General Empyrion Thread

GasBandit

Staff member
So after coming back and finding my base dead AGAIN, I'm adding a motion sensor to my teleporter to see if that makes any difference. 100500 in battery and 120000 in fuel with 300PU draw, we'll see how long I can go now between visits.

--Patrick
.... if you've been leaving your teleporter on constantly without a motion sensor, yes, that will absolutely drain your base completely. That thing is like 25kpu.

Thanks to PatrThom for giving me exactly enough neo to upgrade my large constructor to advanced and churn out a gravity generator for my space base.

It's a nice-to-have quality of life issue and I asked him not to give me any more than that, so I wouldn't ruin the fun of warping around and finding it for myself. I have a heavy fighter (for poi runs) queued up, and I need 15 more neo to get it. :)

Oh, and if *ever* get positive rep with Pol again, I got a lot of gold now to trade for nicer armor so that I don't gotta run from my ship to the base like a streaker at the superbowl.

.... if you've been leaving your teleporter on constantly without a motion sensor, yes, that will absolutely drain your base completely. That thing is like 25kpu.
It's 12kPU. My 15 solar panels provide enough to drive the teleporter and a running constructor and still end an entire day/night cycle with more in the battery than when I started. Solar is br0ken.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Don't update your files! Empyrion put out an update to 1.2 from 1.1.7 and until Gas updates the server you'll be locked out.

Don't be like Dave.

GasBandit

Staff member
Don't update your files! Empyrion put out an update to 1.2 from 1.1.7 and until Gas updates the server you'll be locked out.

Don't be like Dave.
Or, you know, tell Gas that the server needs to be updated, and usually he can remote in and update from just about anywhere :p

Server updated.

Don't be like Dave.
I didn't have a choice, it updated the instant I loaded Steam this morning. I knew it was coming, just wasn't expecting it until next week.

If you ARE ever in a situation where you need to revert to an earlier version, there is an option that will force Empyrion to run an older version of the client. Handy for times when Gas gets overwhelmed by deepfakes (or work).
work hours.
Come now, you know Gas is above such distinctions.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Couple of questions for @GasBandit.

1. Do autominers deplete resources?
  2. Do nodes respawn anywhere other than the asteroids and the starting planets?
  3. I know CPU are turned off and weight restrictions are turned off for individuals, but is weight turned off for ships?
Pat sort of answered these, but all of his answers were qualified by "I think" or "maybe". So I'm getting it from the source.

GasBandit

Staff member
Couple of questions for @GasBandit.

1. Do autominers deplete resources?
  2. Do nodes respawn anywhere other than the asteroids and the starting planets?
  3. I know CPU are turned off and weight restrictions are turned off for individuals, but is weight turned off for ships?
Pat sort of answered these, but all of his answers were qualified by "I think" or "maybe". So I'm getting it from the source.
1)No.
2)No planet-based nodes. Only asteroids. However, if a planet's supply of a given mineral falls below a certain threshold (I think it's 10% of original max) meteors of that substance will begin to fall from the sky. Except gold, there are no gold meteors TMK
3)No inventory-based weight restrictions are on at any level, ship, base, personal, or otherwise. I THINK that's an all or nothing thing, too... to turn any of it on would turn all of it on.

Pat sort of answered these, but all of his answers were qualified by "I think" or "maybe".
I know CPU and volume restrictions are turned off, but weight still matters for things like escape velocity. I have not tested whether cargo/docked ships/etc actually add to ship weight. I can only guess at based on inspection, I don’t have admin access to be able to check them directly.

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
In this episode of "what now?" Dave finds out that being too far away from shelter when fire rain starts hurts. Hurts bad.

After getting shot in the face, and then flying 8km in freezing space, reaching atmo with only about 30hp to spare from hypothermia, Tinwhistler learns how to use the "upgrade" feature of his multitool to increase his 25hp windshield to 150hp ;)

(and also learns to have a stack of small blocks on hand to patch holes, if necessary)

reaching atmo with only about 30hp to spare from hypothermia
You may want to build yourself (or buy) an EVA armor booster. They reduce your armor and heat resistance, but you basically become immune to cold. Handy for all your Extra-Vehicular Activities.

I know you and @Dave are on the outs with Polaris right now, but part of what got me out of the system so quickly is that the Polaris space station actually sells small amounts of neodymium, cobalt, and the like. So, once I could afford it, I sailed up there and bought enough Nd/Co to build my warp drive and advanced constructor so I could go cut my teeth on asteroids for the rest.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I keep hearing Neodiddleyum as being a concern... I'll just chime in that I know it's kinda rare in the starting system - in fact, when it was first generated, the RNG dropped the ball and there was literally no Neodymium ANYWHERE in the Ellyron system, anywhere. I had to edit it to add a source. It's only found as an asteroid in one of the sectors that has no planet. Just FYI.

You may want to build yourself (or buy) an EVA armor booster. They reduce your armor and heat resistance, but you basically become immune to cold. Handy for all your Extra-Vehicular Activities.

