Export thread

Halforum Minecraft Server

Limit: 500

Shakey

Shakey

I decided to spin this off from the other Minecraft thread to make sure it was easier for people to find it.

We have a new Minecraft server up and running! It's a plain Vanilla server with no mods. With Mojang updating the API to make modding easier, each new release really hoses the current mods. Which makes it a pain to keep up to date.

To join just post in here or PM me with your name in game. There is a whitelist on the server, and I need to add you to it before you can connect. If you still can't get in after I add you, let me know.
The address for the server is: 198.154.113.26

We've already got a good amount of people playing, so claim your perfect spot while you can!

We now have a live map up and running. It will show changes in real time.
http://198.154.113.26:7500/

Here's a map of where we're at now: Map 2-27-14

Current whitelisted players:
  • aussietizzers - WasabiPoptarts hubby
  • awesomepossum69 - Far's friend
  • Blockphysh - Thread Necromancer
  • cheesy1 - cheesy1
  • covar - covar
  • dave_terry - David
  • dirona - dirona
  • edrondol - Dave
  • eriolancalagon - eriol
  • farwielder - Far
  • figmentpez - figmentpez
  • jake5675 (Non-forum member)
  • LordRendar - LordRendar
  • MattGrub - Grub
  • Mikessoul- Bones
  • mr_bogus - Drifter
  • patrthom - patrthom
  • shakey_jones - Shakey
  • stienman - stienman
  • strawberrytea - Dei
  • twitchmoss - twitchmoss
  • TomarusAnguirel - Gared

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Except there's now a gigantic hole in the desert near the spawn point because I needed the sandstone there for my tower. :p

strawman

strawman

I doubt I'll be able to play anytime soon, but when I do have time there won't be time to notify you and get whitelisted, so please add 'stienman' to your whitelist, and hopefully I'll make an appearance eventually.

Shakey

Shakey

OK, a few comments/questions.

1. Where's your house on the overworld for the portal? Co-ordinates are best. I'm glad you have it covered to the fortress, though I'm OK with running from ghasts. As long as the portal itself is enclosed (no disabling of it by ghasts) it's all good IMO.
  2. The map is awesome. Keep it as isometric. I prefer those to top-down or anything, and by definition north is "not up" and it's fine. As long as it's consistent, it's all good. Thanks for the link too. I may use on my own stuff.
  3. I'll be trying in the Nether for sure. I'll also likely build a portal at my place, even if it's a trivial distance in the nether. I'll make them "link up" perfectly so I won't disable yours or anything.
Thanks again for hosting this man! It's always good to see what other people can do!
My House is at x:246, z:363. It's just a hole in the ground at the top of a hill right now. The portal should be at the second torch down.

The portal is surrounded on the other side, so you're safe there. When you get to the fort, you'll probably see a bunch of cobble. That's where I trapped the blaze spawner, hopefully I did it right. So be ready if you break some of that out.

Shakey

Shakey

I doubt I'll be able to play anytime soon, but when I do have time there won't be time to notify you and get whitelisted, so please add 'stienman' to your whitelist, and hopefully I'll make an appearance eventually.
Whenever you can is cool. You should be set!

Dave

Dave

Edrondol will be there tonight, making small, blocky houses and digging everywhere.

One question. Monsters on?

Shakey

Shakey

One question. Monsters on?
Yep, but it's not on hardcore so it's not bad.

There's a house at the spawn that you can use to work out of at first, and a few items to get yourself started with in a chest. If it needs restocked, or we should have other stuff in there, let me know. I don't want to make it too easy on people though. :p

Covar

Covar

Good thing I didn't have evening plans.

Please whitelist Covar.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I might play some over the break. Please whitelist figmentPez .

Shakey

Shakey

@Dave was kind enough to set it up so that you can now just put in mc.halforums.com:26057 for the server instead of the IP address. It should make it a little easier if we ever have to move the server.

I probably won't post these maps every day, but it's fun to look at the changes a bit more often at the start. Here's todays map: 12-10-13 Map
Cheesy's tower is pretty impressive, and it looks like Eriol has flooded his mountain. :D Drifter seems reaching for the clouds with his stair case going nowhere. I think that's Dei's house in the desert. My mountain is a bit empty still. Not sure where others are building yet.[DOUBLEPOST=1386777001,1386776857][/DOUBLEPOST]@figmentPez and @Covar, you should be added now.

Eriol

Eriol

Thanks again for running this Shakey. It's always "a bit of a thing" to run a server, of any kind. And thanks Dave for providing a DNS lookup for it. Makes things easier for new people.

I have indeed flooded significant areas of my mountain. Mob suppression. You know how hard it is to adequately light up something that size and with that much vertical? Kept the front clear though. Just backside protection. Fenced EVERYTHING else. So no chance of misunderstanding with "territory" of what's mine. A ravine rings my turf, but there's also a fence in case somebody's unclear. ;)

Thanks again for co-ordinates. I'll be looking in today.

Dave

Dave

Backside protection is the best kind of protection.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Backside protection is the best kind of protection.

Shakey

Shakey

You're welcome @Eriol. I'm just glad to finally be on a server where I don't have to worry about having all my stuff blown up with a pile of TNT.

Dave

Dave

You're welcome @Eriol. I'm just glad to finally be on a server where I don't have to worry about having all my stuff blown up with a pile of TNT.
Yet.

Shakey

Shakey

drifter

drifter

If y'all end up with extra dirt you don't need, I'd love to take it off your hands.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

We may have to set up a central post office like we did on the first Halforums server.

Dirona

Dirona

That was a nice feature. Though I think that so far the house and chests at spawn work pretty well for that.

EDIT: And, if people want horses, Eriol and I each have one, and are offering breeding services. If you see either of us on, and want a horse, just holler. Bring your own saddle (or lead).

EDIT EDIT: Shakey, your foal is all grown up now. He's the unnamed brown one with white 'socks.'

Eriol

Eriol

That was a nice feature. Though I think that so far the house and chests at spawn work pretty well for that.
On that note, I have stocked the "initial" chest with 4 beds, ready-to-use, along with at least a few each of every "farmable" type of thing. So the following are there:
  • Melon Seeds
  • Pumpkin Seeds
  • Potatoes
  • Wheat Seeds
  • Carrots
  • Nether Wart - Soul sand to grow them is not included
  • Sugar Cane
In the future I will put every type of sapling I have as well, though there will probably be a run on Dark Oak, as you NEED 4 of them to make a tree with, and the canopy isn't THAT big. Dirona found a grove of them to the deep south-west, across the desert, if you're interested in the actual biome. We also need additional donations of carrots. Only 10 or so in there. So be careful taking them.

There's also a half-stack of bread. So if you're starting out, take what you need, and come back later when you've started farming.

Eriol

Eriol

Oh an as Dirona said, we're offering horse breeding services, but unfortunately we'll have to charge 3 gold bars per horse, as that's the amount it takes to actually breed them, with only a bit of extra. Or bring two golden carrots (or apples). We don't have much gold, so this is necessary for us.

Shakey

Shakey

EDIT EDIT: Shakey, your foal is all grown up now. He's the unnamed brown one with white 'socks.'
Sweet! Thanks. I'll get a pen for him built and come over to pick him up soon.

I have a building! Or a shell of one. Or most of a shell of one... I gutted another nether brick tower and still need more. :cry: Not very much though. Next comes the dangerous part.

Lots of activity today. The map for today should be interesting!

Gared

Gared

Can you whitelist TomarusAnguirel, please? I'll probably drop in from time to time, have a look around if nothing else. Don't have too much time to play right now, though.

Eriol

Eriol

My farm is somewhat productive. I did a "full harvest" and this is what resulted. This is after a full re-plant as well, so this is NET for things like potatoes, carrots, etc.

Yield:
  • 128 Wheat - 2 full stacks
  • 30 sugar cane
  • 86 seeds - yes this is net, AFTER re-planting & still had this many left
  • 4 Pumpkins
  • 60 Melon (wedges)
  • 63 potatoes
  • 42 Carrots
  • 14 Nether Wart
So ya. Pretty productive.

Shakey

Shakey

Can you whitelist TomarusAnguirel, please? I'll probably drop in from time to time, have a look around if nothing else. Don't have too much time to play right now, though.
You're good to go.

For anyone that doesn't have time to build, feel free to just hop in and chat. Maybe wander around and see the sights. Don't feel like you have to start a build if you log in.

Shakey

Shakey

New map of everyone's work from yesterday! 12-11-2013 Map

People are making some serious progress. The next one I'll try to put peoples names next to their build. Still looking for a freaking jungle.

Anyone have suggestions on what type of block would look good as a floor in my nether brick tower? I'm thinking something lighter in color. It can look a bit dreary.

Also, is the difficulty of the monsters high enough? I could crank it up a bit if people want more of a challenge.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think it's pretty cool how the new terrain generator now does the snow thing based on elevation rather than just deigning "it snows on this plain in particular."

I'm also reminded of my first structure on the old minecraft server, back when Noaxark ran it on his own PC before we moved to professional hosting. I built a tiny stone hovel in a forest near Moss, then under a secret tile in the floor in the corner of the pathetic hut, there was a ladder leading down to a passage that connected to the entrance... of a nuclear missile silo I built under Moss's front yard. It had a very "60's bond villain base" flavor to it, with the meeting room with the big table and chairs, living quarters, control/launch facilities with lots of levers and buttons, and of course, the 60 meter tall ICBM in the silo itself.

It was months before he found out about it. I think Bones or somebody ran an X-Ray cheat client and said out loud "Hey Moss, why did you build a missile under your base?" "WHAT?!"

drifter

drifter

Apparently jungles are quite a bit more scarce since the 1.7 update. That's kind of annoying.

Dirona

Dirona

Anyone have suggestions on what type of block would look good as a floor in my nether brick tower? I'm thinking something lighter in color. It can look a bit dreary.
Also, is the difficulty of the monsters high enough? I could crank it up a bit if people want more of a challenge.
Re: block type for floor - blocks of iron would be sweet (slightly pricey), or snow. Both would lighten the place up without a lot of added textures (that birtch planks or logs would bring).
Re: Mobs - I'm good! I leave enough Creeper Craters in my wake as it is.

Oh, and you are planning on putting a pulsing red eye on the top of your tower, right? Glass encased lava ball or something?

Eriol

Eriol

Nice new map Shakey. Please remember to update your first post in the thread with the newest & archived maps.

It's interesting to bring two of them up next to each other and see what's changed for people building, as well as what's changed on the edges of the map. Most notably Dave (I think) building to the far south (down and right in the image) between the two latest.

Also, I echo Dirona. Difficulty is about right. I don't play on harder then normal. Not as much fun IMO.

Also, could people please post their forum name and minecraft name? I know a lot have already, but I'd appreciate if Shakey could consolidate it and put it at the top of the thread. My memory for it is horrible and I'd like to be able to check back!

Edit: and on that note, I'm "eriolancalagon" in Minecraft. Though mine is one of the more obvious.

Shakey

Shakey

Glass encased lava ball or something?
Exactly. :D With lava flowing down the sides. We'll see how many times I can cover the landscape in lava trying to pull that off.

I've got a version of it built in a single player creative world I use for planning builds, but I haven't tried filling the glass ball yet.[DOUBLEPOST=1386874314,1386874179][/DOUBLEPOST]I was going to put a list with whitelisted names and their forum names in the original post, but never got to it. Thanks for reminding me.

Dirona

Dirona

Exactly. :D With lava flowing down the sides. We'll see how many times I can cover the landscape in lava trying to pull that off.
As someone who has played with lava filled items in the past, may I recommend working with water to start with? Far less deadly.

Shakey

Shakey

As someone who has played with lava filled items in the past, may I recommend working with water to start with? Far less deadly.
That's no fun!

I'll work on it in my creative world first and get it figured out.

Dirona

Dirona

I get your stuff!

Alternately: mmm, BBQ.

Shakey

Shakey

I get your stuff!

Alternately: mmm, BBQ.
Should we start taking bets for how many times I die trying it?

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

". . . Shakey melted again . . ."

Shakey

Shakey

I didn't even see you down there @Dave. That is one heck of a haul. We'll have to set up a nether portal for you can get back and forth quicker and safer.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Have they fixed the pairing of nether portals yet, or do you still have to break and rebuild them to get them to link properly?

Eriol

Eriol

I didn't have to break any portals to get mine to link up correctly. I built it initially, it went to Shakey's in the nether, then I built one "correctly" in the nether for mine, and it goes back & forth to mine fine, without breaking anything. And Shakey's still works fine too.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Er, yeah, that's what I meant.. that they still initially all point at the same portal and you have to build the "correct" one. Wonder why they still haven't fixed that.

Shakey

Shakey

Er, yeah, that's what I meant.. that they still initially all point at the same portal and you have to build the "correct" one. Wonder why they still haven't fixed that.
My guess is they want it like that to prevent people from using it as an obsidian generator. Imagine making a portal, heading to the nether and making another portal 2 blocks away. Go through it and you'll have another portal generated in the regular world just 16 blocks away from the original. Break up the new one and head back through the original to the nether. Head back through the one you made in the nether, and another portal will be spawned in the regular world. Rinse and repeat.

By looking for and using other portals in a certain area and using them, you can't really do that.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Apparently jungles are quite a bit more scarce since the 1.7 update. That's kind of annoying.
People had complained that they were too common pre-1.7.

I have claimed a mountain S of spawn, don't remember the exact coordinates, but I am keeping its exterior unremarkable for right now.
It's all distance-based, so if two portals "solve" to the same location in the nether (or vice-versa) then you get funny linkages (or one-way portals).

--Patrick

Eriol

Eriol

It's not a bug that's why. Read this on the wiki: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Nether_Portal#Portal_Linkage_between_Overworld_and_Nether

Basically, portals aren't "destined" to go to one and only one exit each time. It does the search each and every time. It is also possible on a world with only one portal to travel to the nether, SEAL UP the original "spawn" location, die, and re-enter from earth, and it'll re-spawn somewhere else (possibly above/below the original). The linked page explains it pretty well.

But if you're looking for a "I create on earth, I want a new one in the nether every time" then that's not how it works. You can either break the old, as you were doing, or just build one with more obsidian, like I do typically.

GasBandit

GasBandit

That seems to be a retroactive design decision based on being too lazy to fix them to how they would intuitively work, if you ask me.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah, they always go to the "nearest neighbor," and apparently you can build a pretty quick fast travel solution if you take advantage of this, as you can make the two squares at the bottom of the portal each take you to someplace different in the overworld if you position them just right.
2-in-1 Nether Portals - It is possible to end up in a situation where a Nether Portal "randomly" places the player in 1 of 2 possible Normal World destination portals. This is simply because the Nether Portal has two effective coordinates as it is 2 blocks wide, say (X, Y, Z) on the left, and (X+1, Y, Z) on the right. If the player entered on the left side, (X, Y, Z) translates to (X*8, Y, Z*8) in the overworld and the game picks the portal closest to that. If the player entered on the right side, (X+1, Y, Z) translates to (X*8+8, Y, Z*8) and the game picks a portal closest to that point instead. This situation occurs when the Nether Portal's location is roughly equidistant between the 2 Normal World portals (within 8 blocks overworld distance difference). However, building 2 Nether Portals side by side is probably better for destination clarity than building a 2-in-1 portal. It is possible to span distances with pairs of portals in this way, though normally faster to simply walk through the Nether.
--Patrick

Eriol

Eriol

Thank you Shakey for giving me back my map. The server went down when i had it on the Anvil to re-name it so that it would be easier to identify than "Map #10". But then the server went down and it went POOF! So Shakey was able to console command the specific copy of the map (since it's a "special" server item) back. It was a maximum size map, 2048x2048 of the world. I had spent hours, and i'm not done. Here's a screenshot:
2013-12-12_22.31.22.png
So a bit more to fill in. Copies are available too. And they all update one another.

And a "local" map of around my place is right beside it. Item frames on the walls are great.

Shakey

Shakey

Last night was interesting. It seems like every time someone logged out, someone else logged in within a minute. I thought I could squeeze a restart in!

New picture from peoples progress yesterday. 12-12-2013 Map I added names near your builds. If I missed you, let me know. I'm not exactly sure where everyone is. I see @Dei made some good progress on her tower, and @Dave[DOUBLEPOST=1386960418,1386960225][/DOUBLEPOST]I also added @Eriol as an op in the server. So if you have any problems or need any help when I'm not on he should be able to help. He's been a huge help so far.

