[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

figmentPez

Staff member
This is my current Paladin arena deck. Right now it's 8 - 0, and I'm sure I'm going to start getting stomped any time now, but I'm enjoying this being the most wins I've ever gotten. Especially since I have no AOE spells, and very little card draw. Honestly, I think it's mostly been lucky draws.

Hearthstone_Screenshot_12.28.2014 Paladin Arena Deck currently 8-0.png

figmentPez

Staff member
Got to play my Blingtron 3000 for the first time outside arena. It gave both me and my opponent Doomhammers. Whoops. Though, I was a Rogue, so I could Deadly Poison it, and that allowed me to nearly come from behind. I was one point of damage from winning.

Got to play my Blingtron 3000 for the first time outside arena. It gave both me and my opponent Doomhammers. Whoops. Though, I was a Rogue, so I could Deadly Poison it, and that allowed me to nearly come from behind. I was one point of damage from winning.
That's why you run Harrison with it!

The last time I played blingtron, it gave me a Gorehowl (score!) and gave my opponent a light's justice... which then gave me three cards next turn when it was traded to a museum.

figmentPez

Staff member
That's why you run Harrison with it!

The last time I played blingtron, it gave me a Gorehowl (score!) and gave my opponent a light's justice... which then gave me three cards next turn when it was traded to a museum.
1. I don't have a Harrison. 2. That would be way too slow for my Rogue deck.

I could run an ooze or two, but I'd rather just have fun with Blingtron being a gamble.

figmentPez

Staff member
Ugh, can people with expensive decks that are copies of ladder-ready decks refrain from playing casual with them? I realize that you play your Tirion/Bolvar/Sneeds filled copy-of-Trump's-Paladin-deck so poorly that you nearly lost to me with my mish-mash of a Mage deck, but is your ego so small that you can't even face finding out that you'll only rank in the teens with that beast of a deck of yours?

Ugh, can people with expensive decks that are copies of ladder-ready decks refrain from playing casual with them? I realize that you play your Tirion/Bolvar/Sneeds filled copy-of-Trump's-Paladin-deck so poorly that you nearly lost to me with my mish-mash of a Mage deck, but is your ego so small that you can't even face finding out that you'll only rank in the teens with that beast of a deck of yours?
There are way too many people who are like I AM SPENDING SO MUCH MONEY I SHOULD BE WINNING out there, and yes it really is annoying to play against them. Sometimes they take so long between moves it's like they're researching the proper play in a guide...like a bot.

--Patrick

Well, on the flip side of that, why are you so upset over what people play in casual mode? It's not like losses in that matter. Lots of people use it as a testing ground to run new decks to get a feel for how they need to be tweaked (though I personally do all my testing in ranked)

figmentPez

Staff member
Well, on the flip side of that, why are you so upset over what people play in casual mode? It's not like losses in that matter. Lots of people use it as a testing ground to run new decks to get a feel for how they need to be tweaked (though I personally do all my testing in ranked)
Because I want an even shot of being able to win a game and complete my quests. I don't mind facing off against powerful cards, if they're in a deck that's not known to be optimized for ranked play. I faced off against a druid the other day who had a few legendaries, including a Blingtron followed up by a Harrison Jones the next turn. I was fine with that because it was deck that obviously wasn't already known to be played in the legendary ranks. I even ended up winning because my own Blingtron tipped the scales back in my favor, but I would have lost if he'd drawn more taunt, even just one Ancient of War.

If that Paladin deck I lost to weren't obviously a copy of a ranked-ready deck, I wouldn't mind nearly as much. Any tweaking to a deck that polished has to be tweaked against the current meta on the ladder, and you can't find out what that meta is by playing casual. I just want to play some fun games with a chance of finishing my quests so I can buy some more cards. If you've already bought all the cards you need to make a perfect deck, then why play casual, other than to be a dick to people who just want some fun?

This is why I usually play ranked, because I have a better chance of being squared off against decks with similar capabilities. The problem I ran into is that my Druid deck has been doing a lot better than my Mage or Paladin decks, so if I want to complete my Mage/Paladin quest, I'd have to lose a lot at ranked (currently 12, which is a lot higher than I usually am) to fall down to where my other decks fit, or try casual.

A quest to dominate as Rogue has lead me to crafting one of my favorite decks to date.

I never played much Rogue. Handlock and control warrior are my bread and butters, but I did play a bit of Miracle back when it was a thing. I quite enjoyed it, it was very methodical and cerebral, and I managed a pretty fun variation using wisps and Edwin. But with the nerfs to Gadgetzan Auctioneer and Leeroy, Miracle is kinda dead, with only a few niche OTK decks using Malygos cheese remaining. So that got me thinking, without the auctioneers, the leeroy, the concelas, the shadowsteps, or the other cards that all went into the miracle build of draw your entire deck for a huge combo turn, that leaves quite a bit of room to build a more traditional midrange deck, but with the same tempo power of miracle.

