General Empyrion Thread

I think they function like POIs, and are supposed to regen occasionally, but I don’t know the regen period, or if they even regen at all, given the haphazard regen settings.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Any clue what triggers zirax drones in space? I never see any in the starter system, but the further away I go, the more often I'm tending to see them. Will they diminish over time if you build bases and the like? what's the scoop?
I have no idea. It might be a randomly intrinsic value of any given space sector.

Though, also, there are some POIs that generate drones.

I could not find anything definitive about space drone spawns with a quick check of the forums.
One person says the initial smattering of “independent” drones never gets replaced. Another echoes Gas that there are “drone base” POIs that generate space drones BUT there was disagreement as to whether destroying this base would stop them from spawning, stop them temporarily until the base repawns, or whether they would continue to spawn.
Guess you’ll just have to light them up and find out.

—Patrick

well, bleh..i'm trying to find a good place to pick for my first jump-web base....and the planetary sector I picked seems just chock full o' drones and a dreadnaught every time I jump in there.

question: Autominers.
Do drones attack them? Seems like it'd be a waste to have to put a defensive base around each autominer.

Also, who has two thumbs and put autominers on the starter playfield, forgetting about the daily wipes? lol

I don’t think so?
Drones generally target structures (especially base structures), i.e., things with Cores, and I believe autominers are treated the same as portable constructors/heaters, water generators, work lights, etc.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Drones only attack players and structures with cores, like Pat says. So on PvE worlds, you're entirely safe placing unprotected autominers. (other than starting worlds which, while not wiping NIGHTLY right now, do get wiped on request).

With your server down, I'm using the time to spawn various workshop items in a local survival game and tinkering with them. Found a decent enough combat SV that I was able to take out all the turrets of a lvl 5 drone base. Now I gotta get an HV that can drill down to the core afterwards ;)

updating some of my old builds from the previous alpha version, such as my repair pod--adding solar to it, for instance, since repair is so dear. Made a teleport web base that's basically a tiny square with a teleport pad inside, with max solar and flak cannons to ward off drones. I'll be trying that out in the drone-heavy sector I previously mentioned.

Now I gotta get an HV that can drill down to the core afterwards ;)
There's an SV for that on the workshop called "The-Infiltrator." It's a tiny little bugger that can fit through doorways and that packs 4 gatling guns, which means you can even drill through walls with it. And the advantage of being an SV is that it can fly up instead of being limited to ground effect travel. I don't know if it is still viable with the latest updates, and I don't know how many other similar microSVs are on the workshop, but it might still serve as a starting point to design something new.

--Patrick

There's an SV for that on the workshop called "The-Infiltrator." It's a tiny little bugger that can fit through doorways and that packs 4 gatling guns, which means you can even drill through walls with it. And the advantage of being an SV is that it can fly up instead of being limited to ground effect travel. I don't know if it is still viable with the latest updates, and I don't know how many other similar microSVs are on the workshop, but it might still serve as a starting point to design something new.

--Patrick
I didn't even consider ultra-small SV's.
I'm liking the look of this one.

I knew there were more, but T-I was the only one I could remember the name of.
I think there's a lot of potential there. I also have a storage SV that's small enough to fit through doors, and another that holds more than twice as much that's small enough to fit through an empty block (but not through an actual door). That way I make my storage more modular and easier to pick up and move.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Looks like I'm back up again. Probably got fixed at some point during the day but I had to reboot my modem one more time.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think I should probably clarify something - I'm not playing empryion much anymore. Weeks ago Emrys and I hit the PVE endgame, did that for a couple weeks, and then ran out of things to do because there's nobody to PvP with on this server and Emrys probably wouldn't enjoy the stress that entails anyway.

So, chances are, I'm not going to notice that the server needs updating or something else is wrong unless somebody points it out to me.

Server's updated.

First I've heard it needed it. Maybe you should have said something 2 days ago.
I honestly assumed you would just notice, or Tin/Shadows/someone would've said something, or the like. Plus there was that election thing...
I think I should probably clarify something - I'm not playing empryion much anymore.
Ah, I wondered. Thanks for keeping it running for the rest of us, but if that's the case then I won't be surprised if/when you announce it's going away.
I'm a wuss.
For me, solving the engineering challenges is more rewarding than the battles.

