Julie's D and D Game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome everyone! Please post information on your characters, questions, and comments about my game here!

Now, to answer the first few questions:

1. You will be starting at level one.
2. Your main weapons (the weapons you need for your attacks) and armor are free, but you may not have magically imbued armor and weapons. Yet. XD A magic implement, such as a rod, counts as a weapon and will also be free.
3. You get a free adventurer's kit.
4. You will start with your basic 100 gp.
5. You may buy a mount (riding horse or camel) if you wish, but it will cost you 75 gp.

Now, you will be starting the campaign in a magically technological city called Amaranth (pronounced Am-are-ahnth), akin to the size of New York City, located in a temperate region of the globe with a major port on the west side that goes out to sea. The eastern side of the city faces out into several crossroads that run through smaller local towns connected to Amaranth between hills and (further out) mountains. It's still not by any means a modern setting. This city is a huge, important cultural and trading hub where anything can be obtained, for a price. The economy is the main driving force here and religion is generally on the back burner, although churches and temples to most of the major gods can be found scattered about. When you arrive in the city, there shall be no war going on and the city will be thriving, but thriving alongside it shall be corruption and depravity of every kind imaginable. The people who are citizens of the city are generally cynical and hardened, living off of whatever they can sell, be it wares, services, or sometimes, themselves. Most of the population seems to be in the middle class, but for those unfortunate people who were not born into the middle or high class, they will generally be found divided into two groups: those will hope and those without. Very rarely are low class citizens ever seen climbing the socio-economic ladder, despite some of their best efforts. And oddly enough, those in the high class seem to be engrossed in the idea that people of the low class belong in the dredges of society and will sometimes go out of their way to keep the government from creating any kind of assistance or relief for them.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post them here. Go ahead and get creative with your reasons for being here whilst I put everything together, too. My story will be centered on -you-, so put some good thought into what you want and how you want to interact with everyone. :3

Oh, please send character sheets to jnremijan at gmail dot com!

Gusto, is it okay if we know each other? Not like we've ever really spoken except a "greetings" in passing, but I figured my guy would live around mountains near your monastery and come down and around from time to time. By coincidence, or maybe not, we're both in the city at the same time? (And Doom would be there too then, if he's okay with me being the one who revived him.) I think even passing character connections would be cool to start.

Well if you and Doom are travelling companions, and I stick out like a human in Dragonborn lands, then it kinda stands to reason that we'd be at least vaguely aware of each other. Doom kinda stick out too. No stealth checks for him.

Okay, so I'm set on a Goliath Shaman, and I will post backstory and personality stuff tomorrow after work. Character sheet is done and such though.

The man now known as Simkin was born of a noble house in the region of Calimshan. The youngest of six children, Simkin was a charismatic precocious child that was quick with his wit as well as quick with his feet ...and a total terror to his tutors and guardians. He often slipped away from his "boring" lessons to play with questionable friends in the lower districts of Calimshan. One such friend was a blind crone, Zincarla, who cunningly peddled fortunes to the gullible. Doing this thought Simkin much in the ways of the underhanded. In exchange for food and company, the old woman told Simkin many tales of faraway places and heroes/villains of myth and legend along with the tips of her trade. These stories gave new meaning to Simkin's life as he had little hope of a future and to partake in the political business his family engaged in, every moment, for all their lives. As the youngest of his family, he had little hope to truly be important to his family. One day, the crone told one of her stories which ran longer than usual. It was a tale of a mysterious magic ruby pendant that allowed the bearer to convince anyone to see their way of thinking, from your most hated of enemies or complete strangers. His eyes sparkled when he heard that this item resided so closely... unfortunately his current owner, Pasha Pook, the master of the city's thieves' and assassins' guilds was its current master. Pasha Pook was not a man to be crossed easily… yet Simkin was determined to get his hands on that item to further his ambitions.

