Export thread

How to play Left 4 Dead (2).

Limit: 500

GasBandit

GasBandit

Edit: Watch your favorite Halforums Heroes play L4D2 on this playlist!

This one's going out to @Null who just got L4D2 on the last steam sale, but I figure everyone might get a chuckle out of seeing it.

Left 4 Dead is a cooperative survival horror first person shooter. The game involves four "Survivors" trying to navigate to a goal (usually a safehouse/saferoom) without all getting eaten by zombies.

Left 4 Dead 2 includes all content from Left 4 Dead 1, plus more and enhancements, so it's best to just play the sequel.

Here are the survivors:

Above: Nick, Rochelle, Coach, Ellis
Below: Bill, Louis, Zoey, Francis

The survivors are all 100% identical in performance, and differ only cosmetically (appearance and voice/banter). The survivors on the bottom are from the L4D1 content (starts in Pennsylvania), the above are L4D2 content (starts in Georgia). At one point, the two survivors do cross paths in a certain episode, but we're getting ahead of ourselves. The point is, sometimes you'll be one of the 4 on top, sometimes you'll be one of the 4 on bottom, and it doesn't matter who you pick from a performance standpoint. But I like to be Francis or Coach just because.

Survivors can carry one main weapon, one secondary weapon, one medical kit, one thrown weapon, and one minor item. Left click shoots, right click shoves. More on weapons later.

This game ascribes to the "zombie virus" school of thought... IE, the zombies are not reanimated corpses, they are living humans driven mad and homicidal by a sickness nicknamed the "Green Flu." Thus, it is not necessary to get 100% headshots... you can kill zombies just fine by aiming at center mass.

These are "common" infected.

Common infected typically stand around not doing much, puking on the ground, leaning against walls, or lying in crumpled heaps until they detect a non-infected person. At which point they will run at the person and try to bite and claw and bludgeon them to death.

Don't worry, you're immune to the zombie virus. But you can still be killed by violence.

Anyway, common infected are easily killed. Their strength comes from their numbers, especially when a large group gets into a frenzy.

In addition to common infected, there are 8 kinds of "special infected." They're kinda like miniboss zombies. They are Hunters, Smokers, Boomers, Jockeys, Spitters, Witches, Chargers, and Tanks. They appear randomly and occasionally, and their appearance is usually hinted by a leitmotif - there will be a musical cue that you can hear if you are listening to the soundtrack to tell you what's coming, kind of like how in X-Wing back in the 90s you could tell when more allies/enemies were warping in based on the changes in the soundtrack.

Hunters

Hunters are zombies that crawl around on all fours, and make a distinctive, wet growling sound. They can climb walls and, though they crawl slowly, can suddenly leap quickly over large distances. They will attempt to pounce on a survivor, especially one who has strayed too far from the rest of the group. A survivor who is pounced cannot move or fight back, and the hunter will continue to sit on the pounced survivor, clawing his face off until he dies unless another survivor comes to rescue the pounced. Killing the hunter does the trick, but if you're up close a quick shove (right click) will knock the hunter off his victim immediately and sometimes is a better option to save the survivor faster.

Smokers

Smokers are tall, skinny zombies covered in malignant growths. Weak in melee combat, they can fire their tongue incredible distances. If the tongue hits a survivor, it will then retract the tongue, dragging the survivor to the smoker, where the survivor is then strangled (same rules as pounced by a hunter). When the smoker is killed, he explodes in a cloud of dense, foul smelling smoke that obscures vision and causes survivors to cough uncontrollably (though other than poor vision, it doesn't affect player performance really). Smokers are frequently on top of roofs or in other out-of-the-way areas that they cannot be reached, and their distance makes them hard to kill sometimes. You can immediately free a survivor being dragged by shoving them. In addition to their musical leitmotif, you can tell a smoker is around by their loud, squeaky coughing.

Boomers

Boomers are extremely fat zombies covered in boils. Boomers will attempt to vomit on survivors, which will cover them in Boomer Bile, which will cause a Frenzy of common infected, focused on whoever's covered in puke, and severely impair that player's visibility for 5-10 seconds. When shot, a boomer will explode, covering everyone nearby in boomer bile - so best to shove them away, backpedal to get distance, and then kill them out of explosion range. Boomers are heard to make loud, low groaning noises.

Jockeys

Jockeys are very small zombies that skitter along the ground and hop small distances. They will try to leap onto a survivor, and by yanking their head and hitting them, try to "steer" the survivor into more groups of zombies. They're especially troublesome to kill because it's hard to shoot them without also shooting who they're riding. You can tell one is around by listening for their distinctive hyena-like laugh.

Spitters

Spitters are female zombies who try to keep their distance, and spit giant gobs of acidic goo at survivors. Wherever the spit hits, an area about 10 yards in diameter turns to bubbling, corrosive acid that deals damage quickly and is entirely capable of wiping out groups of unwary survivors who don't get clear fast enough. Killing a spitter also causes a small pool of acid to form where they fall. Spitters hocking/clearing their throat are their auditory cues.

Witches

Probably the second most dangerous single zombie in the game after the Tank, the witch is a female zombie who sits on the ground, loudly crying and sobbing in a plaintive voice. The witch will ignore everything around her, including survivors, so long as she is not disturbed. Things that disturb the witch are: loud noises, bright lights, being damaged, or a survivor being too close for 5 seconds. When you hear a witch crying, turn off your flashlight (F key), as shining a flashlight on a witch will disturb it. When a witch is disturbed, it will scream and launch itself at whoever was responsible for disturbing it, and the witch's attack is a 1-hit kill. Often it's best just to navigate around the witch if you can, but if you have to kill one, make sure you've got big guns and lots of room to backpedal while firing. On lower difficulties, the chainsaw can 1-hit-kill the witch.

Chargers

Chargers will rush a group of survivors, knocking them all flying, and will grab one survivor and repeatedly bash him into the ground until either he or the survivor is dead. Unlike other types of pouncing zombies, the charger is too strong to be shoved off his victim and must be killed to be stopped. A charger bellows like a rhino when he is charging.

Tanks

The tank is the most deadly and destructive zombie. Huge and muscular, he can bash survivors around like rag dolls and throw them incredible distances. He can soak extremely impressive amounts of damage, usually requiring cooperation of the entire team of survivors to take him down. He is fast, he is lethal, and he is usually what causes a group of survivors to get wiped. If he can't reach who he wants to smash quick enough, he can also rip up large chunks of pavement to throw. The Tank's arrival is so important it is the only zombie that causes the soundtrack to immediately change to an entirely different theme, and his hulk-like roars and snarls can't be missed - though usually the music will be your first clue he's coming.

Also, there are various kinds of "uncommon" common infected such as zombie cops wearing body armor (shoot them in the back), zombies in quarantine suits (they are fireproof), zombies wearing clown shoes (their squeaking attracts more zombies), zombie mud men (... you'll just have to see), and fallen survivors (they drop useful items when they die, but they prefer to run rather than fight).

Your goal as a survivor is to make it through this door:

These are saferoom doors, and are the only doors zombies can't open/break. When all living survivors make it into the saferoom and the door is shut, the level is considered beaten.

Weaponry:
Primary weapons:
Primary weapons are your main methods of dealing damage. They consist of shotguns, assault rifles, sniper rifles, machine guns, and grenade launchers. Shotguns aren't good at long ranges, but at short ranges their damage is immense, and at medium range they can take out several common infected at once. Assault rifles do decent damage at all ranges and are good all-round weapons. They don't do as much burst damage as shotguns, but shotguns have to have shells reloaded one by one, so there's balance. Sniper rifles are great at long range, but of marginal utility at close range and not many people choose to use them. Machine guns (M60) and grenade launchers are special weapons that cannot have their ammo replenished, but do massive amounts of damage.

Secondary weapons:
Secondary weapons are what you use when you run out of ammo for your primary. They come in two flavors - pistols and melee weapons. There are two kinds of pistols - regular automatic pistols that you can dual wield if you find an extra one but don't do much damage per shot (but are better than nothing), and the big pistol (D. Eagle 50 cal) which does more damage but is unwieldy and only holds 7 shots and can't be dual wielded. There's a huge variety of melee weapons ranging from bats and machetes and fire axes to katanas and guitars and everything inbetween. Some are more effective than others (most people like the katana best). There is also a chainsaw which is insanely effective at killing anything near it, but it has limited, unrefillable fuel. You can still right click to shove while using a melee weapon.

Medical kits:
You can carry one of the following: a first aid kit, or a defribulator. A first aid kit will let you heal yourself or another survivor by bandaging them, restoring them to (mostly) full health. Bandaging takes 5-10 seconds to do, so don't do it in the middle of a fight. If a survivor is "downed" 3 times without receiving first aid, he or she will die. Defribulators will revive a dead player by shocking their corpse. Most people go with the first aid kit, only carrying defribulators when no FAKs are available.

Thrown weapons:
Two kinds: Pipe bombs and molotov cocktails. Pipe bombs have a smoke detector alarm attached, which is activated when thrown. Common infected will chase the beeping bomb, gathering around it to be blown up after a short delay. Molotov cocktails will engulf a 10 yard diameter circular area in flames for approximately 30 seconds, dealing massive damage to anything in that area, and survivors and zombies who are set on fire will continue to burn for a little while even once clear of the fire. These weapons are usually held in reserve as your "get out of jail free" cards when facing a huge frenzy of common infected.

Minor items:
Again, two kinds: pain pills or adrenaline shot. Pills will give you a large amount of "fake" healing, a dotted line on your health bar that will slowly drain away over 10 minutes or so. If you're low on health and don't have a first aid kit (or just want to save it for later), pills will usually do the job to keep you from being downed. Adrenaline shots will "fake heal" a small amount of your bar, but will also increase your speed and melee damage. If you intend to whip out a sword and wade through an oncoming rush of common infected, Adrenaline will really help you get through it.

Overview -
So, basically, your survivors are trying to reach safety. Generally this will involve 3 or 4 levels of moving from saferoom to saferoom, usually with some difficult halfway points that involve doing something noisy that provokes a frenzy in order to move forward (for example, opening an emergency door that sets off a fire alarm). The final culmination of a game comes to a Last Stand - where the survivors must hold out against non-stop waves of oncoming common and special infected while waiting for rescue or while trying to accomplish their own rescue. When a survivor's health reaches zero, he is "downed," and cannot move but can try to shoot with pistols. Another survivor can get a downed survivor back on his feet in about 5 seconds by holding the E key while targeting him. The downed survivor will be picked back up with 1 health. If a survivor is downed 3 times without receiving first aid, they die, so it's usually best to immediately bandage someone after they've been picked back up. If all four survivors are killed, they have to start that level over again.

That's basically the deal.

