Halforum Minecraft Server

In other Minecraft News, cross-platform play confirmed at E3. Win10, Xbox, VR, Android, iOS, and Switch (yes, Nintendo) are all going to be able to play on each others' servers. I can't find information about dedicated servers (that "normal" people run I mean) though I swear I read that somewhere, but can't find it anymore. And 4k support on the new Xbox and Win10. Also, those editions will all be called "Minecraft" rather than "Minecraft [Blah] Edition" and the game formerly known as Minecraft will be called Minecraft: Java Edition.

And Sony is being Sony: Sony “refused” to join Minecraft cross-play, Microsoft would “love to have” PS4 on board This doesn't surprise me, since as I said, Sony is Sony, but it's most surprising that they got NINTENDO on board, but not Sony. That itself is a minor miracle.

So... ya. There's the E3 news for Minecraft.

There's the E3 news for Minecraft.
Ah but you left out the other bit of news, about the Super Duper Graphics Update.
sdgu.gif

Not sure how I feel about segregating the java version. I don't know how that's going to affect my ability to host a server, generate maps, and all that stuff.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Really, Java is one of minecraft's great strengths but also its biggest weakness. It makes it work on any platform, but it makes it work like shit on any platform. Imagine the improvements that could be made with executables compiled from actual code, like C# and Assembler. Imagine being able to actually make good use of modern GPUs, instead of hogging all the CPU all the time.

Last edited:
Really, Java is one of minecraft's great strengths but also its biggest weakness. It makes it work on any platform, but it makes it work like shit on any platform. Imagine the improvements that could be made with executables compiled from actual code, like C# and Assembler. Imagine being able to actually make good use of modern GPUs, instead of hogging all the CPU all the time.
Dude, you are fluent in many things, but don't venture into software engineering stuff like this. I can make C++ perform like shit, and Java be smooth as silk. C++ is awesome for most things, and my favorite, but you would never have the mods you have if not for Java. In general though, the skill (or lack thereof) has WAY more to do with performance than language until you get equally skilled people at a very high level. THEN the compiled languages take the prize, but not for most things.

And C# is MUCH closer to Java than C++ in terms of what the language is. Now that they're trying .NET native, it will approach C++ speeds maybe, but both it and Java have been "compiling as they go" to machine language for a while now. Did you typo above and meant C++?

GasBandit

Staff member
Dude, you are fluent in many things, but don't venture into software engineering stuff like this. I can make C++ perform like shit, and Java be smooth as silk. C++ is awesome for most things, and my favorite, but you would never have the mods you have if not for Java. In general though, the skill (or lack thereof) has WAY more to do with performance than language until you get equally skilled people at a very high level. THEN the compiled languages take the prize, but not for most things.

And C# is MUCH closer to Java than C++ in terms of what the language is. Now that they're trying .NET native, it will approach C++ speeds maybe, but both it and Java have been "compiling as they go" to machine language for a while now. Did you typo above and meant C++?
Yes, I meant C++. /headdesk. IT'S MONDAY GIMME A BREAK

I imagine that for most things. I just know that commercial entities aren't willing to invest the resources to make it run equally well on all platforms, because they're not going to want to build a team large enough to simultaneously optimize it for Windows, macOS, RHEL, Java, XBox, Switch, iOS, Android, Metal, OpenGL, DirectX, Vulkan, CUDA, PhysX, etc., etc.
I can make C++ perform like shit
There's probably a secret compiler flag for that, --SucksBalls or something.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
I so wanted to kill off someone's cows. I need the leather and there's NO cows where I'm at. I did steal some chick eggs, though.

I so wanted to kill off someone's cows. I need the leather and there's NO cows where I'm at. I did steal some chick eggs, though.
Assuming you're on the square island south of spawn with the stone wall around it, I left you a couple cows. Hope I didn't ruin the fun of fetching them yourself.

Also, I did some exploring and found a rather large village around -200, -150 and a witch hut near 350, 50 that borders an ocean, so some of the work of building a witch farm would be done (assuming someone wanted to do that).

I have yet to claim a place, though. Maybe next time I hop on.

Dave

Staff member
How the hell did you do that? Did you really have cows follow you that far? That's insane. Appreciated, but insane.

I went south, crossed the ocean, built a small house, decided I hated that spot and abandoned it. So if you find a small house in the snow with a couple of sheep in the yard, consider it a safe house. ;) I'm all the way out at -3600, and I won't use it.

I holed up in a little pocket right near spawn. I hope to go exploring, but probably not until I get some more supplies in my pack.

--Patrick

@Dirona and I are North-west of spawn, north beyond where Matt is. You can see us on the map as a hut, and some crops north, and east a bit. Pretty obvious if anybody is in the area.

Cranky would just like to say that somebody musta done a hella lotta exploring today. The map has grown three sizes today.

--Patrick

Cranky would just like to say that somebody musta done a hella lotta exploring today. The map has grown three sizes today.

--Patrick
Weird. Looks "somewhat" the same as yesterday. @Dei I think was doing the "port 7k" achievement, and thus explored a lot. I think. But don't hold me to that.

Btw, I fenced and lit the village NW of spawn. There are a few gates if you look for them. If I missed any areas to be lit, feel free to fix it up.

Weird. Looks "somewhat" the same as yesterday. @Dei I think was doing the "port 7k" achievement, and thus explored a lot. I think. But don't hold me to that.

Btw, I fenced and lit the village NW of spawn. There are a few gates if you look for them. If I missed any areas to be lit, feel free to fix it up.
It was actually my husband. I just mooched. I've been digging a big hole. Incidentally, if anyone wants that travel achievement, there's a rail to the far portal.[DOUBLEPOST=1497838297,1497838258][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, there's nether fortress over by it as well.

Dave

Staff member
Found the blaze spawner. When you get to the fortress, take two right turns and you'll find stairs down. Follow the torches to the spawner. I got 9 blaze rods and killed 3 wither skeletons (no heads) but ran out of arrows so I got the hell out. And that was an adventure since it was ghast mating season or some shit.

Found the blaze spawner. When you get to the fortress, take two right turns and you'll find stairs down. Follow the torches to the spawner. I got 9 blaze rods and killed 3 wither skeletons (no heads) but ran out of arrows so I got the hell out. And that was an adventure since it was ghast mating season or some shit.
:eek:

BTW, Shields block blaze shots, so you can make do without a bow as long as you don't get surrounded.

Just want to thank @Shakey for including the names of the mods he's running (Spigot, Dynmap) so I could source them and get them working on my own server. Now I will finally not have to listen to the pleading of people wanting to know when the newest map will be available.
Now I just have to wait for that initial render to complete (on a 2.26GHz dual-core), might take a while...

--Patrick