said...", my first reaction is, "Here's what we need to do the opposite of..."

R

RocketGirl

Do they find your lack of faith disturbing?
Strangely, no.

My YouTube channel is dedicated largely to rabid-and-screaming atheism, and yet I get such a tiny percentage of the trolls compared to my other YouTube peeps.

Has anyone else ever noticed that the majority of sunday morning christians have never actually read the bible cover to cover? They just pick out the passages that Billy Graham told them about and take that as the gospel truth.

I've read the bible multiple times... which probably explains why I'm an atheist.

Though, I do have to say, as I have many times, that the atheists who are just as rabbid as the fundamentalists annoy me just as much as the holy rollers.

Has anyone else ever noticed that the majority of sunday morning christians have never actually read the bible cover to cover? They just pick out the passages that Billy Graham told them about and take that as the gospel truth.
Yes. Those of us who teach in higher Christian education are shockingly aware of this.

I've read the bible multiple times... which probably explains why I'm an atheist.
I have too! Which probably explain why I'm a Christian. :p

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I've never read the bible. Does that make me Jewish?
Did you read the Torah?[/QUOTE]

Or as we Christians call it, the Old Testament.[/QUOTE]

That is incorrect though. The Old Testament is a ton of books (the number varies per version of the Bible), whereas the Torah is only 5 books: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.[/QUOTE]

Ah... if you were in my class I'd totally give you extra points for being right and for being SO DAMN STYLIN!:cool:

I've never read the bible. Does that make me Jewish?
Did you read the Torah?[/QUOTE]

Or as we Christians call it, the Old Testament.[/QUOTE]

That is incorrect though. The Old Testament is a ton of books (the number varies per version of the Bible), whereas the Torah is only 5 books: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.[/QUOTE]

Ah... if you were in my class I'd totally give you extra points for being right and for being SO DAMN STYLIN!:cool:[/QUOTE]

lol thanks? ^.^

I just see that mistake being made a lot.[/QUOTE]

You and me both sister.

W

WolfOfOdin

Hehe, I get amused by people who think the Torah is nothing but the Old Testament...No one's read the Midrash or the Talmud?!

Hell, I perused the Upanisads, the Bagavad Gita, the Book of Invasions, the Havamal and the Treatises on how the please the Olympian Gods before I even tried debating religion

Status
Not open for further replies.