Bowielee

Bowielee

When did they incorporate the L4D 1 content into L4D 2?

GasBandit

GasBandit

When did they incorporate the L4D 1 content into L4D 2?
Jeez, a long time ago. I think they started doing it in 2011 and ported the maps over one by one.

The maps aren't exactly the same, though, since now they also include L4D2 content like uncommon infected, spitters, jockeys, chargers and melee weapons.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Shows how long it's been since I've played.

Dei

Dei

I'd play sometime, I need to actually install it again though.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I am always down for left 4 dead with anybody, so long as I'm home.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Honest tip this time. In L4D2, stick together with your team mates. Several of the special infected can grab you, and you can't be freed unless a team mate saves you. Not to mention the possibility of getting overwhelmed by common infected, since you can't attack all directions at all times, so you need someone to cover your back.

Run off by yourself, and you will suffer for it.

This is especially true if you're playing VS. A member of the infected team will grab you, and the remaining ones will be able to ambush your team mates as they try to get to your position to save you.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Jeez, a long time ago. I think they started doing it in 2011 and ported the maps over one by one.

The maps aren't exactly the same, though, since now they also include L4D2 content like uncommon infected, spitters, jockeys, chargers and melee weapons.
2011 ... damn, L4D2 came out almost six years ago. I didn't even think.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Minor items:
Again, two kinds: pain pills or adrenaline shot. Pills will give you a large amount of "fake" healing, a dotted line on your health bar that will slowly drain away over 10 minutes or so. If you're low on health and don't have a first aid kit (or just want to save it for later), pills will usually do the job to keep you from being downed. Adrenaline shots will "fake heal" a small amount of your bar, but will also increase your speed and melee damage. If you intend to whip out a sword and wade through an oncoming rush of common infected, Adrenaline will really help you get through it.
Adrenaline also has some other effects, but the big ones are that you can pick up your fallen friends faster while under the effects of adrenaline and I'm pretty sure you don't have a shove cool-down timer for doing several shoves in a row ether. I think it also lets you do stuff like pour gas faster too.

Null

Null

GB and I went through a co-op L4D campaign on easy. I did get him killed a few times.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GB and I went through a co-op L4D campaign on easy. I did get him killed a few times.
When we play again (and I hope you get a headset by then), we need to try to move a little faster. We kept getting all those special infected because the game was punishing us for dragging our feet.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

When we play again (and I hope you get a headset by then), we need to try to move a little faster. We kept getting all those special infected because the game was punishing us for dragging our feet.
I kept looking for you guys so I could drop in but I never saw you on Steam. Maybe next time I'll drop in.

Dei

Dei

I do have it installed now, or more precisely, I moved it from my old hard drive to my SSD. :p

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

L4D1 was a slower game. While moving was important, you didn't get punished quite as much for waiting. It felt more like a horror game than an action game, and so was a little more forgiving of newer players.

L4D2 is fast-paced, as shown by additions like the Spitter and Charger, who break up corning, and the on-the-move crescendo events.

bhamv3

bhamv3

L4D1 was a slower game. While moving was important, you didn't get punished quite as much for waiting. It felt more like a horror game than an action game, and so was a little more forgiving of newer players.

L4D2 is fast-paced, as shown by additions like the Spitter and Charger, who break up corning, and the on-the-move crescendo events.
Heh, I love in L4D1, if you heard an incoming horde, your first instinct is to find a closet or alcove to hide in.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The difference is a bit ridiculous really. We got more special infected last night on easy than you'd get in L4D1 on hard.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

And yet these were important changes (along with the shove cool-down) because players would hole up on top of each other and basically become a wall of unstoppable death for the duration of a climax. It was near impossible to win a Versus match as the Specials unless the human team REALLY fucked up or everyone was rushing.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh, and because I made @Null skip the intro cinematics to join the lobby asap, here they both are for L4D1 and 2, just so you don't miss out :D

Null

Null

Yeah I'm used to games where you're supposed to explore everywhere and the best weaponry is hidden in obscure alcoves, not just waiting for you. Finding the magnum pistol in that subway car semi-justified that but honestly dual regular pistols were probably a wiser choice.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah I'm used to games where you're supposed to explore everywhere and the best weaponry is hidden in obscure alcoves, not just waiting for you. Finding the magnum pistol in that subway car semi-justified that but honestly dual regular pistols were probably a wiser choice.
Weapons and ammo are usually right on the main path, but thrown weapons and pills sometimes are a little off the beaten path. But in L4D2 you really gotta be careful how much time you spend checking stuff out... because the slower you go, the more the game punishes you with special infected and horde events.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It depends on the difficult. On normal or hard, I generally prefer a melee weapon with a wide arc like the axe or katana. On Expert, that magnum is actually one of the best weapons available because it's a one hit kill on normal infected (and they are VERY dangerous on expert). It's not uncommon for teams doing Expert runs to all carry deagles if they can get them and sniper rifles or autoshotguns if they can't.

On normal games, most weapons in each tier have their own quirks. It's something like this... guns with higher Fire Rate are better for taking out big enemies like Tanks and Chargers, guns with higher damage are better for normal infected, and accuracy is better for sniping Specials.

Fire Rate <-> Damage a shot <-> Accuracy
Tier One
Uzi/SMG <-> Silenced SMG <-> Uzi/SMG
Chromed Shotgun <-> Shotgun <-> Chromed Shotgun (Less Spread, better range)
Hunting Rifle is perfectly accurate, penetrates enemies, can kill several in one shot occasionally.

Tier Two
M16/Assault rifle <-> AK47 <-> SCAR/Desert Rifle
Auto Shotgun <-> SPAS <-> SPAS maybe?
Sniper Rifle is basically the same as Hunting Rifle, but with more ammo in the magazine and a slower reload.

Pistols
Dualies <-> Magnum <-> Magnum (Magnum is always a one-hit kill against normal infected on any difficulty)

Melee Weapons
If it uses two hands (baseball bat, cricket bat, katana, axe, etc.) it's slower but has a wide arc and is good for clearing a crowd from around you. If it uses one hand (machete, frying pan, baton, etc.) then it's mostly good for clearing a straight line or to quickly kill Special infected. I generally prefer the arc weapons just in case I get nailed in a horde or with bile.

Special Weapons
Grenade Launcher: I mostly use it to stunlock Special Infected but it can clear a horde too. REALLY fun if you find Incendiary Ammo.
Chainsaw: This is BUILT for taking out hordes, especially if you can funnel them through a door. Also good on Specials if you can sneak up on them.
M60: HEAVY MACHINE GUN. This is the best weapon in the game while you have it, especially if you have a laser sight on it. Enjoy it while it lasts because it will make a short work of anything.

Thrown Weapons
Molotov: Use defensively to make a fire wall that roasts a horde, to escape a horde (the fire only hurts a little at first), or to light a tank on fire to slowly kill them. Caution: lighting a tank on fire makes them faster.
Pipe Bomb: Use to clear out hordes before they become a problem or to clear an area of surprises. Doesn't work on all Infected.
Boomer Bile: This actually CAUSES a horde if there isn't one around, but if you can nail something like a Tank with one, the Horde will proceed to beat the snot out of them for awhile. Alternatively, you can throw one somewhere out of the way to move the Horde out of your way while you're trying to make an escape.

Other Items
Gas already went over pills and shots, but there are two more important items.
Incendiary Bullets: Fills your primary gun with bullets that light things on fire.. but you only get one clip. Generally not worth saving unless found near a finale... I usually just pick them up, deploy them, and then pick up my First Aid/Defib.
Laser Sights: Rare items that put a laser sight on your main gun, reducing recoil and improving accuracy. Not so useful on a Grenade Launcher but great for Assault Rifles, SMGs, and the M60. You can pick up as many lasers as you want, in case there is another weapon you'd rather use this on.
There also used to be Fragmention Bullets but they took them out because a team finding them in a Versus Match would mean they would always win. Frag bullets would explode like mini grenades, taking out normal infected in one hit but only stunning Specials. This was really annoying to be on the receiving end of.

Something else the Gas didn't talk about are the Uncommons: normal infected with special gear. These are some of the tougher enemies in the game in some scenarios.
CDC: Wear bright yellow biosuits. I think this makes them immune to fire, but they usually also carry Boomer Bile.
Clowns: Their squeeky shoes and squeeky noses can lead hordes to you.
Mudmen: Getting hit by the mud covered zombies will blind you briefly like when you get hit with Boomer Bile.
Construction Workers: Immune to the beeping of a Pipe Bomb, but not it's blast.
SWAT: These guys are invincible to attacks from the front. You need to get behind them to take them out, usually by shoving them or stunning them.
Fallen Survivors: These infected will book it if they see you. Usually carry stuff like pipe bombs, pills, or first aid, but can also carry molotovs... which will explode when they die, leaving fire.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Sniper Rifle is basically the same as Hunting Rifle, but with more ammo in the magazine and a slower reload.
The sniper rifle is also slightly less accurate when walking. I'm not sure it makes enough of a difference to care, though.

SWAT: These guys are invincible to attacks from the front. You need to get behind them to take them out, usually by shoving them or stunning them.
You can also spin them around with shotguns.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

You can also spin them around with shotguns.
Yes, but you need to be fairly close to do this. It won't work at range.

Necronic

Necronic

Man I would love to play with you guys. I always loved this game but playing online was always such a total crapshoot.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

And yet these were important changes (along with the shove cool-down) because players would hole up on top of each other and basically become a wall of unstoppable death for the duration of a climax. It was near impossible to win a Versus match as the Specials unless the human team REALLY fucked up or everyone was rushing.
I agree. Just sometimes I miss the old style, at least for campaign. Nonetheless, L4D2 is the better game.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Caution: lighting a tank on fire makes them faster.
Pretty sure this only applies to the first game. In L4D2 they removed this feature, so there's usually no reason not to set a tank on fire as soon as you see it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Pretty sure this only applies to the first game. In L4D2 they removed this feature, so there's usually no reason not to set a tank on fire as soon as you see it.
Looking it up, this is true. It actually slows it down, so there is no reason to not do it except if there is water nearby.

Terrik

Terrik

Ash and I actually finished an Advanced Campaign. I'm so proud.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Ash and I actually finished an Advanced Campaign. I'm so proud.
Yep, and only two restarts. And on Blood Harvest, one of the harder campaigns.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I've had this game in my Steam Library for some time... I might have to finally get around to installing it.

Have the 1st on X-Box (yes yes, filthy casual. Fuckoff. :D), and started getting my wife involved. Her skills are... not as sharp as they could be. *chuckles*

It's bizarre to me that the first level is supposed to be set in Savannah, especially since it's supposed to culminate in a mall... would love to see how it all stacks up. The Walking Dead was a bit of a trip, because some parts would be accurate but not, at the same time. Very jarring... I'm sure it's the same for folks from NYC and seeing Liberty City...

fade

fade

I have it since I bought the Valve Complete package. Never installed it though, since it seemed like I missed the boat. I'm fadecomic on Steam.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Might have to get a regular L4D night going, at this rate.

