HF SECRET SANTA 2010 - Post your gift pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

North_Ranger

Staff member
HF SECRET SANTA 2010 - Send your gift by Dec 12th

Hmm... I have my giftee and his wishlist. Now thinking what I would like. And, to be honest, that's always the hard part about Christmas for me.

I'll get back to you on that.

Shirts and other clothing, however, are completely out ;) Most of my clothing has more X's than an adult bookstore :p

I also just realized that the recipient of my gift is going to have no idea that it was even a secret santa gift...so if you get something in the near future that doesn't look as if it was from anyone you know, then yep, that was me.

I'm pretty much pro anything that you can't normally obtain in my country of origin - So things that are made only locally are a pretty good option.

Aside from that i'm pretty much the same as most other people on the forums, i'm a geek and I enjoy geeky things like comics, video games and science fiction.

I'm over 25 so I can handle firearms and alcohol however I suspect that customs might have words over that type of delivery

Statistics about the assignments:

There are three loops formed by this years secret santa assignments, all assigned randomly using a random number generator. A four person loop, for instance, is where person A sends a gift to B, who sends one to C, who sends one to D, who sends one back to A.

The largest loop has 11 people, the next one has 5 people, and the smallest has three people.

D

darkangel6988

I'm so excited about this and the person I'm buying for! In fact this secret santa ordeal may have made me feel a lil more into christmas now that i have someone to buy for aside my parents! So thanks for that :D Happy Shopping and Sending to you all !

Interesting. I already have an idea of what to get my recipient. I just have to track it down.

I have no idea what to suggest for someone to get me. Things I've been looking at lately:

1) A new enclosure to rehouse a pedal. I'm including specific links because I'm putting together a series of pedals for my wife named for the different Harry Potter books. The color is determined by the font color of the title. This one is for a pedal to be called "The Half Fuzz Prince". I'm going to label the knobs and name the pedal using a Harry Potter font and everything...nerdy.

The enclosure can be kind of tricky to order. You have to order an unfinished enclosure, a premium color option, and then select the color. I'll make it easy

Go to Pedal Parts Plus: Drilled Enclosures

- Select either the 1290 drilled for three knobs or the 125B drilled for three holes. The 1290 is $.30 less. Add it to the cart from this page.
- Go to the next page and select the Premium Color option for the pedal enclosure you selected.
- go to Pedal Parts Plus: Purple Starlight Translucent and add it to the cart

I also need three of these Pedal Parts Plus: Cream Pointer Knob / Black Index

Shipping to my zip code is either $3 for First Class or $5 for Priority. Under $20. I know it takes the fun out of it, but I'd REALLY like this, simply because I know both my wife and I will enjoy it.

2) Super Mario Slippers with either the little Green 1-Up Mushrooms or mario/luigi
3) Guitar Center/Musicians Friend gift card
4) Snoopy related stuff (Peanuts to a lesser degree)

I'm sorry that I can't think of more. There's not a lot of stuff off of the top of my head that I'd like to have. I suppose I could list general things, but the stuff above is stuff I know that I'll get a lot of use out of. In fact, the pedal enclosure/paint/knobs and the Hasbro Family Night are something that my wife and I can both use. I will try to think of more stuff to add, especially to keep things on the cheaper end, as the pedal enclosure is the only "cheap" thing.

Edit 11/24/10 - I feel like a great big jerk for my list above, but even a day later, I can't think of anything else.
Another edit - my wife removed one of the gifts from my list because her friend bought it for me

North_Ranger

Staff member

Okay, here's some ideas...

- I'm pretty much nut with Calvin & Hobbes. I have all the big collected issues and a handful of the other books. What I don't have in my collection are Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons and It's a Magical World.
- I have a pretty broad taste in music. I don't much listen to the newest pop music (well, except on the radio). But what I lack in my CD rack is any kind of bluegrass, country or jazz. I wouldn't even know where to start lookin'. I do enjoy Trace Adkins and Willie Nelson, though. Irish trad is also good - I'm still lackin' a good Lúnasa CD.
- Dragon Haven by Robin Hobb. I've been reading her Rain Wild Chronicles, but I haven't had the time to track down this latest edition. Lovin' the first part, though.
- Any collection of Jeeves short stories by P.G. Wodehouse. What can I say? I'm a fan.
- Horrible Histories books by Terry Deary. I know, it's a bit childish - but also a barrel of fun. Not many of them are translated into Finnish, though, so all I have is The Measly Middle Ages.
- And while I have the full collection of Order of the Stick books, I wouldn't mind proclaiming my geekdom a little more. Such as with a mug - or a stein with Durkon complaining about moose urine ;) Good, evil, zombies, sexy shoeless gods of war, explosive runes... all work. But not the "I can just make more in my tummy" :D
- And yes, I am a movie buff. The problem, however, is that most likely my Secret Santa is from the States, and Europe uses a different region code for DVDs. USA is Region 1, Europe is Region 2. But if I can think of something, I'll put a notice here.

