How would you want to be buried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Singularity.EXE

As I don't plan on dying, rather, having my consciousness transferred to a much more suitable vassal, such a robotic shell, I will have complete control over my body's future. As such it will receive a an unassuming send off. Left in the middle of a prairie, where the animals or the earth can decide what to do with it.

Remember kids, the body is not a temple, it is a vessel to be shed in place of a more suitable and more durable metal husk at our earliest convenience.

C

chakz

Singularity.EXE said:
As I don't plan on dying, rather, having my consciousness transferred to a much more suitable vassal, such a robotic shell, I will have complete control over my body's future. As such it will receive a an unassuming send off. Left in the middle of a prairie, where the animals or the earth can decide what to do with it.

Remember kids, the body is not a temple, it is a vessel to be shed in place of a more suitable and more durable metal husk at our earliest convenience.
Ra's all ghuld? Is that you?

I'm simple,so no fancy booby trapped stuff for me.

Either a large burial mound or preferably a viking burial where I float out to the horizon in a giant blaze.

Just Me said:
I'm simple,so no fancy booby trapped stuff for me.

Either a large burial mound or preferably a viking burial where I float out to the horizon in a giant blaze.
Make your pyre-boat the decommissioned Queen Mary 2, and I approve.

North_Ranger

Staff member
In real life: Let the docs pick up the pieces they can stuff into other people, cremate the rest, plant a tree. Or maybe saw off one of my hands post-mortem, and have it mummified into a permanent "flipping the bird" position, plated in gold and put under a tasteful, bullet-proof glass. And make it so in my will that the least favourite descendant gets diddly unless he keeps my mummified hand on his mantle or another prominent location until he himself kicks the bucket.

If money were no object: Hmm... I'll get back to you on that.

Well, if money is no object:

Bronzed, standing atop a chair, looking triumphant, with several naked women looking up at me while I'm throwing the horns. The statue must rotate with the sun to always face it, and the base will have motion sensors with a voice recording that randomly compliments passers by. Last, a slight current will flow through the statue to keep birds from crapping on it.

Wahad said:
Shawnacy said:
Cremated.
Got a horrible fear of being buried alive and I'm not taking chances.
And burning alive is better?
Quicker.

Plus there's also that nagging concern that I'm just another bit of trash that isn't properly going to be redistributed into the ecosystem.
And why the hell would I want my family burdened with making sure my expensive funeral is paid for and dedicating time/money to keeping my gravesite well cared for?
The problem with the whole thing is that some people have the misconception that respect for the dead requires keeping a body preserved. If they feel I deserve a tombstone or something with my name on it that's fine and understandable. Just make sure I'm not buried underneath it.

I don't have anything against cremating, personally, if it came off as that.

Just wanted to see how you preferred burning alive over buried alive. Fair enough, I suppose.

Shawnacy said:
Wahad said:
Shawnacy said:
Cremated.
Got a horrible fear of being buried alive and I'm not taking chances.
And burning alive is better?
Quicker.

Plus there's also that nagging concern that I'm just another bit of trash that isn't properly going to be redistributed into the ecosystem.
And why the hell would I want my family burdened with making sure my expensive funeral is paid for and dedicating time/money to keeping my gravesite well cared for?
The problem with the whole thing is that some people have the misconception that respect for the dead requires keeping a body preserved. If they feel I deserve a tombstone or something with my name on it that's fine and understandable. Just make sure I'm not buried underneath it.
Partly it's a religious thing. Some see it as sacreligious to burn the body. Then there are some who feel the soul will sleep in the body until the second coming. And then there are those who feel the way of the body will affect the soul, so like getting shot in the face is going to scar you in the afterlife, completely ignoring decomposition and such.

"My God! He's become a skeleton! This is grave is currrrrrrsed!"

Well, once I'm dead I'm sure I won't have much care for what happens to my body, so I can't really bring myself to care much about it before I'm dead either. I'd prefer my survivors spend as little as possible dealing with my corpse and save the bulk of my life insurance for themselves.

J

JCM

I´d love to have my body lost in some jungle while travelling.

