Is income inequality unjust, and if so, where is the injustice?

I would love to see this get more traction.
Because the preview cuts off the entire sentence:
I pulled historical data from 1973-2019, calculated what four identical scenarios would cost in each year, and then adjusted everything to be reflected in 2021 dollars: You and your partner are 22 and live in the USA. You both work 40hrs/wk @ federal minimum wage and pay federal income & Social Security taxes based on your earnings. You file jointly and take the standard deduction.
Then there are 4 pics showing how adding the following expenses affect(ed) Boomers, GenX, and Millenials differently:
  1. You pay the average US rent.
  2. ...rent + the average per-capita US healthcare expenses.
  3. ...rent + healthcare + federal student loans (incl int&fees) after a 4yr degree.
  4. ...rent + healthcare + federal loans + 30yr mortgage on avg home price.
It ain't pretty. Unless you're a boomer, of course.
(looks like Boomer = b.1955-1968, GenX = b.1969-1984, Millenial = b.1985-2001, assuming the year listed is the year each entered the workforce at age 18)
(EDIT: Probably subtract another 4 yrs from each of the above because I forgot to include the "got a 4yr degree" part)

--Patrick

Last edited:
Every time I saw the generations listed, it was Boomers: 1945-1964, Gen X:1965-1980, Millenial (nee Gen Y) was 1981-1999/2000. Gen X usually got the short shrift because it was the smallest. Or at least, that how it was divided when I heard the term "Generation X" coined around 1993 or so.

Every time I saw the generations listed, it was...
Ooo, that makes sense. So, uh, I guess subtract an additional 3-4yrs from each of my "born on" assumptions since I was apparently too dense to include the "...and got a 4yr degree" part which means everyone is starting at ~21yrs of age and not the ~18 that I first assumed.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
"Sorry you're trapped inside the restaurant. I'll be by in the morning to get the door open for customers."

r/LegalAdvice [PA] Employee (me) stuck in building

TL;DR Employee at fast food restaurant inside a Wal-Mart got locked in when the door malfunctioned. Boss refused to come do anything about it, said to wait until morning, and specifically told the employee to not call the fire department.

Employee called the fire department anyway, who told the boss he'd better get down there or they're cutting the door open. Boss shows up, says there are no locksmiths available (which is probably a lie), and the door gets cut open anyway. Employee is afraid of being fired.

"Sorry you're trapped inside the restaurant. I'll be by in the morning to get the door open for customers."

r/LegalAdvice [PA] Employee (me) stuck in building

TL;DR Employee at fast food restaurant inside a Wal-Mart got locked in when the door malfunctioned. Boss refused to come do anything about it, said to wait until morning, and specifically told the employee to not call the fire department.

Employee called the fire department anyway, who told the boss he'd better get down there or they're cutting the door open. Boss shows up, says there are no locksmiths available (which is probably a lie), and the door gets cut open anyway. Employee is afraid of being fired.
I predict a major payday in this employee's future if the boss decides to retaliate. That said, Wal-Mart does this all the time and usually just settles out of court.

figmentPez

Staff member
I predict a major payday in this employee's future if the boss decides to retaliate. That said, Wal-Mart does this all the time and usually just settles out of court.
Don't forget about all the times Wal-Mart pulls this shit and the employee just takes the abuse because they're too naive or desperate to push back.

The thing you’re overlooking is that in the eyes of wal-mart executives, the low-level manager who wasn’t willing to drive over to let the employee out is equally as worthless as the employee who was trapped. They’d be way more inclined to get rid of the manager who put the company in way more financial danger.

The thing you’re overlooking is that in the eyes of wal-mart executives, the low-level manager who wasn’t willing to drive over to let the employee out is equally as worthless as the employee who was trapped. They’d be way more inclined to get rid of the manager who put the company in way more financial danger.
I see you watched Superstore too.

Cracks are appearing.

--Patrick
On the one hand, man, we need studies to prove this? Anyone with access to Main Street and Wall Street could've told you that.
On the other hand, good, more studies might make people in charge care enough to do something. Which they won't, but, you know.

I feel like I've been seeing similar headlines about similar studies for a couple of years now.
It's weird right? After decades of giving untold billions to people who already have more than they can spend that people are beginning to suspect hard work isn't rewarded by our society.

Why would they? They are in charge and have power and wealth, obviously the system is working for them
The clue to STAYING in charge is to keep the bottom 95% content enough not to revolt. Whether it's with war (we must stand united), fear (we can't rise up or we'll get sent to the Gulag), distractions (is Twitter racist for using a white background? Read more!), internal division (don't fight the rich! You could become one! It's....*random draw* blue people's fault you're struggling!),....
The lower classes getting too malcontent can endanger the top, so they'll do something to make sure we stay down. Can be good or bad, but hey, some movement other than the continuous downward slope we're on right now is fine.

This has your name written all over it.
Sure, you've probably seen the meme before, but the comments are fresh, especially now that there's a new viral video of someone pulling a gun on a cart narc.

--Patrick
I will again point out, it's not really that big a deal. Return the cart or don't, you're really not changing much, other than maybe making yourself feel better. Is it blistering hot, you've parked far away, and you don't feel like walking the shopping cart back to the corral? You're not hurting anything by leaving it there, most likely someone will be by within ten minutes to collect it for you.

You're hurting the poor minimum wage worker who has to trudge to the end of the hot parking lot to retrieve it. I say this as a former poor minimum wage worker who had to trudge to the end of hot parking lots to retrieve shopping carts. It sucked.

You're hurting the poor minimum wage worker who has to trudge to the end of the hot parking lot to retrieve it. I say this as a former poor minimum wage worker who had to trudge to the end of hot parking lots to retrieve shopping carts. It sucked.
I also trudge across the parking lot to retrieve carts when those who would otherwise do it are busy with something else. And our cart retrievers are paid above minimum wage.

Again, I will reiterate, I'm speaking only of my experience with my own grocery store. You go to a Walmart or something and who knows, it could be wild wild west out there, complete with giant spiders

I also trudge across the parking lot to retrieve carts when those who would otherwise do it are busy with something else. And our cart retrievers are paid above minimum wage.

Again, I will reiterate, I'm speaking only of my experience with my own grocery store. You go to a Walmart or something and who knows, it could be wild wild west out there, complete with giant spiders
Apologies, I did not mean YOU specifically were hurting the employees. The "you" I meant is the person not returning the cart. You, @Ravenpoe, seem to be a good manager, unlike the ones I dealt with. There was a reason I only worked for that grocery store for a few months one summer. I'm sorry my meaning was unclear and for any offense caused.

Besides that, I'd also argue that you were hurt by the carts not being returned. You had to do the trudge out to retrieve them in order to keep what happened to @drifter from happening to someone at your store. Sure you and I were compensated for doing that, but I am sure there was something else more important you could have been seeing to or doing instead. And I would classify having a nice chat with someone as "more important."

This couldn't be more of a farce if it tried. He's literally surrounded by gold atop a throne that would give Donald Trump's gold fetish pause.

On one hand, the proposed ordinance is clearly aimed at chop shops. This shouldn't (ha) affect the unhoused with a single bike.

That said, it's been pointed out that it's outlawing something that's effectively already illegal. Not much upside, more potential downsides.

I'd like to read the actual ordinance, can't seem to find it though.