[Gaming] Hey Halforums, what's the worst game you've purchased?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was far more a traditional RTS than DoW 2.
At the time it was about as big a departure as DoW2 is from DoW1 (no resource gathering units, individual upgrades, heroes you can attach to squads etc.)...

What i'm getting at is that your expectations where really misplaced...

Especially since most of the fanbase where asking for more CoH like stuff in the sequel...

Again, I know some people like that style of game. I personally hate it, and wasn't expecting it at all. It's a radical departure from the first game. I'm funny like that, I expect a game's sequel to be at least somewhat similar to the first game.

I'm actually relieved that SC2 came out when it did to break the trend of all RTS games going to this style.

I personally hate it, and wasn't expecting it at all. It's a radical departure from the first game. I'm funny like that, I expect a game's sequel to be at least somewhat similar to the first game.
You and i have a very different understanding of the word "radical".

Basically they just got rid of base building and lowered the pop cap... CoH went further with modifying the base mechanics DoW1 had imo.

Sure, the lower numbers made it feel very different to pla, but so did playing SC1 on BGH with 600 pop cap (totally doable without cheats).

Unless you meant the SP...

I'm actually relieved that SC2 came out when it did to break the trend of all RTS games going to this style.
DoW1 was a pretty big departure from the SC style anyway...

GasBandit

Staff member
Part of the reason I didn't like DOW2 is I love basebuilding and I hate having to tell units when to use their abilities. In COH (and DOW2) I was constantly griping "I shouldn't have to tell you when to throw a grenade into a house! C&C Generals was smart enough to know when to flashbang, why aren't you?"

Anyway, that's why I'm still playing Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance, I think.

Necronic

Staff member
The reason I hated DoW2 is that I liked sending scores of infantry men out into a never-ending meatgrinder, "For the Emperor". DoW2 just lacked the sense of scale that DoW1 had, and any 40k game should have. DoW2 bought into the "Movie Marine" style of 40k, and there's a reason that's just a joke version that no-one actually plays on tabletop, even if it does fit the canon better.

I do have to admit though, I like the idea of one squad of major badass Marines wading into waves upon waves of Greenskins, Chaos and Tyranids. Once you get a few missions in, I definitely felt like my Commander and his squad were just big old beasts.

The reason I hated DoW2 is that I liked sending scores of infantry men out into a never-ending meatgrinder, "For the Emperor".
I think you're looking for those flashlight wielding, cardboard wearing Imperial Guards...

DoW2 bought into the "Movie Marine" style of 40k, and there's a reason that's just a joke version that no-one actually plays on tabletop, even if it does fit the canon better.
Considering that Marines operate in 100 man companies i'd say it's some of the other armies that aren't as numerous as they should be going by cannon, in the TT and the games.

Necronic

Staff member
I think you're looking for those flashlight wielding, cardboard wearing Imperial Guards...
Pff. Faith is my armor.

Considering that Marines operate in 100 man companies i'd say it's some of the other armies that aren't as numerous as they should be going by cannon, in the TT and the games.
I'm not sure I follow. I think you're saying that armies like IG are too small. Yeah, I would agree. But when you read some of the books you see single space marines that can wipe out 100s of IGs/cultists, and that doesn't really stand up in TT (because it would be boring.)

I'm not sure I follow. I think you're saying that armies like IG are too small. Yeah, I would agree. But when you read some of the books you see single space marines that can wipe out 100s of IGs/cultists, and that doesn't really stand up in TT (because it would be boring.)
I'm saying that canon-wise the TT IG doesn't have as many soldiers as it should...because they wouldn't fit on the table...

Status
Not open for further replies.