Eriol

Eriol

I also added @Eriol as an op in the server. So if you have any problems or need any help when I'm not on he should be able to help. He's been a huge help so far.
I aim to please!

I'm glad that my map filling-in didn't expand the server map much. Slightly, but more fill-in than anything.

Shakey

Shakey

I aim to please!

I'm glad that my map filling-in didn't expand the server map much. Slightly, but more fill-in than anything.
And still no Jungle! I might wander throught the nether for a ways in one direction, build a portal, and see where that plants me. Maybe we can find one if we get farther away. That doughnut hole is starting to bug me too.

Dave

Dave

Everyone is clumped together...then there's me.

Shakey

Shakey

so-ronery-pillows.jpg

drifter

drifter

So Shakey, how vanilla do you want this server? I recently found out quartz blocks are a thing, which would be perfect for my build, but I would need way more than a shitload. Any chance I could trade wool blocks (or something) for quartz blocks?

Dave

Dave

You still need dirt? I have lots of dirt. Like lots and lots of dirt.

drifter

drifter

Oh yeah! I'll swing by to pick it up!

PatrThom

PatrThom

I have 16 dirt. I treasure them.

I know this will change later, but for now I ration it for my dirtevator needs.

EDIT: I'm about halfway between Dei and Dave, in the trio of hills.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

I think I have close to a large chest filled with stacks of dirt.

Plunder as needed, just leave my 18 diamonds alone.

drifter

drifter

I'll take all of it, unless PatrThom would like some.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'll take all of it, unless PatrThom would like some.
Nope. I'll get more, I'm just working underground with mostly stone at the moment, hollowing out my base.

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

So Shakey, how vanilla do you want this server? I recently found out quartz blocks are a thing, which would be perfect for my build, but I would need way more than a shitload. Any chance I could trade wool blocks (or something) for quartz blocks?
I'd rather not. You give for someone, and everyone else wants it too. I don't even do that for myself. Quartz is pretty plentiful in the nether though, and it gives a ton of xp. I've still got a ton of obsidian from my mine if you want to build your own portal. We can sync it up like me and Eriol did too. That goes for everyone by the way. I think I've got 3 stacks of obsidian and still more to be mined...

drifter

drifter

Perfectly understandable. The only reason I asked is because it would not be particularly feasible to mine the amount I need. Ah well, wool it is then.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'd rather not. You give for someone, and everyone else wants it too.
This makes me so happy. I don't even "cheat" on my own server except to balance out injustices (losses due to lag, teleporting people around to check out the Cool New Thing rather than having to run 20min through the Nether, etc).

Someone convinced me to import a large building full of chests of supplies and I relented...on the condition that I would hide it and make everyone have to find it. It has been almost 2 years now and it remains undiscovered. Even though I finally relented again and made the entrance easier to find, it is still undiscovered. Someday it will become a hive of activity, but not yet, and when its supplies are exhausted, it will not be refilled.

One of the other players asked me to import a structure* for him, and though I inspected all the chests, he managed to sneak in a bunch of stuff in picture frames (at the time I had not considered them as a potential smuggle vector). I know what I'm going to do about this, but he's still due his punishment.

--Patrick
*It was a pirate ship, of all things.

drifter

drifter

Actually, I forgot; netherrack breaks pretty fast. Anybody have a guess how quickly one could branch mine a full chunk in the nether?

PatrThom

PatrThom

It still wears your picks down at normal speed, so you clear it fast, but you go through picks really quickly, too.

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

It still wears your picks down at normal speed, so you clear it fast, but you go through picks really quickly, too.

--Patrick
I always use cobble picks for that. Sure you waste a bit of wood, but there's always a ton of cobble and the speed difference in mining netherrack is pretty small.[DOUBLEPOST=1386972783,1386972716][/DOUBLEPOST]
Actually, I forgot; netherrack breaks pretty fast. Anybody have a guess how quickly one could branch mine a full chunk in the nether?
Pretty damn quick. Just remember quartz doesn't spawn at the very top or very bottom.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

I do miss the minecraft server stuff. can I be added to the whitelist?

I'm on there as twitchmoss, incidentally.

Eriol

Eriol

Also remember that there are "asshole" lava source blocks in the land mass of the nether. So be careful when mining.

A little bird told me about where there's some other biomes:

Jungle: 4700, -1024
Mesa: -6040, -2200
Mushroom Island: -2500, -3200 - bring your own silk touch shovel

I'll start digging to the Jungle through the Nether in a bit. Going to get a good way to Dave's place first.

NEW FEATURE: Nether Transport System has opened. I have placed a portal extremely near the spawn house. Big enough tunnels for horses to run through (you have to use a lead to get them through, THEN mount them). Currently goes to Eriol's (West) and Shakey's (East) places in addition to the spawn hut. Will be expanding to Dave's (south) shortly. Person-sized tunnel to Nether Fortress previously made by Shakey is also functioning. Warning: don't take a horse to Shakey's place. It won't be able to get out. Poor horses.

And there's a cavern right under spawn. I have lit most of it up, but not 100%, and have left the vast majority of the resources. I put a sign right by the entrance, which is literally right next to the entrance to the hut. So if anybody wants to go through there when they're new on the server, you can get yourself some coal & iron right away. Veterans please mine your own places!

figmentPez

figmentPez

I feel like I know nothing about Minecraft these days. I stopped playing before enchantments, most of the crops, abandoned mineshafts, etc. I may log in to the server just to look around, but what I really feel like doing is just some mindless tree farming.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I always use cobble picks for that.
I use cobble picks for everything that doesn't specifically require something higher (diamond/redstone/etc). I'm cheap.

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

I do miss the minecraft server stuff. can I be added to the whitelist?

I'm on there as twitchmoss, incidentally.
You're in!

I might be on later tonight, but I have to bottle up 100 bottles of beer. And that is not a quick project...

I would like to add a rail system in the nether tunnels eventually. That way you can load up chests and toss them in minecarts if you are making a big haul. Might be a bit easier than dragging a horse through the portal too.

Thanks for getting it all set up @Eriol!

grub

grub

I wouldn't mind looking around and maybe building a small hole somewhere. I'm logged in as MattGrub.
Thanks
Matt

Shakey

Shakey

I wouldn't mind looking around and maybe building a small hole somewhere. I'm logged in as MattGrub.
Thanks
Matt
You're in too!

Eriol

Eriol

So, the next server image should be interesting: I made it to the eastern jungle. Via the nether. On top of a tree! Seriously, that's where the portal generated, in the leaves of a tree. Kinda awesome if you ask me. I kept it there. There's a fairly easy way back up to it, though I may make it even easier later with a ladder or something, but I dunno. I don't think many will be going out there!

I deposited Jungle Saplings and Jungle Wood and Cacao in the chest at spawn. Somebody has already taken some of the saplings, but they promised they'd deposit more later. If not, I'll try and get my supply up as well to provide to people.

The trek is LONG in the Nether. Go to the nether fortress via Shakey's route, then follow some of the torches (they are in "corner" configurations) and then follow that out, and eventually to a portal! I didn't encase this one (yet) and the route is somewhat dangerous too (not next to a cliff or anything like that) due to anything that could possibly spawn in the fortress, and the exposure on the last half of the journey. But you WILL emerge in heavy jungle.

On that note, Dave, are you OK with me making a portal to you? I've "scouted" the route, and even have the stuff to enclose it (probably, mostly), but if you give me co-ordinates (based on a multiple of 8 please) I'll make a portal to your place from the Nether. That'll make it easier for you to get back & forth. I didn't want to pop one out on your property without say-so though.

Shakey

Shakey

That jungle is a ways away... 12-13-13 Map.
I started to make my nether tunnel a bit bigger, and unless @Eriol b

I didn't get a chance to label stuff today. Busy today. I doubt I'll be able to be on until sunday or monday night. So I'll probably skip the sunday map.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Uh-oh, someone has encroached on my territory.
I will leave them a note.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

If someone could drop some birch saplings in the spawn chest I would be grateful. :)

grub

grub

Uh-oh, someone has encroached on my territory.

--Patrick
I hope it wasn't me. If so I'm sorry. I won't be able to find another spot for another 12 hours.

Matt

PatrThom

PatrThom

I hope it wasn't me. If so I'm sorry. I won't be able to find another spot for another 12 hours.
No matter who it is, I don't mind sharing, but there may be some unintentional encroachment as a result.
I realize that by keeping my entrances disguised, I risk someone else coming in and setting up. It's not a huge deal unless our plans overlap.

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

If someone could drop some birch saplings in the spawn chest I would be grateful. :)
I have some. I'll drop them off later today, if no one else does.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Message left outside your dirt shack, whoever you are.

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

@Dei left some birch saplings at spawn.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Toward the end of the old server, my husband had joined and was looking around at all that was built. Is it ok if he joins this server? He's just looking for a place to play where he isn't getting griefed all the time.

Dei

Dei

I was going to ask if my husband could join too, but I don't know if he'll actually play.

Bones

Bones

I think it's pretty cool how the new terrain generator now does the snow thing based on elevation rather than just deigning "it snows on this plain in particular."

I'm also reminded of my first structure on the old minecraft server, back when Noaxark ran it on his own PC before we moved to professional hosting. I built a tiny stone hovel in a forest near Moss, then under a secret tile in the floor in the corner of the pathetic hut, there was a ladder leading down to a passage that connected to the entrance... of a nuclear missile silo I built under Moss's front yard. It had a very "60's bond villain base" flavor to it, with the meeting room with the big table and chairs, living quarters, control/launch facilities with lots of levers and buttons, and of course, the 60 meter tall ICBM in the silo itself.

It was months before he found out about it. I think Bones or somebody ran an X-Ray cheat client and said out loud "Hey Moss, why did you build a missile under your base?" "WHAT?!"
No...I didn't cheat, I just explored the crap out of the server, I died no less than 4 times disarming your crazy booby traps so you did't blow us all to kingdom come...

also I am totally in, I think every server needs a bombpop lighthouse on the shore of the nearest beach.

Dei

Dei

@Shakey, the server is lagging pretty bad and probably needs a restart.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hmm. Seems about what I remember, lag-wise. Annoying, but not quite deadly.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

I had a lot of mining lag (worse than usual) and arrows had a 2 second delay before flashing their damage.

GasBandit

GasBandit

No...I didn't cheat, I just explored the crap out of the server, I died no less than 4 times disarming your crazy booby traps so you did't blow us all to kingdom come...
Those were quite sensible and prudent booby traps, obviously.

Bones

Bones

Those were quite sensible and prudent booby traps, obviously.
which is why you spent 3 months finding "BONES WAS HERE" all over territory :-P
My personal favorite was the doorbell that dropped you into lava....

GasBandit

GasBandit

which is why you spent 3 months finding "BONES WAS HERE" all over territory :-P
My personal favorite was the doorbell that dropped you into lava....
What can I say, I dislike solicitors.

But I much prefer signs to those dumb sponge monuments Baerdog left all over the place.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I've started building on and island east of spawn, where there are acacia trees. Frankly I don't know what I'm going to do besides build a safe place to farm trees because all I really feel like doing is being a lumberjack.

If anyone else takes a liking to the same territory, they're welcome to do whatever they want, take whatever they want from my chests, just tell me where you want me to build my tree farm. Otherwise I'll just figure out what I'm doing as I go.

Shakey

Shakey

I added you @Bones[DOUBLEPOST=1387117553,1387117512][/DOUBLEPOST]@Dei, I am talking with the host. They list the plan as supporting 28 players, as you can tell, that's not quite as advertised. They say it's because of the 1.7 releases. They take up a lot more resources. I'll see what I can do. I did change it so the server will restart every 3 hours if no one is on.[DOUBLEPOST=1387117693][/DOUBLEPOST]
Toward the end of the old server, my husband had joined and was looking around at all that was built. Is it ok if he joins this server? He's just looking for a place to play where he isn't getting griefed all the time.
Anyone can join that you know. I just have the whitelist on to make sure only people we know won't grief have access. Just let me or @Eriol know their name.

Dave

Dave

Found a cool graphic to help with Brewing Potions.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Where is the spawn, exactly? I took a hike to drop off some supplies, but all I found is a front door and a wall, no building. Did it get blown up? Or is it at some other coordinate (since 0,64,0 appears to be in the middle of a lake)?

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

Where is the spawn, exactly? I took a hike to drop off some supplies, but all I found is a front door and a wall, no building. Did it get blown up? Or is it at some other coordinate (since 0,64,0 appears to be in the middle of a lake)?

--Patrick
The spawn should be at x:-69, y:65, z:229. I'm not sure where your coords are at!

I'm looking at some other options for hosting, so if you can bear with the lag for a little bit there will hopefully be relief. I'm hoping by the end of the week.

I'll also get an updated map out soon. I haven't been in to look around since friday, so it'll be interesting to see what progress people have made.

Dirona

Dirona

I'm not sure where spawn proper is, but the spawn hut is at x: -61, y: 67, x: 231.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ah. I took a hike to 0,x,0 assuming the spawn would be near, didn't know it wasn't at the origin.

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

@Shakey any chance you could include a render of a top-down view of the map?

Shakey

Shakey

@Shakey any chance you could include a render of a top-down view of the map?
Any ideas on a tool that does it? My map program only does isometric.

drifter

drifter

I don't know if it's the best option, but Minutor works.

Shakey

Shakey

Here's the latest isometric map: 12-15-2013 Map

I don't know if it's the best option, but Minutor works.
Works for me. Here you go. Overhead map

Eriol

Eriol

Who bridged the ocean to my north? That took some effort!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Who bridged the ocean to my north? That took some effort!
I REALLY wanted some doggies. :p

PatrThom

PatrThom

The one tool I usually use for everything is Cartograph G. It has many options, but is Windows-only. It's a little behind with block support, but because he made it extendable, some other folks have stepped up to fill in the gaps.

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

Semi-related: I recently learned that they make Minecraft figurines. I now have a Creeper standing guard by my monitor. :D

Shakey

Shakey

I'm noticing a few new building popping up! The map program drifter linked to me has the option to jump to peoples beds, so it should make finding out who each house belongs to a bit easier. I'm wondering if I can make an layer I can just add to my maps with markers for peoples houses. Or I could get leave those blank and set up one of those fancy mapping programs that works like google maps.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm noticing a few new building popping up! The map program drifter linked to me has the option to jump to peoples beds, so it should make finding out who each house belongs to a bit easier. I'm wondering if I can make an layer I can just add to my maps with markers for peoples houses. Or I could get leave those blank and set up one of those fancy mapping programs that works like google maps.
In the maps I make, I put an index mark at the spawn point (or wherever) and put the locations and annotations into a seperate layer in my editing program. That way, every time the map updates, I can load the annotation layer, line up the index mark, then expand the annotation layer to fit the current map size. It saves a lot of time and means I can alter it nondestructively.

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

In the maps I make, I put an index mark at the spawn point (or wherever) and put the locations and annotations into a seperate layer in my editing program. That way, every time the map updates, I can load the annotation layer, line up the index mark, then expand the annotation layer to fit the current map size. It saves a lot of time and means I can alter it nondestructively.

--Patrick
That's what I was hoping to do. It means I have to try to do fancy image editing stuff though. For some reason I always try to avoid that if at all possible.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Layers aren't that fancy. It's like having a transparency overlay that you can edit separately.
Ask @Zappit, he'll confirm that knowing how to use layers is an absolutely crucial part of image editing/creation.

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

Tectonicus has an option to show signs. If you ask players to label their builds, it would generate automatically.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Tectonicus is pretty easy to use. It just takes a lot of hard drive space, depending on how detailed you want to let the zoom get to (I used to not upload the two most zoomed-in levels of the map, they alone made up more than 75% of the space used).

And yes, it can show signs... but if people use a lot of signs, it can severely hamper the applet's performance, as our old ragnar map shows. Performance improves dramatically when the button for signs is clicked off.

