I wish I were Bisexual

Status
Not open for further replies.
@NR: ya beat me to the punch. Where're all tghe girls who want us over here? Let'sm ove to the US together :D
I thought about it once. But I couldn't, really.

That's why I'm trying to get people to come here! Beer, fun Medieval stuff, free education, decent doctors, relaxed attitude towards frontal nudity... :D[/QUOTE]

How 'bout the last week of october, or somewhere in November? :-P

So.. why are people angry that you make a semi-serious joke about wanting to be bi-sexual?
That's what I was asking before things got derailed there... I don't know. Some people REALLY don't like it when I say it, though.[/QUOTE]

I don't like it when you write it, mostly because I read your words like you sound like Daffy Duck.

Cajungal

Staff member
Sounds like it's a mixture of people being hypersensitive and not wanting their lifestyle turned into a... joke? I guess? Maybe their point is that everyone has problems, and being bi isn't as easy as some might think. Sure, you might be attracted to more people, but there might also be double the problems. Some people don't like having their ethnicity/religion/sexuality discussed like that... maybe because they feel like it's being taken too lightly. I dunno, I'm not articulate right now.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Btw I didn't think at all that you meant any harm by what you said, or that you meant to undermine anyone or whatever... just thinkin it through.

North_Ranger

Staff member

That's why I'm trying to get people to come here! Beer, fun Medieval stuff, free education, decent doctors, relaxed attitude towards frontal nudity... :D
How 'bout the last week of october, or somewhere in November? :-P[/QUOTE]

Preferably November. But I expect you to bring with you at least one attractive, available heterosexual female, under 30 years, with you.

Cajungal

Staff member
@NR: ya beat me to the punch. Where're all tghe girls who want us over here? Let'sm ove to the US together :D

That's why I'm trying to get people to come here! Beer, fun Medieval stuff, free education, decent doctors, relaxed attitude towards frontal nudity... :D[/QUOTE]

I'd love to go on a whirlwind adventure and meet our non-US members... maybe one day my stories will sell and I'll go on tour.

That's why I'm trying to get people to come here! Beer, fun Medieval stuff, free education, decent doctors, relaxed attitude towards frontal nudity... :D

Preferably November. But I expect you to bring with you at least one attractive, available heterosexual female, under 30 years, with you.[/QUOTE]

If I had attractive, available heterosexual females under thirty willing to go on trips to farawayistan at the drop of a hat around me, I'd be happier than I am. For most of my friends, you'd ahve to drop the "available" clause. Or the "willing to go on a trip with me" bit; or the "heterosexual". Or the "female", I guess, technically.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I'd love to go on a whirlwind adventure and meet our non-US members... maybe one day my stories will sell and I'll go on tour.
Please do. I'll try to get a new living room lamp by then. I know how irritating it is to wake up in the middle of the night to camera flashes and snickering...

I don't think I got what you were referring to, though... explain it, dammit!
In high school, if a girl had an awesome ass, it was agreed she had to have some Mexican blood.

Also, my first girlfriend was Mexican and... yeah.[/QUOTE]

Ahhhhh. Well, that's not really true though... all Latin women tend to have the awesome inferior. Look at J-Lo, she's Puerto Rican, not even HALF Mexican.

But most of my friends are boob guys, though. And THEY'RE mexican too.

Sounds like it's a mixture of people being hypersensitive and not wanting their lifestyle turned into a... joke? I guess? Maybe their point is that everyone has problems, and being bi isn't as easy as some might think. Sure, you might be attracted to more people, but there might also be double the problems. Some people don't like having their ethnicity/religion/sexuality discussed like that... maybe because they feel like it's being treated like a novelty or something. I dunno, I'm not articulate right now.
Like being single means no problems either? Pffft.

My comment was more on the "wow, it'd be awesome if my hormones didn't mean I inherently discriminate those I'm attracted to". I don't mean to say they have it EASIER.

I still envy them, though.

Cajungal

Staff member
I agree, it's all silliness. It's an innocent comment to me. Sometimes I tell people I wish I'd grown up in a Jewish family, because their culture is so interesting. And then I could use yiddish idioms without feeling like kind of a douchebag. I haven't offended anyone yet... I'm not trying to make light of the religion/culture. I just think it's fascinating.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

(Plus I prefer many of their customs to Christian ones.)

So.. why are people angry that you make a semi-serious joke about wanting to be bi-sexual?
That's what I was asking before things got derailed there... I don't know. Some people REALLY don't like it when I say it, though.[/QUOTE]

Do you think they think you are trying to say you don't think homosexuality is genetic or something? I mean... it seems like a stretch but I can't figure out why this would bother anyone...

