Introduce Yourself!

Ok peeps, I been lurking for way to long. I pop in every now and then but after reading the secret santa thread and feeling all warm and fuzzy I decided I'm going to try and post more. Starting now. Ask Me Anything.

Basics in case you want some starting points.

21 - Male - Australia......G'day Mate

Hobbies include video games, drinking and martial arts. I also collect swords and other assorted weaponry.

So who wants the first shot?

Dave

Staff member
Whom do you feel is the proper representative of the TYPICAL Australian in contemporary American culture?

We've had Crocodile Dundee, Steve Irwin and...(no, the Flight of the Conchords guys were from NZ)...um...Mel Gibson. Thoughts?

Whom do you feel is the proper representative of the TYPICAL Australian in contemporary American culture?

We've had Crocodile Dundee, Steve Irwin and...(no, the Flight of the Conchords guys were from NZ)...um...Mel Gibson. Thoughts?
Y'know, that's a really unfair question. I mean, say the same for Belgium and you'd pretty much give me a choice between Tintin, Poirot, and Dutroux...:-P

Whence the name?
Do you really consider yourself a lurker? I recognize your name :)
What subboard do you think holds your interest most?
What's your preferred type of alcoholic beverage? How do you feel about beer?

Ok im in bed posting from my mobile so forgive the hand typing of the questions. I can never find the highlight text function. Copy and paste is easy though :p

What martial art do I study?

Shotokan Karate Do. Been doing it for ten years. Had my shodan for 3 years. Also been helping out my sensei in the 2 junior classes for about 4 years.
Also starting up ju jitsu when school goes back. Thought it might be fun to learn a different style. Also help when a pack of twenty 6 year olds decide they want to use me as a punching bag.

What swords do I collect?

Anything that looks pretty. I have about 14 display samurai swords. All different quality levels. The ones with the fake white snakeskin scabbards are pretty cool looking. Some random dragon swords, the sword from Blade which also has a nice little dagger hidden in the handle. No hand slicey bits though.
I have a pretty cool looking 2 prong spear. Trying to convince my friend who is also a collector to sell his naganata. I want it so bad. The blade things from Chronicles of Riddick. Some sai, tonfa, nunchaku, a shinai (kendo sword) and 2 bokken (training samurai swords) oh and just got a pair of kama too.

Best cultural representative.
Hmmm this one is hard.
I used to think it was awesome that the guy from lethal weapon was aussie. Until Mel went all wackjob insane. Now i just "forget" that he isnt an american.
Croc Dundee is awesome...although exagerated out bush you can really find characters like that in the pub.
Steve Irwin was a bit of a nutjob too. But all his conservation work deserves to be applauded. He did alot of great things for alot of animals.
Also maybe I should mention I'm part New zealand as well so i can claim Russel Crowe.
If I had to choose I would go with
3. The Scared Wierd Little Guys. Comedy act that are just too effing hilarious. Very aussie centric humour though.Music buffs will love any of the Stump the Scardies videos on youtube. Look them up.
2. Kevin Bloody Wilson. Another musical comedian of sorts. I grew up on him and think he captures our sense of humour perfectly. May be offensive but i'll be damned if it aint funny. Everytime he comes to town someone in my family goes and gets a signature for me (was underage all those times)
I'ts hilarious that the comments increased in vulgarity with my age. 6 was nick off , 10 was bugger off. 15 was get a job you lazy shit and buy your own cd.
1. I think the best representation is The Sniper from TF2. We finally shed the convict image and prove we can be hardworking and industrious people.

Seriously though I cant think of any actual australian characters that are international and typical. I mean the only ones you are guarunteed to know are all larger than life. Dame Edna Everage, Angus Young from ACDC etc.
Plus just like in america people act differently in each region. Typical texan stereotype is totally different from New York or Los Angeles.

What subboard holds the most interest?
General. Bits of everything in there. Never know what you will get. I'm not really into comics much and the game board is kinda quiet.

Do I consider myself a Lurker?
Yeah I do. I would be lucky to have more than 20 posts. Most of which came from me asking questions about TF2. Most of the others were the drunker higher wasteder thread. Not really much contribution.