I know you and @Dave are on the outs with Polaris right now, but part of what got me out of the system so quickly is that the Polaris space station actually sells small amounts of neodymium, cobalt, and the like. So, once I could afford it, I sailed up there and bought enough Nd/Co to build my warp drive and advanced constructor so I could go cut my teeth on asteroids for the rest.

—Patrick
Yeah, I'm aware :) I was up in the Pol station ready to make a shopping list when I picked a fruit and they all started shooting at me. I've been regretting it ever since. I haven't found any pol territory to shoot predators in, so I'm hoping that when I finally scrape up 15 neo, I'll have a poi SV capable of taking on small Zirax pois, and that will hopefully raise my Pol rep.

Also FYI Nd is highly available in other nearby systems, so as long as you can scrape up enough to get you at least one jump away, you’ll probably be good to go from there.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, I'm aware :) I was up in the Pol station ready to make a shopping list when I picked a fruit and they all started shooting at me. I've been regretting it ever since. I haven't found any pol territory to shoot predators in, so I'm hoping that when I finally scrape up 15 neo, I'll have a poi SV capable of taking on small Zirax pois, and that will hopefully raise my Pol rep.
There's a large swath of Polaris territory in the northern hemisphere of Sudrystelerit.

Also FYI it is highly available in other nearby systems, so as long as you can scrape up enough to get you at least one jump away, you’ll probably be good to go from there.

—Patrick
I figured. I've jumped to two systems so far, and neither had it in the list. But I did find gold, titanium and magnesium. Grabbing enough pentaxid from the moon is easy enough for me to keep jumping around in system til I find it. I'll take GBs big hint above and look there next ;) Once I can get out of system, I assume all bets are off, and I'll be able to find everything.

Question: When I'm looking at factions, there's not much to do to raise Pol faction but kill predators.

But, when I look at "tal" faction, it looks like killing those guys gives me +Pol faction. Does that mean I can go into those spear chucker's territories, kill some pois, and get good with Pol again? Because there's a bunch right next to my starter base.

I haven't found any pol territory to shoot predators in
There‘s one small one near the southern end of the planet, right near Aislynn’s “Hanging Gardens” base, and there’s a HUGE Polaris region in the northern hemisphere just east of the Talon-owned radiated area. The smaller one has the bonus of a station offering Station Services, which means you can fuel up, ammo up, and even get repairs over WiFi without even getting out of your SV, which gets you back to shooting predators that much faster.
Does that mean I can go into those spear chucker's territories, kill some pois, and get good with Pol again?
Yes, though it means Talon will hate you.

I‘ve found lake shores are great for finding those tentacle snot monsters to shoot at.

—Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Question: When I'm looking at factions, there's not much to do to raise Pol faction but kill predators.

But, when I look at "tal" faction, it looks like killing those guys gives me +Pol faction. Does that mean I can go into those spear chucker's territories, kill some pois, and get good with Pol again? Because there's a bunch right next to my starter base.
Odd, I thought killing Talons lowered Polaris... but at any rate, it'd be faster to kill predators or Zirax to repair your Polaris faction.

I know that killing ZIrax gets you more friendly with just about everyone else (except the Zirax, duh), but of course that means you have to go fight Zirax. At least they have patrols, so you can sit just inside the red border and pick off patrols all day long, so long as they don’t hit you with too many rockets.

—Patrick

Found the neodynium. Whee :)

There was a level 2 supply depot near my starter base. With my new fighter SV with a 900hp cockpit, I blew the crap out of it with rockets until my Pol rep turned neutral. Brought it back to base, and I lost a few steel blocks of damage, but that was easily replaced. Loaded up on trade goods and headed to Pol Orbital Trading Station.

Now I have medium armor, and some armor boosts so I can hang out in space. I'm starting to make t2 stuff. Bought me a grain sprout. Will buy me a fruit sprout next time I'm in the neighborhood. So, I can just about make any food/medicine I need.

It looks like I can probably scrap the mining SV now, since I don't need to stand in it to drone-mine, which was a PITA.

I finally feel like I'm not just scraping by to survive. Next step..higher tier materials: Zascosium, Erestrum, etc.

Mining laser takes level 25 in the tech tier on an SV. Not there yet :)
To be fair, 24 is not that far.
Not if you build it from a template you find on the Workshop. If you do that you can build anything, even if you're not a high enough level.
Still have to have the right materials, though. Which probably means at least a bit longer standing on top of a ship with a drill and a drone.

--Patrick

my first mining rig let you stand in the ship and drone out, which was nice since I couldn't stand in space for very long.
Now, I can mine directly which is more convenient--no range limit away from ship. I haven't found any advanced materials yet, but I'm on the search for them (and a better source of pentaxid than hunt-and-gather)

This is good to know, as I intend to kick the crap out of an indeterminate number of Zirax installations. I do not intend to loot them, either. All I want is for the remaining ones to worry that they might be next.

—Patrick