Make sure all you mugs have headsets.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm fadecomic on Steam.
"There are no users that match your search"

I think you're just fade.

My computer isn't running very well right now. If I can get around to reinstalling Windows, and that helps, I'd be down for playing. figmentPez on Steam

fade

fade

"There are no users that match your search"

I think you're just fade.

My computer isn't running very well right now. If I can get around to reinstalling Windows, and that helps, I'd be down for playing. figmentPez on Steam
Huh. I guess it is. I'm 100% sure my login name is fadecomic. I guess they're not the same.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Huh. I guess it is. I'm 100% sure my login name is fadecomic. I guess they're not the same.
Yeah, you can change your profile name to be different from your login name (in fact they encourage it). GasBandit isn't my login either.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

And if you're having trouble keeping track of everyone, you can put nicknames for people on your friend's list by right click their name. This helps you keep track of them if they change names.

Dei

Dei

We just need to get 8 people together to do some vs.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

And if you're having trouble keeping track of everyone, you can put nicknames for people on your friend's list by right click their name. This helps you keep track of them if they change names.
Case in point, I've changed @Chad Sexington to "Just the worst"

Terrik

Terrik

We just need to get 8 people together to do some vs.
I 'd love to play infected.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Case in point, I've changed @Chad Sexington to "Just the worst"
I don't see why.

Also I have no idea why I didn't notice this thread... I love L4D... I'll totally play it anytime.

Dei

Dei

I'm busy tonight and tomorrow night (unless people are on pretty late), but I'm free after that for any night!

fade

fade

I've got a gaming headset. I just successfully soldered the wires back together after my daughter decided to play tilt-a-whirl on my desk chair and wound the wire around it until it shredded in two.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Would the little PS4 headset work with a PC? It has a normal audio jack.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Would the little PS4 headset work with a PC? It has a normal audio jack.
I think the PS4 headsets use the CTIA connector, which is not quite a standard 3.5mm jack. You'll need a special adapter that splits it into two plugs, one for the mic (usually red) and one for the speakers (usually green).[DOUBLEPOST=1435360207,1435360035][/DOUBLEPOST]Like this -

Amazon product

Dei

Dei

I so enjoy getting yanked off ledges. It is the best. Better than trying to reload and hitting strafe right out a window instead though. >.>

bhamv3

bhamv3

I so enjoy getting yanked off ledges. It is the best. Better than trying to reload and hitting strafe right out a window instead though. >.>
If you're a bot, you don't even need the yanking to go over a ledge.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I recorded our game (and remembered to set it to record my own voice as well this time), But it'll be tomorrow before it's up on youtube for everybody to see.

Null

Null

To be fair, that's only my second time playing it, ever.

And man did it fucking show.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'll try to be up for this again soon... had to repair my headset last night with super glue and don't want to try wearing it until it's cured.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Youtube is gagging on trying to process the video. Maybe I should have broke it into smaller chunks rather than one 55 minute marathon run.

Dei

Dei

To be fair, that's only my second time playing it, ever.

And man did it fucking show.
Again, at least you didn't dive out a window when trying to reload. ;)

On that note, I really need to remap those hotkeys because they are so awkward.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Again, at least you didn't dive out a window when trying to reload. ;)

On that note, I really need to remap those hotkeys because they are so awkward.
Well, he DID leap off a third story mall balcony to try to save you. With 1 health. In the middle of me telling him not to jump.

It was pretty funny.

UGH THIS IS SO FOREVER-TAKING </cheryltunt> It's up in 360p but that's unwatchable. Processing for HD is coming slowly, I am guessing. Next time, I definitely cut it into level-by-level chunks and upload in multiple parts.

Edit 480p's up... Soooo I guess probably another hour will see us at 1080p.

Dei

Dei

Well that was the time I got snagged by a smoker while you guys were about to turn off the alarm. That was not user error, that was bad luck.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Here it is, the quality will get better the longer you wait to view it. now in full 1080p.

Starring:
GasBandit as Coach
Null as Nick
Dei as Rochelle
and Terrik as Ellis

@Officer_Charon this is the level that's supposed to be set in Savannah.[DOUBLEPOST=1435592721,1435592624][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well that was the time I got snagged by a smoker while you guys were about to turn off the alarm. That was not user error, that was bad luck.
Your fall was understandable. His was comedy :D[DOUBLEPOST=1435593022][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh sure, soon as I say that NOW it's in 1080p. Makin' me look good there, 'tube.

Null

Null

I have a feeling I'm going to be the Gavin of our Let's Plays.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I have a feeling I'm going to be the Gavin of our Let's Plays.
You gotta get a headset for that, so I can subtitle with [Null screaming]

Null

Null

What's a good cheap headset? And it'll be more like "(Null speaking Angrish / dropping cluster F-bombs)"

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, I dunno what's a good cheap headset, I do know that the Zalman ZM-MIC1 is a good cheap microphone that clips onto the cord of a nice, expensive pair of headphones :D

Amazon product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836501002

It's what I use both for gaming and recording my voice in youtube videos.

Dei

Dei

You can get cheap headsets at Walmart or Target if all you care about is the Mic.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh, and fun game for those of you at home, count how many times I inserted the sad trombone sound ;)

figmentPez

figmentPez

Since I can't find that anyone has mentioned it yet Down in front! This is mostly for hallways, but any time you can't move forward, or don't need to be moving fast while you're shooting, crouch. This will make it easier for your teammates to provide supporting fire.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Since I can't find that anyone has mentioned it yet Down in front! This is mostly for hallways, but any time you can't move forward, or don't need to be moving fast while you're shooting, crouch. This will make it easier for your teammates to provide supporting fire.
I try, sometimes I forget. You can see me crouching as we go through that first door there ;)

Terrik

Terrik

That's me, hitting targets a mile away with pinpoint accuracy.

With my grenade launcher.

Dei

Dei

You mean hitting us. ;)

Terrik

Terrik

You mean hitting us. ;)
Grenades don't discriminate.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Grenades don't discriminate.
They favor the incorporeal.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Right?! Damn. I remember when I used to play all the time, and I'd constantly be on teams with people creating team-wiping choke points because they wouldn't fucking crouch in a hall or a door. I can't support you if all I can see is the back of your FUCKING HEAD WHICH I WILL FRANKLY SHOOT WITH ABANDON IF YOU DO THIS AGAI--

You may have brought up some stuff.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Interesting to watch... from an outside perspective, and something I'm guilty of, sometimes, but y'all need to communicate more about targets and danger areas, stuff like that.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Hit the damned post button.

Also, I've got no idea where they are, but it sure as HELL ain't Savannah. :D

GasBandit

GasBandit

Interesting to watch... from an outside perspective, and something I'm guilty of, sometimes, but y'all need to communicate more about targets and danger areas, stuff like that.
We got better as time went on. At first, I wasn't sure about the experience level of everybody I was playing with (aside from Null, his second time EVAR), and I didn't want to be condescending to people who knew what they were about.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

It's all gravy - like I said, I'm guilty of being the quiet martyr sometimes, and I'm TRAINED for stuff like that. :D and for it being his seconditions time ever? Well done, @Null!

Dei

Dei

C is a stupid place for a push to talk key so I kept hitting the wrong button. I remapped it now. ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

C is a stupid place for a push to talk key so I kept hitting the wrong button. I remapped it now. ;)
Yeah, I use mouse button 4 (lower thumb button).

Dei

Dei

That's what I just changed it to. It's what I have it set to for Vent, but I didn't want to fuck with all my key mapping and hold everyone up.

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's what I just changed it to. It's what I have it set to for Vent, but I didn't want to fuck with all my key mapping and hold everyone up.
Well, we'd have understood, but thank you for the consideration ;)

Dei

Dei

Well I changed a LOT of key mapping this morning. :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well I changed a LOT of key mapping this morning. :p

Dei

Dei

Totally unrealistic.

My hair has never been that long.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It occurs to me, last night during the "rescue Dei and Null" sequence in the mall, I said "If we survive this, I'll dance a jig." Well, I forgot, we did make it through it, and I neglected to dance a jig. So here's Bruce Willis, filling in for me - in the movie I was referencing when I said that, "The Last Boy Scout."

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I always felt like L4D merited having push-to-talk off. Like, when shit goes down, I want everyone to know I'm cursing right away!

Dei

Dei

Terrible idea when you have children in the house honestly. No one wants to hear me yelling to my daughter over my shoulder. ;) (or my husband, or my son, but mostly her)

GasBandit

GasBandit

I always felt like L4D merited having push-to-talk off. Like, when shit goes down, I want everyone to know I'm cursing right away!
PTT is pretty necessary in most games, IMO. I got a lot of friends who are heavy mouth breathers. Whole game is like getting an obscene phone call from Darth Vader.

Dei

Dei

I've been gaming with vent for a long time now, it's harder for me to NOT push the button every time I say something. (As long as the button is in the right place)

PatrThom

PatrThom

Totally unrealistic.

My hair has never been that long.
There's still time.
Might interfere with work, though.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

I gave up on the very idea of super long hair around the age of 6 when I decided that it was too much work. Longest I've made it to since is my shoulder blades before getting fed up. Though I haven't had my hair as short as it is now in at least 21 years. (hah I was about to say 11 /old)

GasBandit

GasBandit

I gave up on the very idea of super long hair around the age of 6 when I decided that it was too much work. Longest I've made it to since is my shoulder blades before getting fed up. Though I haven't had my hair as short as it is now in at least 21 years. (hah I was about to say 11 /old)
I get that way every time I entertain the idea of growing a longer beard. Once the whiskers get over an inch long, I can't resist pulling them out with my bare hands. So I have to keep close-trimmed.

bhamv3

bhamv3

"Can we not grenade each other?"

"Oh, I'll try my best."

:rofl:

On the whole, it looks like it was a fun game. Sometimes some of you did have a tendency to run off from the others, which would be risky at higher skill levels. And more voice communication wouldn't hurt. But other than that, well done. :D

Null

Null

Going to try and get one of these on Friday.
Turtle Beach Earforce Headset

Maybe L4D friday night?

Terrik

Terrik

Going to try and get one of these on Friday.
Turtle Beach Earforce Headset

Maybe L4D friday night?
I can play after 9:15PM EST

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hrm, that's 8:15p central, I think I might can swing that.

Who's up to be our 4th for episode 2? @Dei?