Alcohol.
Beer can be awesome or horrible. Depending on what you choose. Budwieser is disgusting btw. I usually drink Kirin or Asahi (both japanese beers)
or millers chill. Oh and of course the obligitory west coast wife beater.Emu Bitter and Emu Export. (fosters is not real common. Eastern states are either XXXX or Victoria Bitter.)
I also love vodka. And absinthe. And tequila. Anything clear or green basically. Try our favourite shooter. Absinthe,Bacardi 151 and Chartuse. Sold as an ABC.. Known as the vomit king.

Also bubble. I remember seeing a low res photo of you in you av ages ago and then some bigger ones in the secret santa thread. Something looks different. I wanna say thicker/ groomed facial hair. Maybe its just the better photo but you are one sexy bastard yknow that. I'm starting my new years resolution early. To compliment people more often and be nicer to people. Maybe I will actually make friends next year :p

Ok bed time for me. Keep the questions coming peeps. Anything and everything will be answered. Dares shall be considered too.

Budwieser is disgusting btw. I usually drink Kirin
Funny, these are essentially the same beverage.[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought Kirin tasted similar to Millers Chill. Bud tasted similar to watered down beer.

What's the proper way to throw some shrimp on the barbie, mate?

Also, Chaser's War on Everything. Opinions?
I don't really eat much seafood, But if the barbie has a grill plate just chuck it on there with some seasoning. Or if it just has a hot plate wrap it in aluminum foil, Little bit of butter, lemon and pepper. Just don't overcook it.
Chaser's are pretty funny.Some of the skits are hilarious while others are just stupid. I found them very hit and miss. Sad to see them go though.

Midnight Oil. Anybody down there listen to them?
How can they sleep while their beds are burning?[/QUOTE]
It's the southern hemisphere. Fire is cold and refreshing there.[/QUOTE]

The generation before me listened to Midnight Oil as they were new music back then. Now days most people know who they are but apart from Beds Are Burning they probably wouldn't be able to name another song.Although on Australia Day you hear this song on everywhere.We have a very small playlist that day.
Midnight Oil - Beds are Burning , This is Australia
Anything by ACDC
Men At Work - Land Down Under
Goanna - Solid Rock
Maybe some Jet or Hilltop Hoods or Missy Higgins if the station is slightly alternative.

Also if you are into Hip Hop and havent heard Hilltop Hoods....Go do so now. Awesome to the Max yo!

Feels like my bed was burning last night. We are going to be hitting 40 deg very soon (104 F) And also total fireban so no flames allowed. Don't want to set the country ablaze.

Keep them coming yall.

Thanks, Gargoyle :) I'm going to guess it's the "I shaved my head bald" thing ;-)

I love absynthe too, but most people only know pretty regular green stuff...Black absynthe is where it's at :-P There's a bar here in Brussels with 850 types of absynthe, hmmm...

Anyhow, so, what sort of part of Australia are you from? Outback, city, surf beach, mountainous, lava-riddled nightmare landscape under twisting and torturing sun,...?
Studying, or working? Or just goofin around? In any case, what, more specifically?
Do androids dream of electric sheep?
Do New Zealanders dream of sheep?

Thanks, Gargoyle :) I'm going to guess it's the "I shaved my head bald" thing ;-)

I love absynthe too, but most people only know pretty regular green stuff...Black absynthe is where it's at :-P There's a bar here in Brussels with 850 types of absynthe, hmmm...

Anyhow, so, what sort of part of Australia are you from? Outback, city, surf beach, mountainous, lava-riddled nightmare landscape under twisting and torturing sun,...?
Studying, or working? Or just goofin around? In any case, what, more specifically?
Do androids dream of electric sheep?
Do New Zealanders dream of sheep?
Yeah must be the shaved head.
I live in a small city on the west coast of australia. We are outback enough to have wildlife run across the road about 5 minutes from my place yet still have big city things like fast food and shopping centers. Surf around here is awesome. Really a hidden treasure. Too bad I dont really like the outdoors. If you want to know where exactly on a map find the west australian coast line. Smack bang in the center of that and you will be close.