Simkin spent over a year planning his heist and had to be extremely discreet in his manner of procuring information on Pasha Pook as every agent in the city was to his bid and call. He was meticulous in his efforts and finally he formed his planned. Pook rarely left his stranglehold and even when he did, he did so with the company of a score of cutthroats. Every so often, he’d visit some powerful nobles on the other side of the city, for “meetings” which usually consisted of making money over the expense of others, eat a lot of food, drink the finest wine and womanly companionship. Tired, Pook would normally sleep the night off in his secured chambers at the House of Mosiah. Simkin informed his family he’d be out of town for a few weeks to visit some friends to the north. Once he left his home, he changed into a peasant’s outfit, used a disguise and went to the House of Mosiah to grovel for a meager job in their kitchen. His persistence paid off and he was sent as a helper in the kitchen where he was overworked and mistreated for a meager pay of a few copper coins and some stale bread. Despite being tired to the bone, every night, Simkin would sneak out to further his plans. Days turned into weeks until one day a house steward came into the kitchen and informed them to work even harder as the house’s master had an important guest coming over. Knowing that this was do or die, late that night, he snuck off and started his heist.

Pook was soundly asleep in his secured chambers in a drunken stupor as a silent shadow cast on him in the dying candle light. The shadow proceeded to carefully remove the pendent from his neck without sound and with extreme care. The shadow then slid the gem into a small pocket and proceeded to quietly and carefully climb back up. Safely in the room above Pook’s, Simkin covered the fake planks on the ground, got rid of his thieving tools in the back of a fireplace and promptly left the house.

He returned home with the ruby, unsure how it would work. It was so beautiful. He shrugged and went to one of his siblings and started a headed conversation with him. Simkin put his hand under his cloak and allowed a quick glimpse of the gem as he told his sibling his point of view on the matter. His sibling’s eyes grew wide and waited a long moment. Then suddenly, his sibling agreed on his issue with a zealot like fervor. Simkin was astounded. Over the course of the next few days, he managed to convince everyone in his way of thinking. His father even agreed to take him to council meetings and introducing him to all the other nobles…an odd thing to do for a man who was previously inseparable from his first two sons and made no mention of his third.

Meanwhile, the city of Calimshan was being torn asunder by the thieves’ network, trying to find their master’s gem. Pook was extremely distraught by his loss and wanted the thief’s head on a stick. It didn’t take long for Simkin’s ambitions to find its slippery way towards the grasp of the thieves’ guild.

As Simkin walked in his room that night, content in his fortune, he noticed a very subtle movement in the dark. He continued walking stoically, yet his mind panicked as no one should be in his room. He yawned and reached under his cloak and quickly threw one of his daggers at the candles lighting his room. He successfully hit top of the candle and it promptly darkened the room completely. He quickly rolled behind his dresser and listened intently. Whoever was in the room with him didn’t emit a sound, yet he felt the presence of someone who shouldn’t be in the room and was clearly at a disadvantage in the complete dark. Simkin pulled another dagger that was hidden inside his boot and gauged where his mirror was located. He would only have a shot at this. He threw the dagger then quickly started to get up. The sound of glass was the distraction he needed and he leapt out at his attacker with his remaining daggers in both his hands. Suddenly his right dagger connected to something soft and he heard a watery gurgle followed with a loud thump on the ground. Simkin stood still wondering if he was still alone. After a few minutes, feeling safe, he decided to light up his room.

Once the light came back to the room… in the middle of his room lay a man wearing a dirty cloak in a pool of his own blood. Simkin had stabbed him in the back of the neck and his death was instant. On the floor were two daggers that didn’t belong to Simkin and then checking his body revealed to him that this man was a member’s of the thieves’ guild and obviously ambitious enough to attack Simkin first without even the approval of the powerful Pasha Pook. Or perhaps was he trying to steal the ruby for himself?

Simkin stared at his ruby pendant, fully realizing his danger and hated himself for the lack of foresight. He thought to himself and quickly packed his things that he had no future here. Pook knew who he was, or was about to anyways. To stay here would mean his death as Pook would seek revenge. He looked up to the sky with closed eyes and though of some advice he heard from a tutor as a child.

“Tigers die and leave their skins. People die and leave their names...” he smirked thinking, “I shall no longer answer to this name by doing so… perhaps I may have a chance to live.”

He removed the last dagger from the wall and without a last look, he left his room.

Never to return.
I'm still working on the rest of the story... but this is part 1.