Dei

Dei

7:15 mountain might be early for me, but I can probably swing it as long as I'm not a slacker about making dinner. But it would have to be pretty close to that time because I go running around 8:15ish.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Excellent. Sounds like L4D2: Halforums Edition episode 2 is a go for filming.[DOUBLEPOST=1436385944,1436385792][/DOUBLEPOST]But what level do we want to play? Should we keep going from where we left off, and do Dark Carnival? Or someone have another suggestion?

Dei

Dei

I'm fine with Dark Carnival, we can smash shit with guitars!

Null

Null

Guitars? Man, I'm such a n00b, my guy will probably just fucking play Wonderwall or something.

Dei

Dei

Oh wait, FRIDAY. That's a no go for me, I could do any other weekend day, but Friday is D&D day.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I figured Dark Carnival would be better than The Passing, two gas-can hunting last stands in a row can kinda be a drag.[DOUBLEPOST=1436387089,1436386997][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh wait, FRIDAY. That's a no go for me, I could do any other weekend day, but Friday is D&D day.
Oh. Hrm... Well, my weekend should be open in any case, but Null and Terrik, what about you?

We could do both, after all... could find another 4th for Friday, and still do sat/sun with Dei.

Dei

Dei

I did both The Passing and Dark Carnival with AI the other day and I wanted to kill everyone. The amount of times the AI ran back to the start of the coaster to kill straggling zombies AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Null

Null

Saturday I'm usually hanging with my best friend, I may be on steam but won't have L4D installed there. Sunday's my dad's birthday, so I won't be on much.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I should be free Friday evening.

Just tossing that out there...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Sounds like we do friday with Raven and Null and Sat or Sun with Dei and whoever else we can pick up.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I am also free on Friday and probably Saturday.

GasBandit

GasBandit

All interested parties, please also make sure to add GasBandit to your steam friends list if you haven't already.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

All interested parties, please also make sure to add GasBandit to your steam friends list if you haven't already.
Sent an invite. Worth noting that I am Garbledina on there still.

Terrik

Terrik

Can also play tonight @ 9:15pm EST

Dei

Dei

I could play tonight.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'd be up for something this weekend or Friday if I can get a firm time. I'll be sans voice though because my last one died and I don't think my new one is coming until Monday.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Tonight is probably not going to work for me.

Terrik

Terrik

Tonight is probably not going to work for me.
That's cause you're always snoozin' (on steam)

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's cause you're always snoozin' (on steam)
That just means I'm not at my home computer.

Terrik

Terrik

That just means I'm not at my home computer.
TIL.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Yeah, tonight I'm down.

Terrik

Terrik

Well that can be Dei, you, myself...and whoever else wants in.[DOUBLEPOST=1436404190,1436403874][/DOUBLEPOST]Ill be good in 10 minutes. finishing up teaching my lesson.

Terrik

Terrik

We still on for this tonight?

Null

Null

I hope so, I bought a logitech headset for this.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm planning so. And I think RavenPoe is our 4th for this time.

Terrik

Terrik

Alright, I'll be teaching until 9:15PM EST, and then I'm good to go.

Null

Null

Alright, I'll be teaching until 9:15PM EST, and then I'm good to go.
9:15 eastern is good for me

GasBandit

GasBandit

Roger that.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Blah... and my headset came early any everything. Maybe next time.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, that was intense as hell. I'll post it in the next couple days

Amy

Amy

Well, that was intense as hell. I'll post it in the next couple days
it was funny watching you leave your mates behind.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

A spy!

I was the hero.

Amy

Amy

A spy!

I was the hero.
you really were. They left you 2 die.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Stick to the code!

Amy

Amy

You needed to let Null die more on screen.

Null

Null

You needed to let Null die more on screen.
I'm a born red-shirt, dying for the good of the rest of the more memorable crew.

Amy

Amy

you were the girl right?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Why do I always have to be the hillbilly?

Is it because I'm from Florida?

Null

Null

you were the girl right?
GB was Coach, Terrik was Rochelle, Ravenpoe was Ellis, and Null was Nick.[DOUBLEPOST=1436583565,1436583228][/DOUBLEPOST]
Why do I always have to be the hillbilly?

Is it because I'm from Florida?
Yes.

Amy

Amy

null should be the girl.

Null

Null

Maybe next time. The only game I frequently play as a female in is Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, due to the multiple Asari character classes.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Maybe next time. The only game I frequently play as a female in is Mass Effect 3 multiplayer, due to the multiple Asari character classes.
What, afraid of female avatars? My Saiyan would like a word with you

Null

Null

What, afraid of female avatars? My Saiyan would like a word with you

Is a lack of preference now a fear? I mean, I barely play online as it is. I don't have a problem with it, I just don't do it frequently.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ok, I'm working on the video(s) for last night's match.

In case anybody cares about or wants the music I use in the intro cards, it's this -

GasBandit

GasBandit

Here's part one. Processing is still going on as of 11:30 am central, so it might take a bit for the HD to kick in.

Null

Null

Okay, so next time I need to be the girl, and to die more, for purposes of comedy.

I think I can manage that.

Also, if there's one thing I've learned - and that's a big if - melee weapons are way better than the DEagle in most cases.

Dei

Dei

You can't be the girl if I'm playing, I call her. :/

GasBandit

GasBandit

Part 2, HD is even done this time!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

What difficulty are you guys on? Seems like a lot of friendly fire.

Also, when things go wrong, it's hilarious.

Terrik

Terrik

It hasn't even really gotten to the best part yet.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We're on Normal difficulty. Part 3 is rendering as we speak, it will be up in a couple hours probably.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Part 3 - 720p is done, 1080 probably isn't far behind.

GasBandit

GasBandit

figmentPez

figmentPez

Part 3 - 720p is done, 1080 probably isn't far behind.

Damn, you guys are terrible at sticking together.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Damn, you guys are terrible at sticking together.
I WAS A HERO!

Null

Null

It was Poe's 1st time playing, and my third. So, you know, bite me.

Of course, in the interests of comedy, I will not be improving. In fact, I may have to get worse. I didn't even lead in friendly fire that time.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It was Poe's 1st time playing, and my third. So, you know, bite me.
You are the very essence of a Jersey girl.

Of course, in the interests of comedy, I will not be improving. In fact, I may have to get worse. I didn't even lead in friendly fire that time.
And now you're just Kevin Smith's film, Jersey Girl. :awesome:

I'll have to watch 3 and 4 later, but based on 1 and 2, it'll be a treat.

Dei

Dei

Are you guys playing again tonight? Just wondering if I should sit at my computer waiting with baited breath or sit at my computer doing something else game related. Because that's what I do.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Are you guys playing again tonight? Just wondering if I should sit at my computer waiting with baited breath or sit at my computer doing something else game related. Because that's what I do.
I could play some again. I'm uploading part 5 of the finale as I type... that will then free up enough hard drive space for the next fraps session.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm game if anyone else is!

GasBandit

GasBandit

So Poe and I are standing around, waiting to see who all shows up. Ash, offline. Chad, offline. Dei, away. Null's playing Civ but I bet we could shake him loose if we got a 4th.

Dei

Dei

I'm eating, give me 10.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, Null has yet to respond... so if anybody else is out there who wants to be #4...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Fade was our #4 for his first game ever, so I put it on easy. Maybe it was too easy, nobody died. But I'll produce the videos and upload them.

Dei

Dei

I once again hate you guys the least, but Gas hates us all.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I once again hate you guys the least, but Gas hates us all.
Lol, wait till you see the video and see just how often I stood there letting you all fend for yourselves!

However I blame my high friendly fire count on picking up the grenade launcher. That thing is always trouble.

Dei

Dei

Not enough times, because Poe lived.

Dei

Dei

I feel like I need to swap off the shotgun because I feel so useless when everything gets picked off long range. But I like the shotgun. :/

GasBandit

GasBandit

I feel like I need to swap off the shotgun because I feel so useless when everything gets picked off long range. But I like the shotgun. :/
I prefer the auto shotty as well, but for a while all I had was the hunting rifle and I had to make do.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm all about the assault rifle. Long range auto, firing in short bursts for maximum accuracy.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

One day I'll get a chance to embarrass myself in front of Gas, like my favorite Halforum heroes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

One day I'll get a chance to embarrass myself in front of Gas, like my favorite Halforum heroes.
Have you added me on Steam? I go down my friends list looking for players.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Have you added me on Steam? I go down my friends list looking for players.
Yeah, but I wasn't on. I just mean in the future sometime; if I'd been free tonight I would've certainly jumped in.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

One day I'll get a chance to embarrass myself in front of Gas, like my favorite Halforum hero.

Who is Poe.

FTFY

Amy

Amy

watching @fade play was funny.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Watching fade give Poe shit the same way Nick gives Ellis shit was masterful.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Watching fade give Poe shit the same way Nick gives Ellis shit was masterful.
Sure, sure, make fun of me all you want, but when zombies are coming at you, you want the guy that knows where all the local methdens are so you can pick up some explosives.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Speaking of watching Fade play...

(with special guest: Google Talk notification sound)

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

Parts 3 and 4 coming tomorrow.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So Poe and I are standing around, waiting to see who all shows up. Ash, offline. Chad, offline. Dei, away. Null's playing Civ but I bet we could shake him loose if we got a 4th.
Yeah, sorry. I was sick all night. Something I ate I think.

GasBandit

GasBandit

fade

fade

Yep not so good at the video games.[DOUBLEPOST=1436712102,1436711810][/DOUBLEPOST]The biggest problem with the game was the dialogue. Half the time they were saying the same things you guys were, so it was hard to distinguish. Also because @GasBandit sounds like a large black man in real life.

Dei

Dei

I will say that my husband was watching over my shoulder and saying Gas's back must hurt from carrying us all. :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yep not so good at the video games.[DOUBLEPOST=1436712102,1436711810][/DOUBLEPOST]The biggest problem with the game was the dialogue. Half the time they were saying the same things you guys were, so it was hard to distinguish. Also because @GasBandit sounds like a large black man in real life.
I will say that my husband was watching over my shoulder and saying Gas's back must hurt from carrying us all. :p
Ahhh, I've played with way worse than you guys.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So is Amy just watching, always watching?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Sometimes. Incidentally, anyone on my friends list can watch live when I'm playing something in steam, just pull down the arrow by my name and click "Watch Game."

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Just started watching the Swamp playthrough. The beginning area looks so strangely desolate with fewer infected.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Hey, I like to think I held my own. Who was it pulling Gas's ass out of the fire when he thought he was dead? That's right, me!

... Course, I also set that fire... But that's not important.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I haven't been very happy with the blurry/muddy quality of recent videos... I thought the problem was just that h.264 wasn't good at rendering dark area stuff, but Swamp Fever largely happens during the day and I'm noticing all kinds of smudging and artifacts, so I'm boosting the VBR's floor to 10mbit and trying to re-render the finale video. Hopefully that will clean it up some. But in my research I discovered that a lot of people have problems with Adobe Premiere's h.264 compression and this exact sort of thing. It's discouraging. I wish I had more upstream bandwidth so I might could entertain the idea of uploading uncompressed video, but that's a pipe dream.