Gared

Gared

There is also a small mushroom biome at around -920, 672. Or there was a couple days ago.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I had a really lucky find this evening. Not only did I find a zombie spawner, but in the chests were 3 music discs, golden horse armor, 3 saddles and assorted other goodies. I only have the vaguest ideas of what to do with any of this, so if anyone else wants it you can come to my place and pick it up. Its in a chest next to my furnaces. My island is this one:

Halforums Minecraft Pez's Island 2013_12_15.png

I'm still not sure what all I'm going to do with it. I've got a pen full of cows and chickens. An underground farm with wheat and pumpkins. A giant underground canyon below that I've only begun to explore. I want sheep, and carrots and other crops.

Eriol

Eriol

I grabbed the non-duplicate music discs. I had one of them already unfortunately. :( One I didn't have, so now my jukebox can play two!

I deposited a bunch of farming supplies as well. Carrots, potatoes, etc. Enjoy.

Also, let me know if you want me to pop a portal to your place. Give co-ordinates of "approximately" where you'd like your portal, and I'll spawn one from the Nether. If you make one first, that'll work, but it'll probably connect to Shakey's portal in a one-way fashion. That still works, and then we can connect from the Nether side as well if you'd like and you can have your portal "exactly" where you want it.

Dave

Dave

I love playing with you guys, but man is this lag bad. Shakey, dude, you have to talk to your server host. With only three or four on it's almost unplayable. And this is a 28 person server?!?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah, I know.
1 person = perfect
2 people = noticeable but playable
3 people = have to chop some blocks out twice
4 or more people = occasional hiccups, some blocks have to be chopped out 3 times

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

I love playing with you guys, but man is this lag bad. Shakey, dude, you have to talk to your server host. With only three or four on it's almost unplayable. And this is a 28 person server?!?
I'm planning on dropping the host. I have a server I'm going to host myself almost ready to go. I was hoping to get it online tonight, but Christmas programs took priority.

I've dropped the view distance down again, but it won't take effect until a restart. I'm still working with the host and trying to get suggestions, but I'm not too optimistic.

drifter

drifter

That reminds me, I noticed something peculiar while mining with enchanted pickaxes the other day: almost zero lag. There were several people on the server, and lag was interminable with a stone pickaxe . I decided to switch over to an Iron pickaxe enchanted with Unbreaking and Efficiency (can't remember the levels) and lag was dramatically decreased to an occasional hiccup. Presuming this is repeatable, could be helpful. At least until Shakey sets up his own server.

Eriol

Eriol

I've "secured" the jungle portal now. The run to it through the nether is unsafe, but well-marked (signs!), and the portal itself is surrounded by stone. And on the jungle side of things, I've erected a jungle tree-house around the portal, along with a map of the local area right by the door so you can get your bearings if needed. Remember you can climb up and down the vines on trees, as that's the only way to get to the doors of the tree-house. Please keep a look-out for cats, as there a number of people who want to domesticate them! I've explored "most" of the western part of the jungle, so explore east if you want to continue the search!

I've been decorating at home some as well. I spent so much time on the outside and such, I never made it a "good home" yet. It's getting there now, though the entranceway has gone to the dogs.

Shakey

Shakey

I've "secured" the jungle portal now. The run to it through the nether is unsafe, but well-marked (signs!), and the portal itself is surrounded by stone.
I did some work on it tonight. Damn that's a long ways away...

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm working on getting sheep of every color. So far I've got: Red, Orange, Yellow, Pink, Cactus Green, Black, Grey, Light Grey, White and Brown. Still missing quite a few. Mostly because I need to go mine some lapus lazuli.

Far

Far

I need some lapus lazuli as well to colour glass panes for my tower. It wasn't around when I last played. Is it at a certain depth?

Dei

Dei

I have a ton of lapis if anyone needs it.

Dave

Dave

I need some lapus lazuli as well to colour glass panes for my tower. It wasn't around when I last played. Is it at a certain depth?
I also have a ton of lapis if you need it. You should have said something last night. I'd have brought you some.

Shakey

Shakey

I updated the maps and list of players in my first post. 12-17-2013 Map.
Lots of new places taking shape! There's even a few that ventured out a ways from the spawn. I'll try to get an overly made soon so I can mark everyones home, but for now you get to play find the building.

Dave

Dave

Think I'll start building a highway to the North. Connect my place physically in the real world.

Of course, I'll be off the grid from Friday to Monday or more likely Tuesday.

Eriol

Eriol

Think I'll start building a highway to the North. Connect my place physically in the real world.
Sounds great.

I do have some questions for the room though:
  1. Who is South-south-east of Dei's place? It looks like a multi-story apartment building or something. Near the coast. Looks neat.
  2. Who has the circular "bunker" on top of a mountain east-north-east of the "sky cross" north-east of spawn?
I also want to reiterate that I will help connect anybody who wants to be to the nether travel network. All I need are the co-ordinates of where you want the portal on your property, and I can take care of the rest, or I can work with you to do it together. But if you don't want to be on the network, you don't have to be. It's a perk for convenience, not a requirement.

Dave

Dave

I have no idea who owns either one.

Shakey

Shakey

I think that's
1. @grub
2. @Far

I have my server up and running now. I'm going to load in last nights backup and maybe tonight I can get some people together to test it a bit.

Dave

Dave

Damn. Wish I was home and not at work. I'd love to help out before this weekend.

When you do get it figured out, put the other one off and I'll change the redirect for mc.halforums.com to the new one.

Far

Far

I think that's
1. @grub
2. @Far

I have my server up and running now. I'm going to load in last nights backup and maybe tonight I can get some people together to test it a bit.
That's correct for mine any way, though just the start of my plans.

Dave

Dave

That's correct for mine any way, though just the start of my plans.
Why did I hear that in my head with an evil laugh?

grub

grub

Mine is also correct, not sure what I am going to do. Initially I wanted a tower with a thick base but it looked weird and now i don't know when to stop.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yes. It's like gold, I believe.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

If you're looking for a specific type of ore, use this handy chart. I know it's from 1.3.2 but it hasn't changed that much from what I've been able to see.

Eriol

Eriol

And now you see why the "base" of my mining tunnel is at layer 10!

From the article on Lapis:
Lapis lazuli can be mined with a stone or better pickaxe. It is usually found at a depth of 31 and below. The highest concentration of lapis lazuli ore is found between levels 13 and 16.
So ya, i find lots of great stuff down there.

Also of note is that Emerald ore only spawns in extreme hills biome, so that's why it's zero on there, even though it DOES exist.

PatrThom

PatrThom

If I recall correctly, there are breakpoints (like never finding redstone above 16, for instance). Most of the "good stuff" doesn't start showing up until you get below Y=32, but be careful, because that's when you start hitting the giant pools of lava, too.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

When your Y coord is at 11 the lava almost never gets you. And by almost never I mean since I've halted at 11 I've NEVER had any get me. You put your Y at 11 and strip mine, which gives you the highest concentration of diamonds. Most lava pools sit at level 12 so no surprises.

Eriol

Eriol

Something's wrong. Mobs appear to be not spawning. This is a problem for getting certain resources. The difficulty is normal, and the mob spawn flag appears to be on, but I assure you, in the deep desert where there are no lights, there are also no mobs.

Please take a look at this Shakey.

Dave

Dave

Yeah, I was trying to farm ender pearls last night AND THERE WERE NO ENDERS TO KILL!

Purple eyed bastards are hiding from me!

grub

grub

There was one at my place last night.

Shakey

Shakey

I restarted the server and mobs seem to be spawning. I didn't check before, but it's working now.[DOUBLEPOST=1387404931,1387404337][/DOUBLEPOST]If anyone wants to help test out the new server tonight, send me a pm. I was thinking tonight at about 6 or 7 central time. I'd like one person in the jungle, one in the nether, and a couple mining. Another exploring new areas would be nice too.

Shakey

Shakey

It looks like someone is trying to build a taller tower than me next door to me! Map 12-18-2013
What mine lacks in height, it makes up for in girth though!

Eriol

Eriol

Pez is building something with sand/sandstone. Looks like most of the circle is up, so far.

I'm definitely going to look at how Dave's place has evolved, looks interesting.

Who's trying to replicate Kelethin over there by spawn?

figmentPez

figmentPez

Pez is building something with sand/sandstone. Looks like most of the circle is up, so far.
Something is the best I can call it. I'm mostly just walling off some space to work in. I'll see where it goes from there.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I now have sheep in every color. This makes me happy.

Shakey

Shakey

I have donkeys!
I finally got around to making my nether portal accessible by horses and donkeys this morning. Also I finally finished the safe tunnel through the nether to the jungle portal. So if anyone feels like making a grand expedition there, you can now safely drag some donkeys or horses along for extra storage. It's not as purty as the tunnels @Eriol makes, but it gets the job done.

Shakey

Shakey

Is that a mushroom island I see? 12-19-2013 Map
Yep. You can get there through the nether now. It's a bit treacherous, hopefully we'll be able to build a tunnel to that too. I want one of those cows!

Eriol

Eriol

I look forward to seeing the modified Nether Tunnel to the jungle. I guess I "pioneer" a route, and you make it super-safe? Works for me.

I'll take the portal to mushroom island out of the depths soon. It popped at layer 17 or something (REALLY deep) but moving it to the surface shouldn't be too hard. Good luck at a "safe" path man. The Nether Fortresses I used to go there made it a LOT shorter to dig/build.

New resources in the Spawn Hut thanks to my Silk Touch shovel! Go now for Mycelium and Grass blocks! Mycelium is the only way to make giant mushrooms now (no you can't just bonemeal a mushroom on stone) and you don't need to "spread" grass blocks up, you can just plant one of these and you instantly have grass wherever you need it!

As for the new map, somebody took an epic "loop" east of Pez's island. Some new map generation there with a hole in the middle!

Shakey

Shakey

I look forward to seeing the modified Nether Tunnel to the jungle. I guess I "pioneer" a route, and you make it super-safe? Works for me.

I'll take the portal to mushroom island out of the depths soon. It popped at layer 17 or something (REALLY deep) but moving it to the surface shouldn't be too hard. Good luck at a "safe" path man. The Nether Fortresses I used to go there made it a LOT shorter to dig/build.
I think I can zig zag my way there. I don't hink I want to try to bridge it almost the whole way like I did going to the jungle. That was not all that fun.

As for the new map, somebody took an epic "loop" east of Pez's island. Some new map generation there with a hole in the middle!
I saw that. I don't know if someone built out there, or if it's a natural swamp hut that's out there.

figmentPez

figmentPez

That was me. I was looking for wolves to adopt. Found a swamp with a witch's hut. I'll be going back there to look for slimes later.

Also found an extreme hills biome. Might go back there to build a mine.

grub

grub

still haven't found wolves, haven't seen any hostiles for a while, ran out of bones making bonemeal

Eriol

Eriol

Also found an extreme hills biome. Might go back there to build a mine.
Considering that the only thing in extreme hills that's not anywhere else is emeralds, I'd say just trade wheat or wool with villagers for emeralds. A lot more available that way than via mining IMO.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Almost forgot, I found a spider spawner dungeon at
x: 1740
y: 57
z: 1093

I didn't take anything out of the chests, but it wasn't very interesting. A music disc (I don't remember which one), some string, some iron and maybe something else inconsequential.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Considering how I just couldn't get rid of slimes in my old server, I'm surprised we haven't run into any yet.

--Patrick

grub

grub

i've hit a few slimes in the dungeon east of me

Shakey

Shakey

still haven't found wolves, haven't seen any hostiles for a while, ran out of bones making bonemeal
Is that still a big problem? Mobs spawning that is.

grub

grub

Maybe, I spent 2 nights wrangling cows and saw no hostiles. Made it easier but probably not right.

Gared

Gared

It seems to come and go. There've been a few mob-free nights, but I did see four zombies and a skeleton a few hours back.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

If you look on the map, you'll see a bridge spanning the ocean to the north. Cross it and hug the western coastline until you reach the gigantic forest further north of there. That's where I found my wolves.

Dei

Dei

I get frustrated too easily by lag so I'm basically waiting for the server move at this point. <3

PatrThom

PatrThom

There is a posted bug (#2536) which says that dialing down the render distance too far will also impact the number of mobs that spawn (presumably since hostile mobs will only spawn beyond a certain radius from a player).
Increasing the render distance a bit may help (I think I have it at 8 on my server).

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

There is a posted bug (#2536) which says that dialing down the render distance too far will also impact the number of mobs that spawn (presumably since hostile mobs will only spawn beyond a certain radius from a player).
Increasing the render distance a bit may help (I think I have it at 8 on my server).

--Patrick
Huh. I was wondering if that's what it was. It's at 7 now. I'll bump it up to 8 again.

I get frustrated too easily by lag so I'm basically waiting for the server move at this point. <3
I think it's all ready to go. Maybe early next week I'll bring it live.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Considering that the only thing in extreme hills that's not anywhere else is emeralds, I'd say just trade wheat or wool with villagers for emeralds. A lot more available that way than via mining IMO.
Do we have villagers anywhere?

Shakey

Shakey

Do we have villagers anywhere?
I think south west of spawn in the desert is a little town. Maybe a good project would be a housing complex near spawn.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yes there are villagers nearby. Also I have been attacked by zombie villagers on multiple occasions (if someone wants to whip up the means to cure them).

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

I really wanted a mushroom cow... Should be a safe nether passage to the mushroom island. There is a small section at the end that is open, but that's it.

Moooooo.

I may have been playing for too long tonight.

Mooooooo.

Eriol

Eriol

I think south west of spawn in the desert is a little town. Maybe a good project would be a housing complex near spawn.
*snicker*

You guys really need to start inspecting the maps better. Hint: start by looking for a nether portal 'cause I'm lazy, but not willing to cheat teleporting.

drifter

drifter

Aussietizzers is going to breed mooshrooms and is planning on leaving some by spawn, if anyone wants some.

Shakey

Shakey

Aussietizzers is going to breed mooshrooms and is planning on leaving some by spawn, if anyone wants some.
Hopefully he found the way! I don't think I marked the reroute I did.

Shakey

Shakey

*snicker*

You guys really need to start inspecting the maps better. Hint: start by looking for a nether portal 'cause I'm lazy, but not willing to cheat teleporting.
I figured someone had done it already!

Eriol

Eriol

Shakey, you are certifiably insane. That new route... holy crap. In particular the "skyway" of netherrack that's diagonally up across the lava from the portal is just beyond nuts. I don't want to think of the quantity of materials you went through, both mining and construction.

Shakey

Shakey

Shakey, you are certifiably insane. That new route... holy crap. In particular the "skyway" of netherrack that's diagonally up across the lava from the portal is just beyond nuts. I don't want to think of the quantity of materials you went through, both mining and construction.
I didn't use very much on this route other than picks. I didn't keep track, but I'm pretty sure I used more than 20 of them. The hardest was finding a good route. I actually got 28 levels just from mining it all out. Got a good amount of quartz too.

The jungle route had one hell of a bridge where I had to turn up the speakers to make sure I could hear ghasts if they showed up.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

He says he found them and put some near spawn. They have their own pen. There should be bowls for mushroom soup, too.

PatrThom

PatrThom

My buddy and I built a cobblestone bridge 3 spaces above a huuuuge lava lake in the server. It started on Skype, tracking our coordinates until we were juuuust a block apart and directly across from one another. Then we started backing a double-wide swath of cobblestone from our respective sides that was more than 64 blocks long (know it was more than one stack, less than two), all the while watching out for ghasts so we didn't get blasted off the bridge and into the lava below. We passed each other headed in opposite directions as planned and then went back and put up the roof. It was some of the tensest, most rewarding time we spend in that server.

--Patrick

Bones

Bones

does anyone want me to drop redstone dust off at spawn chest? I only need a couple stacks since I have no idea how to use it other then making lamps.

drifter

drifter

Anyone have any objection to me laying half-slabs all over the nether? I'm considering making a wither skeleton farm.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Do wither skeletons like half slabs?
Or are you just trying to "guide" them?

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

To prevent other mobs from spawning, except in a given location free of half slabs.

PatrThom

PatrThom

To prevent other mobs from spawning, except in a given location free of half slabs.
"guide" them?
Yup. That's what I thought.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Man, I've wanted to play all day but am here.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

fade

fade

Can you whitelist thewalkingnoobs?

That's my son's username, but I might use it to play a little.

Shakey

Shakey

Can you whitelist thewalkingnoobs?

That's my son's username, but I might use it to play a little.
You should be set.