Still fine tuning my character sheet so that I'm 100% happy with it. Just let me know if you have a deadline.

doomdragon6

Staff member
You're telling me that my golem character is going to be tied to a magic-wielder that's bigger than me? @_@

Anyone else a magic-wielder? You know, someone who could actually USE a guardian? XD

Julie, let me know if it's cool that I sorta completely override how Dragonborn clans work in your world. :)

doomdragon6

Staff member
Well if there aren't any other mages in the party, any other tiny person would be fine if they were interested.

It's just that a huge golem forged for protection following a Goliath bigger than it is seems silly to me. =P

doomdragon6

Staff member
We've got:

Me: Warforged Warden [Defender]
Daryl: Goliath Shaman (which is bigger than me) [Leader]
Gusto: Human Monk [Striker]
Jay: Halfling Rogue [Striker]
Deschain: Hasn't posted officially, but said he'd probably be a Swordmage [Defender]

We're a little low on the ranged death department. But I think we've got a good set of roles.

--------------------------------------------

Repost:

Name: Ezekiel (Zeke if you decide to get friendly)
Race: Warforged / "Golem"
Class: Warden
Background: Don't remember, gives a 4 to Fire Resitance
Height: 6'6"
Weight: 290 lbs

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/683/ezekiel.jpg

Appearance: Ezekiel is a golem formed from tan-brown earth and stone, similar to above. His head has two glowing yellow eyes, which can change color depending on mood, most notably red when angered or engaged in combat. When on earthen ground, if he stands for longer than a few seconds his feet will meld into the terrain, making it seems as though he had just sprung up from the earth right then and there. He can easily step out of this, however. If Ezekiel is damaged in combat, he may draw strength from the terrain around him (healing surge) and incorporate the new terrain into his body to repair himself. (For example, he would resemble a more dirt-like golem out and about, and possibly a more solid grey stone slab-like appearance in a cave.) This change is usually temporary, however, as the new additions will crumble and fall off as the magic that created him replaces his body proper during an extended rest.

History:

Ezekiel is stone golem that was forged for the sole purpose of serving as a powerful magic-wielder's body guard throughout his travels or as a private sentry for his labs and studies. [Blank - Party or Character] discovered/will discover a deactivated Ezekiel in [Blank - up to you]. Upon restoring power to the mana-drained construction, Ezekiel woke up with no recollection of his previous duties or the identity of his master, who appears to have vanished long since. He has no idea how long it has been, but he acknowledges that the world around him "seems different." With no current purpose, he has vowed himself as the guardian of the character who infused his magic power into him (assuming we have one.) Ezekiel is barely capable of maintaining a social interraction or being creative, but is usually logical in his thought processes, though his priority is above all else to protect his master, even at the risk of his own physical safety, as that is his sole purpose in "life."

Over time he may come to form more loyalties to those around him and grow in worldly experience, but at the moment, the party seems to have gained a brick wall that can punch people.

I left a lot of stuff vague so that Julie could build ther story as she pleases. Ezekiel could have served a good mage, evil mage, the mage could be alive, dead, related to the "big plot", etc. Whatever she wants to go with. I want to be in the dark exactly as much as my charater is. :D

Also, up to Julie and the rest of you, whoever Ezekiel is going to be tied to can find him pre-game and I'll just be with you at the start, or the party can stumble upon him on their travels. Knowing Julie, the first session would be a bunch of town-romping, so it's unlikely a golem would be found anywhere, so the first option is more likely.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Oh shii--!

How do you guys play? Over IRC or something?
We use a program called Gametable that serves as a, well... game table. It lets you set down pogs (images to represent characters, npcs, etc) and allows you to draw the environment. It also allows you to text chat, roll dice, and save macros for your abilities. For actual communication, we use Halforum's Ventrilo server for voice chat.

Well Shamen do not necessarily provide the healing that say a Cleric might. If esc wants to play a healing-focused Shaman then Shawn should opt for ranged Striker/Controller. If esc is planning on playing a ranged Striker Shaman, then it might be better if Shawn plays something with heals.