North_Ranger

Staff member

Preferably November. But I expect you to bring with you at least one attractive, available heterosexual female, under 30 years, with you.[/QUOTE]

If I had attractive, available heterosexual females under thirty willing to go on trips to farawayistan at the drop of a hat around me, I'd be happier than I am. For most of my friends, you'd ahve to drop the "available" clause. Or the "willing to go on a trip with me" bit; or the "heterosexual". Or the "female", I guess, technically.[/QUOTE]

Dude... what's the legal drinking age in Belgium?

L

Lally

Is my vocal expressing of "hey, yeah, you know what, if my hormones or whatever weren't preventing it, I'd love to be able to love equally, no matter the gender" an insensitive remark in any way I'm missing?
Not when you phrase it that way, no. If you were to start out with the Woody Allen quote, I could see some bisexuals getting offended, but if you say it the way you phrased it in that quote, I don't see how anyone could get angry except zealots, and as you said, picometers and stuff.

I think it's really romantic to think that one could be attracted to someone's personality (their "soul" if you will) primarily, and that causes love for the body. I have never been with a girl before, but if I was single and I met someone that stimulated my "soul" I think the rest could fall into place regardless of their gender.

If I had attractive, available heterosexual females under thirty willing to go on trips to farawayistan at the drop of a hat around me, I'd be happier than I am. For most of my friends, you'd ahve to drop the "available" clause. Or the "willing to go on a trip with me" bit; or the "heterosexual". Or the "female", I guess, technically.[/QUOTE]

Dude... what's the legal drinking age in Belgium?[/QUOTE]

14. But I'm not really willing to go that low :-P

Cajungal

Staff member
I hadn't even considered that, espy. That could be offensive to some if they thought he meant it that way. If they interpreted it like that, he'd sound no better than those girls who talk loudly about how they've kissed a girl when they're drunk.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I agree, it's all silliness. It's an innocent comment to me. Sometimes I tell people I wish I'd grown up in a Jewish family, because their culture is so interesting. And then I could use yiddish idioms without feeling like kind of a douchebag. I haven't offended anyone yet... I'm not trying to make light of the religion/culture. I just think it's fascinating.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

(Plus I prefer many of their customs to Christian ones.)
I actually managed to do that once when I was in Ireland. One of the American exchange students was this easy-going African American fellow. I didn't get to talk with him much, him being more of the 'jock' type and me being a nerd ^^ But at one party I was talking with him, and I remember hearing some joke and (for some reason, call it a brain fart) saying "Oh snap!". He looked at me like I had just shown him a photograph of me spanking his grandma, and didn't speak to me again.

I guess I managed to offend him :(

Also, some interest in Jewish culture here as well. Partly because I'm always interested in different cultures and religions, and partly because I've had the misfortune of running into Holocaust deniers - and was prompted to study the matter further to prove them wrong.

---------- Post added at 04:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 AM ----------

14. But I'm not really willing to go that low :-P
Wouldn't work anyway as an incentive. It's 18 in Finland.

Also, not my thing either.

Do you think they think you are trying to say you don't think homosexuality is genetic or something? I mean... it seems like a stretch but I can't figure out why this would bother anyone...
Probably, some people are too insecure about their identity.

I dunno, while I do think it's an overreaction, I could understand someone getting pissed.
I mean, so let's say Calleja basically said during a drunken rant "I wish I was bi so I could double my chances of getting laid!"
This can basically be stripped down to " I wish I was [MINORITY] so I could [GET PERCEIVED BENEFIT].
Would you get upset if someone said "I wish I was black so I could get affirmative action!"? Or how about "I wish I was crippled so I could get a better parking space!"?
I mean, that's pretty insulting. That's not how Calleja meant it, but perhaps that's how those other people perceived it.

fade

Staff member
I think the idea of two men having sex is fairly gross. That doesn't in anyway mean that I have anything against homosexuals. I couldn't care one way or the other if someone is gay or straight. I've noticed a lot lately that people are confusing "tolerance" and "acceptance" with "liking". I mean, I tolerate people who eat carrots just fine, but the idea of eating a carrot is still disgusting. But now I hear people saying "you think gay sex is gross? You're a homophobe!"

Dave

Staff member
I routinely say things like, "Man! The only parking spot open is handicapped! Should a drag a leg?"

It's called a joke.

O

Occasional Poster

and I always say "Man, I wish I were an astronaut so I could go to the moon"
You jerk! Do you think going to the moon is just a joke for astronauts!? It's lonely out in space! And Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids, in fact it's cold as hell! God! :mad:

I routinely say things like, "Man! The only parking spot open is handicapped! Should a drag a leg?"

It's called a joke.
Yeah, I used to say that too.

AND NOW LOOK AT ME! :waah:

Also that would be a hell no on the blue bunny guy. Although the color is nice.

You'll never go broke betting that someone, somewhere will be offended by anything you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.