I've been a bit busy the last few days, so I haven't had much time to play. I see that isn't the case for everyone! 12-22-13 Map

LordRendar

LordRendar

Can you guys whitelist me? Name is LordRendar

Eriol

Eriol

I've been a bit busy the last few days, so I haven't had much time to play. I see that isn't the case for everyone! 12-22-13 Map
First of all: woot hon! You are breaking the renderer! Nice! (Look due-west of my place, across the ocean for "blurryness" on the map) It's mostly stained-glass, so I think the mapper is having problems! I HIGHLY recommend people go out and see it though in-person.
Second, do you think we can get a labelled version of this now? I'm wondering who's doing what, where

Third: Holy crap sky platform! Is that Drifter, or who? And it's damned impressive. If he wanted something to show up, it definitely is!

Fourth: I climbed to the top of Far's tower. The top of that thing makes the sky platform look not so huge. Really. That in itself is scary.

Far

Far

Could we add awesomepossum69 to the whitelist? He's a friend of mine from work and is a much better guy than his screen name implies...

Eriol

Eriol

Added LordRendar and awesomepossum69. I hope they enjoy themselves.

Far

Far

Fourth: I climbed to the top of Far's tower. The top of that thing makes the sky platform look not so huge. Really. That in itself is scary.
At present it's 20 floors, each floor 6 blocks high.
towerbable.png

I know what my end game is with it but with how long this has taken, shudder to imagine how long the rest will.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I love how all the chests have turned into presents for Christmas. Small chests are red, big chests are green. It's fantastic.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Hope nobody minds me claiming the area NW of Far`s tower. The mountainrange with the waterfall.

Shakey

Shakey

First of all: woot hon! You are breaking the renderer! Nice! (Look due-west of my place, across the ocean for "blurryness" on the map) It's mostly stained-glass, so I think the mapper is having problems! I HIGHLY recommend people go out and see it though in-person.
Second, do you think we can get a labelled version of this now? I'm wondering who's doing what, where
I noticed that too. It's killing me that I don't have time right now to hop in and play! I also really want to check out what @Gared is up to. I like his castle built into the mountain.

Eriol

Eriol

Hope nobody minds me claiming the area NW of Far`s tower. The mountainrange with the waterfall.
NW of his tower is ocean. Do you mean NE? Either way, I think Far would be the one to talk to. I think the only "land rights" negotiation here is with your neighbors.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Whoops. I mean NE. it is just across the channel. The continent seems to be uninhabitated.

Far

Far

Go for it. I think that was the cliff I was talking about yesterday when I mentioned some open space left. My only claim to the area was I saw it long after I had started building and realized it fit my plans much better than my current spot.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Do we have a current tagged image?
(if not I might make one)

--Patrick

Eriol

Eriol

Do we have a current tagged image?
(if not I might make one)
Go for it man. I can't keep stuff straight anymore.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If you start making maps with Tectonicus, it will de facto tag places by showing player locations, and their beds. Also the detail will be better with zooming, and you won't have to choke your computer's image viewer on a 50 huge PNG every time. And it really isn't any more difficult than using cartograph or mcmap or any of the other isometric mappers. Its only drawback is it needs actual hosting, but if push comes to shove I can provide that myself.

Tectonicus_v2.19.zip

Shakey

Shakey

So, @Eriol had a good idea that since cats are non existent we should spawn some for people. I figured it might make a nice gift from santa, so we flew around and dropped a chest by everyones bed and put a couple ocelot eggs in it. I figured it was also a nice thank you for sticking around with server issues. We'll hopefully get the new one up soon. Just waiting for a time when it's not so crazy.

Remember! These are untamed, so you need to be in an enclosed space when you use the eggs with some raw fish to tame them. If you don't they will bolt and you'll be out of luck.[DOUBLEPOST=1387904386,1387904291][/DOUBLEPOST]If you didn't get one, or haven't made a bed yet you might not have gotten one. If that's the case, let either of us know and we'll get them to you.
I wasn't sure where your bed was @PatrThom, so I put it in your underground thingy.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I have a bed, but I haven't slept in it yet because I'm never the only person on at night to be able to properly use it.

Hey @GasBandit, I assume tectonicus has to be hosted on the same server as the server?
(reads a bit)
Ah, it doesn't actually update in realtime, just at scheduled intervals. Still, this looks like it would be a great addition to my server and save me a lot of mapping headache, hmm...

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

Yeah, I'm definitely wanting to get something like that set up. We're getting quite a few people now. I just don't have a ton of free time to play with that stuff right now, and I want to get switched to the new server before I start anything else.

Eriol

Eriol

Patrick, you only need to sleep in it until it goes "fully faded" and then your spawn is set, even if you're not the only one on to "truly" sleep in it.

And Shakey, you need more practice with Creative Mode. You gave everybody Trapped Chests! That's why they're not presents! Don't worry about opening them everybody. All Trapped Chests do is send a redstone signal when opened, nothing else bad.

As for taming the ocelots, read up: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Ocelot#Taming Most notably, have them out in the open. If they're in a smaller than 7x7 area, they will NOT be tamable. So a big pen can work.

Merry Christmas!

Shakey

Shakey

Hah! Ooops. I was kinda rushing through it. I may be at work right now, but wanted to get them out to people. :oops:

Also, I'm not sure what you are doing in your basement @drifter, but I got the hell out of there quick...[DOUBLEPOST=1387906591,1387906475][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and to add to my idiot moments today, I teleported myself under the world and killed myself... Lost everything I had with me! Live and learn I guess. Never teleport to 0 y coord.

drifter

drifter

Welshman's Delight :unibrow:

GasBandit

GasBandit

I have a bed, but I haven't slept in it yet because I'm never the only person on at night to be able to properly use it.

Hey @GasBandit, I assume tectonicus has to be hosted on the same server as the server?
(reads a bit)
Ah, it doesn't actually update in realtime, just at scheduled intervals. Still, this looks like it would be a great addition to my server and save me a lot of mapping headache, hmm...

--Patrick
When I was running it, I had to download the map file backup from our game server, run tectonicus on it, then upload the tectonicus output folder to my own web hosting. And even doing that wasn't difficult, just time consuming. If everything is on the same physical box it just gets easier.

Dave

Dave

You get me the file extension and I'll set it up so we can host it here. Just delete the old file & upload the new into the first post and it'll always be updated.

drifter

drifter

Third: Holy crap sky platform! Is that Drifter, or who?
Yep, that's me. There's still a ton more I have planned; this is the build that will end me, I can feel it. :1

David

David

Can you please whitelist dave_terry?

figmentPez

figmentPez

What does Notch have against cats?

PatrThom

PatrThom

They scare creepers?

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Holy crow! Fishing is awesome now!

I got a fishing rod that is enchanted with Lure II (fish bite faster), Unbreaking III, and Luck of the Sea II (gives you better stuff for your cast)! And then I got puffer fish. I put them in my chest and forgot about them. Until I read the wiki.

When you make potions, you can use puffer fish as an ingredient. It goes like this:

1 Nether Wart + 3 Water Bottles = 3 Awkward Potions
1 Puffer fish + 3 Awkward Potions = 3 Potions of Water Breathing (3:00)
1 Redstone + 3 Potions of Water Breathing (3:00) = 3 Potions of Water Breathing (8:00)!

So 1 Puffer fish = 24 minutes of water breathing!

Hot damn! Time to go snorkling!

figmentPez

figmentPez

What I mean is, Ocelots...
- are much rarer than wolves are
- are treated as hostile mobs and can despawn
- domesticated cats can't be healed by feeding them

Just let me have my pet kitties.

Dave

Dave

By the way, I have a brewing stand set up, lots of water bottles, and ingredients galore. If you want to come brew potions, just take what you need.

figmentPez

figmentPez

By the way, I have a brewing stand set up, lots of water bottles, and ingredients galore. If you want to come brew potions, just take what you need.
I will take you up on this offer at some point. Where are you located?

Dave

Dave

10,1518. Or if you make it to anyone's area that has a portal, I'm on the network.

Gared

Gared

Hey Eriol, can you hook my house up to the Nethernet? The coords at my front door are -1218, 320. Getting there from spawn is a real pain in the arse. There's a portal at the end of the red carpet pathway, I just haven't lit it up. Also, if one of you could drop off an ocelot egg, that would be awesome.

Eriol

Eriol

Hey Eriol, can you hook my house up to the Nethernet? The coords at my front door are -1218, 320. Getting there from spawn is a real pain in the arse. There's a portal at the end of the red carpet pathway, I just haven't lit it up. Also, if one of you could drop off an ocelot egg, that would be awesome.
I'd love to man, but going to bed and going to be out of town for two weeks after. So you're going to have to get somebody else to do so. Sorry. I appreciate how it's a major PITA being that far though.

Just to help though, in the Nether itself, you should try and build at X= -152 and Z=40, which "should" be in the mass of netherrack west of my portal. Somewhere. Sorry I can't help more.

Shawn

Shawn

If I wanted to join the server what would I need to do?

Gared

Gared

I'd love to man, but going to bed and going to be out of town for two weeks after. So you're going to have to get somebody else to do so. Sorry. I appreciate how it's a major PITA being that far though.

Just to help though, in the Nether itself, you should try and build at X= -152 and Z=40, which "should" be in the mass of netherrack west of my portal. Somewhere. Sorry I can't help more.
Alright, figuring that out should give me something to do tomorr... er, later today. The journey to and from spawn is much easier now though. There's a powered minecart tunnel entrance just southeast of the giant stained glass panorama that leads to the western continent.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Can someone gift me some carrots? I need to tame me some sheep.

Shakey

Shakey

Alright, figuring that out should give me something to do tomorr... er, later today. The journey to and from spawn is much easier now though. There's a powered minecart tunnel entrance just southeast of the giant stained glass panorama that leads to the western continent.
I might be on Thursday, and could give you a hand then if you don't get to it before then. Hopefully my schedule will clear up a bit in a day or two.

Shakey

Shakey

If I wanted to join the server what would I need to do?
Just either post or pm me your minecraft name, and I'll add you to the whitelist.

Dei

Dei

LordRendar said:
Can someone gift me some carrots? I need to tame me some sheep.
Wheat for sheep. Carrots are for pigs.

PatrThom

PatrThom

And seeds for chickens.
(finally figured out why I couldn't breed chickens, had been trying to feed them wheat)

--Patrick

LordRendar

LordRendar

Am binging on Minecraft right now. Hopefully by end of the break I will have finished building my Japanese themed town and will have made a bridge towards spawn.

Shakey

Shakey

Can you please whitelist dave_terry?
All set!

Shakey

Shakey

You're mostly set up. I made some stairs going down, which when you leave it, has to the right a portal that sends you to a desert village. To the left and up a bit is the entrance to Eriols portal and the rest of the network. I'll try to get a safe tunnel built to it soon. Right now you have to do a little running though.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've always loved how minecraft has made us so blase about creating dimensional rifts into a literal hell of fire and brimstone to be used as a mundane fast transit system.

LordRendar

LordRendar

Can anyone put a Portal in front of my base?

Dave

Dave

By the way, @LordRendar, you are not under a Stronghold. Turns out silverfish can now be found in extreme hills. My bad!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

By the way, @LordRendar, you are not under a Stronghold. Turns out silverfish can now be found in extreme hills. My bad!
Must be why I keep finding those little buggers! :mad:

LordRendar

LordRendar

No problem. Might be better. Since I plan on hollowing out this whole mountain.

figmentPez

figmentPez

There's stuff I have a ton of extra. What would be worthwhile to others for me to put in a chest at spawn:
- Food (of all sorts)
- Leather
- Feathers
- Wool
- Smooth Stone
- Wood
- Bows
- String

Let me know if any of this is appealing.

Dave

Dave

You might want to save the feathers to make arrows.

figmentPez

figmentPez

You might want to save the feathers to make arrows.
I've got about 7 stacks of feathers right now, and 3 stacks of arrows already. I've got feathers coming in far faster than arrows are going out. If anything it's flint I'm short on (and I know I can repeatedly place and mine gravel to get more).[DOUBLEPOST=1388094015,1388093933][/DOUBLEPOST]Which reminds me, I have a lot of enchanted books, but they're mostly piddling stuff.

Shakey

Shakey

You're mostly set up. I made some stairs going down, which when you leave it, has to the right a portal that sends you to a desert village. To the left and up a bit is the entrance to Eriols portal and the rest of the network. I'll try to get a safe tunnel built to it soon. Right now you have to do a little running though.
Scratch all that. A tunnel is just about done. It just needs a roof now.[DOUBLEPOST=1388094145,1388094079][/DOUBLEPOST]
There's stuff I have a ton of extra. What would be worthwhile to others for me to put in a chest at spawn:
- Food (of all sorts)
- Leather
- Feathers
- Wool
- Smooth Stone
- Wood
- Bows
- String

Let me know if any of this is appealing.
I could use smooth stone to finish off the tunnel I'm making.

drifter

drifter

Scratch all that. A tunnel is just about done. It just needs a roof now.[DOUBLEPOST=1388094145,1388094079][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've got about a third of a full chest of smooth stone in one of my chests near the stairway to my branch mine. Feel free to take what you need, should you need more than what figmentPez has.

Shakey

Shakey

We're going to try to switch over to the new server tomorrow. At about noon central, I will take the old server down. I then need to do a grab all the files and restore them to the new server. After that, if you are using the mc.halforums address, you will need to take the port number off from the end of your server address! If you are still using the full ip address, you will need to change it to just mc.halforums.com.

I'll send a pm to everyone tonight or tomorrow morning making sure they update their server address too.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I have an entire double chest full. I'll transfer at least half that to a chest at spawn as soon as I can. If you want to grab it directly from my place, you're welcome.

PatrThom

PatrThom

you will need to take the port number off from the end of your server address
Are you just going back to the default port of 25565, then?

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

I wonder if I'm going to have a chance to play while I'm on vacation. My nephew is a Minecraft fiend and has dominated the family computer :p

Gared

Gared

Thanks for the portal setup @Shakey, you rock.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I have an entire double chest full. I'll transfer at least half that to a chest at spawn as soon as I can. If you want to grab it directly from my place, you're welcome.
As promised, I moved a lot of stone to a chest at spawn.

I got my nether portal built, but I forgot to note it's coordinates before leaving the game. I built it in a room near the top of the hill north of my home. I'll get the exact location later, so that it can be added to the network.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The room with my nether portal is located at
x: 755
z: 391
y: 88

Shakey

Shakey

As promised, I moved a lot of stone to a chest at spawn.

I got my nether portal built, but I forgot to note it's coordinates before leaving the game. I built it in a room near the top of the hill north of my home. I'll get the exact location later, so that it can be added to the network.
Thanks! I was able to finish my tunnel to @Gared with that. Also got your portal up. Finally an easy one!

I'll need to get working on updating all the signs with all these new portals. If you can, please add a sign outside your portal room to let us know who you are.

Shakey

Shakey

Are you just going back to the default port of 25565, then?

--Patrick
Yeah, I figured it would be easier that way.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Fair warning. I finally pulled the hard drives from my now-dead computer to extract my old world files so I can set up my former MC server with our older world (we restarted when 1.3.2 came out with its new map generator) in case anyone was curious to explore and/or test my MC server optimization settings. I wasn't able to generate a map before I had to leave for work today, so for now it's just signs and good ol' exploration to get you around. It's a 1.5GB world file, so it's pretty big and there is plenty of stuff to explore. I'll generate a map once I get home tonight if only so I can label the points of interest. The 4 of us (Patrick/Kati/Harry/Nathan) were playing this world for a couple years, so there is plenty to see and do.

This world is NOT currently protected by a whitelist! This means two things. First, I'm not going to publicly list the IP address to cut down on griefing (just PM me or possibly check Shakey's thread for the IP if he's ok with it). Second, to make sure disruption is kept to a minimum, I'll be rolling back the world every night to undo any creeper incidents, inadvertent griefing, or the like.

If you DO run around it, let me know how it works for you. I haven't really had the opportunity to do any sort of load testing since we didn't have more than 4 people playing it, and I'd like to know how it looks from outside.

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

Our new server is up and running now too. Make sure to change the address of the server, and if you have any problems let me know.

