General Empyrion Thread

GasBandit

Staff member
TIL: If you kick the crap out of a level 1 Zirax defense station, it will spawn in a corvette that is decidedly not level 1.
Usually it notifies you by a big red message that the station has broadcasted a distress signal, and you are going to have company in X seconds....

I notice you guys are really bad about paying attention to chat.

Now that I can fly around and make money and stuff, I was able to reconfigure my starter base and add some grow plots.
Now, I have everything I need to make Emergency Rations. Screw perishable food, I say.
1602289994603.png

Last edited:
I'm trying 2 plans.

First plan, 10 plots: 1 pear, 3 spice, 4 tomatoes, 2 flowers. Will make 1 rations.

2nd plan, 8 plots: 2 pumpkin, 1 orange, 3 spice, 2 flowers. Will make 1 ration.

First plan grows faster. Second plan gives you a couple left over plots for the same space. I'm seeing which I prefer.

Last edited:
I'll do the algebra for the rations later, but the most efficient plants are:

Fruit - Space Orange
Vegetables - Pumpkin
Grain - Corn
Natural Stimulant - Coffee Plant

The rest of the crops only have one plant to choose from, so they're kinda obvious. Except for ahax plants. There is absolutely no reason to plant ahax because getting your plant protein from vegetables is SO much more efficient. Even a tomato will give you 8 protein in 81 min (includes food processor time) instead of waiting 90 for the ahax to give you just 5.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Oh hey, latest patch notes say they've fixed a bug where "setting home/respawn at your own structure does not work." That sounds useful.

--Patrick

What's the most efficient growing plan for Emergency Rations?
First plan, 10 plots: 1 pear, 3 spice, 4 tomatoes, 2 flowers. Will make 1 rations.
2nd plan, 8 plots: 2 pumpkin, 1 orange, 3 spice, 2 flowers. Will make 1 ration.
The most efficient growing plan plot-wise is 6 plots: 2x flower, 1x orange, 1x spice, 2x pumpkin. This will give you the materials for 1 ration every 145 minutes with 4x fruit and 4x vegetables left over. Can also swap out the orange and ONE of the two pumpkins for 1x pearthing and 1x tomato if you don't want to accumulate unused fruit and vegetables.

The most efficient space/speed compromise is 7 plots: 2x flower, 1x pearthing, 1x spice, 3x tomatoes. This will give you the materials for 1 ration every 90 minutes with nothing left over. This is also probably the best option if you intend to adventure away from your garden and just want to be able to walk into your mini base at random times and find one entire ration's worth of ingredients ready to go.

The most efficient for large-scale production is 10(8)* plots: 4(2)x flower*, 1x orange, 2x spice, 3x pumpkin. This will give you the materials for 2 rations every 145 minutes with nothing left over. *This can be reduced to 8 plots by removing 2x flower IF you are going to be around often/long enough to harvest the bud flowers twice while you are waiting for the pumpkins/orange to mature. Or you can split the difference and just plant 3x flower (9 plots total, which is a perfect square!) and hope that the extra bud harvests of opportunity will average out over time.
Hrm, well, apparently this patch doesn't need a server update? Because I see you on it, now...
Build increased, but version number didn't.

--Patrick

Last edited:
The most efficient growing plan plot-wise is 6 plots: 2x flower, 1x orange, 1x spice, 2x pumpkin. This will give you the materials for 1 ration every 145 minutes with 4x fruit and 4x vegetables left over. Can also swap out the orange and ONE of the two pumpkins for 1x pearthing and 1x tomato if you don't want to accumulate unused fruit and vegetables.

The most efficient space/speed compromise is 7 plots: 2x flower, 1x pearthing, 1x spice, 3x tomatoes. This will give you the materials for 1 ration every 90 minutes with nothing left over. This is also probably the best option if you intend to adventure away from your garden and just want to be able to walk into your mini base at random times and find one entire ration's worth of ingredients ready to go.

The most efficient for large-scale production is 10(8)* plots: 4(2)x flower*, 1x orange, 2x spice, 3x pumpkin. This will give you the materials for 2 rations every 145 minutes with nothing left over. *This can be reduced to 8 plots by removing 2x flower IF you are going to be around often/long enough to harvest the bud flowers twice while you are waiting for the pumpkins/orange to mature. Or you can split the difference and just plant 3x flower (9 plots total, which is a perfect square!) and hope that the extra bud harvests of opportunity will average out over time.

Build increased, but version number didn't.

--Patrick
I have space for 3 of the 10-plot builds and one of the 6 plot builds. Thanks!

I have space for 3 of the 10-plot builds and one of the 6 plot builds. Thanks!
I would use those extra 6 plots for medicinal herbs, myself.

Before the whole CPU limit thing went in, I built a base I call my "Boring Cube." It's a 13x13x13 PvE space base with 2x Deconstructors, 8x Adv Constructors*, 3x Furnaces*, 6x Food Processors*, a complete services area (all the med bays, O2, and Repair Stations for equipment and ships) ... and 81x growing plots.

--Patrick
*This was back when you could store food/mats IN the processors themselves, so no cargo/fridges needed.

GasBandit

Staff member
I plan on swapping it out for exactly that, once i get a reliable source of alien teeth or whatever those few mats are you can't craft.
A reliable source of alien teeth he says...

Every time I come back from a round of harvesting my autominers I have like 27 alien teeth.

Dave

Staff member
So question. I looked for a CV that I want to use for combat in space (or helping with POIs) and found this one. But the server tells me it's not allowed. Is there a way to find out why?

Yes. You can spawn it in a local Creative game and go over it to see what’s up with it.
My guess is that it exceeds the turret count. I think the maximum # of sentry turrets is only 10 and not 12?

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
So you’re going after space PoI’s now? Cuz you remember that most CV weapons don’t work in atmosphere, right?

—Patrick
Enough of them do that smaller POIs will be taken out. At least the turrets will be. I took my "combat" SV to a level 2 POI and it got murdered.

GasBandit

Staff member
Enough of them do that smaller POIs will be taken out. At least the turrets will be. I took my "combat" SV to a level 2 POI and it got murdered.
Just FYI, even decent combat CVs get murdered in atmo by even basic Zirax POIs. The only turrets that work are cannon/minigun, and no direct fire weapons do. You really need an SV to do atmo POIs. With shields and homing missiles, but still small enough to dodge plasma cannons.

Speaking of POIs....
I'm not an FPS player. And even back in the day when we were all gathering and doing POI runs, I was content to sit in my SV and run support by taking out turrets, or bad guys on ledges/levels that were hard to reach.

But I'd kinda like to do an on-foot poi run--Dave suggested the Elder's Tomb recently. Anyone wanna arrange to meet with me and kind of show me the ropes? I'm not even sure what all equipment is suitable.

GasBandit

Staff member
Something else you guys might not know - you can now put minigun turrets on SVs. This comes in handy so that, if you are going to do a POI, you can leave the engine running in your SV and set the turret to shoot drones and troops only. An absolute must for assaulting the Drone Base if you don't want to come out to a cored, useless SV.

if you are going to do a POI, you can leave the engine running in your SV and set the turret to shoot drones and troops only. An absolute must for assaulting the Drone Base if you don't want to come out to a cored, useless SV.
My next move might actually be to design a cannon & sentry turret-equipped CV "heat shield" that encloses an assault SV. Land the CV, leave it running to chew up defenses and soak hits while I hop into the SV docked on its rear to come around and go all Pharah on the PoI.

--Patrick