Halforum Minecraft Server

About 50% done with clearing out the water. Going to start building a bit of the spawning platform. Though I wonder if I should just keep the temple the way it is, and just make a spot where they spawn down to a killing chamber instead of building a giant one. Anyways here is a picture of the progress of the Guardian temple. =)

2015-01-09_20.05.41.png

Thanks Pez. The bad thing as I clear out more water the spawn of the guardians increases. One pocket had about 16 of those buggers which killed me in a bit as I had no way to escape. Going to clear out the bottom to start the collection area and storage system. If anyone has some ideas for an outer wall design, send your ideas. I was thinking of mixing prismarine and iron with glass blocks.

Finished clearing all the water and leveling the floor. 99% of the temple is gone and now need to work on the walls and spawning platform. This thing took a whole lot longer than the iron farm, and this is still not operational! O.0 Oh well.
If there is any need for building supplies or any type of block I have some 18 full chests from the deconstruction. Then I should have a whole lot of sand when the walls come up. The portal is located after Shakey's lighthouse in the nether, signs are posted.

2015-01-18_21.08.53.png
2015-01-18_21.39.22.png

Finished clearing all the water and leveling the floor. 99% of the temple is gone and now need to work on the walls and spawning platform. This thing took a whole lot longer than the iron farm, and this is still not operational! O.0 Oh well.
If there is any need for building supplies or any type of block I have some 18 full chests from the deconstruction. Then I should have a whole lot of sand when the walls come up. The portal is located after Shakey's lighthouse in the nether, signs are posted.
Aussie, your definition of mega project is a LOT bigger than mine.

Well done.

I have resigned myself to being a Minecraft widow.
I went to bed at about 1am yesterday because I was playing Diablo.
Kati came to bed about an hour later...because she's getting back into Minecraft again, and has decided to finish her creation of Minecraft representations of all the towns in HoMM3.

--Patrick

Started clearing an are for a witch farm. I have started it as a three level spawner, hopefully it will work otherwise it just be a witch/mob farm. Also marked out the 60 and 120 block area to start clearing out to increase spawn rates. If anyone wants to jump in to do some cathartic digging its at 1400 by -900.

Also about 2/3 done with the walls and afk zone for the guardian farm. That is a major project which it works, but still needs work to increase the rates enough.

Finished with some Major lighting and building the AFK platform for the witch farm. Slow rates still for it as I think that I need to remove some more land. Otherwise there is a minecart elevator that takes you up to the top. To get out without falling you have to click on the second minecart, and you can get safely out. If you fall there is water.
So far a stack of gs, rs, and 1/2 of gp. There are some other mob drops, as I don't think that I got all the spawning spaces completely blocked off. It works, and while I was lighting the underground I found two mob spawners together. A zed, and spider spawners. Both within five blocks of each other. Coords are 1400 by -1025. Nether portal will be up when I collect more obsidian. Later.

2015-03-05_21.59.31.png

Instead of "crazy person," you could also have just said, "artist."

But that's not why I'm posting here. I came here to post the following:
Announcing: Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta
You’ll recognise some Pocket Edition features in Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta [including the ability to] Play online and local multiplayer with [up to 7] other Pocket Edition players thanks to a free update
Huh? I'm not sure if this means the "native" Win10 version will just be a glorified "Minecraft PE Server" edition (a true fork) or whether it'll have any legs. I'm-a hold onto my Java version juuuust in case.

--Patrick

I'm hoping it means you can play online with friends without needing to set up a server. That would be great.

I'm hoping it means you can play online with friends without needing to set up a server. That would be great.
You can already do this since v1.3 with the "open to LAN" option. v1.3 rewrote the game code so that a single-player game would actually be client/server but within the same machine, clicking that button just opens the internal server up to anyone else on your LAN, or even to anyone else on the Internet if you configure your external router to forward the proper port.