Shakey

Shakey

It seems to be running pretty good. We'll know more when we got more than 3 people on. So far there are a LOT more mobs spawning. It's on the same difficulty level, so I don't know what the deal was with the old server. You definitely want to watch your back now.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It seems to be running pretty good. We'll know more when we got more than 3 people on. So far there are a LOT more mobs spawning. It's on the same difficulty level, so I don't know what the deal was with the old server. You definitely want to watch your back now.
The old server was on shared hosting, probably one of at least a dozen minecraft servers on the same hardware. This computer only has the one to think about.

Incidentally, please whitelist GasBandit. Maybe I'll pop on one of these nights.

Shakey

Shakey

The old server was on shared hosting, probably one of at least a dozen minecraft servers on the same hardware. This computer only has the one to think about.

Incidentally, please whitelist GasBandit. Maybe I'll pop on one of these nights.
Yeah. Having the nice interface to manage it was cool, but the performance sucked.

You're all set.

figmentPez

figmentPez

@Dave found a village at -297, 1102

Dave

Dave

Locked all 7 villagers up using cobblestone until I can build a wall. I'm going to safeguard this bitch and add some iron golems to brighten their day. Then I'm going to build a shitload of doors so that they breed more villagers.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I put at least one stack of each color of wool in a chest at spawn. Along with some other goodies, like a bunch of slime balls, and I don't remember what else.

Much thanks to whoever put me on the Nether network. That's made getting around a breeze. I threw up some signs marking my place if anyone wants to come visit. My place isn't very pretty, but I've got lots of supplies that people are welcome to take.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Apparently, @figmentPez is AussieTizzer's soup kitchen. LOL

figmentPez

figmentPez

Apparently, @figmentPez is AussieTizzer's soup kitchen. LOL
I'm pretty sure I could feed the entire server.

LordRendar

LordRendar

I have to apologize to the person that lives connected to Daves place via rail.
A creeper snuck up on me while I was standing near the portal and blew up. You probably have a large crater there. Had to run through the portal since skellys where peppering me with arrows and I didnt want to lose my entchanted pickaxe.

Dave

Dave

The village is completely enclosed now. All 7 villagers have been released from prison and are running free, guarded by the 5 iron golems I made. I also added about 8 doors to promote more villagers being spawned. Now, these doors don't look like much but they do count towards the total for village population.

Thanks to Aussietizzers for starting the wall! I had already set up an ender chest with materials so I could do it with smooth stone. Which I've done. By the way, right now there's no way in or out. I'll be building in that in a bit here when I get some other things taken care of. I'd really like to get this on the Nether network, so I'll be working on that as well.[DOUBLEPOST=1388253414,1388253082][/DOUBLEPOST]Update: A new villager spawned and immediately ran to the second level of the tower. News flash! He's a priest! Hell yeah!

I've added chickens. Well, A chicken. I used 32 eggs and got only 1 chicken. Figures.

Dave

Dave

Village is now connected to the Nether Network. The entrance is right by mine and my God was it a pain to put up! I've never seen so many ghasts at once!

Oh, and don't stand on the bridge and flip the switch. You'll get very warm.

figmentPez

figmentPez

For those that haven't visited the village, I'm going to try to list all the current villagers and their trades. I might miss a few, they're hard to keep track of, except for the Priest.

Priest:
1 Em -> 2 Redstone
1 Iron Chestplate + 2 Em -> 1 Iron Chestplate w/ Projectile Protection IV
1 Diamond Sword + 2 Em -> 1 Diamonds Sword w/ Bane of Arthropods I

Villager (Blacksmith?):
9 Em -> 1 Diamond Axe
6 Em -> 1 Iron Axe
10 Em -> 1 Diamond Pickaxe
(I've bought this last one, dunno if he'll unlock more if it's bought again.)

Villager A
1 Em -> 6 Cooked Porkchops
16 Coal -> 1 Em
1 Em -> 7 Steak
3 Em -> Leather Boots
6 Em -> Saddle
15 Raw Beef -> 1 Em
2 Em -> Leather Cap

Villager B
1 Em -> 10 Arrows
20 Wheat -> 1Em
10 Cooked Fish -> 1 Em
1 Em -> 7 Cooked Chicken
1 Em -> 6 Apple

Villager C
16 Raw Chicken -> 1 Em
3 Em -> Shears
10 Gravel + 1 Em -> 5 Flint (what a lousy deal!)
14 Wool -> 1 Em
1 Em -> 7 Cooked Chicken
1 Em -> 6 Apple
1 Em -> 4 Bread
3 Em - Flint & Steel

Villager D
1 Em -> 8 Cooked Chicken
1 Em -> 10 Arrows
1 Em -> 6 Melon
21 Wheat -> 1 Em
16 Raw Chicken -> 1 Em
9 Cooked Fish -> 1 Em
3 Em - Shears

That's all I can find for right now.

Dave

Dave

There should be one more.

PatrThom

PatrThom

So I've gone and made a simple overhead 2D map (which is apparently too big to embed at 10304x9200, so I have linked a GIF of it from Dropbox)

...but the idea of a hosted, browseable 3D map made with Tectonicus is intriguing, however I just don't seem to be able to get it to render. Even with 1.5GB RAM dedicated to the Java VM, it still hangs once it starts the render process. I'm going to have to dig into the XML config syntax, that's for certain. Of course, any help would be appreciated, say, from someone who may have used it before?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

So I've gone and made a simple overhead 2D map (which is apparently too big to embed at 10304x9200, so I have linked a GIF of it from Dropbox)

...but the idea of a hosted, browseable 3D map made with Tectonicus is intriguing, however I just don't seem to be able to get it to render. Even with 1.5GB RAM dedicated to the Java VM, it still hangs once it starts the render process. I'm going to have to dig into the XML config syntax, that's for certain. Of course, any help would be appreciated, say, from someone who may have used it before?

--Patrick
I dunno what to tell you. I ran it, and it just worked. Granted it took 20 minutes, but there was no issue.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah, but which version? And how did you invoke it?

EDIT: Yeah. Apparently, running it in GUI mode is ... not well supported. If you're going to try and run it, you'll probably want to go the XML/CLI route.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Priest in the village now also gives enchantment of efficiency I...to an iron axe. Yay. After that, though...give him 8 emeralds and he'll give you an EYE of MOTHER-FUCKING ENDER!

PatrThom

PatrThom

running it in GUI mode is ... not well supported.
Also, trying to allocate a full 2GB of RAM for Java...doesn't work so well under XP. Tectonicus might be the app that finally forces me to break the shrinkwrap on my copy of Win7Pro 64-bit, just so I can finally use all the 8GB RAM I have installed in this computer.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't remember, on both counts. But word on the street says:

java - jar C:\Tectonicus.jar numSamples=0"minecraftJar=C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin\minecraft.jar""worldDir=C:\YOURWORLDFOLDERHERE""outputDir=C:\WHEREYOUWANTIT"

^^^ ALL ONE LINE ^^^

For the record, I was using Tectonicus under XP as well.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yah. The newest version comes with some example config XML files, which I am experimenting with. I have a render going right now (supposedly...it hasn't stopped at over 42000 chunks found, at least). A default invocation of the Java VM will only allocate 512M, I think. I wanted it to have a full 1.5 or 2GB, but Task Manager says it is only using 497M so that might need some tuning. Further bulletins as events warrant.

EDIT: We've passed 107k chunks and still no signs of stopping. I think I'll leave it running and check back in the AM to see if it has finished.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

There should be one more.
There are a lot more now. The villagers have finally begun breeding. Three new adults have grown up, and there are at least 2 more kids running around. Took quite a while for two villagers to finally have their amorous moods in sync, but once it started, it just kept going.

Some of the new deals include crappy enchantments on iron tools, trading emeralds for glowstone (make sure to get the trade that's 1 Em -> 3 Glowstone, because only getting 2 Glowstone means you're a chump.)

figmentPez

figmentPez

I played way too much Minecraft today. My biggest adventure came on my way home from my first visit to the village. This was before it was on the Netherwork, so I was hoofing it back to Dave's place. It was night and I'd just fought off some mobs, when I took a long fall down a ravine. It was really an "oh shit" moment as the ground rushed up to me. In my possession was a lot of high quality stuff, including my amazing diamond sword (Looting 3, Smite 4, Unbreaking 3, Fire Aspect 2), enchanted armor, and lots of other stuff. Thankfully I have a good sense of direction, and my pet wolf was still in the area. I managed a successful corpse run, and recovered all my gear.

Most of my time after that was spent making deals with villagers, and hunting monsters because it's fun.

I now have a very snazzy pair of checkered pants:
2013_12_29 Minecraft _ Pez's Snazzy New Pants.jpg

They dropped off of something I killed, probably a zombie. I also got a potion of healing drop off a witch, and a leather cap enchanted with Respiration I drop from a zombie (which will grant me 15 extra seconds underwater, plus better vision).

Oh, Dave, I got a book enchanted with Fortune 1. I know it's not the Fortune 3 you're hoping for, but you're welcome to it. You can stop by my place and grab it, or let me know and I'll deliver it wherever.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'll leave it running and check back in the AM to see if it has finished.
Nope. Out of memory error again once it starts trying to render the tiles. Let's see how big I can make the memory.

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

Nope. Out of memory error again once it starts trying to render the tiles. Let's see how big I can make the memory.

--Patrick
I tried it once this morning and was getting out of memory errors too. Haven't had time to play it though.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Sorry, @Shakey. I meant that my attempt to generate a Tectonicus map of my server keeps running out of memory, not that playing your server was giving me any trouble.
If I figure out how to reliably generate maps with it, I'll let you know, of course. Even with the max heap size of 1600M, it still runs out of memory (on WinXP-32). This might mean diving back into the world of Java optimization switches (or else it will mean just installing Win7-64 so I can throw 6GB of RAM at it and be done).

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

Sorry, @Shakey. I meant that my attempt to generate a Tectonicus map of my server keeps running out of memory, not that playing your server was giving me any trouble.
If I figure out how to reliably generate maps with it, I'll let you know, of course. Even with the max heap size of 1600M, it still runs out of memory (on WinXP-32). This might mean diving back into the world of Java optimization switches (or else it will mean just installing Win7-64 so I can throw 6GB of RAM at it and be done).

--Patrick
That's what I meant too. I tried to generate a map of my server too and got the same message.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hmm. Dunno who linked Grub's place with rail (@Dave, maybe?), but you tunneled right through my mountain to do so.
I will try to integrate it into my plans, but still...can we try not to disrupt it too much more? I'm trying to keep most of my stuff "natural" in appearance, but that's hard to do when people keep assuming that because it looks untouched then nobody must be living there.

terra.gif

--Patrick

grub

grub

I haven't been near my PC for a few days so I hope my place is relatively unscathed.

Dave

Dave

Hmm. Dunno who linked Grub's place with rail (@Dave, maybe?), but you tunneled right through my mountain to do so.
I will try to integrate it into my plans, but still...can we try not to disrupt it too much more? I'm trying to keep most of my stuff "natural" in appearance, but that's hard to do when people keep assuming that because it looks untouched then nobody must be living there.

View attachment 13497

--Patrick
I feel terrible burrowing through your secret base nobody knew was there! Seriously. There were tears. :p

I have no further plans to disrupt your place, man. Wouldn't have done it in the first place if it hadn't looked so natural and uninhabited.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's ok. It gave me some more ideas, and it also will put me into a higher gear for getting more done so people will know I'm there.
If only time weren't persistently my worst enemy.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

Short list of things that can be traded for emeralds with villagers:
- Wool (any color, but any one trade must be a stack of a single color)
- Raw Beef
- Raw Pork
- Raw Chicken
- Cooked Fish*
- Wheat
- Paper
- Books
- Coal or Charcoal
- Gold

Theoretically that list could expand to diamonds (Ha!), iron, a written book

*This one is especially important, since it's the last trade for a certain villager

Short list of cool items that can currently be bought with emeralds from villagers:
- Glowstone
- Bottles o' enchantment (experience in a can)
- Chain mail helmets (not really useful, but unusual since they can't be crafted)
- Eyes of Ender (can be used to make Ender Chests)

Crap trades that aren't worth the emeralds:
- Diamond Hoe (seriously, who needs a diamond hoe?)
- Compass
- Clock
- Bookcases
- Assorted lame enchantments
- Food
- Leather goods
The exception to all of these is if they're the last trade on a list. Then they might just be worth the cost. Spending 1-3 emeralds to allow trading for a half-dozen or more is worth it.

For those that don't know how trading works, here's a short rundown of what I know:
1. Each villager starts with one trade.
2. Making that trade a certain number of times (sometimes just once) will upgrade them to have another trade.
3. The total number of trades a villager will have varies.
4. Each trade can only be made a certain number of times, but making the last trade on a villager's list will reset previous trades.
5. So, if a villager has a desirable trade X-ed out, or refuses to trade anymore in the middle of a session, then make the last trade on his list and he should be willing to make all of his trades again.

Cautions!
1. Villagers love to run about and knock each other around. If you're trading with a villager and they get knocked far enough away that your trade stops, you might end up punching them. Punch too many villagers and iron golems will slaughter you. When trading always click slowly and deliberately. (Also, be careful throwing eggs.)
2. Since trades can run dry until you make the last trade on a list, sometimes you have to spend emeralds to be able to trade for more emeralds. Try not to run out of emeralds so it's always easy to open up new trades.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

- Diamond Hoe (seriously, who needs a diamond hoe?).
I would totally want a diamond hoe. Then I could tell everyone that's my best hoe. lol

figmentPez

figmentPez

I would totally want a diamond hoe. Then I could tell everyone that's my best hoe. lol
I think I left it in a chest in the village.

Which reminds me. I have a chest in the village I use for trades. It's labeled as "Pez made this" or something like that. Feel free to take whatever is useful to you from that chest. Just try to leave a few emeralds to open up trades. Feel free to take any of the food, tools, armor, etc. Trade the wool, charcoal, etc. for emeralds if you want or do whatever. I take the stuff I really want to keep and put it in the/my Ender chest. Anything in the regular chest is fair game.

Oh, and there is a very slightly enchanted diamond sword in there. If anyone uses it to get enchanted by a priest, could you confirm/deny if the enchantment by a villager adds to existing (non-conflicting) enchantments, or if it completely overwrites them.

Shakey

Shakey

Holy balls. I ran tectonicus on our server, and the output comes to be about 20gb!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Holy balls. I ran tectonicus on our server, and the output comes to be about 20gb!
Which is why I didn't host the two biggest zoom levels when I ran it. They make up 75%-90% of that, I'd wager.

If you need a place to host it, I've got about 90gb free on gasbanditry.com, and I could furnish you with an ftp login.

Shakey

Shakey

Which is why I didn't host the two highest zoom levels when I ran it. They make up 75% of that, I'd wager.
But it looks so cool zoomed in that far!

GasBandit

GasBandit

But it looks so cool zoomed in that far!
I know, it killed me too. But even if your upload is as fast as my download, it'll take you about 3 hours to put 20 gigs up.

If you're like me and get 16 down and 1 or so up... well, multiply that by 16, obviously.

It makes one contemplate just loading webserver software right up there on the box. But even then, your upstream will be a problem when people come to view the maps...

Shakey

Shakey

I know, it killed me too. But even if your upload is as fast as my download, it'll take you about 3 hours to put 20 gigs up.

If you're like me and get 16 down and 1 or so up... well, multiply that by 16, obviously.

It makes one contemplate just loading webserver software right up there on the box. But even then, your upstream will be a problem when people come to view the maps...
I wouldn't want to put it on the MC server, just to make sure you aren't sucking bandwidth for something else.

I'm trying to switch it to use jpeg for the image file types with some compression, which should drop the size by half. At least that's what they say.

Once it's up you should be able to use something like Allway Sync to only upload the files that have changed. So updates shouldn't be too horrible. We'll see though, I'm still playing with it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

My world files themselves of the world I'm trying to render are 1.5GB, and I only have about 25GB free on the machine where I'm trying to render it right now. This worries me.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

My world files themselves of the world I'm trying to render are 1.5GB, and I only have about 25GB free on the machine where I'm trying to render it right now. This worries me.

--Patrick
You might want to use the closestZoomSize argument to reduce the final product's size. However, they say doing so makes tectonicus require even more memory.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I haven't even gotten it to finish its first run-through yet.
Success first, then tune.

Or maybe I'll start with a smaller world (our current server is only 900MB, for instance)?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I haven't even gotten it to finish its first run-through yet.
Success first, then tune.