What is tempo? Tempo is forcing your opponent to react to you rather than you reacting to him. Any time your opponent starts his turn with no minions facing your minions, you have a tempo advantage, because your minions will be able to act before the ones he plays will. Why is Rogue good at this? Because of cards like backstab, preparation, SI:7 agent, deadly poison, these all allow for cheap removal to keep board control while being able to play at or above your mana curve. The rogue hero ability is also great for this. You might not think that being able to stab for 1 damage is all that great, I mean druids can do that, and they gain effective health at the same time, and mages can do it without any health loss whatsoever. But what makes rogues unique is that their ability not only effects the current turn, it carries over into the following turn. That would be like a mage gaining 2 extra mana every other turn to be able to fireblast one more time. Miracle was always very good at getting to midgame so they could start up their combo, so now the goal is to get to midgame to play... well, midgame. Instead of giving a full decklist (because it depends a lot on what you're facing a lot of, and you can easily look up old miracle decks for the core) I'm instead going to focus on notable cards.

Notable cards:

Violet Teacher - 6 mana Gadgetzan is unplayable, but you still have lots of spells flying around for little to no cost, and that makes the 4 mana violet teacher worthwhile. Worse case scenario, you don't play any spells with her and she's a slightly worse yeti. Best case scenario, and one that happens very often, you get a slightly worse yeti and an army of 1/1's. Sure, they might get AOE'd down, but you're forcing your opponent to react to your threat, and if they can't, that's super value. They offer pressure starting at turn 4, and are just all around good in this deck.

Big Game Hunter - Meta decision tech card. Lots of handlocks out there still, and even against zoo the edition of a 4/2 body for 3 isn't bad, especially since a lot of zoo are now running a sea giant in their deck.

Bloodmage Thalnos/Kobold Geomancer - I run one of each. If I could run two Thalnoses, I would. If I didn't have Thalnos, I would totally run two geomancers. These are never used as a body on the board, but instead are used for their boost to spellpower, and since they're cheap at only 2 mana, can also start combos. They combine very well with backstab, shiv, blade flurry (if you already have a deadly poison set up, one of these combined with blade flurry is a 4 mana FLAMESTRIKE that also hits face) and fan of knives.

Fan of Knives/Blade Flurry - Zoo and facehunter are out there, and even some new army of ones Paladin variants. These cards make them cry, and combined with spellpower even beefier minions can be taken out in mass. Fan also draws a card, that's win/win.

Azure Drake - An old favorite makes a return, used here for the 4/4 body, extra card draw, and the aforementioned bonuses that spell power give you. Seriously, spellpower is amazing with this deck, and the 4/4 body is a nice threat.

Sabotage - a 4 mana assassinate that can't be targeted, but with your other cheap spells you can usually take out anything weak that you wouldn't want to waste an assassinate on. When combo'd, it even destroys that truesilver champion that darn Paladin is holding. One of only two GvG cards I'm currently using, I just run 1 because I already have a lot of ways to take out threats. Also of note: preparation makes this card free, and auto-combos for free weapon removal.

Sludge Belcher - almost an auto-include in most mid-range decks, and still good here.

Dr. Boom - the other GvG card in this deck. Dr. Boom is just too good not to include. Is it turn 7? Are you holding Dr. Boom? Then you play Dr. Boom. One of the only GvG legendaries I've crafted, since he's just too good, I naturally recently opened ANOTHER of him to punish me for my impatience. Oh well, maybe he'll get nerfed and I'll get 3200 dust out of it.

Ragnaros - Are you playing a midrange deck? Do you have Ragnaros? Yeah, you know what to do.

Sprint - I run one, because it is sometimes super awesome. With a prep, it's draw 4 cards for 4 mana, and without a prep, sometimes you find yourself somehow out-controlled and into a topdeck battle. Sprint is the perfect card to draw you swing things back into your favor. This also gives even more card draw to a combo heavy deck (total card draw: shiv, fan of knives, thalnos, azure drake, sprint)

Possible Editions: Cards I've thought about but haven't included.

Edwin Van Cleef - I love Edwin, and since this is a combo heavy deck, he could very well pose a big threat even early on. But with GvG bringing about a lot of new card effects, owls have become almost auto-include in a lot of decks, and at current I don't have anything that's really silenceable outside of removing spellpower (which would be a waste of an owl) or removing belcher's deathrattle and taunt. Edwin makes you vulnerable to owl, and I don't like that.

