Is the Rep system

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cuyval Dar

Not sure yet.

I still wish we would use the same system as the CAD forums do. It is a lot simpler an more clear.

Huh. Interesting. I do like the idea of encouraging people to post, etc, but could it turn more people off?

C

Cuyval Dar

It's okay, Calleja, you are still my favorite hispanic poster.

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

i'm going to have fun watching mine plummet. JEWS DID WTC!!!
Would I go to hell if I gave you pos rep for that post?

A

Andromache

honestly, I think people can tell what they think of my reputation, if I am on their friends list, or ignore list. everything else just seems like public back patting

GasBandit

Staff member
Did it get turned off? I don't see these bars people are talking about. Maybe it's just the dnGray skin or something.

Anyway, the thing about these sort of things is they become not an actual quality indicator, but just an indicator of how beloved somebody is by the coffee clatch clique. All the bad things people say about post counts often apply tenfold to reputation voting.

never really cared one way or the other about post counts, but actively dislike the idea of a rep system. Encourages to much politics to come to the boards.

I agree about the rep system I never like how they turnout. I was on another board that used them and I hated it to death.

I turned them off. Now if only I could blow away post counts...
The GITP forums have a system where post counts are hidden in threads, but still show up in profiles. It has the effect of lessening the perceived importance of post counts, while still having that information available for those who are curious. They use vBulletin as well, so it should be possible for you to do that here too. This could be a good compromise between those who like to keep track of post counts and those who really don't care.

Dave

Staff member
The GITP forums have a system where post counts are hidden in threads, but still show up in profiles. It has the effect of lessening the perceived importance of post counts, while still having that information available for those who are curious. They use vBulletin as well, so it should be possible for you to do that here too. This could be a good compromise between those who like to keep track of post counts and those who really don't care.
To do that requires us to edit the styles (default, dnGray, etc.). GITP uses only 1 style so it's no issue for them. I could do that too, but I think people like the choice of multiple skins on the boards and changing them all would suck.

I turned them off. Now if only I could blow away post counts...
Right on, Dave. This rep system was the one I've discussed before, that I've used on a board with thousands of users. I tend to agree that it's somewhat overkill here.

However, I don't have a problem with post counts. It doesn't have anything to do with quality of posts (obviously, just check out mine), but I find it useful when people outside the Rogue's Gallery post, as a bit of added information about their board use (lurker, first-time poster, etc.).

I think the people to whom it matters will continue to inflate theirs, and the people to whom it doesn't will just ignore the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.