D

Deschain

Our legends say that a nameless knight from the North came to the Kingdom of Jericho and saw that all was not well. The Mad King sat upon his crimson throne and held all the citizenry at his mercy. None could oppose him; for he wielded an evil power that neither heroes nor prayers could overcome. It is told that this knight convinced 7 of the Great Lords to join him in rebellion and to bolster their courage, he blessed them each with a blade, the likes of which the world had never seen before. With their armies at their backs, the Lords finally overthrew the tyrant and established a ruling council, headed by Seven Houses of their own linage. At least, so the story goes. There are many today who would doubt our right to rule, but I know they are wrong, for I wield the same sword given to my ancestor 30 generations ago. It is indeed a weapon like no other, forged without flaw and quenched in our own blood. Durandal, as it was called, is inherited in our House from eldest son to eldest son, and only when the former is on his deathbed. There has been no exception to this rule and there never shall be. My own Father passed it onto me as he lay dying from a wound dealt by Eastern assassins. They attacked our House for the sword…and they did not act alone. I left Jericho afterwards to travel for a twofold reason. By taking Durandal with me, there will no reason for anyone to assault the castle again. And I shall find the men who hired these assassins. Despite all these years, the memory of that day is still clear…and I have not forgotten the face of my father. I will find these murderers and they will shall see just how cruel I can be.
Name: Reynard, 31st of his Name
Class: Swordmage
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 160 lbs
Motto: "Neither dead nor living, none shall take what is mine by right!"

Appearance: As above, with a brace of daggers across the front and a sword at his right side.

History: He was born the Eldest son of his House, in a family of 6. He possessed some arcane abilities, but had neither the talent nor the inclination to become a magic-user. It was just as well since it would eventually become his duty to take care of his family's sword. Many of his ancestors had been swordmages (using that very same sword) since the bond they formed would be a powerful one. He too followed their path, being instructed in the ways of fighting through a man hired by his father and in magic through the local paladin. After his father was killed he took to the road and has been there for over a decade, surviving on skill and wit alone.

Personality: As a boy, he was always very quiet. It was not that he was sickly, shy, or dumb. It was if he chose his words carefully and spoke only when the situation required. He was by no means docile either, for he trained hard in the arts of war and was not afraid to be challenged. It was rumored among the servants that the young master had no emotion for his expression never changed, despite whether he should have been feeling angry, sad, frustrated, or happy. Nevertheless, he was neither unkind nor stone-hearted. Before he left his House with the sword, the head steward gave him a mask and told him, "Never forget who you are, for surely the world won’t. Make it your strength so it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." Whether he took that advice to heart remains to be seen, but the mask still remains on to this day.

Durandal is a sword that is forged from 'heavy steel' using techniques that were old when the world was new. It was quenched in water mixed with blood of the House's first Lord and blessed by the nameless knight. The weapon is twice as heavy as another of the same size and so the eventual heirs undergo special training to wield it. It is traditionally passed down to the eldest unmarried male who must swear an oath to never surrender it, no matter what cost, and to take no wife and father no sons. Legend holds that it becomes the weapon that its wielder needs the most.

Weapon: Durandal, Daggers, Greatspear/Tratynrs
Armor: Leather armor engraved with the symbol of a tower and rose. Golden Mask

Notable family members:
Sir Artanis the Lost Lord
Sir Gaspar the Free Knight
Sir Lazarus the Dragonblooded

Theme Song:

Attachments

Julie, let me know if it's cool that I sorta completely override how Dragonborn clans work in your world. :)
Send me an email or a PM with info on what you plan on doing. :3 Oh, Jay, Deschain, and Doom: Fabulous stuff! I'm already working your backstories in as we speak! (Especially Jay and Deschain...those stories were really engrossing. @_@) And my "deadline", Jay, is going to be Tuesday, please. Keep it comin' folks! ;)

Doom: I'm a healing Shaman. He's taller than your golem, but he's pretty damn squishy (low strength, low attack, low AC). That makes him need you more, because people think he's a fighter, want to pick fights, and then are just wailing on a guy with a wand.

But if you would rather tie to someone else, that's fine. I wanted to have a character that wouldn't treat your golem like a bitch though, because that was my other choice :p. "Slave, shine my shoes!"

I'll have to draw a picture of mine at some point, because I find nothing suitable. For now assume the generic male Goliath picture from the character creator.

