[Gaming] Hey Halforums, what's the worst game you've purchased?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean full price 60 dollaresque game too not some lowly ass 2 dollar indie title that happens to be terrible.

Right now, for me, I'm probably going to have to go with Dragon Age 2 but the more I think about it, the more I'll probably end up with some of the complete trash I got suckered into buying during the Playstation era when I was working and could buy my own games.

Modern Warfare 2. People kept raving about it and so forth. Finally caved and got it. It was just yet another bland shooter. I had more fun with Counter Strike.

If DA2 and MW2 are the *worst* you've bought, you guys have a pretty awesome collection.

I'm going to have to go with the old MMO "Horizons". Had great promise, playable dragons, cool crafting system, expect it was laggy and buggy to hell.

I don't buy a lot of games but when I do it's usually can't miss titles.

I could see how many people would post Dragon Age 2 though.

Thank god I was too hyped up and actually played the demo and was like ":Leyla: is this?"

I'd probably go with Resident Evil 5... not a full 60$ but my friend convinced me to play the coop at 30$. I immediately regretted my decision an hour into the game.

PC version of Resident Evil 4. To say it's a shitty console port is an insult to fecal matter everywhere.

Hmmm, not "worst game", because I'm sure it's a great game, but just "game I liked the least", probably Fallout: New Vegas. I don't know why, but I've tried playing all of the Fallout (I even have tactics on GOG), and I've never gotten into any one of them. The post-apocalyptic setting doesn't work for me or something; I'll just keep playing fantasy...

I could list a whole bunch that I got on the steam sales, but as far as full retail suckage, I'd have to say Dawn of War 2. I was expecting an RTS but got capture the flag with a few units.

I almost never buy a game without "testing" it first...

But if i'd have to go with one it would be Black&White... it wasn't bad, but in classic Molineaux style it only did half the stuff advertised...

HoMM4 was also bugged to hell for months after i bought it, but i liked it enough to reload over and over after each crash (with the sound off it would only crash after very big battles, and i used auto-combat after the crash), so def not the worst...

RE4 - Game interested me somewhat due to critical acclaim but not enough for early purchase. Patiently checked reviews and saw the shit port issues a mile away then dismissed the game altogether.

Fallout : New Vegas - Loved Fallout... so this game should be as good, right? Welp, buggy release. Worse than usual QA from Bethesda. Still nothing comparable to the rest of the list. Community mods made this game awesome though.

Modern Warfare 3 - I expected trash. Was trash. Friends tried to convince me to play, said nope. Watching a few minute of MP of run and gun deathmatch makes me sad... especially when thinking of the good ol' days with Enemy Territory or RTCW.

Champions Online - Expected MMO trash, was MMO trash. Lots of MMO trash out there. Remember Age of Conan?

Spore - Was unsure, waited for reviews... noticed that it smelled funny. Got a "free test version"... yep, crappy game with few bright spots.

D&D Blood and Magic

It was an RTS, but was not advertised as such. I was hoping for a hack and slash game and got a steaming CD of crap.

I'll also add Fallout: New Vegas to my list. Got it for PS3, bugs made it frustratingly unplayable. I'd never had a console game that I can remember just randomly lock up on me before that game.

The Sims Medieval. Was itching for a Sims fix and bought it on an impulse. Was fun for a little while but definitely not worth the whole retail price I paid, especially since the price dropped on Steam just weeks after I bought it in the store, and the retail copy doesn't even give me the option for Steam activation.

.hack//Outbreak. Not because it's a bad game. Hell, I don't have a clue if it's bad or not. I bought this the same time I bought //Mutation, thinking I'd move on once I beat Mutation (It's a 4-game trilogy that lets you transfer your character data to the next game after you beat the last. Basically one big multi-disk RPG where they sold you the game disks seperately). Never beat Mutation, so paid the extra $50 for a game I never touched.

Mass Effect 3- bought the Collectors Edition for 70€ (85$) just to find out that the DLC is totaly moot.

Warhammer Online- European servers where terribly skewed. 90% were on the Chaos side and after 2 months everybody stopped playing.

That sentence makes no sense.
Did I use a wrong word? I tried to imply that the DLC (the one where you get the extra crewmember) that you get with the collectors edition dosnt have any impact on the story other then add a few cutscenes ,which are without importance.

Did I use a wrong word? I tried to imply that the DLC (the one where you get the extra crewmember) that you get with the collectors edition dosnt have any impact on the story other then add a few cutscenes ,which are without importance.
Moot means debatable, so yeah, it was just the wrong choice of word.

I'll second Black&White. All the reviews praised the game's replay factor, and the thing was the most boring game ever after about 5 minutes.

It's debatably the right word. If there's no reason to have DLC, DLC is moot. It's awkward but valid.

Discussing it may be moot, but the DLC itself isn't moot.
moot

open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful: a moot point.
of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic.
Chiefly Law . not actual; theoretical; hypothetical.

Necronic

Staff member
I rarely purchase games that I'm not 100% about. Pretty much never to be honest. The only two games I've regretted buying were:

Demigod - Terribad release. Stardock may be my absolute favorite developer, so I assumed demigod would be amazing. It was....ok. Turns out stardock didn't develop it, just published it.

WoW - I had a lot of fun with this game, I'm not going to lie, but when I saw what happened with the first major expansion I realized how terrible the mudflation would go, and then saw how they started homogonizing everything in a policy of appeasement (that's right, I went there). So, while it was fun, the amount of time I invested in it, only to see everything start going down an unsustainable path made me pretty furious. It was like hiking to the top of a mountain for the beautiful vista, only to find a McDonalds and a Super Walmart there.

But it has no practical significance because it's not adding anything of value.:wololo:

Like my reply above, hah!

Status
Not open for further replies.