Jeremy Clarkson fired from Top Gear.

Dave

Staff member
BBC is reporting they are letting him go tomorrow. Personally, I think it's bullshit, but there you have it.

Rumor is he and the other two might be going and starting a Netflix show. I think that would be wicked awesome.

So he punched someone on the bottom of the totem pole for not bringing him a steak after the kitchen already closed? Why are people defending him again?

Dave

Staff member
So he punched someone on the bottom of the totem pole for not bringing him a steak after the kitchen already closed? Why are people defending him again?
I think there's a bit more to it than that, but if you want oversimplification then okay, I guess. There were issues with the entire day's production and the two men had been arguing all day. So no, it's not just about a steak.

It's a known fact that Jeremy Clarkson is a bit of an ass and a trouble maker.

But I still love him on the show. It's not top gear without him. I look forward to the netflix show.

So, because the two men were arguing, that means it's okay to verbally harangue a man for twenty minutes over food service he can't control, and then punch him in the face for it? After years of being a pain in the ass to the extent the BBC gave him a final warning not to make offensive remarks? And then getting recorded cussing out his bosses after getting suspended?

What does he have to do to warrant getting fired then, shit on a picture of the Queen on live television?

I'm conflicted about this. I don't want to see Clarkson go and the other two have made it clear that they will not return without him. At the same time, I completely understand why the BBC is doing all of this.

For what it's worth, I will point out that the person who got hit did not report this. Clarkson reported himself. He did also mostly joke about it and was pretty glib while he was suspended.

It probably spells the end of Top Gear as well.

This is likely in my top 5 favorite shows. I'll miss it. But you can't be that much of an ass over the last 3 or so years and keep any job.

I don't get all the people on Facebook (and the like) saying BBC made a mistake because this'll cost them millions in viewers and billions in money. Yes, it will - the people over at the BBC aren't morons. They decided to stick to a principle - that you can't g get away with something simply because you're a celebrity. Treating everyone equal means not crucifying a celebrity for something someone else could do without a problem, but it also means not letting a celebrity getting away with something someone else wouldn't get away with either. I'm honestly a bit sad that Top Gear as we knew it is over - and anyone who's seen BBC US or BBC Australia can attest that it isn't a formula you can easily cop and paste - but he was out of line. Could they have suspended him temporarily or docked his pay or something? Perhaps, but he's made too many faux pas for that to be much of an option. He's made fun of "slaps on the wrist" in the past many a time. I, for one, assume the BBC reviewed the case and decided they couldn't keep him on, despite losing out on millions, and did so anyway. That's not a mistake. That's being principled and correct.

Can't wait for the inevitable Flash game that looks like Final Fight except you get to choose from one of the (soon-to-be former) three Top Gear hosts. Jeremy can be Haggar, James will be Cody, and Richard will be Guy. You scroll along punching producers and cooks in the face, and in the bonus round, you destroy a car. Or two.

--Patrick

I suspect that BBC was a little worried that if they did not do something, they might get sued by the guy who got punched for big Jeremy Clarkson money. Throw in the back history there, and it makes sense why they let him go.

I don't get all the people on Facebook (and the like) saying BBC made a mistake because this'll cost them millions in viewers and billions in money. Yes, it will - the people over at the BBC aren't morons. They decided to stick to a principle - that you can't g get away with something simply because you're a celebrity. Treating everyone equal means not crucifying a celebrity for something someone else could do without a problem, but it also means not letting a celebrity getting away with something someone else wouldn't get away with either. I'm honestly a bit sad that Top Gear as we knew it is over - and anyone who's seen BBC US or BBC Australia can attest that it isn't a formula you can easily cop and paste - but he was out of line. Could they have suspended him temporarily or docked his pay or something? Perhaps, but he's made too many faux pas for that to be much of an option. He's made fun of "slaps on the wrist" in the past many a time. I, for one, assume the BBC reviewed the case and decided they couldn't keep him on, despite losing out on millions, and did so anyway. That's not a mistake. That's being principled and correct.
Exactly. Sad as I am that Clarkson was sacked by the BBC, I'm not sad that the BBC sacked him, I'm sad that he punched a producer in the face and yelled at him for an excessive amount of time, after all of the other shit he's pulled, which led to the BBC having to sack him.

Zappit

Staff member
Lessee...Angry British mean man who yells and abuses people? Does Fox want a car Gordon Ramsey? They're probably salivating over this guy.

Lessee...Angry British mean man who yells and abuses people? Does Fox want a car Gordon Ramsey? They're probably salivating over this guy.
It's funny because if you watch his UK shows he's not nearly as volatile and angry, it's just gimmicky bullshit because Americans eat it up like candy.

It's funny because if you watch his UK shows he's not nearly as volatile and angry, it's just gimmicky bullshit because Americans eat it up like candy.
He does yell in the UK shows, just not nearly as much. And they also don't do all that bullshit editing to try to make things seem more tense or dramatic.

He does yell in the UK shows, just not nearly as much. And they also don't do all that bullshit editing to try to make things seem more tense or dramatic.
Which is basically what I meant when I said "not nearly."

e: That might have come off snarkier than intended. What I mean is yeah, that's what I was trying to say for the most part. Also, it's amazing how much more enjoyable a show is without all that ridiculous jump-cutting and music sting nonsense.

Last edited:
Which is basically what I meant when I said "not nearly."

e: That might have come off snarkier than intended. What I mean is yeah, that's what I was trying to say for the most part. Also, it's amazing how much more enjoyable a show is without all that ridiculous jump-cutting and music sting nonsense.
I wasn't intending that post to be directed solely at you. I know you've seen the uk shows. I was making an addition for those who hadn't, and quoting your post for context. A limitation of group text-based communication.

I think forum etiquette requires I add a 'fuck you' in here somewhere, but that might only be for Jersey.

I wasn't intending that post to be directed solely at you. I know you've seen the uk shows. I was making an addition for those who hadn't, and quoting your post for context. A limitation of group text-based communication.

I think forum etiquette requires I add a 'fuck you' in here somewhere, but that might only be for Jersey.

Oh you.