Or maybe I'll start with a smaller world (our current server is only 900MB, for instance)?

--Patrick
"Only" 900 megs, the man says. Ragnar (the largest Minecraft map we had) on the old halforums server got to be 330 megs at its largest, Rar'd up.

Shakey

Shakey

--Patrick
It should. Our server is about 200mb.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ragnar (the largest Minecraft map we had) on the old halforums server got to be 330 megs at its largest, Rar'd up.
I remember. I had to render it in pieces and then stitch them together in Photoshop because I couldn't render the entire thing all at once.

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

I ran tectonicus with the option to output as a jpg and slightly compressed. It's now down to 4.5 gb. Much more manageable. It also went quicker.

grub

grub

anyone have any use for redstone? i have no idea what to do with it

Dave

Dave

Man. Redstone can be used for a lot. Like the rail line I put in, my electric farm, or my automatic smelting machine. And I suck at redstone. Youtube is your friend, man.

GasBandit

GasBandit

anyone have any use for redstone? i have no idea what to do with it
Besides wiring contraptions, it's useful in potion making.

Shakey

Shakey

Don't forget you can pack them all together into a block to take up less room.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk

figmentPez

figmentPez

Besides wiring contraptions, it's useful in potion making.
And making a compass (if you're not into using F3 to get map coordinates), and compasses are used for making in-game maps.

Redstone is also used in powered rails for minecart systems.

PatrThom

PatrThom

And clocks.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

Did some more trading last night (I know, big surprise) The villager who used to have 10 Emeralds for a Clock as his last trade has now upgraded to takeing 1 Written Book and giving 1 Emerald. He is now an extremely profitable source of emeralds. Start farming that sugar cane and killing squid (if anyone needs leather, let me know.)

The villagers who want cooked fish also accept cooked salmon. Since fish takes so long to catch, I'd advise only trading fish with the villager who has it as the last trade, only when all his other lucrative trades are exhausted (coal, beef and pork, if I recall correctly), and then only the one trade needed to reset his other trades.

I did some number crunching on buying Bottles O' Enchanting. For those that haven't seen this rare item before, it's a thrown potion that breaks into experience orbs when it hits, releasing 3 - 11 points of experience. One of our villagers, very nicely walled in so that he cannot move, trades 1 Emerald for 4 Bottles O' Enchanting. When I tested, he sold me 12 of those trades before refusing more, 48 bottles. I then had to make a 3 emerald trade in order to reset. (I don't yet know if 12 trades is a set amount or if it varies.) Assuming an average of 7 experience per bottle, that means each emerald buys 22.4 experience. At beef prices this is roughly 1.5 exp per piece of beef. Cooking beef gives 0.35 experience per operation.

So, if you're playing the enchanting game, and are willing to run over to the village do some trading, then it's much better to trade your beef to emeralds and then to bottles o' enchanting. Admittedly this doesn't take into account the time it takes to fish up 9 fish to reset that trade group, but I'm going to assume it doesn't ruin the deal, since it brings it it's own emerald and fishing experience, etc.[DOUBLEPOST=1388606444,1388606339][/DOUBLEPOST]
And clocks.
Yes, but we're talking about useful stuff.

PatrThom

PatrThom

we're talking about useful stuff.
Clocks are useful. How else would I know when it is safe to come out from below ground to replenish my supplies?

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

I finally got a bit of a start on the remodel of the interior of my tower. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do, but I need to get a good chunk of my hill hollowed out. Blech.

Far

Far

@Shakey Have we had a map pic recently that I'm missing?

Shakey

Shakey

No, I'll get some done though. I've been working on getting a tectonicus map up, but that may be a little bit still, so I'll toss one up later today.

Shakey

Shakey

Looks like you've been busy again!
Map 1-1-14

figmentPez

figmentPez

I put a lot of high quality equipment in a chest at the village. Bows with stuff like Unbreaking III & Infinity or Power IV. Various bits of enchanted armor. I may have even put my old boots with Feather Falling III. If not I'll do that soon. There are already two books with the enchantment of Feather Falling IV, though.

Shakey

Shakey

Does any one happen to have a silk touch enchant they'd be willing to trade? I'm going to be doing a good bit of mining and would like smooth stone instead of cobble.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I put a lot of high quality equipment in a chest at the village. Bows with stuff like Unbreaking III & Infinity or Power IV. Various bits of enchanted armor. I may have even put my old boots with Feather Falling III. If not I'll do that soon. There are already two books with the enchantment of Feather Falling IV, though.
That's the walled village down in the southern desert, right?

(Incidentally, I'm the acacia oasis up in the northeastern desert. One of these days, I'll take my bucket over to the nearby lava pit and make me a nether gate. One of these days.)

Shakey

Shakey

(Incidentally, I'm the acacia oasis up in the northeastern desert. One of these days, I'll take my bucket over to the nearby lava pit and make me a nether gate. One of these days.)
If you want one without the work, just say so. I put them up for whoever wants one. Just give me the coords of where you want it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If you want one without the work, just say so. I put them up for whoever wants one. Just give me the coords of where you want it.
Well, that's the other part. Not sure where I want it yet. My construction project is still very fluid, in the "planning" stage. Don't worry, I got easy access to plenty of lava right here on the surface, so I can make one easy just as soon as I decide to do so.

Dave

Dave

Does any one happen to have a silk touch enchant they'd be willing to trade? I'm going to be doing a good bit of mining and would like smooth stone instead of cobble.
You can always take smooth stone from my downstairs auto-smelter. If you want to smelt more, just put a shitload of cobblestone into the top chest and hit the levers on either side. The levers load the coal blocks into the ovens, so please only click in a few as more would be kind of a waste.

figmentPez

figmentPez

That seems like quite a waste of a silk touch enchantment, considering you can easily smelt cobble into smooth stone (and some of us already have chests full of smooth stone.

Also, the only silk touch I've managed to get is on axes. Bleh.

Yeah, it's on the nether network, and I think there's decent enough signage to find your way there from the spawn gate.

Dave

Dave

I have two large chests almost filled with smooth stone, but I also have a silk touch that has Efficiency III/Unbreaking III. I get a lot of smooth stone.

Shakey

Shakey

That seems like quite a waste of a silk touch enchantment, considering you can easily smelt cobble into smooth stone (and some of us already have chests full of smooth stone.
It seems like a waste of coal though. Especially when I want a whole lot of it. Maybe I'll hit some of you up for it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I believe @figmentPez and myself both have a double chestful of smooth stone. Each.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

It seems like a waste of coal though. Especially when I want a whole lot of it. Maybe I'll hit some of you up for it.
I use charcoal, a renewable resource. Much easier to come by than a silk touch pick. You are definitely welcome to mine. Let me know if you want to stop by my place for it, or if you'd like me to drop it off somewhere for you.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So apparently now the game prespawns temples in the desert? With booby traps? That set off chain reactions of dynamite? Yeah that would have been nice to know before I went down in one. I might not have taken my enchanted diamond stuff and bow with me when I went in.

Dave

Dave

Oh, Gas. The game now has booby-trapped temples. When you step on the ground shit goes boom.

Worst part is, I think he temple you are at had already been plundered...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh, Gas. The game now has booby-trapped temples. When you step on the ground shit goes boom.

Worst part is, I think he temple you are at had already been plundered...
If it was, whoever plundered it did a bang up job sealing it back up to look pristine and untouched.

Dave

Dave

If it was, whoever plundered it did a bang up job sealing it back up to look pristine and untouched.
If it's the same one I saw, they burrowed in from the side and never touched the top middle.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, the chests were still down there, and I didn't see any holes in the walls. Didn't get a chance to check if the chests were empty though before I got sploded, and then all the gear that popped out of me got sploded.

Shakey

Shakey

If it was on your side of the pond, it probably hasn't been. I don't think many people have explored over by you. I could be wrong though.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm so glad the traps in the jungle temple were a lot less lethal.

Shakey

Shakey

Those tnt traps are just mean.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yep. Those desert temples have the most valuable loot in the game (such as it is).
You either have to go at them from the side to defuse them, or else pour water in to pop up the pressure plate before you go in.
Trouble is, since it's dark in there, sometimes monsters spawn in there and set off the traps for you, destroying the loot.

Incidentally, my Teconicus map has finally finished. If you want to check out what a huuuge map looks like, lemme know and I'll furnish the IP (if you aren't already part of the conversation).

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

Well, that wasn't fun. I was interrupted and distracted while outside, and logged out quick. When I came back I was dead. It's light outside, and it's right outside my house, so I should be able to get it all back easily. I start recovering my pile of stuff when a baby zombie comes at me full speed wearing all my diamond armor and wielding my diamond sword... Good thing I got my bow and arrows back.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

AussieTizzers, a few nights ago, lets out this stream of expletives while he was on the server. I asked what he was doing over there. "It's a baby zombie. On a CHICKEN!" and apparently it did him for 4 hearts. Those little things sound like real jerks.

Dave

Dave

And they are FAST! But once you knock them off their chickens, you can harvest the chicken for meat and feathers.

Shakey

Shakey

I have yet to see one of those. :-(

@LordRendar, you are on the nether network now. It's not my prettiest work, but if you look outside your portal hut you'll see why... I might complain a bit about these tricky nether tunnel builds, but I get a bit of a rush out of doing it.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

As soon as I figure out where I want to put it, I'll have you do mine as well.

Shakey

Shakey

As soon as I figure out where I want to put it, I'll have you do mine as well.
Just let me know. Yours should be pretty easy, as long as it's at your tower.

For those that have them up, you can always move them if you want. The game looks for the nearest portal when you go through them, so as long as no one puts a portal up right next to you, you don't need to worry about your coords syncing up perfectly. If you do move it and end up having troubles, let me know and we can move stuff around to make it work.

David

David

Thanks a ton to whoever left the stacks of rails and redstone in my fort!

Dave

Dave

That would be me.

Dave

Dave

For some reason the DNS is not resolving. It still gets there by the IP 184.61.140.206, however.

I'm looking into it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

NOoooooOooo! The librarian in the village upgraded again. His final deal is now a book and 45 emeralds in echange for an enchanted book of Respiration III. I did make a purchase of that, just because I hoped it would immediately open a new deal, but it's still the last thing on his list. The resulting book is in the chest in the village if anyone wants to make use of an extra 45 seconds of breathing underwater.

In other news, Dave and I have started killing zombie pigmen in order to get their gold because his nether rail system is proving expensive in the gold department. Thankfully my sword is ideal for this task, having Smite IV and Looting III, which makes zpigs easy to kill and very profitable.

I'm also considering trying to make my own village on the southern tip of my island. Just to see if I can.

Dave

Dave

My nether rail is completed. You can go all the way from my house to the Jungle. I just don't know how to easily make it branch to the other areas.

grub

grub

I think I may be overloading the tick-timer with my redstone things. my song is rather glitchy. lost all my gear wandering through a nether fort :(.

How does everyone else get XP, it seems to take forever for me.

figmentPez

figmentPez

How does everyone else get XP, it seems to take forever for me.
Farming and livestock is the fastest way for me to get XP. I also enjoy getting XP fighting enemies, but it's not fast. Branch mining can earn XP at a fair clip if you're using a diamond pickaxe.

AussieTizzers just finished the blaze spawner grinder. I'm not sure how it works, but he says you can gain thirty levels really fast. He said there are incomplete signs giving instructions.

PatrThom

PatrThom

My nether rail is completed. You can go all the way from my house to the Jungle. I just don't know how to easily make it branch to the other areas.
I can help you with that. :)
I think I may be overloading the tick-timer with my redstone things. my song is rather glitchy. lost all my gear wandering through a nether fort :(.
I don't know what's up, either. I was getting something like 2fps last night while mining but moving things around in my inventory was still full speed.

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

I can help you with that. :)

I don't know what's up, either. I was getting something like 2fps last night while mining but moving things around in my inventory was still full speed.

--Patrick
I noticed a little lag last night, but it wasn't too bad. Right now I only reboot the server once at night. I may up that to twice a day, maybe around 11am central. I think I'll probably drop the render distance back down to 8.

I also dropped the difficulty. Let me know what you guys think. I'm ok with kicking it back up if there aren't enough spawns, so just let me know. I wish I could just drop the number of creeper spawns. It's annoying to get mobbed by 3 creepers all at once the second you step outside.

PatrThom

PatrThom

My lag may have been due to my server + my other server + my webhosted map + wife playing online + skype call.

Maybe.

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

Question @Shakey: area loaded around the player is, as far as I know, 10x10 chunks. If you drop the render distance down to 8, would the outlying chunks still load?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Question @Shakey: area loaded around the player is, as far as I know, 10x10 chunks. If you drop the render distance down to 8, would the outlying chunks still load?
They will load, but only if you go within 8 chunks of them. Dropping the render distance just changes how big of a chunk radius gets sent to the player, I think.

--Patrick

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Hmm, can't connect to the server now. Says host unkown.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I've been on the server most of the afternoon.

I have successfully trapped two zombie villagers, reverted them to life with golden apples, and those two have had their first kidlet. I'm waiting for the little twerp to grow up in hopes that he'll have better deals than his parents.

Shakey

Shakey

Hmm, can't connect to the server now. Says host unkown.
You can try using the ip address Dave posted above. Otherwise try flushing your DNS, with the host change it may not have refreshed for you yet.[DOUBLEPOST=1388968408,1388967899][/DOUBLEPOST]
They will load, but only if you go within 8 chunks of them. Dropping the render distance just changes how big of a chunk radius gets sent to the player, I think.

--Patrick
I think that's how it works. It's the amount of data the server sends the client only. So, you will only be able to see 8 chucks out, but that doesn't mean stuff isn't loading out there. I kind of wonder about that though, especially with the bug where mobs wouldn't spawn with view distance below 8 that we saw earlier.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Yeah, I was able to finally get in when I put in the IP address.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

AussieTizzers just finished the blaze spawner grinder. I'm not sure how it works, but he says you can gain thirty levels really fast. He said there are incomplete signs giving instructions.
The signs should be finished.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I have successfully trapped two zombie villagers, reverted them to life with golden apples, and those two have had their first kidlet. I'm waiting for the little twerp to grow up in hopes that he'll have better deals than his parents.
My village is progressing nicely. I think it won't be too long before I get an iron golem.

Best deal so far is enchanting a book with Looting III for 45 emeralds. Expensive, but maybe worth it to someone. Other than that, nothing unusual, but definitely some profitable deals with lots of librarians. They're still producing offspring, so we'll see how things go. Anyone is welcome to stop by and trade.

EDIT: Fixed my stupid mistake. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up. Just the sword enchantment, not the one that's so desired.

Shakey

Shakey

I love it! Maybe just start a seperate rail at my place going to eriols, and then branch it out again? If you need anything to do more, let me know.

This is why I love playing with people I know. Everyone does their own cool thing and you get to see stuff you never would have normally. Aussie has a pretty sweet blaze harvester too. That's something I never would have even thought of.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Somone, I think it was LordRendar, was trying to enchant a good sword. I got: Sharpness 4, Unbreaking 3, Knockback 2 today, but it doesn't suit my needs as well as what I already have. I left it in a chest near my enchanting table.

Dave

Dave

My village is progressing nicely. I think it won't be too long before I get an iron golem.

Best deal so far is enchanting a book with Fortune III for 45 emeralds. Expensive, but maybe worth it to someone. Other than that, nothing unusual, but definitely some profitable deals with lots of librarians. They're still producing offspring, so we'll see how things go. Anyone is welcome to stop by and trade.
FORTUNE III?!?!? The holy grail of books?!?

figmentPez

figmentPez

FORTUNE III?!?!? The holy grail of books?!?
I misspoke. SORRY! It's Looting 3. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Dave

Dave

I misspoke. SORRY! It's Looting 3. Sorry to get your hopes up.
You tease!

drifter

drifter

Just to annoy @Dave, I'll mention that I have Fortune I, II, and III enchanted pickaxes.

They are only iron, though.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Between the village Dave secured and my from-scratch village on my island, almost all diamond equipment can be purchased with emeralds. The exception thus far is pants. Which means that diamond tools, of all sorts, are a renewable resource. If anyone wants to use diamond tools, feel free, there's more where that came from. If anyone wants one, feel free to trade for them, or request one from me. I've already got a few picks enchanted with Efficiency and/or Unbreaking of some sort, or I can buy you a fresh one with no enchantments.