GasBandit

GasBandit

[DOUBLEPOST=1436720539,1436720210][/DOUBLEPOST]grrr still so blurry

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

[DOUBLEPOST=1436720539,1436720210][/DOUBLEPOST]grrr still so blurry
Do you have film grain turned on? The compression might be compounding it

GasBandit

GasBandit

Do you have film grain turned on? The compression might be compounding it
I think I do. But, for example, watch Coach's forearm through most of the video, there's no reason it should be that muddy. Also, reference the article I linked earlier showing that Premiere's h.264 compression just sucks balls.

Amy

Amy

Null

Null

So my Steam handle is different than my forum handle - it's Crowe4wfg. But for the purposes of these videos (and comedy), I'm considering changing it.

Possible options:

"YesItsNull"
"CompleteNullard"
"YandereBait"
"NullHalforums"
"CrtlFU"
"ISuckAtFPS"
"ZombieChowNull"

GasBandit

GasBandit

How about Null

Amy

Amy

NullsBallsBowls

Null

Null

How about Null
Nah, that's a stupid name.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

"Xx_Null_xX"

Amy

Amy

Nah, that's a stupid name.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Also, if there's one thing I've learned - and that's a big if - melee weapons are way better than the DEagle in most cases.
I find that a magnum is better in the early stages of a campaign, when it's very useful for picking off small numbers of zombies before they get close. It helps you move faster when the horde isn't on you. Also, if you do get surrounded with a magnum, shoot slower. You don't need to fire multiple bullets in one direction. Spread out your shots.* However, during a rolling crescendo, especially the finale to The Parish, melee weapons are a much better choice.

Also important is what primary weapon you're pairing your secondary with. @GasBandit could benefit from using pistols more often, and a magnum is a good pairing for a shotgun. Switching to the magnum or dual pistols to pick off special infected is usually better than unloading a half-dozen rounds or more.

During these videos I keep hearing "I'm out of ammo", and I'm guessing that's because you're using one of the machine guns (especially the M-16) and using it a lot. If you're going to use a machine gun, you're going to have conserve ammo. Switch to your secondary weapon whenever it's appropriate, burst fire (almost always), and aim for the head. If the horde isn't coming, it's often better to be using your secondary weapon to pick off random zombies, and save ammo for when you really need firepower.

My weapon of choice is the hunting or sniper rifle. Here's why:
- Infinite zombie penetration. A crowd of zombies rushing down a crowded path? 3 or 4 shots can often clear it, in a hallway it can be 1 or 2 shots. 1 bullet from this type of rifle will kill any normal zombie it hits, regardless of where on the body it hits, and will continue traveling.*
- You have to work to run out of ammo. Even if you do get trigger happy (and this isn't advised, due to reload times), you'll probably still make it to the next ammo dump with rounds to spare.
- Highest damage to the tank.

*More on bullet penetration. While sniper/hunter rifles can shoot through thin walls, that usually doesn't matter. What matters is that shotgun blasts and hunter/sniper/magnum bullets pass through zombies, while machine gun and pistol bullets don't.

My preferred weapon pairings for early and mid game:
Sniper Rifle / Magnum
Shotguns / Magnum or Dual Pistols
Machine Gun / anything.

For the late game the pairing is almost always melee. Though the more stationary finales of Dark Carnival, Swamp Fever, etc. are more friendly to pistols, especially when there are multi-level areas you don't want to be jumping off of to make a save.

Also, stop saving your chainsaws for the witch. It's much better to kill her with a shotgun or combined fire.[DOUBLEPOST=1436728146,1436727980][/DOUBLEPOST]
So my Steam handle is different than my forum handle - it's Crowe4wfg. But for the purposes of these videos (and comedy), I'm considering changing it.

Possible options:

"YesItsNull"
"CompleteNullard"
"YandereBait"
"NullHalforums"
"CrtlFU"
"ISuckAtFPS"
"ZombieChowNull"
<Coach voice>"This here is some serious Nullshit." </Coach>

GasBandit

GasBandit

I like autoshotgun/chainsaw. It leaves me at a bit of a disadvantage at range, but it usually trumps witches and everything close by.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I've never liked the chainsaw. It attracts any nearby infected.

But that's just my playstyle, I prefer to be picking off zombies at range, especially off the backs of teammates.

Null

Null

Okay, handle changed.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I haven't been very happy with the blurry/muddy quality of recent videos... I thought the problem was just that h.264 wasn't good at rendering dark area stuff, but Swamp Fever largely happens during the day and I'm noticing all kinds of smudging and artifacts, so I'm boosting the VBR's floor to 10mbit and trying to re-render the finale video. Hopefully that will clean it up some. But in my research I discovered that a lot of people have problems with Adobe Premiere's h.264 compression and this exact sort of thing. It's discouraging. I wish I had more upstream bandwidth so I might could entertain the idea of uploading uncompressed video, but that's a pipe dream.
It's not just you. Premiere has something going on that's been causing more problems than just H.264 compression.

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I've never liked the chainsaw. It attracts any nearby infected.

But that's just my playstyle, I prefer to be picking off zombies at range, especially off the backs of teammates.
If you can save it, the chainsaw makes some finales a joke. For instance, Dark Carnival 4's Line of Death, where you need to run through a single, massive wave of zombies to get into the safe room. Throwables help here, but a chainsaw wielder at the front of the pack can help keep things moving really well. Really, it's built for those times when you MUST keep moving.

Null

Null

I don't know, I kind of like the whole, "You have startled the - BRRGGGHGHGHZZZZ *splatter* uh, nevermind, she's dead" tactic.

I should work on writing some material for this week's production...

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't know, I kind of like the whole, "You have startled the - BRRGGGHGHGHZZZZ *splatter* uh, nevermind, she's dead" tactic.

I should work on writing some material for this week's production...
I think I've figured out, the trick is to make sure you hit the witch in the BACK with the chainsaw. The extra fraction of a second it takes for her to turn around is what lets the chainsaw kill her. If I chainsaw her from the front or side, that seems to be when I get clawed up for my trouble.

figmentPez

figmentPez

You can do that with an auto-shotgun as well. Any shotgun will one-hit kill the witch if you headshot her from close range; if you do it fast enough you won't even startle her first, that's how you get the Cr0wned achievement.(Crone + 0wned, not crown.) The tier 2 shotguns just give you a little big more security because you have time for a second shot if you hit her in the back instead of the head.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

(Crone + 0wned, not crown.)
This is correct, but we still call it "crowning" the Witch when someone does it successfully because it makes more sense entomologly.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

entomologly.
I can only assume that this is a hilariously bastardized 'etymologically'

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, zombies are crawling with bugs....

figmentPez

figmentPez

This is correct, but we still call it "crowning" the Witch when someone does it successfully because it makes more sense entomologly.
Who is "we" because I sure don't. But then, I pronounce "pwned" as owned, and find "pohned" to be silly.

Null

Null

Who is "we" because I sure don't. But then, I pronounce "pwned" as owned, and find "pohned" to be silly.
*makes notes to used "pohned" frequently during next session*

figmentPez

figmentPez

*makes notes to used "pohned" frequently during next session*
I'll laugh every time. I might even start giggling. I said "silly" not "annoying".

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think I didn't look close enough at my auto correct.

I have never, in 205 hours of play time, heard someone call it anything other than crowning. It makes sense: you're putting someone down on the head of the Witch. It's just that it's a shotgun shell, not a crown.

Null

Null

Or, you're shooting her in the crown of the head, which is where the front of the skull fuses with the occipital bone and parietal bones and what covers the neurocranial cavity what your brain sits in.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Or, you're shooting her in the crown of the head, which is where the front of the skull fuses with the occipital bone and parietal bones and what covers the neurocranial cavity what your brain sits in.
This works too.

PatrThom

PatrThom

...and she'll come tumbling after.

--Patrick

fade

fade

Which reminds me... Even as a kid I questioned the effectiveness of vinegar and brown paper for treating skull fractures.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

When are we gonna do this again? I got a promotion at work, which means I'm now slightly drunk in celebration.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Typically, we seem to do it on weekend nights around 9:15 eastern. I was sick sunday, so that night didn't work out... but we did do so friday and saturday!

Dei

Dei

I'm free any day but Thursday and Friday, assuming we stick to the same time. I ususally go out running around 10:15 eastern right now because that's when the sun sets and it's not so hot.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I just downloaded it last night and played through the first episode, to make sure I could map the controls properly in my head (Spoiler alert: took a while).

If anyone doesn't have me on Steam, I'm LCharon13. Am on rarely, but this month, I should be able to play most evenings after 2100/9pm EST. Wednesday's my 100% off day, so that's the one I don't have to shut it down by midnight.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

My Steam profile is here for those of you who have the misfortune of not having me as a friend: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Garbledina

@Officer_Charon I can't seem to find you by that name on Steam.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This is Officer Charon's page.

You can friend him from there.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

@Officer_Charon I can't seem to find you by that name on Steam.
Huh... just checked it out - that's the one, all right. I'm also on the Halforums groups...

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Huh... just checked it out - that's the one, all right. I'm also on the Halforums groups...
Hm. I'll find you through there, then. Or maybe I even have you already. Hm

Dei

Dei

Assuming you friended me last night, that wasn't the name I got a request from. Your log in name and your Steam name aren't necessarily the same.

See Ash's post.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Ah, we're already friends! Naturally. Why wouldn't we be.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

DEEEEEE-URP. Thank you, Ash. Y'all can see how often I play online! :D

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've already got all you mugs in my friends list, including OC and Garbledina.

Null

Null

Yeah I'm already down with O_C (yeah you know me).

Null

Null

Okay so who's free tomorrow at 9 EST?

GasBandit

GasBandit

I should be.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I should be too. Lemme set my alarm so I don't forget...

fade

fade

Probably

GasBandit

GasBandit

If we can get 8, we can give a Vs. match a try.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If we can get 8, we can give a Vs. match a try.
3 vs 3 would be enough, really. I wouldn't do 2 on 2.

Dei

Dei

I'm free next Friday, or this Saturday.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm free next Friday, or this Saturday.
I'd hazard a guess I'll be running a game both Friday and Saturday again.

Terrik

Terrik

me...er..well at 915 anyhow.

Null

Null

me...er..well at 915 anyhow.
I think that's close enough.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Florida Man reporting in

GasBandit

GasBandit

That's 6. If everybody shows, we could ostensibly have a VS match. With room for 2 more if they want in.