Working to pay the bills, goofing around with the rest of my life. I have no direction really. I was young enough not to care but that time is coming to a close. Still no idea what I want to do though. If by july I havent got some sort of plan or career path I shall be enlisting in the army. I would really love to get my next black belt and get a teaching qualification ( adult and child certification) and either open up my own dojo or help my current sensei expand his. It's kinda at the point where if he doesn't expanded the amount of classes we will have to turn kids away so it is a possibility. Unlikely but hopes are still there.

Are these androids endowed with artificial intelligence or just preprogramed for simple menial tasks? If so then it is possible an android would dream of electric sheep....although the likely hood of an upgraded memory storage unit or a female android for company being the subject of the dream is higher.

I have now chosen an avatar....do you like it NR?

Men at Work= greatest band. Also i can actually say I come from a land down under :p

If i had entered the secret santa I so wouldve sent a can of beer and a jar of vegemite. Seriously everybody should try and get some. It is the most awesomest thing in the world. Vegemite sandwiches cure hangovers if you can keep them down.

And I have no idea what paramite is so I googled it. Aparently it is some type of flea treatment. Maybe you should just spray some eucalyptus oil on yourself. We got plenty of that round these parts.

Oh and since my new years resolution is to work out more and get beefcake if I have time tomorrow I shall post a picture of myself and another next month to see if I have improved. Knowing me I will either imagine improvement or just be really hard on myself.

K

Kitty Sinatra

A paramite is a creature from a PSone game called Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. Molluck the Glukkon baked the paramites into pies. Though when the paramites started becoming extinct, he started turning Abe's Mudokon friends into tasty treats. :(

Yeah i never had a psone. Jumped on board the cross platform train with ps2. Everyone has recomended abes odyssey but adventrue games annoy the hell outta me sometimes. Who would think to combine belly button fluff with grass to make a fuse?

Yeah i never had a psone. Jumped on board the cross platform train with ps2. Everyone has recomended abes odyssey but adventrue games annoy the hell outta me sometimes. Who would think to combine belly button fluff with grass to make a fuse?
Abes Oddysee was more like Prince of persia, or Out of this World than Monkey island or Space Quest.

Don't know why I assumed it was a point and click game then. Never played prince of persia either. I have an amazing knack of not ever seeing, listening or playing games , music and movies that are aparently things everybody knows. Never heard the beatles, only ever seen 1 kubrick film. Never listend to nirvana until i was 16.

I live a very sheltered life.

Z

Zumbo Prime

Yeah, so I may as well make one of these too.

My username is Zumbo Prime. Though it's probably easier just to call me Chicken. Everyone else I know online does. If you want to know why, well, you have to ask.

I'm here because Angels 2200 recently restarted.

I enjoy sci-fi, video games, and being a smartass.

Don't ask about the avatars I'll be using. Seriously, don't.

If there's anything else you want to ask, go for it. I won't guarantee I won't try to make you cry.

North_Ranger

Staff member

Chicken?

CHICKEN!

CHICKEN!

Welcome aboard, Zumbo ;)

1.) Is there anything we can't ask of you?

2.) How do you like it in here?

I

InBrainWeTrust

After some disappointment several months ago that I couldn't find my favorite forum to lurk on, I decided to give the Googles a more thorough search to see if you guys congregated anywhere else. And here I am! Great job on the new layout! I'll try to be active on here a bit more now that I've found your new location (I think I made all of two posts under the last forum design). I'll never take Halforums for granted ever again!! :cry:

Oh yeah, intro! Well, I'm a geek in my mid-20s, about to finish a terminal degree in the terrible state of Maryland. Looking for a chance to express my geeky side, practice my writing more, and meet some new friends. That's about it for now, but here's hoping to get to know some of you better in the coming weeks!

I

InBrainWeTrust

Hi! Welcome (again) and thanks! (yay! someone who likes the design!)

What kinda stuff do you write?
What Ame said. What kind of writing?

And welcome back!
Thanks! There are a couple of things I would change about the layout, but other than that it looks great. I spent most of the last year focusing on my degree, which involves a lot of detailed writing, but I'm hoping to get back into more journalistic pursuits.

Shegokigo said:
Delicious, delicious strawberry sauce....
I take it you're the one I should be watching out for? Although Dave (and his avatar) look displeased; perhaps he's the greater threat.