Halforum Minecraft Server

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm on by myself and the build/interact lag is running into the seconds. I clipped 5 sheep before the first one's fleece disappeared. Minecarts are about the same speed as walking.

Wait so we're doing this again? I kind of want to get in on the ground floor this time.
Just let me know what your minecraft name is and I'll add you to the whitelist.

Fun times, someone unplugged the server and forgot where it was supposed to be plugged in to. So, it's completely down right now. I'm hoping to get to it soon. I just need a call back from someone else and I can get out of here.

Work! That's what I had to do instead of fixing the server today. Buncha crap. I'll be heading over to fix the server in about a half hour. I think I'll be putting labels on everything too...

the server seems to have reset to about a week ago. my village is empty and my mountain is more mountain-esque and less square

GasBandit

Staff member
... I'd just like to take this opportunity to emphasize the importance of automatic nightly backups.

The damage is not as small as I'd hoped but not as bad as I'd feared, I suppose. But I put in an abnormally large number of hours (for me) last weekend, and it's all been undone.

My best guess is when I rebooted the server on thursday cron didn't come up or something. The server runs in ram, which cron saves to disk. It also does my backups, neither of which must have happened since thursday.

When I asked someone to reboot the router today, they did a bit more than just reboot the router, which I had mentioned earlier and rebooted the server too. Which means the server didn't save all the changes in ram since thursday.

Fuck. I'm sorry guys.

If you guys need anything replaced, let me know. Through pm or whatever. Obviously I can't fix your diggings, but I'll do what I can to replace stuff you farmed.

Also, is it just me, or is anyone else having problems with right-click actions? Eating and shearing sheep have been exercises in frustration lately.

No problems there. I did a better job levelling my base this time. Maybe my new villagers will have better trades. Who knows?

I guess it was GOOD that I was away since a week ago monday, and thus am A-OK.

Sucks for the rest of you. Sorry guys. That is.. bad.

I guess it was GOOD that I was away since a week ago monday, and thus am A-OK.

Sucks for the rest of you. Sorry guys. That is.. bad.
Same here. Glad this happened the week when I was gone for 5 days. Looks like I only lost one level of digging. Whew!

--Patrick

Umm...can I request the addition of a friend of mine? He goes by the name "crankywizard" and I can vouch for his play-nice-ability, though he can be a bit of a digger.

--Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Please do me a favor and verify that the server's backing up ok..? I put in a laaahhhht of work this weekend I'd rather not have to redo. Heh. Thanks!

Please do me a favor and verify that the server's backing up ok..? I put in a laaahhhht of work this weekend I'd rather not have to redo. Heh. Thanks!
I'd like to point out that any admin should be able to issue the "save-all" command at any time to flush changes to disk.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd like to point out that any admin should be able to issue the "save-all" command at any time to flush changes to disk.

--Patrick
If what I read previously is an indication, the game is actually being run from a ramdrive, and a cron job copies it to HD each night. So save-all would only update the ramdrive.

We're good.
Save all copies what's in ram back to the hard disk, so if the server crashes as long as it's doing the save we shouldn't lose much of anything. I run it every half hour. So at most we should only lose 30 minutes of work. Then there is a full backup that goes once a day. All done by cron. Problem was I was gone and cron wasn't working and I had no idea none of it was going.

I wasn't sure whether the statement was that the entire thing was being run from a RAM drive or just in a VM.
Certainly can't hurt.

--Patrick