Dei

Dei

If people wanted to have a really late night tomorrow, I'll probably be around at midnight EST. :p But my daughter is having a friend sleep over, so I may instead be insane.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If people wanted to have a really late night tomorrow, I'll probably be around at midnight EST. :p But my daughter is having a friend sleep over, so I may instead be insane.
Hah, well, I dunno if I'll still be doing stuff that late... but if it doesn't work out, there's always saturday.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm in. 9:15 Eastern, yes?

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I should be around tonight if y'all need another. I'm taking a 'do what I want' day.

GasBandit

GasBandit

@Zero Esc are you in my friends list? What's your steam name?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

@Zero Esc are you in my friends list? What's your steam name?
Sorry, I thought I was, but doesn't look like it. My handle on there is Captain Esc but I don't know if the visible username is how it works.

Null

Null

Okay, that was awesome fun you guys. Even if we sucked really bad. :)

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think I got some good footage. I'll post it later this weekend.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think I got some humiliating footage. I'll post it later this weekend.
Fixed.

But I had fun. Versus is always crazy.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think I got some good footage. I'll post it later this weekend.
Round one definitely needs to be Halforums Pros Vs Scrubs match, for all 3 minutes that it lasted.

Otherwise it was fun.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Part 1 up.

I swear I didn't intentionally make the teams this way :p after part 2 we rebalance for a closer fight.

[DOUBLEPOST=1437191951,1437191904][/DOUBLEPOST]I was reminded of this...

Dei

Dei

Lol, that was hilarious. My night got basically cancelled because it was too windy for the outdoor movie screen about 20 minutes into the movie. Hopefully we get as many tomorrow/next Friday.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Part 2. After this one, we shuffle the teams around to get a better balance.

Part 3 onward will come tomorrow.

Null

Null

Aw, all my comedy gold quips weren't audible to GB.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah... I switched on Broadcasting by accident and the resulting ping was 500-800. Sorry about the Tank fight I skipped out on.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So the only reason we did anything there is because Ash was away. :([DOUBLEPOST=1437222692,1437222153][/DOUBLEPOST]I don't know why we had so much trouble killing GasJockey in that tunnel.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So the only reason we did anything there is because Ash was away. :([DOUBLEPOST=1437222692,1437222153][/DOUBLEPOST]I don't know why we had so much trouble killing GasJockey in that tunnel.
Cause I was a dancy mother fucker, and for humans, that tunnel is pitch black.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Part 3 -

GasBandit

GasBandit

Part 4!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Aaaand the epic blood-and-puke-soaked final farce.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The finales are ALWAYS the best part in Versus.

Null

Null

That really was a lot of fun.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I plan to try to get another game going in 45 mins. O_C said he'd try to show for this one.

Terrik

Terrik

I plan to try to get another game going in 45 mins. O_C said he'd try to show for this one.
Msg me on steam when you're ready. Ill join.

Dei

Dei

I'm around.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm just getting out of work, still have a 90min drive home.
And I don't own a copy of L4Dx.
And I have a <5Mb/s Internet connection.
And I'm not great at FPS's.
...I guess what I'm saying is that I probably won't be there.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm just getting out of work, still have a 90min drive home.
And I don't own a copy of L4Dx.
And I have a <5Mb/s Internet connection.
And I'm not great at FPS's.
...I guess what I'm saying is that I probably won't be there.

--Patrick
Well, you can still watch the footage. I'm encoding the first part at this very moment. We did pretty well, I think, considering it was O_C's first time (and he only died once), we were playing on Normal difficulty, Hard Rain is a bitch of a map, and yet we all made it onto the boat in the finale. It was pretty tense in some moments though, we were hurting a lot, and multiple witches in those damn cornfields nearly wiped us.

I'm thinking of cranking the difficulty to hard, going forward, just to make sure there's maximum spectacle for the viewers at home.

Null

Null

You're going to get really tired of reviving me.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Well, you can still watch the footage. I'm encoding the first part at this very moment. We did pretty well, I think, considering it was O_C's first time (and he only died once), we were playing on Normal difficulty, Hard Rain is a bitch of a map, and yet we all made it onto the boat in the finale. It was pretty tense in some moments though, we were hurting a lot, and multiple witches in those damn cornfields nearly wiped us.

I'm thinking of cranking the difficulty to hard, going forward, just to make sure there's maximum spectacle for the viewers at home.
Oof, you took him on Hard Rain for his first time? Got tired of breaking them in easy after Null, Raven, and Fade, I guess.

Dei

Dei

While in the lobby, I did suggest swapping to hard just to increase the hilarity.

Though, we would have wiped at said cornfield incident for sure.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, you can still watch the footage. I'm encoding the first part at this very moment.
Well I SAY that, but THE SON OF A BITCH WON'T UNMUDDY NO MATTER WHAT I DO WITH THE GOD DAMN ENCODING SETTINGS.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Oof, you took him on Hard Rain for his first time? Got tired of breaking them in easy after Null, Raven, and Fade, I guess.
First multiplayer experience... I'd gotten a complete game in L4D1 on normal, and played a couple games on normal in 2 to limber up.

It wouldn't have been so bad... had the first witch not found me in the cornfield.

And the second.

And the third one that I got jockeyed onto, before the cornfield even happened...

What I'm trying to say is... Jockeys are dildos.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Well I SAY that, but THE SON OF A BITCH WON'T UNMUDDY NO MATTER WHAT I DO WITH THE GOD DAMN ENCODING SETTINGS.
If you wanted less mud, you shouldn't have played Hard Rain.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Sigh. Even doubling the bitrate is having minimal impact. Shitty shit is shitty. I need my own T3! Then I would be able to just upload uncompressed video.

I give up, uploading the beast now.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Alright, here's the muddy as shit part one.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Can't you just use Handbrake or something?
Or is the muddiness happening because of something on YouTube's end?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Can't you just use Handbrake or something?
Or is the muddiness happening because of something on YouTube's end?

--Patrick
No, it's Premiere's handling of the h.264 codec, unfortunately. Apparently Final Cut Pro doesn't have this problem with H.264, but it's not yet worth it to me to buy a mac just to encode videos only a dozen people are going to watch ;)

PatrThom

PatrThom

No, it's Premiere's handling of the h.264 codec, unfortunately. Apparently Final Cut Pro doesn't have this problem with H.264, but it's not yet worth it to me to buy a mac just to encode videos only a dozen people are going to watch ;)
http://www.x264pro.com/
...too bad it's $300, tho.

Handbrake is free, but you'd have to export it in some sort of lossless format first, and I don't know if you have the disk space for the intermediate file.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Part 2. The rest will come tomorrow.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

We're also rapidly reaching the point where we might wanna consider getting some player campaigns, like I Hate Mountains and Dead Before Dawn.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I dunno what I was pressing when I got Tanked, but it damned for sure wasn't the PTT key... I was cussing up a storm and trying to warn... Guess I panic-pressed. :/

figmentPez

figmentPez

We're also rapidly reaching the point where we might wanna consider getting some player campaigns, like I Hate Mountains and Dead Before Dawn.
Which fan campaign has a level that goes through Disney's Haunted Mansion Ride?

GasBandit

GasBandit

That moment when you went through 30 minutes of encoding, start the youtube upload, then remember you had forgotten to increment the "part 2" to "part 3" on the title placard. Siiiiigh.. ONE MORE TIME

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Which fan campaign has a level that goes through Disney's Haunted Mansion Ride?
That was a Left 4 Dead 1 map, though some of those are still playable in Left 4 Dead 2. However, I don't recall the name...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Part 3

figmentPez

figmentPez

T'was Gas's flashlight that spooked that last witch.

GasBandit

GasBandit

T'was Gas's flashlight that spooked that last witch.
SHSHHSHSHHHH!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Part 4 and the Finale.

Dei

Dei

As an aside, the very first time I ever did Hard Rain was on hard, because my husband and our friend deemed normal to be too easy. I recall getting the achievement for not aggroing any witches, but beyond that I was in a state of terror the whole time.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

It did still seem pretty easy.... my getting Jockeyed atop a Witch and DYING nonwithstanding...

Null

Null

It did still seem pretty easy.... my getting Jockeyed atop a Witch and DYING nonwithstanding...
Getting jockeyed atop a Witch sounds like prime Rule 34 fodder. Just saying.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Getting jockeyed atop a Witch sounds like prime Rule 34 fodder. Just saying.
Too much L4D Rule 34 involves GMod...

Null

Null

Too much L4D Rule 34 involves GMod...
I prefer Ganassa's art, myself.[DOUBLEPOST=1437406325,1437406250][/DOUBLEPOST]Of course, considering what you were saying about your wife and witches (that was you, right?), that makes this topic a bit funnier.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Of course, considering what you were saying about your wife and witches (that was you, right?), that makes this topic a bit funnier.
Yeah, that was me... Dei had JUST gotten done explaining about the number of witches on the map, when out of the corner of my eye was my wife, in a pale grey tank top, hair draped around her face. Scared the piss out of me.

Null

Null

Yeah, that was me... Dei had JUST gotten done explaining about the number of witches on the map, when out of the corner of my eye was my wife, in a pale grey tank top, hair draped around her face. Scared the piss out of me.
"The Witch has Startled Officer_Charon!"

Dei

Dei

Left 4 Dead, now with stunning new 3d effects!

Dei

Dei

Speaking of, I'll be around Friday this weekend, but not Saturday, as my usual Friday shenanigans have been bumped back a day this week.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I know this is from a couple of pages back, but in my experience cr0wning a Witch is much easier if you approach from behind aim for her back, not her head. You have a better chance of getting all of your shotgun pellets to hit, since the back is a bigger target, and if you have an auto shotty then the damage output will still be enough to kill her, before she gets up and starts swiping. Might take more than one shot, but it'll do the job.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Wife and kids going out of town on Friday.

It. Is. ON.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Wife and kids going out of town on Friday.

It. Is. ON.
But who's going to make the experience real?!

Also, if there's still room, I'm in.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Along with me, that makes 4. If we get more, we can do versus again.

Null

Null

So for entertainment purposes do I still have to be the girl?

Dei

Dei

Nope, I'm Rochelle damnit.

Null

Null

Unless you grab the katana, at which point we're pretty much obligated to call you Michonne.

Terrik

Terrik

Ill be there.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Friday at 9? I should be good.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If we're playing versus, it's just as likely neither of you will be Rochelle. You can fight over Zoey though :p

Null

Null

If we're playing versus, it's just as likely neither of you will be Rochelle. You can fight over Zoey though :p
Just like the Infected...