--Patrick

Open to LAN is easy, open to anyone else on the internet actually takes work. If they handle the backend for me, it makes me happier. :p

Open to LAN is easy, open to anyone else on the internet actually takes work. If they handle the backend for me, it makes me happier. :p
The way routers work, they can't. That's just an Internet thing.
...unless your personal computer is connected directly to an Internet IP address which is really, REALLY not recommended. That's why the whole "realms" thing was instituted, so you could create a world that wasn't hidden behind your router and would be out there where everyone could get to it.

--Patrick

There are plenty of ways to implement online multiplayer that are more convenient than the current system if you don't want to set up a permanent server. Realms are all well and good, but sometimes you just want to screw around on a map with your friends at the click of a button and no other effort or $15 monthly fee required.

Really, it would be nice if they could have the multiplayer stuff work like it does for Xbox or PlayStation essentially.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
There are plenty of ways to implement online multiplayer that are more convenient than the current system if you don't want to set up a permanent server. Realms are all well and good, but sometimes you just want to screw around on a map with your friends at the click of a button and no other effort or $15 monthly fee required.

Really, it would be nice if they could have the multiplayer stuff work like it does for Xbox or PlayStation essentially.
And that's why multiplayer for consoles generally costs a subscription fee - because to accomplish that through routers, you have to maintain matchmaking servers through which people connect to each other.

But at the same time, there are plenty of PC games that maintain such things for free. Microsoft should be able to make it happen IMO.

Really my point is "Too many parents still don't know how things like servers work, so make the game more individually multiplayer friendly."

But yes, should and will.

Realms are all well and good, but sometimes you just want to screw around on a map with your friends at the click of a button and no other effort or $15 monthly fee required.
Agreed, but like @GasBandit says, this would require the creation and maintenance of a server that lives out on the public Internet, and you can't get one of those without paying some kind of recurring fee to Microsoft, to Mojang, to some sort of colocation facility, or to a virtual server vendor (like Rackspace). There's no way to do that for free.
When I say, "That's just how the Internet works," I'm not talking about the whole "Money makes the world go 'round" sort of "works." I mean that your two computers (yours and your friends) have no way to find each other and share info across the Internet without configuring your router to allow other computers to come in (which is decidedly non-parent-y), or else you pay someone to set up either a public matchmaking service (like Xbox Live) or an independent public server running Minecraft for you and your friend to both join.

--Patrick

I know how the internet works. Just so we are clear. I know how to set up servers, I know how routers work, etc, etc. I am talking about dreams of what "works like pocket edition" means.

I am talking about dreams of what "works like pocket edition" means.
Wasn't sure you knew, and agreed. I want to see an interface where they can all talk to one another seamlessly, whether it's PE or not, and it "should" be possible, if they want to spend the time to do it, that is.
I'm just worried that this will lead to things getting more and more fragmented by platform/OS/features/support, diluting the game to the point where it dies the death of a thousand screams, and I don't want that.

--Patrick

I'm just worried that this will lead to things getting more and more fragmented by platform/OS/features/support, diluting the game to the point where it dies the death of a thousand screams, and I don't want that.

--Patrick
It looks like they are trying to do the opposite. Consolidate the Windows version to be compatible with all the others. Maybe I didn't catch it, but will it be compatible with the java version?

It looks like they are trying to do the opposite. Consolidate the Windows version to be compatible with all the others. Maybe I didn't catch it, but will it be compatible with the java version?
They trumpet the fact that it will be compatible with the pocket edition, but they don't say anything about the Java/PC version except to say that if you already own the Java/PC version then you can download the WinX version for free. That, to me, sounds more likely that it will not be compatible.

--Patrick

They trumpet the fact that it will be compatible with the pocket edition, but they don't say anything about the Java/PC version except to say that if you already own the Java/PC version then you can download the WinX version for free. That, to me, sounds more likely that it will not be compatible.

--Patrick
That's what I thought. Hopefully it will be. I would be ok with a pe edition for all versions and a version for pc's that allows for more customization.