Name: Arku
Race: Goliath
Class: Shaman
Height: 7'1"
Weight: 260 lbs

Arku is a peaceful, inquisitive goliath who enjoys learning and avoiding trouble. He has lived in a secluded area of the mountains, communing with nature in strange forms (including Ezekiel, should Doomdragon not bail on me :p). He often trades healing herbs for provisions with towns, travelers, and even the near Dragonborn monastery. He keeps his life simple and doesn't get into the business of others, not wanting his own business pried, nor his mind. He has learned not to be disturbed by memories, although now he feels plagued by dreams.

His life wasn't always this simple and alone. Arku used to live among many goliaths in the distant Sheshkill Mountains, where he learned shamanism from the wisest of his clan, following the hunting of warriors, keeping the village safe. Even then, he was curious, running off from the groups at times to investigate a new patch of forest, or a fresh snow, the tracks of an animal, even into the forbidden canyon. His curiosity brought the death of his tribe when he accidentally awoke the dragon...

After remorse, and abandoning the idea of vengeance against the creature, Arku at first wanted to redeem himself. He could never bring back his friends and family, but he could meet new people, be a good influence on the lives of others, and he hoped one day he could forgive himself... A small human city burned down and Arku felt discouraged. He still hoped to redeem his mistake against his own people, and perhaps make up for his new mistake. As time went on, Arku let more wrong-doings he saw slip by, afraid he would only make things worse. Eventually, he let the world slide off him, retreating to another set of mountains where few people lived. It's easier not to get involved, and he found it was simple to be friendly without causing trouble when he spoke little. Even the memories bothered him less.

For the last year or so, however, dreams have come where he walks a road through an alien forest of strange colors and forms. He ignored them, but they became longer, week by week, and soon he couldn't awake until he reached the end of the path in the forest, to a clearing, and he hasn't yet seen what's waiting at the end. In the past few months, these dreams have begun to attack him even while awake. At first he began passing out, his consciousness shot into the dream path until he found the clearing at the end. Now, it happens maybe once a week, and he'll go on eating or walking or gathering herbs and tree samples, as if his body knows what he needs, but his attention is directed elsewhere. He thinks it might be visions of the Feywild, or some other place he's never been to, but he has no idea. He's avoided doing anything about it, hoping no one notices anything strange, but it's beginning to bother him, and he's considering seeking answers.

SHORT VERSION: Peaceful, curiousl guy, stays out of the way, raised to be a tribal shaman, accidentally caused the destruction of his clan, tried to make up for it, accidentally destroyed a city, thinks he has life figured by not getting in the way, now plagued by dreams of a strange forest road.

This is pretty close to the last draft for Simkin. I'll take the weekend to figure out if I'm happy with my powers. Balance them skills!

The Simkin, level 1
Halfling, Rogue
Build: Trickster Rogue
Rogue Tactics: Artful Dodger
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 20, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 18, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 14.

AC: 17 Fort: 10 Reflex: 17 Will: 13
HP: 32 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +10, Thievery +12, Acrobatics +12, Perception +5, Bluff +8, Intimidate +8

FEATS
Level 1: Backstabber

POWERS
Rogue at-will 1: Deft Strike
Rogue at-will 1: Piercing Strike
Rogue encounter 1: Positioning Strike
Rogue daily 1: Blinding Barrage

ITEMS
Parrying dagger, Dagger (4), Adventurer's Kit, Thieves' Tools, Fine Clothing, Leather Armor, Hand Crossbow, Crossbow Bolts (20), Travel Papers, Ritual Book, Precise Forgery, Disguise Kit, Footpads

Numbers are neat.... but my fort... ouch. As far as my items :

Parrying dagger, Dagger (4), Leather Armor, Hand Crossbow, Crossbow Bolts (20) = Weapons and Armor. Dagger-master in the works!
Adventurer's Kit = Free!
Ritual Book, Precise Forgery = Approved for RP reasons.
Thieves' Tools (20gp) , Fine Clothing (30gp)(RP) , Travel Papers (2sp)(RP) , Disguise Kit (30gp)(RP), Footpads (5gp) = If needed I'll purchase them.

Status
Not open for further replies.