Trade Prince Gallywix - A fun card, leads to a more control-oriented game, but one I just don't think is right for this deck. While it does give you free spells, you already have a lot of spells at your disposal, and it also effectively makes all of your opponent's spells cost 1 less mana, which can be very dangerous. If you're super worried about spells, Loatheb or Troggzor might make better replacements. Loatheb I feel is a bit weaker, as it requires you to already have threats on the board to get the most value (ie they can't remove those threats with spells) whereas Troggzor has a persistent effect, and gains value even if he only spawns one trogg before getting obliterated. Though, again, Troggzor and Gallywix can both be neutralized with an owl, Loatheb can't... hard call. I might come back to these at some point.

Loatheb/Troggzor - see above

I was also kinda hoping that the wall of text I just posted would inspire people to talk about their decks, and their reasons behind them.

figmentPez

Staff member
This is my current Paladin arena deck. Right now it's 8 - 0, and I'm sure I'm going to start getting stomped any time now, but I'm enjoying this being the most wins I've ever gotten. Especially since I have no AOE spells, and very little card draw. Honestly, I think it's mostly been lucky draws.
I'm now 10 - 1. I've got at most 3 games left for this deck. I don't think I can play any more today, though. It feels pretty stressful this high up in the rankings.

figmentPez

Staff member
Opening a pack today I saw the orange glow of a legendary. I was surprised that I got a third GvG legendary so soon, but it was just another Blingtron.

Playing shaman vs handlock, both his moltens have been dealt with (they were turned to frogs) and he's down to 8 hp. I've got a fire elemental and a harvest golem on the board, exactly 8 damage. Lethal next turn unless he can stop me.

Warlock: I AM MAL'GANIS! I AM ETERN~

Me: Earthshock

Warlock: ...

Installing ...

Probably gonna hate it, but at least then I'll have played Halforums top 5 Games of the Year, and not Alien Isolation.[DOUBLEPOST=1420308450,1420307930][/DOUBLEPOST]Yup, it's Magic the Gathering.

Yup, it's Magic the Gathering.
No, it's not. It's a CCG, sure, but the number of card types is reduced, there is only one color of mana, players are prohibited from playing cards when it is not their turn, there are no Planeswalkers, there is no way to recycle your deck (by design, I'm sure), there is a limit to the number of cards in hand and minions in play, you cannot discard, and all cards are removed from the game once played/eliminated rather than going to a graveyard.

It's almost the CCG equivalent of Euchre.

--Patrick

I've never played MtG or any other CCG.

I started playing hearthstone this morning. 5 Hours ago. My god, what have I done?
So long as you haven't spent any actual money, then all you've done is trade time for entertainment.
...which is not so bad, in moderation.

--Patrick

Everyone mad my decks are all pay2win
Eh, I don't see the need.
It's one thing to not pay and lose to superior decks. Patience.
It's another thing to pay and win with your superior deck. Sacrifice money for speed.
What's enraging is going up against someone who pays2win but loses because they have no technique. That's a waste of my time.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Opened another pack today. First pack since I opened my second Blingtron. This pack had another legendary. It was a second Flame Leviathan. That is some high level trolling Blizzard. (Thanks for another 400 dust though.)

Opened another pack today. First pack since I opened my second Blingtron. This pack had another legendary. It was a second Flame Leviathan. That is some high level trolling Blizzard. (Thanks for another 400 dust though.)
This early into the expansion, I'd have kept it. I have two Gazlowes and two Dr. Booms, and I'm keeping them all for the time being. If either gets nerfed or otherwise adjusted in a patch, they get their full disenchant value.

figmentPez

Staff member
This early into the expansion, I'd have kept it. I have two Gazlowes and two Dr. Booms, and I'm keeping them all for the time being. If either gets nerfed or otherwise adjusted in a patch, they get their full disenchant value.
Oh, I haven't actually dusted it yet. I just think those two are highly unlikely to get nerfs. Dr. Boom, however, seems very likely to get some sort of adjustment.

figmentPez

Staff member
12 Wins! YES!
Hearthstone_Screenshot_1.6.2015 _ 12 Win Arena A.png
Hearthstone_Screenshot_1.6.2015 _ 12 Win Arena B.png
Hearthstone_Screenshot_1.6.2015 _ 12 Win Arena C.png

I was nervous going into that last game, but I ended up winning at a walk. I just stomped all over my opponent's board with two Scarlet Purifiers hitting 3 deathrattle minions between them.

figmentPez

Staff member
Played to games today with my new Unstable Portal. Got Armorsmith in my first, and Onyxia in my second. Both helped me win the game.

I wonder what will be done to nerf the card. Technically nothing visible would have to be done, it says random but that doesn't necessarily mean there's an even chance of getting any given minion. I know that's the assumption that most people make when talking about the card, but it could be tweaked to make the odds of getting really powerful cards lower. Though I guess doing so quietly would hurt the games reputation if it were found out, they'd have to be transparent about it, especially given how many cards are random in a similar fashion.