--Patrick

or Tin/Shadows/someone would've said something
--Patrick
Haven't been on in a few days--prepping for a new job. :)

But my PVE endgame is going to look much different that GBs. I'm about to start going through all the space sectors I have bases in, and clearing them of Zirax.

Oh, and I just learned from youtube the other day, Pirate trading posts let you buy ammo. So there's a definite bonus to staying on their good side.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ah, I wondered. Thanks for keeping it running for the rest of us, but if that's the case then I won't be surprised if/when you announce it's going away.
Running things the way I have been running them this time is much lower effort. With everything on default settings, and me not curating a special custom map, it's easy and near effortless to keep going. So, it'll probably not be coming down anytime soon. We might revisit that thought when the next major version upgrade comes out that would require making a new map.

So do the other stations, via the “Station Services” tab. Not all do, it appears to vary based on station size.

—Patrick
Ah, I haven't seen one yet that had ammo. But I was watching a workshop CV build video and saw a guy buy some from a pirate station, so made the assumption that's where you can get it from.

GasBandit

Staff member
What IS the PvE endgame? I thought it didn't have one.
Exactly.

Once POIs are trivial, the game gets stale again. Frankly the new zirax CVs are pretty anemic too... One Belial with a shield generator absolutely annihilates any of them , no contest. The only real challenge is in leaving something worth salvaging.

What IS the PvE endgame? I thought it didn't have one.
There are mods and such which add more PvE content, but, much like Minecraft, the endgame ends up being "what you make of it." So the endgame experience is going to depend on how many people are playing on any particular server, and also the skills and imagination of the DM...er, I mean the server admin(s).

--Patrick

TIL:
When breaking down a CV or base with a CV multitool, it's good to turn on "show structural integrity" in the debug menu. Everything on the thing you're breaking down with highlight bright red, making sure you don't miss any little pieces like lights or flares.

So, when I destroy Zirax blocks, I'm supposed to gain faction in other factions. Polaris +1, Pirates +1, Kriel +2, and Talon +1.

1606094259076.png

I'm not getting any credit for Talon. I've pushed my polaris and pirates faction to friendly and honored to Kriel. My talon still stays stuck at Unfriendly/1685. Bug? I shoulda gotten out of the doghouse with them by now.

I watched it carefully as I took out the destroyer mentioned above, plus 2 defense stations, a resupply station and a orbital production station. No change.

(incidentally, I've cleared the starting sector of Sudrystelerit of Zirax..lol)

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
So, when I destroy Zirax blocks, I'm supposed to gain faction in other factions. Polaris +1, Pirates +1, Kriel +2, and Talon +1.

View attachment 36250

I'm not getting any credit for Talon. I've pushed my polaris and pirates faction to friendly and honored to Kriel. My talon still stays stuck at Unfriendly/1685. Bug? I shoulda gotten out of the doghouse with them by now.

I watched it carefully as I took out the destroyer mentioned above, plus 2 defense stations, a resupply station and a orbital production station. No change.

(incidentally, I've cleared the starting sector of Sudrystelerit of Zirax..lol)
I don't know for certain that this is one of them, but there are some faction adjustments that only take effect if you are already at a certain reputation level. You might have to slum it and kill predators to get your talon faction back up to neutral.

Also, damage done by turrets you aren't manually controlling do not give exp or faction adjustments.

damage done by turrets you aren't manually controlling do not give exp or faction adjustments.
This is the one that got me until I remembered I had to be manning whatever weapon did the damage in order to get the credit.
Of course, this has also saved me when my unmanned turrets accidentally tore up a friendly installation because I forgot to disable them before flying into friendly territory, sooo...

--Patrick

I don't know for certain that this is one of them, but there are some faction adjustments that only take effect if you are already at a certain reputation level. You might have to slum it and kill predators to get your talon faction back up to neutral.

Also, damage done by turrets you aren't manually controlling do not give exp or faction adjustments.
I knew that last bit...Usually I take a POI's generator out with the auto turrets, and then pound away a while at the remaining structure with the manual rocket launchers, watching the +1 faction messages flow up. I just didn't see any for Talon, so I started pulling up the faction list every few shots to double check.

GasBandit

Staff member
I knew that last bit...Usually I take a POI's generator out with the auto turrets, and then pound away a while at the remaining structure with the manual rocket launchers, watching the +1 faction messages flow up. I just didn't see any for Talon, so I started pulling up the faction list every few shots to double check.
Even post-launch, it's
Alpha
As
Fish.