[Gaming] Hey Halforums, what's the worst game you've purchased?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SeraRelm

Best not say FF6 was bad. I will come to your house...

and I will cut you.

How is that different than any other FF? They're all linear and they always have been. Random battles are the name of the game and the only exploration you do in a FF "dungeon" is to find some item box laying around somewhere that has a few cure potions. FFXIII also had large open areas later on in the game. You might not like the FFXIII story than say, other FF games (I thought it was fine), but I'm not sure you could make the argument that the basic design and gameplay are all that different. I'm sure if I pulled up level maps for FF 7/8/9 or even 2/3/4 they'd probably look more or less the same.
The only way FFXIII seems like all the other FF games is if you've only played FFX or FFX-2 prior.

I hate FFVIII and even that did better with it. And even the linear dungeons in those games did a better job of disguising it; for FFXIII you're practically on a rail.

Anyone remember the snow area from FFVII? That was a bitch and a half.

S

SeraRelm

Oh man, yeah. The snow area. I remember dying there so many times because my huge fucking popeye arms would weigh me down in the snow.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck that snow area. The worst part is without a guide you miss a shitload of treasure and Materia.
Worse; One of those materia can ONLY be gotten the first time through that area, and it's a summon that is the only offensive skill IN THE GAME with the Holy Element. You don't get it then, you lose on of the best elements to add to your weapon.

I think Gared fell into the Sar Chasm

He may need to junction his potential.

And if I may rerail this for a bit, the worst game I ever bought was one that tried to have space combat, ground combat, trading, etc. long before Eve (like back in the 90's or very early 2000's). Planets were completely flat and empty, there were no enemies in space, and once I anded on a planet, I couldn't figure out how to get back up into space even with the manual. I don't remember the name of it either.
SWTOR???

Empire of the Ants (Haha! This is pretty old but my first real big disappointment as a kid... the game looked so cool on the box!)
Dead Island (I know a lot of people here like it but I found it to be pure utter shit)
Dragon Age 2 (Up your EA... I hope you die in a fire)

That have already been mentioned:
Spore
FFXIII

That haven't been:
Lost Odyssey - Before y'all tear me a new one on this, I will cop to my hate for this game being due to one thing: all the goddamm LOADING SCREENS. Every single time you did ANYTHING in this game, it required a long loading screen. I made it through one disc and then just said, "fuck it".

Hey, any PS3 owners out there playing Awesomenauts? I'd love to play against live people, but the community is just not there right now. It's a MOBA with a saturday morning cartoon feel to it.

That have already been mentioned:
Spore
FFXIII

That haven't been:
Lost Odyssey - Before y'all tear me a new one on this, I will cop to my hate for this game being due to one thing: all the goddamm LOADING SCREENS. Every single time you did ANYTHING in this game, it required a long loading screen. I made it through one disc and then just said, "fuck it".
I wanted to like Lost Odyssey, and I actually did at first. My major issue was how numbingly slow the game starts. I think I put 10 or so hours into it before just giving up. Another one I wanted to like was Blue Dragon, but for something that felt like a DragonQuest/FF mashup it was boring and easy. Never finished that one, either.

I don't have the hate for FFXIII. Played it through to the end. Completely agree to the "tube" argument until you hit Pulse itself... for a bit, then back to tube. Strangely, the final dungeon had the most "branches" of anything to-date IMO. But if you generally liked the combat system, try XIII-2. They tweaked combat (no more leader death = all death! Woot!) and I actually found it a LOT better because of the non-linear way you can explore the story. Rent it first if you aren't convinced, but I'd really recommend it. They really did learn from their mistakes. And some people hate Mog, but I actually liked him. It's weird, a character that should be annoying, actually wasn't for some weird reason. I dunno.

As for game purchases I regret, I have to go way way back to the NES when I was like 5. Parents were buying one game for each of us. I bought Excitebike. My brother bought The Legend of Zelda. Guess which got more play from both of us? Eventually traded in Excitebike for Double Dragon (2 or 3, don't remember). Was happy with that exchange!

I don't have the hate for FFXIII. Played it through to the end. Completely agree to the "tube" argument until you hit Pulse itself... for a bit, then back to tube. Strangely, the final dungeon had the most "branches" of anything to-date IMO. But if you generally liked the combat system, try XIII-2. They tweaked combat (no more leader death = all death! Woot!) and I actually found it a LOT better because of the non-linear way you can explore the story. Rent it first if you aren't convinced, but I'd really recommend it. They really did learn from their mistakes. And some people hate Mog, but I actually liked him. It's weird, a character that should be annoying, actually wasn't for some weird reason. I dunno.

As for game purchases I regret, I have to go way way back to the NES when I was like 5. Parents were buying one game for each of us. I bought Excitebike. My brother bought The Legend of Zelda. Guess which got more play from both of us? Eventually traded in Excitebike for Double Dragon (2 or 3, don't remember). Was happy with that exchange!
YOU DIDN'T LIKE EXCITEBIKE

GET IM BOYS

Also, the leader = wipe thing in FF13 was my biggest gripe. Made some of the bosses frustratingly hard because I'd have to go full defensive when Lightning was critical hp. Or that area where all you get is the black dude and the younger girl at that fair or whatever. That shit was a pain. When I get back home I plan to give it another go now that I have a better idea of what to expect from the game (made it to that tower on Pulse with the big white robot on top, I forget the name).

S

Soliloquy

I just remembered something. The 2nd or 3rd PS1 game my brothers and I ever purchased was San Francisco Rush. The first PS1 game we bought was Jet Moto, and the PS1 version San Francisco Rush was a huge disappointment in comparison to that awesome racing game.

Ye Gods, I miss Jet Moto.

Status
Not open for further replies.