Im dead, I dont want my loved ones to waste their time crying over me, but I want them to move on and live their lives, for life´s too short already, and there´s no real guarantee that there will be a next one.

To extravagant?

In honesty though I have not thought about it though. Maybe being turned to ash or having my body be buried in a container that will biodregae relatively quickly and plant a tree over the grave?

I told my wife I always wanted to be more artistic, and so if I don't learn to paint by the time I die, I told her to put my ashes inside a huge thing of paint mix and just make a whole bunch of paintings with it. Told her not to do a portrait though, that would just be creepy. :toocool:

W

WolfOfOdin

I'd like my head to be electrically animated via brain stimulation so my eyes move and such, then mounted in a bullet proof case and sent to my grandparents, with the legal obligation that they can never get rid of it and must have it placed on their dinner table.

WolfOfOdin said:
I'd like my head to be electrically animated via brain stimulation so my eyes move and such, then mounted in a bullet proof case and sent to my grandparents, with the legal obligation that they can never get rid of it and must have it placed on their dinner table.
From the other thread, I judge your cause just. Now I just wish I had the technology, legal powers, or funds to make it so for you.

Maybe all three will be solved by the time you die.

I've already told my NOK that I want my body burned and put in a coffee can a la The Big Lebowski as to better fulfill my request that they "burn the body; spend the money."

General Fuzzy McBitty said:
I've already told my NOK that I want my body burned and put in a coffee can a la The Big Lebowski as to better fulfill my request that they "burn the body; spend the money."
I'm sorry sir, but $180 is our most modest receptacle.

Honestly, I haven't really thought much about how I want to be buried. The idea of having a tree planted in soil mixed with the ashes is a very intriguing one though. If I ever become wealthy enough to have a large family property, it might be neat for that to become a tradition amonst the family. That way there would eventually be a whole grove of ancestors for the generations to come.

GasBandit

Staff member
If I had my druthers, I'd have them heave my fat, bloated, smelly unembalmed carcass off the roof of a downtown skyscraper at 12:15pm.

Or, if that won't work, shot out of a cannon aimed to hit the capitol dome in Washington D.C.

If money were not an issue, Frozen in Carbonite! :D

More realistically, donate any useable organs, then cremated and ashes spread wherever my loved ones cared to. I would NOT want to sit on a shelf somewhere. That's always struck me as a bit creepy.

Realistically: harvest the useful organs, plastinate the rest, let med srudents use what's left.

Unrealistically: Robocop, dude.

Baerdog7 said:
Honestly, I haven't really thought much about how I want to be buried. The idea of having a tree planted in soil mixed with the ashes is a very intriguing one though. If I ever become wealthy enough to have a large family property, it might be neat for that to become a tradition amonst the family. That way there would eventually be a whole grove of ancestors for the generations to come.
Sounds like a good idea to me!

H

Heavan

I've already planned out something extravagant, minus the 'money is no object' bit! I want to be cremated, and have whatever relative I least like be legally obligated to fly, personally, to every single country in the world and leave a single ash there. They have to do it themselves, no mailing the ash to someone in the country. And they have to fly first class where possible.

Going broke from doing that will be my eternal gift to them.

I actually want my body donated to one of the forensics farms for scientific study and training of police but my wife won't let me. I'll probably be buried. So boring. Put me in a field to rot for a couple weeks and then let some students try and figure out what REALLY killed me!

Edrondol said:
I actually want my body donated to one of the forensics farms for scientific study and training of police but my wife won't let me. I'll probably be buried. So boring. Put me in a field to rot for a couple weeks and then let some students try and figure out what REALLY killed me!
"Well, it seems the weight of the flappy old hooties was too much for him to bear..."

P

Pojodan

Who needs to be buried when you live forever?

Should my secret weakness be discovered somehow, though, I'd want anything of use to be removed, the rest cremated then dusted into the same place my grandfather was dusted: Odell Lake in central Oregon.

I

Iaculus

chakz said:
Singularity.EXE said:

Ra's all ghuld? Is that you?

Doubt it.

The metal lives...

On-topic, I did rather like one idea mentioned in an earlier incarnation of this thread; to wit, having my body dressed in a Superman costume before being dropped out of a plane over a major city centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.