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Aaaand we're back to Rule 34

Dei

Dei

It always goes back to Rule 34.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Sorry guys, I gotta bail on tonight. Didn't realize there was so much to do prepping for my parents' visit this weekend.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

We still on for this to tonight?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Far as I know.[DOUBLEPOST=1437786208,1437785927][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, we got room for 2 more if anyone wants in the VS action.[DOUBLEPOST=1437786649][/DOUBLEPOST]One slot left, last call for VERSUS ACTION

GasBandit

GasBandit

Processing the footage now.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Part 1:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm sorry I couldn't have been there to drag down Gas's team.

Dei

Dei

You should be, halfway through, they got a random ringer and destroyed us.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Anyone else find it funny that this thread is still called "How to play" when there are full campaign videos now? As if, even with those full game recordings, it's still just instructional :p.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

You should be, halfway through, they got a random ringer and destroyed us.
Basically. Not only was she doing amazing long range sniping, but she was aware of that stupid dock strategy (that I never do because it's not FUN). Once that happened, there wasn't much any of us could do.

Had a lot more fun doing the Double Feature (The Sacrifice/The Passing) with everyone though, even if we wiped the first time on the finale.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Part 2:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Part 3

GasBandit

GasBandit

Had a lot more fun doing the Double Feature (The Sacrifice/The Passing) with everyone though, even if we wiped the first time on the finale.
I'd have liked to come along for that, but you guys had 4, and I needed to hurry up and get this footage out the door so I can get back to working on HFA before Amy drives her jeep into my living room and claims it was hacked.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Part 4: Enter the Rando

Amy

Amy

before Amy drives her jeep into my living room and claims it was hacked.
haha.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

Welp... anybody know somewhere that sells edible hats?

Amy

Amy

Welp... anybody know somewhere that sells edible hats?
*she posted sarcastically, using a random picture from Yelp*

GasBandit

GasBandit

*she posted sarcastically, using a random picture from Yelp*
I knew, Amy ;) I knew.

Oh thank christ

Amy

Amy

I knew, Amy ;) I knew.

Oh thank christ

Christ isnt the one to thank :D

Null

Null

I spent a lot of this session dead. It didn't seem like that much until I re-watched them.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Christ isnt the one to thank :D

GasBandit

GasBandit

The Finale!

Null

Null

It seemed like H!TG!RL was getting headshots with a hunting rifle, while hopping backwards. That's just fucking impressive.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'd have liked to come along for that, but you guys had 4, and I needed to hurry up and get this footage out the door so I can get back to working on HFA before Amy drives her jeep into my living room and claims it was hacked.
What I imagine happened next:

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Heh, I'm not seeing many people online at the moment, so I'm guessing nobody's up for L4D tonight? ;)

Dei

Dei

I have D&D tonight. Too busy killing my party. >.>

Amy

Amy

What I imagine happened next:

--Patrick
why would you do this.
I get jumping out of planes, but jumping out of a jeep driven out of a plane? Why?

GasBandit

GasBandit

why would you do this.
I get jumping out of planes, but jumping out of a jeep driven out of a plane? Why?
Because the jeep won't have a parachute, so it'd be best not to be inside it when it impacts the top of the Gas Bandit's skull.

Amy

Amy

but why bother with a jeep at all if its just going to get crushed?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Showmanship.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Grandstanding mixed with plausible deniability.
When they interview you after discovering your Jeep in the smoking crater that used to be the Gasbandit hideout, and ask you how it ended up there, you casually reply, "It was hacked" while hoping they don't find your parachute hidden in the bushes down the road.
That way, @GasBandit's post comes true in a way that fits with your aerial photo.

--Patrick

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Sorry... last night, I played Boatgirls, then fell asleep at my computer. Took that as a sign that I should probably get some more sleep.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Is that what that means? I always thought it meant, "Time for more tea!"

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

Anyone want to play tonight? I'll be around if so.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Sorry, I am not home yet.

Null

Null

Anyone want to play tonight? I'll be around if so.
If I see you on I'll message you.

fade

fade

SEE?!? It wasn't just me!

Null

Null

so who's on for tonight?

Dei

Dei

I'm out for at least three more hours. Maybe less if the wind doesn't die down, but still not anytime soon.

Null

Null

Okay. I can do later if that's more convenient for people.

Dei

Dei

I should be around tonight if anyone else will be around.

Null

Null

I should be around tonight if anyone else will be around.
Yup. Even if we can't get enough for versus, I'm still up for playing, if only to work on "sucking less".

Terrik

Terrik

Good games tonight, guys. Was fun!

Null

Null

Agreed. Dei was absolutely lethal with a Charger!

Terrik

Terrik

Agreed. Dei was absolutely lethal with a Charger!
No kidding. I couldn't last more than a couple seconds, but she was mashing brains out.

Dei

Dei

I think my best was nailing three at once.

Bowielee

Bowielee

ask_steve_by_princessbloodymary-d6g4tkb.png

Null

Null

Yeah, it was impressive, even being on the receiving end of it.

Bowielee

Bowielee

That had to be on purpose....

Null

Null

That had to be on purpose....
It honestly wasn't.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Dammit guys, I take a few nights off and you have an orgy without me?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Dammit guys, I take a few nights off and you have an orgy without me?
It's not called Left 5 Dead...

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Heh, sorry to have missed out on it this weekend. Glad you guys kept the ball rolling without me.

Null

Null

Heh, sorry to have missed out on it this weekend. Glad you guys kept the ball rolling without me.
It wasn't the same without you, but we managed.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It wasn't the same without you, but we managed.
Yep, we did Dead Air and then had fun doing 2vs2 on Crash Course (which has stages long enough for kills to be possible but is short enough that it doesn't take long).

We should look into some custom maps soon. I know Diescraper Redux is a lot of fun, as is I Hate Mountains. I might run Urban Flight to see how it works... maybe Back to School as well. I know Dead Before Dawn is fun too.

Null

Null

Funniest part of 2v2? For 2 rounds, I didn't make the top 4 - out of 4 players - in terms of doing damage to survivors as Infected. One of the Hunter bots was ahead of me. Then I got to play as a Tank.

Null

Null

So, best battle-cry with a charger:

a - "Notice meeeee Sempai!"

b - "Leeeroyyyy Jenkinsss!"

c - "Z-train's got no brakes!"

d - "From the makes of Tank, it's Tank Lite!"

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So, best battle-cry with a charger:

a - "Notice meeeee Sempai!"

b - "Leeeroyyyy Jenkinsss!"

c - "Z-train's got no brakes!"

d - "From the makes of Tank, it's Tank Lite!"
Sempai noticed me actually a community thing in Payday 2 when a Bulldozer shows up.

Yes, there is a mod to give Dozers that faceplate now. It's also been officially acknowledged by the game creators in the White Christmas Heist, where one of the presents you can find contains a dozer bobblehead that has "Sepai noticed me" on the base.

Null

Null

I did not know that, but it's awesome.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You guys up for some L4D tonight?

Dei

Dei

I am many many miles away from my computer for the next two weekends sadly.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I am many many miles away from my computer for the next two weekends sadly.

Dei

Dei

I don't disagree.

Terrik

Terrik

MAYBE MAYBE.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Are you suggesting she stop at Office Max Depot and get one?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Are you suggesting she stop at Office Max Depot and get one?

--Patrick
Well, of course not.

I was saying she should schedule her real life distractions AROUND possible L4D games![DOUBLEPOST=1438990832,1438990291][/DOUBLEPOST]
MAYBE MAYBE.
If the turnout is low, I might have another buddy who can get on around 10 eastern.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'll be around for some.

Null

Null

I'll be there.

Null

Null

So it occurred to me while I was playing Gat Out of Hell with GB the other night that I really, really fucking lag when playing online. That probably contributes to my shitty performance. I mean, most of it is the fact that I'm a goddamn perma-n00b, but still.

GasBandit

GasBandit

That lag was indeed pretty fierce.

Null

Null

That lag was indeed pretty fierce.
I was frequently a good 4 or 5 seconds behind you, easily. Which is a killer in co-op and group play.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Anybody still interested in playing? If we play again this weekend I don't think I'll be able to record it, I've got 500 gigs of Don't Starve footage to edit down.

Dei

Dei

I can on Saturday, I don't think I can on Friday.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I can be around for a Saturday game.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Saturday 8 central sound good then?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Saturday 8 central sound good then?
Sounds fine to me.

Null

Null

I don't know if I'll be available Saturday night or not.

Dei

Dei

I can once again attempt to get my husband to be less lame and hang with us.

Dei

Dei

We went out for dinner (later than I wanted) and so I'm probably going to be late now because there's a 20 min wait. Will keep your apprised about *how* late.

Terrik

Terrik

I may or.may.not be there tonight. I'll be online.eventually, but whether you guys are there or not is another story.

Dei

Dei

I lied, I will be on time.

Terrik

Terrik

Actually I don't wanna.miss a LFD2 night. I'll come back home and be online by 915pm est

Terrik

Terrik

Thanks for playing @Dave you kicked ass.

Dave

Dave

I did not. Unless you call dying "kicking ass". I think I only killed someone once until the last time when I was the tank, but that's only because I was a tank. Even then you almost got away!

GasBandit

GasBandit

I did not. Unless you call dying "kicking ass". I think I only killed someone once until the last time when I was the tank, but that's only because I was a tank. Even then you almost got away!
Watch the Vs videos, dying happens all the time, you did really well. Amazingly well considering it was your first time.

Dei

Dei

It's ok, the next round we played, Terrik and I failed it up all over the place.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Anybody up for this this weekend? Saturdayish maybe?

Dei

Dei

Saturday yes

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Saturday yes
I'm probably playing Castle Crashers on Saturday with Jay. If that doesn't actually happen, I'll show up for this.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm probably playing Castle Crashers on Saturday with Jay. If that doesn't actually happen, I'll show up for this.
What time is Jay's Castle Crashers session?[DOUBLEPOST=1440696297,1440696274][/DOUBLEPOST]My buddy Adam (no relation to HF's Adam) may also be joining us.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

What time is Jay's Castle Crashers session?[DOUBLEPOST=1440696297,1440696274][/DOUBLEPOST]My buddy Adam (no relation to HF's Adam) may also be joining us.
8 PM EST was the previous time, but who knows how long the game would be?

GasBandit

GasBandit

8 PM EST was the previous time, but who knows how long the game would be?
Yeah, I don't know how long Castle Crashers goes in a session as I've never played it.

As L4D is generally more easy to predict, what if we moved ours up a few hours? Say, 6pm Eastern (5 central, 4 mountain)?

Dei, would that time work for you?

Dei

Dei

Maybe? I theoretically have no life.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Maybe? I theoretically have no life.
Yeah, but you have kids... and most of my real life friends who have kids usually give me the ol' "ooh, no, we can't do anything this weekend, we've got 2 soccer games and 3 birthdays to go to. Maybe next time!"

Terrik

Terrik

So none on Friday, yes?