Shakey

Shakey

I need to grab some nether brick to finish it off, but we now have a loop in the nether system. When I was helping @David[DOUBLEPOST=1389015515,1389015412][/DOUBLEPOST]get up and running I realized how close two of the ends were, so I joined them. It still needs a bit of work, but it's mostly done.

Shakey

Shakey

@David, I moved your portal a tad so that @Dave could get a straight shot through with the rail. I think I have everyones portal hut marked now. You might want to check yours if you didn't put it up and make sure I marked it right.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I might have to avail myself of some of the Diamond Tool charity Pez is providing. I haven't been back on since my explosive temple failure, but it knocked me back down to iron.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I might have to avail myself of some of the Diamond Tool charity Pez is providing. I haven't been back on since my explosive temple failure, but it knocked me back down to iron.
Just let me know what pieces you want, and your preference for enchantment status. I might do an inventory of available items and trades today if I don't get wrapped up doing something else.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Just let me know what pieces you want, and your preference for enchantment status. I might do an inventory of available items and trades today if I don't get wrapped up doing something else.
The usual stuff is on my laundry list - a sword with sharpness and maybe knockback if luck provides, a pickaxe with unbreaking and efficiency, and if I really get indulgent, a shovel with the same would be nice. I got a lot of sand to dig, you see. A lot.

Also another power/infinity bow would be sweet if one falls off a truck anywhere.

Dave

Dave

I have a book of Sharpness III you can have, Gas.

Oh, and whomever keep building doors in the Village, thanks! But please quit building them by the walls! The golems climb them, jump over and then can't get back in!

figmentPez

figmentPez

Oh, and whomever keep building doors in the Village, thanks! But please quit building them by the walls! The golems climb them, jump over and then can't get back in!
Golems can climb doors?

The usual stuff is on my laundry list - a sword with sharpness and maybe knockback if luck provides, a pickaxe with unbreaking and efficiency, and if I really get indulgent, a shovel with the same would be nice. I got a lot of sand to dig, you see. A lot.

Also another power/infinity bow would be sweet if one falls off a truck anywhere.
Sorry, no extra bows with infinity, though I'm pretty sure I have a book, though the anvil cost might be prohibitive to use it. I definitely have bows with Power 4, Unbreaking 3. (But you can't have my bow with Power 5, Unbreaking 3, Infinity. I've named it Bard's Bow because it only needs one arrow to do the job.)

I'll see about the rest soon. Where would you like the pieces delivered?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Thanks, Dave and Pez, I'll take whatever I can get. I haven't built my nether gate yet (still), but if it's convenient for you to leave it in a box in the nether by the Pez exit I can get it from there. Or wherever is convenient for you is fine and I can come get it. I'll just remember not to stick my nose into any odd structures between there and home this time.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Thanks, Dave and Pez, I'll take whatever I can get. I haven't built my nether gate yet (still), but if it's convenient for you to leave it in a box in the nether by the Pez exit I can get it from there. Or wherever is convenient for you is fine and I can come get it. I'll just remember not to stick my nose into any odd structures between there and home this time.
I'll start loading up that chest with options.

Shakey

Shakey

New map! 1-5-14 Map

My Ghast next to my tower still needs a bit of work. Gotta get that finished tonight.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Got you some eqipment @GasBandit . In the chest in the nether near my gate, as requested.

All diamond, unless otherwise noted:
- Shovel: Unbreaking 3, Fortune 2 (Book of Efficiency 4 if a freaking diamond shovel isn't fast enough for you. I have 3 more books of the same.)
- Sword: Sharpness 4, Unbreaking 3, Knockback 2 (Book of Looting 2 to accompany it. Could buy a book of Looting 3, but that's expensive)
- Pickaxe: Efficiency 4, Unbreaking 3
- Bows, please choose one:
= Power 4, Unbreaking 3
= Power 4, Unbreaking 3, Flame
- Helmet: Unbreaking 3, Fire Protection 4, Aqua Affinity
- Boots: unenchanted
Choice of Chestplates:
= Iron with Unbreaking 3, Projectile Protection 4
= Diamond with Unbreaking 2, Projectile Protection 3

Let me know if you need anything more, like arrows or anything else.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Thanks much, I appreciate it. I'll get on later tonight and come get it.

Also, never underestimate how fast a shovel needs to be when digging sand for sandstone construction. You should see efficiency 4 on a shovel in sand.. it's like.. 15 blocks per second.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If anyone feels industrious and wants to connect me up to the Nether network, my portal is at 1092, 63, -381 in the real world, facing east. Thanks much.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I've been naming my favorite weapons lately.

Bow with Power 5, Unbreaking 3, Infinity is now Bard's Bow because it only takes one arrow to get the job done.

Sword with Smite 4, Unbreaking 3, Looting 3 and Fire Aspect 2 is Tea Bandit Shiv. Kudos to anyone who knows the reference. Sadly this sword is too expensive to even repair.

For my next enchanting project, I'm torn between trying to craft a perfect successor to my shiv, or if I should enchant until I get a helmet I really love.

David

David

Sword with Smite 4, Unbreaking 3, Looting 3 and Fire Aspect 2 is Tea Bandit Shiv. Kudos to anyone who knows the reference. Sadly this sword is too expensive to even repair.
I watched through that guy's entire Minecraft let's play, but oddly enough I couldn't get myself to sit through much of the rest of his commentaries.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Thanks to Shakey for connecting me up. My node on the nether network is right next to the blaze grinder. That's pretty convenient.

Shakey

Shakey

You're welcome.

I see @Dave finished running rail around the loop to everyones portal in the nether. Awesome! There's no rail to the mushroom island, but that's not a big deal. There is one to the jungle though.

David

David

Annoyed at the villagers constantly shuffling around, I made an attempt at capturing each of them to one spot (and they're now unable to annoyingly open and shut doors). It's not too pretty, but it seems to be holding them. I figure we can put a sign on each one for easy reference of their items. If for any reason this is bad to do, I understand if someone breaks them back free.

Dave

Dave

I do have a favor to ask. I have a new village near my place. I'd like to develop this myself so if everyone could please stay away? I'm trying different things out and would like to make sure they are not being traded with yet.

It's the main reason why I haven't gone to Pez's village other than to look at the setup.

Sorry if this sounds bitchy. Nobody has done anything yet, but I'm trying to prevent it.

Bones

Bones

so you are saying I shouldn't test my new explosives cache out? darn...I was going to nuke them from orbit, it was the only way to be sure. :3

Dave

Dave

As long as you leave at least 2 alive I'm cool. I just got the zombie villagers turned to actual villagers last night and they already had a kid! I added a shitload of doors and am going to be interested as to how fast they breed if at all any longer.

I was mostly talking about trades. I know it would be beneficial overall for someone to make a ton of trades and move their items forward, but someone else doing it would take away the discovery aspect for me.

Shakey

Shakey

so you are saying I shouldn't test my new explosives cache out? darn...I was going to nuke them from orbit, it was the only way to be sure. :3
I think as long as you build a canon that can shoot far enough to be considered "away" from his place you'll be ok.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I was mostly talking about trades. I know it would be beneficial overall for someone to make a ton of trades and move their items forward, but someone else doing it would take away the discovery aspect for me.
I figured that might be why you started your own. I stopped by to see your build, but I didn't make any trades. You kinda lucked out with those first two, though. From what I saw their combined first six trades were all items -> emeralds, pretty good way to get things rolling.

If anyone wants to trade at my village, they're more than welcome to. There are still new trades to open up on a lot of the villagers, and deals to make emeralds abound. Feel free to make use of the trading materials in chests, and take any supplies you want.

Eriol

Eriol

So I'm back. First of all: holy crap people! Nether rail much? OMG. And whomever built that blaze grinder has a lot of time on their hands. Bravo!

On that note, the track. I see people didn't really know how to create "stops" that were also "go" so I've done that. If you get stopped, hit the button to "keep going" again. It should "just work" that way. If you're starting up, either place the cart at the very end next to the block and hit the button, or on the angled track "away" from the direction you want to go. Imagine the stopped cart if it "kept going" and then it'll go the direction you want when you hit the button. I've tested it both ways, and I think it "just works" but if you are ever stopped too soon, just remove the un-powered powered rail where you stopped and replace with normal track to "fix" it permanently. I put two there because sometimes if you're going too fast, you don't stop on the angle. The idea is to stop on the angle.

Either way, I hope that helped. Sorry for anybody who had their "approach" changed a bit, but I think it works better to have stops that you can just keep going from. I tried to change as little as possible.

And I harvested some of those redstone blocks people were using to power track. You only need a torch people! Put it underneath the block that the track is on, and you're good! So I've "re-purposed" some of that to torches, but not all. ;)

Dave

Dave

I like the redstone blocks because (a) I think they look better asthetically and (b) it utilizes all the redstone I have no other use for.

grub

grub

I know I used a good portion last night, but I was just trying to stay in the same style as Dave's work*. I had to mine for more gold for the powered though (which is fine as I don't really use it for anything).

edit.

* or more accurately I didn't realize that a torch would work for that

Dirona

Dirona

Just had a look at the most recent map. Good lord, you go away for two weeks when people have free time, and there's a whole bunch of new places to explore! People have been busy. I look forward to creepily wandering through your homes.

Eriol

Eriol

I like the redstone blocks because (a) I think they look better asthetically and (b) it utilizes all the redstone I have no other use for.
Looks is one thing, but I mean burying the torches underground. So that the track is "just lit" with no weird blocks. Either way though is fine, I just wondered if you didn't know it could be done the other way.

Now I REALLY want a map that's labelled. I don't know where people's stuff is!

figmentPez

figmentPez

Diamond Leggings can now be purchased from a villager in my town. That means that every piece of diamond equipment can be bought with emeralds, and are a renewable resource.

All those books of Fortune 3 that Dave has? Not necessary to make tools or armor, so get building huge monuments out of diamond block!

Later tonight I may type up a guide to trading with villagers.

For now, have a chart of potential villager trades from the Minecraft wiki:
Trading-Chart.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

Just had a look at the most recent map. Good lord, you go away for two weeks when people have free time, and there's a whole bunch of new places to explore! People have been busy. I look forward to creepily wandering through your homes.
I know, right? It's not fair that a dozen people can collectively put in more hours than I could do all by myself with my meager free time.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

My village is now open for trading. There's over 30 of them if I'm counting right and I can't possibly level them all. Well, I could, but it would be long and difficult process.

Come on down!

Eriol

Eriol

The End has come!

Literally. I found a stronghold east of Lord Rendar, and populated the End Portal Frame there. Thanks to my lovely wife Dirona for her help with enough Ender Pearls to power the frame up.

So you can get to The End now. The portal in the Nether to get there is right near Lord Rendar's place. Signs are up from the main track to/from the Jungle. Once you emerge on "normal" land, there's a spiral tunnel right below you, which then leads to the stronghold. It is well-lit and safe all the way to the portal room.

WARNING: Once you enter The End, there is NO way back except by dying. The Dragon must be killed first, which we haven't done yet. There has been some discussion of getting supplies ready and doing a "raid" this weekend or something. Also, the dragon when passing through blocks destroys ALL block types except for End Stone and Obsidian.

Trick: If somebody gets an Ender Chest to The End it's possible to bring things back from it. The End Stone there can only be acquired with a Silk Touch pickaxe, but if then deposited into the Ender Chest, you can access it from the "real world" as well. Since you need to die, I suggest putting your Silk Touch pickaxe in there too! The dragon may kill the Ender Chest though when going by. We'll see!

Dave

Dave

Did the stronghold already have 6 eyes of ender in it? Because the stronghold I found I left that way.

Eriol

Eriol

Did the stronghold already have 6 eyes of ender in it? Because the stronghold I found I left that way.
No it had two in it. And was definitely "not used" at all. The spawner was there as well.

Dirona

Dirona

I know, right? It's not fair that a dozen people can collectively put in more hours than I could do all by myself with my meager free time.

--Patrick
:p

Also, I am now officially connected to the 'Netherwork' rail system. I was feeling left out, so I built myself a little station. I'm between Spawn and Eriol's place.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I played around a little in creative mode on my own today. The Wither is a real jerk. Strongholds are freaking huge. It's fun to watch Iron Golems smash Enders. But mostly, the end text after beating the Ender Dragon is really freaking pretentious.

I did this mostly to get an idea of what things might be like fighting the dragon on our server. I'd love to make a veritable army of snow golems. They're pretty cheap to build, I just don't know how well they'll work in a real battle. Iron golems would definitely take the endermen off our backs, but they're not cheap to build.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Iron/snow golems tend to ignore the Enderdragon, I hear. Or at least they're not good about attacking it.
Might keep the Enders off your tail, though.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

Iron/snow golems tend to ignore the Enderdragon, I hear. Or at least they're not good about attacking it.
Might keep the Enders off your tail, though.

--Patrick
From what I saw it's pretty true that they don't give a crap about the Dragon. The snow golems made a few pot shots, but they had very little impact. I'm much more concerned with scaring off endermen, as well as providing distraction for the dragon (who did seem to attack them.)

Dave

Dave

Man, I can't wait until release 14.
  • Doors stack.
  • Making a door gives 3 instead of 1.
  • Tools show what items they can destroy.
  • Villagers will trade more logically. (Existing villagers will not change which will suck for Pez and myself.)
  • Trading may or may not generate exp. This is not a given yet.
  • Leveling is more difficult.
  • Enchanting will now cost 1-3 levels, but will have a material cost (gold). You will be able to see what the top level of the enchant will be. I have attached a picture that I will parse out to explain better.
  • Anvil costs will also drop, including repairs. Renaming will now always be 1 level cost.
  • Each world is now going to use it's own "thread". This means that the Nether will not affect the main world and visa versa. If there's a lot of people working the nether, this won't have any effect on the main world. Love this one.

In this picture, a person has at least 13 levels but not 30. So he's choosing to enchant at that level, costing him 2 levels. But he knows the enchantment is going to be Looting I so he's not wasting his exp & mats. He could possibly get more enchants with it, but he knows Looting I is going to be on it.

This is going to be a great update!

figmentPez

figmentPez

Villagers will trade more logically. (Existing villagers will not change which will suck for Pez and myself.)
If I'm still playing at that point (I'll probably have to quit when the semester starts.) I might arrange for the majority of my villagers to have an accident.*

*I mean, how could I possibly know that only the villagers I walled up in a house would survive my removing a wall and taking down all the torches?

Shakey

Shakey

• Each world is now going to use it's own "thread". This means that the Nether will not affect the main world and visa versa. If there's a lot of people working the nether, this won't have any effect on the main world. Love this one.
Thank God. Hopefully they have a few more server tweaks too. You guys and your personal villages, giant killing machines, and railroads are killing us! :p

figmentPez

figmentPez

Thank God. Hopefully they have a few more server tweaks too. You guys and your personal villages, giant killing machines, and railroads are killing us! :p
Hey, I made my village before it was cool.

GasBandit

GasBandit

There was a zombie villager outside my house last night that I had to watch die in the sun because I wasn't prepared for him.

Now I am.

I hadn't planned on it originally, but the structure I'm building may end up being populated with villagers.

The funny thing is, I've had something similar before on a private map that just me and the little woman were on, running the millenaire mod. Didn't even get any baby villagers, just kept getting inundated by zombie villagers that I had to trick into a building and then cure, and lock them inside.

Shakey

Shakey

Bouncy slime blocks!

David

David

Something keeps making creepers spawn in my chicken room. This is the only floor of my tower I've had any mobs spawn in. It's lined with glowstone, which I thought was supposed to be a brighter lighting source than torches, but maybe that was wrong or was changed. I just walked in and BOOM hole in the floor, the fence to the ladder destroyed and half a dozen chickens dead. I put a torch in the floor hoping it would fix the problem.

2014-01-09_13.15.33.png

Eriol

Eriol

It's surprising how fast light decays with distance. I can believe that the center was not enough, and a mob could spawn there, from the screenshot you have there. And it's WORSE diagonal. See this: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Light

The little diagram partway down is especially "enlightening" for this topic:
Edit: it doesn't copy-n-paste well.

I hope that helps.

