Halforum Minecraft Server

I restarted the server and mobs seem to be spawning. I didn't check before, but it's working now.[DOUBLEPOST=1387404931,1387404337][/DOUBLEPOST]If anyone wants to help test out the new server tonight, send me a pm. I was thinking tonight at about 6 or 7 central time. I'd like one person in the jungle, one in the nether, and a couple mining. Another exploring new areas would be nice too.

Pez is building something with sand/sandstone. Looks like most of the circle is up, so far.

I'm definitely going to look at how Dave's place has evolved, looks interesting.

Who's trying to replicate Kelethin over there by spawn?

I have donkeys!
I finally got around to making my nether portal accessible by horses and donkeys this morning. Also I finally finished the safe tunnel through the nether to the jungle portal. So if anyone feels like making a grand expedition there, you can now safely drag some donkeys or horses along for extra storage. It's not as purty as the tunnels @Eriol makes, but it gets the job done.

Is that a mushroom island I see? 12-19-2013 Map
Yep. You can get there through the nether now. It's a bit treacherous, hopefully we'll be able to build a tunnel to that too. I want one of those cows!

I look forward to seeing the modified Nether Tunnel to the jungle. I guess I "pioneer" a route, and you make it super-safe? Works for me.

I'll take the portal to mushroom island out of the depths soon. It popped at layer 17 or something (REALLY deep) but moving it to the surface shouldn't be too hard. Good luck at a "safe" path man. The Nether Fortresses I used to go there made it a LOT shorter to dig/build.

New resources in the Spawn Hut thanks to my Silk Touch shovel! Go now for Mycelium and Grass blocks! Mycelium is the only way to make giant mushrooms now (no you can't just bonemeal a mushroom on stone) and you don't need to "spread" grass blocks up, you can just plant one of these and you instantly have grass wherever you need it!

As for the new map, somebody took an epic "loop" east of Pez's island. Some new map generation there with a hole in the middle!

I look forward to seeing the modified Nether Tunnel to the jungle. I guess I "pioneer" a route, and you make it super-safe? Works for me.

I'll take the portal to mushroom island out of the depths soon. It popped at layer 17 or something (REALLY deep) but moving it to the surface shouldn't be too hard. Good luck at a "safe" path man. The Nether Fortresses I used to go there made it a LOT shorter to dig/build.
I think I can zig zag my way there. I don't hink I want to try to bridge it almost the whole way like I did going to the jungle. That was not all that fun.

As for the new map, somebody took an epic "loop" east of Pez's island. Some new map generation there with a hole in the middle!
I saw that. I don't know if someone built out there, or if it's a natural swamp hut that's out there.

figmentPez

Staff member
That was me. I was looking for wolves to adopt. Found a swamp with a witch's hut. I'll be going back there to look for slimes later.

Also found an extreme hills biome. Might go back there to build a mine.

Also found an extreme hills biome. Might go back there to build a mine.
Considering that the only thing in extreme hills that's not anywhere else is emeralds, I'd say just trade wheat or wool with villagers for emeralds. A lot more available that way than via mining IMO.

figmentPez

Staff member
Almost forgot, I found a spider spawner dungeon at
x: 1740
y: 57
z: 1093

I didn't take anything out of the chests, but it wasn't very interesting. A music disc (I don't remember which one), some string, some iron and maybe something else inconsequential.

Considering how I just couldn't get rid of slimes in my old server, I'm surprised we haven't run into any yet.

--Patrick

It seems to come and go. There've been a few mob-free nights, but I did see four zombies and a skeleton a few hours back.

still haven't found wolves, haven't seen any hostiles for a while, ran out of bones making bonemeal
If you look on the map, you'll see a bridge spanning the ocean to the north. Cross it and hug the western coastline until you reach the gigantic forest further north of there. That's where I found my wolves.

There is a posted bug (#2536) which says that dialing down the render distance too far will also impact the number of mobs that spawn (presumably since hostile mobs will only spawn beyond a certain radius from a player).
Increasing the render distance a bit may help (I think I have it at 8 on my server).

--Patrick

There is a posted bug (#2536) which says that dialing down the render distance too far will also impact the number of mobs that spawn (presumably since hostile mobs will only spawn beyond a certain radius from a player).
Increasing the render distance a bit may help (I think I have it at 8 on my server).

--Patrick
Huh. I was wondering if that's what it was. It's at 7 now. I'll bump it up to 8 again.

I get frustrated too easily by lag so I'm basically waiting for the server move at this point. <3
I think it's all ready to go. Maybe early next week I'll bring it live.

figmentPez

Staff member
Considering that the only thing in extreme hills that's not anywhere else is emeralds, I'd say just trade wheat or wool with villagers for emeralds. A lot more available that way than via mining IMO.
Do we have villagers anywhere?

Yes there are villagers nearby. Also I have been attacked by zombie villagers on multiple occasions (if someone wants to whip up the means to cure them).

--Patrick

I really wanted a mushroom cow... Should be a safe nether passage to the mushroom island. There is a small section at the end that is open, but that's it.

Moooooo.

I may have been playing for too long tonight.

Mooooooo.

I think south west of spawn in the desert is a little town. Maybe a good project would be a housing complex near spawn.
*snicker*

You guys really need to start inspecting the maps better. Hint: start by looking for a nether portal 'cause I'm lazy, but not willing to cheat teleporting.

Hopefully he found the way! I don't think I marked the reroute I did.
Shakey, you are certifiably insane. That new route... holy crap. In particular the "skyway" of netherrack that's diagonally up across the lava from the portal is just beyond nuts. I don't want to think of the quantity of materials you went through, both mining and construction.

Shakey, you are certifiably insane. That new route... holy crap. In particular the "skyway" of netherrack that's diagonally up across the lava from the portal is just beyond nuts. I don't want to think of the quantity of materials you went through, both mining and construction.
I didn't use very much on this route other than picks. I didn't keep track, but I'm pretty sure I used more than 20 of them. The hardest was finding a good route. I actually got 28 levels just from mining it all out. Got a good amount of quartz too.

The jungle route had one hell of a bridge where I had to turn up the speakers to make sure I could hear ghasts if they showed up.

My buddy and I built a cobblestone bridge 3 spaces above a huuuuge lava lake in the server. It started on Skype, tracking our coordinates until we were juuuust a block apart and directly across from one another. Then we started backing a double-wide swath of cobblestone from our respective sides that was more than 64 blocks long (know it was more than one stack, less than two), all the while watching out for ghasts so we didn't get blasted off the bridge and into the lava below. We passed each other headed in opposite directions as planned and then went back and put up the roof. It was some of the tensest, most rewarding time we spend in that server.

--Patrick

does anyone want me to drop redstone dust off at spawn chest? I only need a couple stacks since I have no idea how to use it other then making lamps.