Hope this helps.

A more serious list for me...

- Local flavor type stuff would be interesting. Anything that might be unique to where you live.
- Coffee cups/mugs or glasses. I can never have enough of them.
- Pretty much anything from Think Geek.
- If it's a t-shirt, my size would be medium.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
- Anything that's shiny and might catch my attention.

D

darkangel6988

My gift has been sent....Estimated Time of delivery between Dec 9-21 but I'm pretty sure it will get there quicker :)

Remember folks, pictures during the unwrapping!

My person as posted their list but I still remain uninspired.

:(

Paint or draw them a picture!
Maybe I'm your guy Gusto, and maybe I'm not. If I was, though, I would think original artwork (of any quality above stick figures) would be awesome. I'm sure others agree.

Well according to the tracking number the poor unfortunate soul who received me as their secret Santa should have received the first part of their gift in today

Cajungal

Staff member

I already got mine!!! Am I supposed to wait til december?... Oh the suspense!!! Oh, and mine will be sent this week!

The first part of my gift has been ordered and should be shipping out soon. The recipient should get it close to the deadline, but hopefully a few days before.

The second part of my gift should be completed shortly and might very well arrive before.

Yay.

Uhm honestly, Im going to make this easy for my Secret Santa. I like books--and I like books that are hard to find in China. I'd love either of these:

Amazon.com: Nemesis (The Horus Heresy) (9781844168699): James Swallow: Books

Amazon.com: Horus Heresy: First Heretic (The Horus Heresy) (9781844168859): Aaron Dembski-Bowden: Books

Of course if that is somehow not doable, Local things from your area or self made things work too :)

Im a flexible person when it comes to gifts.

I kind of did the same thing with the pedal enclosure. My wife told me that, while she understands why I asked for and stressed it as my gift, she felt that it wasn't in the spirit of the whole Secret Santa thing. So, I guess I'm a jerk or something...BAH HUMBUG! I kid...I actually really love Christmas and giving gifts.

I kind of did the same thing with the pedal enclosure. My wife told me that, while she understands why I asked for and stressed it as my gift, she felt that it wasn't in the spirit of the whole Secret Santa thing. So, I guess I'm a jerk or something...BAH HUMBUG! I kid...I actually really love Christmas and giving gifts.
To be honest, I did think that asking for something specific does go against the idea of a secret santa event. But it's not a big deal. If people want to get you something you specifically ask for or want to get you something else, it's all up to them. I just hope we don't see someone gripe because they asked for something specific and didn't get it. THAT would be a major no-no.

I doubt that will happen, though.

Funny. Today, during lunch today I bought my target a gift. Came home, mine was waiting... and the packaging leaves little to the imagination. :D

Should I wait? arrrrghhh

Funny. Today, during lunch today I bought my target a gift. Came home, mine was waiting... and the packaging leaves little to the imagination. :D

Should I wait? arrrrghhh
Well, at least you were able to tell it was the Secret Santa gift.

C

Chibibar

sent and done! :) woot

The second part of the gift I sent out should arrive sometime between today and Thursday

I need to get my ass purchasing but all the shops around here close just as I get off work. Looks like its a job for the weekend.

I'm keeping track of when people say they send things and when people say they receive things on a little list, and I'm gonna be checking it twice come the 15th, so if you've sent a gift or received a gift, please speak up in this thread (or PM me if you want to be a little more anonymous).

So you're making a list, checking it twice, and gonna find out who's naughty or nice?

Hmmm....

To be honest, I did think that asking for something specific does go against the idea of a secret santa event. But it's not a big deal. If people want to get you something you specifically ask for or want to get you something else, it's all up to them. I just hope we don't see someone gripe because they asked for something specific and didn't get it. THAT would be a major no-no.

I doubt that will happen, though.
I'd never complain. I just couldn't think of much this year.

Maybe I deserve a sad :(

Edit to add @ 3:33p

Woo. I got the email confirmation that the first part of my present is mailing out. Based on the time frame provided, it should arrive sometime next week! I'll do my best to get the second part out by this weekend.

Cajungal

Staff member

Yeah, I felt kind of greedy or something posting things I liked, but I feel so completely clueless when shopping for gifts that I like hints. If what I received wasn't on my list of likes, I'm sure it will still be a lovely surprise. :)

You know, next year it might be fun to try an idea that my cousins had for our secret santa: We're taking our own belongings: clothes, books, CDs, DVDs, other things... and passing them on. Whatever possession of ours we think our secret santa would enjoy, we give it to them rather than buy something new. Might be a good way to "recycle" and share a bit of ourselves as well. The only problem is, it might not always end up being something someone might want. Still, I think that part of the fun would be trying something new.

C

Chibibar

for me, anything would be awesome (even adult stuff) as long it is legal and I can legally own it.

Status
Not open for further replies.