GasBandit

GasBandit

So none on Friday, yes?
I might not be able to make friday. But if enough of you want to, go wild.

Dei

Dei

Honestly, right now most of my running around is during the week. :p Also, I only have one kid who actually does stuff, the other one is content to sit in front of his computer forever if I'd let him.

Terrik

Terrik

I'll be online at my usual time if anyone feels like playing.

Terrik

Terrik

Do we have a time estimate for today? I'm going out, but I'll make sure I'm back in time if I know what time we're starting.

Dei

Dei

I think we're starting early today. 6pm EST?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Do we have a time estimate for today? I'm going out, but I'll make sure I'm back in time if I know what time we're starting.
I think we're starting early today. 6pm EST?
Yes, 6pm EST (5 central, 4 mountain)
My buddy jadam says he'll be there too but he flakes on me on occasion.

Terrik

Terrik

6? -_-. well we'll see I guess.

Dei

Dei

If you paid attention to the thread earlier, you could have spoken up about the time. ;)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Really, it was being moved because I'd be playing something else around the same time... which is whole unnecessary really, if you guys could get a full team at the normal time.

Terrik

Terrik

Meh, I'll try to make it. Maybe I'll rearrange things to go out after we play a round or something

Null

Null

I'll be free around 6:30

Dei

Dei

Just pop join game and hop in!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ha, tonight's matches were brutal.

Null

Null

Just pop join game and hop in!
I did, and managed not to be too bad this time.

Dei

Dei

Was pretty fun, a lot of random frustrating things, but enough humor to cancel it out. ;)

Terrik

Terrik

I am dismayed how much better @GasBandit did after I died.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dei

Dei

Of course, you don't have the best video where Ash and I left Ellis to die and he limped to victory anyways.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Of course, you don't have the best video where Ash and I left Ellis to die and he limped to victory anyways.
That was unreal. I wish I had been recording that one.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That was unreal. I wish I had been recording that one.
I KNEW it would happen to. I saw it coming a mile away.

figmentPez

figmentPez

"I don't think the teams are even anymore."

Well, of course not, the survivors have a ninja on their team!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Note: Attacking the Witch as Special Infected does not wake her up. It does, however, damage her.

GasBandit

GasBandit

"I don't think the teams are even anymore."

Well, of course not, the survivors have a ninja on their team!
Oh just wait till next time. I've replaced everybody with a new model, now.

Dei

Dei

I'm free Friday! Who wants to play tomorrow?!

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm free Friday! Who wants to play tomorrow?!
I'm in, but it'll probably have to be 8 central (9 eastern, 7 mountain)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I can make that.

Null

Null

That shouldn't be a problem for me. I may be drinking. If I start singing during a match, i have definitely been drinking.

Terrik

Terrik

That shouldn't be a problem for me. I may be drinking. If I start singing during a match, i have definitely been drinking.
Join the club.

Ill be done teaching @ 915pm est per usual.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'll see if my buddy wants in on it.[DOUBLEPOST=1441313380,1441312953][/DOUBLEPOST]He says he's in. I also told him he needs to pick a new handle, so that I have something other to call him than Adam.

PatrThom

PatrThom

something other to call him than Adam.
...or his other handle.

--Patrick

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I would love to... except I have a rare date night with wifey, going to the BaconFest downtown.

I am POSSIBLY available later, but not likely.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I would love to... except I have a rare date night with wifey, going to the BaconFest downtown.

I am POSSIBLY available later, but not likely.
It's hard to think of a more valid reasoning for flaking out on L4D night than bacon and romance.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

It's also the Craft Brew Fest this weekend.

I don't have tickets. :(

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Just a heads up: I'm getting a bad storm tonight... so if I'm not at the game, it's because the power's out or my computer's fried.

Terrik

Terrik

1 more class to teach. THEN ITS ON.

Null

Null

It was fun, but I was nowhere near drunk enough to sing.

Dave

Dave

And I found out I'm a spitter, not a smoker.

PatrThom

PatrThom

And I found out I'm a spitter, not a smoker.
A dipper, not a puffer?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

figmentPez

figmentPez

"Do I look like one of the them?"

No, Louis, you look like a total fucking weeb.

figmentPez

figmentPez

"Francis just teleported to your side, so unfair"

Not that unfair, there is a door you can open right near there that would have allowed Francis to just walk right in. If Gas and Dave had headed right for that door, they might have been able to save Dei.

Dei

Dei

I still enjoy the way I just abandoned everyone on the first level. My Terrik moment of the night. ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Give this one 20 mins or so to finish processing the HD. I'm posting it now cause I gotta go to work for a bit.

Null

Null

Man, I just got more and more surly as the night went on.

Dave

Dave

Why do we look like half naked anime chicks?

Null

Null

Why do we look like half naked anime chicks?
Because that's the mod GB was running.

Dave

Dave

He's a weird dude.

Dei

Dei

Since tomorrow is a (US) holiday, would anyone want to get a game together tonight? Otherwise I'll probably just mindlessly tend camp in DST all night again. ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm down for whatever, though DST sounds equally good to me.

Null

Null

I'm down for whatever, though DST sounds equally good to me.
If I'm on, I'm down for it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'd be good for L4D. I could use something else to suck at today.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I might jump in if the fella and I are home. Don't wait up or anything, and please don't turn my Nick into a big-boobied woman.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Shall we say 8pm central, as per usual then?

Cajungal

Cajungal

I might jump in if the fella and I are home. Don't wait up or anything, and please don't turn my Nick into a big-boobied woman.
Or if you must, leave the white jacket.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Nick was the one with the giant horns and hair tentacles.

But don't worry, I've already swapped out mods, no anime chicks this time.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Nick was the one with the giant horns and hair tentacles.

But don't worry, I've already swapped out mods, no anime chicks this time.
Makes me curious about other mods. Could we all be giant platypi???

GasBandit

GasBandit

Makes me curious about other mods. Could we all be giant platypi???
There's all kinds of crazy mods on the workshop. You never know. Frankly I'm surprised I DIDN'T find the pony mods Dei wanted.

Dei

Dei

:eek:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

There's all kinds of crazy mods on the workshop. You never know. Frankly I'm surprised I DIDN'T find the pony mods Dei wanted.
It DOES exist...

Null

Null

I believe the term for that is Crazy Awesome.

Are there mods for the Infected as well?

Dei

Dei

Pinky Pie as Coach is so wrong. SO WRONG.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I believe the term for that is Crazy Awesome.

Are there mods for the Infected as well?
Yes. You'll see.
Hrm, wonder why it ain't on the steam workshop.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Sounds like Nick's prom night.

Dei

Dei

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=126391883

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=126383146

Honestly though, I find anthropomorphic Ponies far too creepy. I made my Rochelle/Zoey into Chloe from Life is Strange. :p

Terrik

Terrik

Id be up for a game.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gonna start inviting people to chat to get this party started.[DOUBLEPOST=1441587390,1441587241][/DOUBLEPOST]@Cajungal what's your steam name?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yes. You'll see.
Hrm, wonder why it ain't on the steam workshop.
Because Hasbro would probably stomp them into the ground over IP issues, I'm guessing.

--Patrick

Cajungal

Cajungal

Gonna start inviting people to chat to get this party started.[DOUBLEPOST=1441587390,1441587241][/DOUBLEPOST]@Cajungal what's your steam name?
Can't make it :( another time

Dei

Dei

Still didn't answer!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Can't make it :( another time
Still need it, so I can add you, for next time.

Null

Null

So we just did some versus, GB & myself vs Dei, Zero Esc, and Terrik. Except for one round where GB and I destroyed them, it was generally REALLY close.

Terrik

Terrik

Maybe if my team would stop Terriking, we would win.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Encoding the footage. I think you guys are gonna like the mods this time. Won't be up until tomorrow morning probably, however.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Maybe if my team would stop Terriking, we would win.
When Dei kills you, I'm going to testify in her defense.

Dei

Dei

11752458_828087693956118_8489927118110728036_n.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

figmentPez

figmentPez

An interesting thing about the special infected, a musical sting will play when each one spawns. If it's quiet enough, and you know what the cues mean, you can tell what special infected are headed your way.

GasBandit

GasBandit

An interesting thing about the special infected, a musical sting will play when each one spawns. If it's quiet enough, and you know what the cues mean, you can tell what special infected are headed your way.
Yeah, I used to pick up on those a lot more when I wasn't playing 4 player... with everybody jabbering all the time, I usually miss the leitmotifs.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Now that it's over and Terrik isn't getting us killed anymore, we can all look back on this and laugh ... at Terrik.

"Die, witch!"
"TERRIK!"

Dei

Dei

I was counting how many times one of us was killed by Terrik in hard mode. :/

GasBandit

GasBandit

Null

Null

Now that it's over and Terrik isn't getting us killed anymore, we can all look back on this and laugh ... at Terrik.

"Die, witch!"
"TERRIK!"
Contrast that with me and GB in the mall:
GB enters control room, sees Witch RIGHT FUCKING THERE as he almost walks into her. I'm right behind him. GB: "Oh, fuck, the Witch is right in the control room!" Me: *walks right up to the Witch and empties the combat shotgun into her face, annihilating her* "Wait, that was a Witch?" I'd thought it was just a regular infected when I started shooting.

Terrik

Terrik

I was counting how many times one of us was killed by Terrik in hard mode. :/
Only the strong survive.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Only the strong survive.
Confession time: when you and Dei were lying down in Dead Center stage 3, I thought about emptying my shotgun into you, but then I thought, "well, he did come back for her."

GasBandit

GasBandit

Watching the video, Terrik really did try to do the team thing in the mall finale.

Dei

Dei

And we gave him lots of praise for it in the lobby. ;)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Watching the video, Terrik really did try to do the team thing in the mall finale.
It was a little late, sadly. That finale is not geared in the survivors' favor.

Terrik

Terrik

Really feeling the love.

Dei

Dei

It's ok Terrik, I still love you, even though I hate you.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Really feeling the love.
Makes your tiny survivor heart swell up to Goliath size.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man is the Boomer, Hank Hill is the Tank, and you mentioned at some point that the Smoker got turned into Snoop Dog, but I can't figure out what the Hunter is.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man is the Boomer, Hank Hill is the Tank, and you mentioned at some point that the Smoker got turned into Snoop Dog, but I can't figure out what the Hunter is.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=502764889

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

WOOP WOOP WOOP!

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

WOOP WOOP WOOP!
I will say that after a while, hearing that same noise for the "zombies" it started getting irritating (esp during hordes)

I'd love to join you guys once I get my laptop fixed.

Though I've only ever played single-player, so I have no idea if I'm any good.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I have no idea if I'm any good.
That is in no way a requirement. Several people who've played with us had their very first game with us.