Dirona

Dirona

To translate Eriol's post - put some glowstone blocks in the floor, somewhere around the middle, that should help.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Glowstone is brighter than torches, but only by 1 light level (15 as opposed to 14). The fact that you have your glowstone 3 meters off the ground greatly reduces its ground area lit (effectively making them 1 darker than torches), so I'm not surprised you were getting monster spawns in a room that size (radius 8 it looks like?). They start spawning at light level 6 I think. The torch in the middle should fix it.

Effective light radius:

glowstone at 3 meter height

G
12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12

As opposed to torches on the ground

T-13-12-11-10-9-8-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-T

Eriol

Eriol

According to the link I posted, 7 and below is spawning monsters.

Eriol

Eriol

I did it again. Ice Spike Biome. Dangerous path. Start's at Gared's portal. With some warning signs, break out the blocks next to them. This one is beyond unsafe, hence not a door, but actually breaking blocks to start the path. About the only thing you won't do is fall into a pit because of a ghast because i DO reinforce my bridges. Other than that... single-wide bridges over death-gaps, and lots of other fun. Follow the torches!

But worth it. Packed Ice doesn't melt, is opaque, but slides like normal ice. I'm going to make a mob grinder with it. If you want some, be sure to bring a Silk Touch pickaxe, or else it won't collect.

Have fun!

Shakey

Shakey

Are you saying my bridges are unsafe? :-D I've gotten better about making them all stone. I should really redo the path to the jungle and the mushroom isle some time.

I might have to take on your path. My kind of project!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Best regular arrangement for torches is staggering them every 6 meters, like so:
Code:
o.....o.....o
...o.....o...
o.....o.....o
It's not pretty, no, but if you're just trying to keep an area spawn-free, it's effective and easy to maintain.
...And the reason I advocate this arrangement is because you can lose any one torch and the light level will still never drop below 8*.

--Patrick
*in open, flat terrain.

Dave

Dave

It's why I arranged the glowstone in my village the way I did. Aesthetically pleasing and functional!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yep. A "normal" block with torches on all 6 sides (assuming you could torch the bottom) would be functionally identical to a block of glowstone as far as lighting is concerned, so the arrangement I show above could be achieved with glowstone (or jack-o-lanterns) set into the ground and as a result not have those unsightly torches sticking up all over. Great for lighting "permanent" wide open spaces.

--Patrick

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

If anyone wants to hook me up to the nether network, I have everything set up near my tower right off of the pathway. I haven't activated it yet, but it's ready for whoever wants to do it.

Dirona

Dirona

The shell of what will become the hanging gardens is now complete between spawn hut and my place, if anyone wishes to do a preliminary tour.

drifter

drifter

Damn, you got that up fast. Looking good!

Shakey

Shakey

If anyone wants to hook me up to the nether network, I have everything set up near my tower right off of the pathway. I haven't activated it yet, but it's ready for whoever wants to do it.
You're all set. You're almost right across from the spawn hut portal. Easiest one I've done so far. :p

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Cool! Thanks!

Shakey

Shakey

I've been doing a whole lot of digging in making a safe tunnel to the ice biome, so I have a crap ton of netherrack. I dropped a bunch in the chest next to my portal in the nether if you want any. Take as much as you want!

Shakey

Shakey

So close to finishing the tunnel to the ice biome. If someone wants to make a stop on the track where it splits off, it would be much appreciated. If you travel from Eriols village to David's, it's hard to miss. The tunnel is safe. It just needs to be purtier.

drifter

drifter

Hey @Shakey, any chance I could get verification for a slime chunk? Cleared out a space where I saw a couple, but I haven't seen any since. Want to make sure if it's a mob cap thing or if I picked the wrong spot.

-edit-
Never mind, couldn't sleep and hopped on the server, found slimes.

Dave

Dave

One of my villagers ran away. You remember him? The guy who traded for Fortune III books? Just...gone.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Some other server must've made him a better offer.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

He's back! I found him wandering outside the walls. I let him back in and expanded so that the walls are out 2 more spaces.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Must've had his nose buried deep in a book, forgot where he was.

--Patrick

Eriol

Eriol

Been more than a week since a map. Any update? I'm curious what people have been doing.

Dave

Dave

Map?!? You want a freaking MAP?!?

http://www.halforums.com/MCMap/index.html

Okay. Oh, and this reveals my super-secret base, damn it all. Good thing I cleared a bunch of it out last night...

PatrThom

PatrThom

What's the closest zoom level? 24?

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Dunno. url says 8, but that might not be the same thing.

Eriol

Eriol

Thanks for the map man. Appreciate it.
Okay. Oh, and this reveals my super-secret base, damn it all. Good thing I cleared a bunch of it out last night...
Far south-east by the witch hut? Or where? Now I'm curious.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Dunno. url says 8, but that might not be the same thing.
8 is the number of zoom levels, not the level of zoom, itself.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

I don't even know where the witch hut is.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Comparing to past server tectonicus maps, Pat, it looks like just the default zoom levels.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It didn't look like mine, though. In fact, the closest zoom level on the HF map looks to be the same size as the second-to-closest zoom on mine. That's why I was asking (my first overly ambitious project was 8 levels, starting at 12).

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hrm, well, all I can tell you is that zoom levels 1-6 exactly match the zoom levels 1-6 of my caprica map... and my map doesn't have 7 or 8 (would have taken too long to upload/used too much space)

Shakey

Shakey

The zoom level is 24, so not the default. It saved me 3 gb to do that, plus a whole lot of render time.

Dave

Dave

This map does help me see what my next project will be. My village has a bit of a bend to it. Time to move the lake and expand the village.

drifter

drifter

Signs, signs, everywhere signs.

Shakey

Shakey

I also added memory to the server today. I didn't get as much put in as I wanted to though. There are 3 sets of memory slots in my server, all of which I had filled with 1gb each giving me 6 gb. I thought I could add 3 sets of 2gb and end up with 12 gb. Apparently not. I can't use the 3rd set of slots with my new memory, so I ended up with only 8 instead of 12. Still better than what I had. When money gets a bit more plentiful I may try to max it out with 4gb sticks if we need it, giving it 16 gb.[DOUBLEPOST=1389727520,1389727482][/DOUBLEPOST]
Signs, signs, everywhere signs.
I could turn them off, but they can be useful for identifying what stuff is or who they belong to.

drifter

drifter

It's all good, I just wanted to make a Tesla reference.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Users can turn them off by clicking the sign icon, so it's not a big deal.

Long haired freaky people need not apply.

Dave

Dave

It's all good, I just wanted to make a Tesla reference.
Really? I thought it was the Five Man Electrical Band.

drifter

drifter

The cover version was my first exposure to that song, so it's the one that sticks in my head.

grub

grub

Most of the ones near my place are just so i stop getting lost in the underground. lots of long dead ends and loops

PatrThom

PatrThom

I could turn them off, but they can be useful for identifying what stuff is or who they belong to.
You can also turn on only the view-enabled signs, leaving the "regular" signs unrendered.

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

You can also turn on only the view-enabled signs, leaving the "regular" signs unrendered.

--Patrick
So only the above ground ones show? Or how do you view enable them?

PatrThom

PatrThom

You can enter text on a sign in a specific manner or by using the #VIEW tag which preloads the map with a mouseover view of a point of interest at that location as if you were standing at the specified location and looking at the specified angle.

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

Cool. Might have to look into that. I still need to figure out how to upload just the changed files. Anyone good at making scripts feel like doing it for me?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Cool. Might have to look into that. I still need to figure out how to upload just the changed files. Anyone good at making scripts feel like doing it for me?
You might not need a script. Some FTP clients, like smartFTP, have a "synchronize" mode that will check hash values and only upload those that are different.

Shakey

Shakey

You might not need a script. Some FTP clients, like smartFTP, have a "synchronize" mode that will check hash values and only upload those that are different.
Nice. I'll have to check that out.

On a different note, someone must be screwing with me. I went out to check on my animals and all my cows were smooshed into the chicken pen with all the chickens. There will be no cow chicken love on my watch.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Are we still going to make a group attempt to kill the Ender Dragon?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Do we have any consensus of what to do once the Enderdragon is dead?
(not that I think this will be any time soon)

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

You mean whether to rest him or not?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Whether we would reset the server, I mean.

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

I'm for resetting the end after he's killed. It would be nice to let other people try to kill him on their own if they want. I know you can make good xp farms from killing enderman there, but I think keeping the dragon up for others to experience is a more important.

Eriol

Eriol

I'm of the opinion to schedule a time this weekend for us all to make an attempt at it, and it's "dead" as a server. And that's it. And then we can try our hands at killing a Wither or something, since that's after that in the achievement list.

grub

grub

does the achievement go to everybody that attacked it or only to the one who dealt the final blow?

edit,

2 seconds on google answered my question.

"Enter the End exit portal which appears after the dragon's death. Entering End Portal block hacked to the game via world editor software also counts even before killing the dragon. PC"
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Ender_Dragon#Achievements

Eriol

Eriol

does the achievement go to everybody that attacked it or only to the one who dealt the final blow?
Pretty sure it's for going through the portal that gets created upon its death, but that's from reading about it, I've never actually done it.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Who gets the egg, though?

I don't care, myself. It doesn't do anything, as far as I know, and I probably won't have a lot of time to play now that the semester has started, anyway.

David

David

^Same, my semester officially begins on Saturday, on which I have a 6 hour class this semester, so I'm pretty much out of time to participate too much.

Dave

Dave

Reset the game after killing the dragon?!? I don't know how I feel about that. I do like the fact that things would be new and wonderful again and there's some things I would do a bit differently. Hell, I guess I could get behind that. Suck to lose all my villagers, though, those door-opening noisy bastards.

Shakey

Shakey

Reset the game after killing the dragon?!? I don't know how I feel about that. I do like the fact that things would be new and wonderful again and there's some things I would do a bit differently. Hell, I guess I could get behind that. Suck to lose all my villagers, though, those door-opening noisy bastards.
You can just reset the end too, no need to reset the whole world.

Dave

Dave

Ah! I misread your post. I didn't see that you said to just refresh the end. I'll be available all weekend if we want to give it a shot.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah, I believe you can just delete the DIM folder that contains the End dimension, and it will "refill" as new.

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

Some more new fun stuff in the next release.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I've watched a few of that guy's videos. He gets sooooooo in depth with his analyses.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

That's good for creative mode but that's about it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh dear. I see much potential for abuse.

Dave

Dave

Especially the one where you can set it up to close infinitely...

Shakey

Shakey

The fill will be nice for repairing damage someone may do while excessively mining sand. I know there's a few of you out there... Or filling in water if you need to make things look pretty.

I think it may be fun to randomly place some of those kill pads around on our server. :ninja:

It'll be interesting to see what people come up for with skins now that you'll be able to add layers too.

Dave

Dave

Yes, but these commands won't be available in most multi-player games. I mean, in ours we have like 3 commands.

PatrThom

PatrThom

You would think that, but there are some very good reasons for doing so in Survival.
Specifically, command blocks can be set up by Mods to allow regular players to do things that are not ordinarily possible ("Press button to make it daytime," for instance).
The clone mechanic essentially enables the building of replicators (insert block, press button, remove copy, press button again, etc).
Oh dear. I see much potential for abuse.
...and so much potential, too.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

The fill will be nice for repairing damage someone may do while excessively mining sand. I know there's a few of you out there...
Hey, just what is "excessive" and what's it to ya?!

Yes, but these commands won't be available in most multi-player games. I mean, in ours we have like 3 commands.
Did you read somewhere that they weren't? I was under the impression these command blocks would make it available to all in vanilla. Which if you ask me is a dangerous thing. I didn't even trust you guys with that power when we had addons that could do it. You'd have broken shit beyond all belief or repair.

...and so much potential, too.

--Patrick
Well sure. Any truly powerful tool is a truly dangerous tool. The problem will be here that we're basically turning over the keys to editing reality (not mining, crafting, and building but editing reality) over to every individual player. Regardless of expertise, temperament, motivation or consideration.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Minecraft grey goo.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The problem will be here that we're basically turning over the keys to editing reality (not mining, crafting, and building but editing reality) over to every individual player. Regardless of expertise, temperament, motivation or consideration.
I believe the tools are only available to designated OPs or admins.

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

We don't have command blocks enabled for our server. If we wanted to I could add some in. They can basically run any command an OP can, so you can use them to make transporters or traps that don't require pressure plates, along with pretty much anything you can think of.

Eriol

Eriol

I can see in creative mode how these things would be useful to fill up space or whatever. Or in "adventure" mode. Lots of uses, just not much for a survival map, since you can't legit GET those in survival anyways!

David

David

It'll be interesting to see what people come up for with skins now that you'll be able to add layers too.
I can finally be an ogre!

Eriol

Eriol

Also, remember that those commands will be able to be used by mods even without a block. So remember to trust your mods!

(goes to raid Dave's house)

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oh! I just remembered to finally post this.

IF you were the recipient of @Shakey's holiday generosity (ocelot egg) AND it was in a chest that he made and left there for you, THEN be careful...I discovered that the chest my egg came in was a trapped chest, which might be a bit of a surprise if you happen to plunk it down next to a redstone track, a door,...or even a TNT block. :eek:

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

:minionhappy:

figmentPez

figmentPez

GasBandit

GasBandit

Both: "What the... hell...?"

PatrThom

PatrThom

Dave

Dave

I....don't get it.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I....don't get it.
You got chocolate in my peanut butter!

You got peanut butter in my chocolate!

Dave

Dave

Ah. I guess it was too obvious. I was thinking it had to do with it being half eaten.

David

David

I was trying to find the pun. "Reeses... Skyrim... Minecraft... Reeses... HOW DOES IT FIT TOGETHER?"

Shakey

Shakey

Ah. I guess it was too obvious. I was thinking it had to do with it being half eaten.
Same here. I don't think I've seen a commercial with that saying in at least 20 years.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Separating the men from the boys, I guess.

If you listen carefully, you can hear @Dave in the background yelling at the animals to stop trampling through his rosebushes.

--Patrick

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

"Why did we bring Old Man Dave with us?"
"God said He owed Dave. Something about giving Him 'that great Big Bang idea.'"

Dave

Dave

I missed one little joke and Cheesy got scared. He said, "You're moving with your Auntie and Uncle in Bel Aire."

figmentPez

figmentPez

Is it just me, or do the Reese's in those ads look thicker than the ones available today?

David

David

I have no idea what you're talking about.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Nothing says "I love you, valentine" like a delicious half pound brick of cruelty chocolate.

drifter

drifter

Spent most of today in creative mode working on my design for the server. Still only about halfway through, but it's really starting to come together. Now if only I could get Minecraft Structure Planner to start working... :mad:

Dave

Dave

I think my village is a success. I mean, how many villagers does it take to be considered one? How's about this?

2014-01-18_11.03.31.png

I count 50. And that's not counting the 29 I found in the buildings adjacent or below me. As always, this is a rough count as the little buggers are running all over the damned place.

figmentPez

figmentPez

If I go back to playing, I'm probably going to try to trap my villagers in booths, so that they can't run around. No real need for them to be mobile if I can stop them.

PatrThom

PatrThom

FYI, new Java update if you haven't already been nagged to death about it.

The server should get updated, as well.

--Patrick

Shakey

Shakey

FYI, I upped the view distance to 9 again. Mobs seems to much more present again. 1.7 seems to have brought some weird bugs with mob spawning. Let me know how it goes. It doesn't seem to be too bad at night, and hopefully squid are easier to find.

Shakey

Shakey

1.8 seems to be a bit of a double edged sword right now. The new enchanting, skins, blocks, trading, and server optimizations all seem pretty cool. The problem is villagers will no longer breed on their own, which will suck if the old villagers have to be replaced to get the new trading system, and the iron farm will not be fully automatic, which will in turn increase lag when we now have a bunch of iron golems spawned waiting to be killed. I guess we'll see what shape it's in when it gets released.

grub

grub

I had a village started last night , some mods happened, it got invaded and now it is empty. is there a way to restore that chunk to last night? or do i need to start from scratch?

Dave

Dave

Mobs happened? Or were you on single play?

IN any event, you have to start over. If you like, I can drop by and see if I can make a villager or two.

Shakey

Shakey

Unfortunately I can't. We're running straight Vanilla, so there aren't any mods that I know of that let you restore only sections of a backup.

@Eriol, any idea when you'd like to raid the End?

grub

grub

Some mods were done to the village that let zombies and such in. Now they all burned.