Kirk Cameron on Darwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beware: if you are a critical thinker, you may not want to watch this directly after eating. And yes, Cameron does Godwin himself less than two minutes into it.

Now, as Michael Shermer asks, should a campaign be mounted to counter this dribbling shit? I say yes, because Cameron has the advantage of name recognition and celebrity-worshipping America doesn't, generally, know any better not to listen to a celebrity just because he was on a TV show once.

Ugh. My cousin's husband is deep into that Way of the Master shit. Actually, I think she may be into it as well, now, at least to a certain extent. Makes for amusing dinner conversation, as we all have had experiences with her husband and his attempts to witness.

A

Armadillo

Beware: if you are a critical thinker, you may not want to watch this directly after eating. And yes, Cameron does Godwin himself less than two minutes into it.

Now, as Michael Shermer asks, should a campaign be mounted to counter this dribbling shit? I say yes, because Cameron has the advantage of name recognition and celebrity-worshipping America doesn't, generally, know any better not to listen to a celebrity just because he was on a TV show once.
If there's one thing I've learned about the creation/evolution debate, it's that NOBODY will ever have their mind changed about it. Either you believe that science is a way to attempt to answer questions about the world, or you think it's all bunk designed to brainwash kids into Communism and heavy petting.

I

Iaculus

If there's one thing I've learned about the creation/evolution debate, it's that NOBODY will ever have their mind changed about it. Either you believe that science is a way to attempt to answer questions about the world, or you think it's all bunk designed to brainwash kids into Communism and heavy petting.[/QUOTE]

What about those who haven't yet reached an opinion? That's who both sides are scrambling for, not the hardliners opposing them.

A

Armadillo

If there's one thing I've learned about the creation/evolution debate, it's that NOBODY will ever have their mind changed about it. Either you believe that science is a way to attempt to answer questions about the world, or you think it's all bunk designed to brainwash kids into Communism and heavy petting.[/QUOTE]

What about those who haven't yet reached an opinion? That's who both sides are scrambling for, not the hardliners opposing them.[/QUOTE]

I have yet to come across someone who HADN'T made up their mind. Of course, that doesn't mean they don't exist; I just haven't seen them.

K

Kitty Sinatra

"Kirk Cameron on Darwin" belongs in the NSFW section doesn't it?

You know, I admire their boldness in sharing Christ with people but... their logical reasoning isn't always my cup of tea.

I can understand people believing in intelligent design. If you believe in god, I can totally see that you would think that he's the one who set up all the rules that science uncovers. I can totally see that. It's when they start on the creationism stuff that just gets me riled.

"God totally litterally created the earth and everything in it in a week" just seems willfully ignorant to me. Haven't these people ever heard of a metaphor?

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

their logical reasoning isn't always my cup of tea.
WHAT logical reasoning.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly it, Faith, by it's definition defies logic.

I can understand people believing in intelligent design. If you believe in god, I can totally see that you would think that he's the one who set up all the rules that science uncovers.
But that's kind of the thing. There's "intelligent design", the philosophical thought process, and "Intelligent Design", which pretends to be science.

Lots of scientists believe in the small-caps version, which is the simple belief that God had a hand in setting the natural laws, including evolution, in place to make everything work. Darwin himself is well known to have thought this.

Large-caps, on the other hand, is straight-up creationism pretending to be "science" even though there is no application of the scientific method to back any theories, and most of their "science" is pointing out inconsistencies in, or making outright falsifications about, our current understanding of evolution and geology, and then using that reject science as a whole and embrace creationism.

Setting aside the creationist vs. evolution debate, the problem here is that they are tampering with Origin of Species to put forth their own agenda. I bet the country would go fucking apeshit if people went to college campuses handing out versions of the Bible where Satan wins Job's soul and Eve told Adam not to touch that nasty apple.

Hand out all the Chick Tracts you want, or write your own, fine. Talk about Darwin's religiosity in your own book. But inserting bullshit into Darwin's own book is one of the most offensive attacks on rational thinking I've ever heard.

THERE'S NO FUCKING SCIENCE INVOLVED IN INTELLIGENT DESIGN.

Stop trying to get it taught in fucking science fucking classes.

their logical reasoning isn't always my cup of tea.
WHAT logical reasoning.[/QUOTE]

Well thats exactly the problem. As other have hit on, faith is FAITH. If it was "logical" it wouldn't be faith. That doesn't make it bad, it just makes it a different beast.
What bothers me about these guys is that they really, really think they can control faith. They can take it and beat it into formulas that MUST WORK. They think they can take faith and make it 100% objective truth.
To me, that defeats the purpose of it.

:puke:

The lack of logic and the mix of unrelated things is painful.

I want to think this will be completely useless, since they will be giving the books to university students, but it doesn't seem impossible that some are fooled...

A

Armadillo

I want to think this will be completely useless, since they will be giving the books to university students, but it doesn't seem impossible that some are fooled...
You've met university students, right? Lots of them aren't terribly good at the thinkin'.

You've met university students, right? Lots of them aren't terribly good at the thinkin'.[/QUOTE]

Now that you say it... I have met physics students who "don't believe in god but in some 'energy' that is everywhere and I dunno". Also in horoscopes. :facepalm:

EDIT: that energy thing sounds a lot better here than when she tries to flesh it out.

You've met university students, right? Lots of them aren't terribly good at the thinkin'.[/QUOTE]

Now that you say it... I have met physics students who "don't believe in god but in some 'energy' that is everywhere and I dunno". Also in horoscopes. :facepalm:

EDIT: that energy thing sounds a lot better here than when she tries to flesh it out.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure it's a "she" you are talking about?

A

Alex B.

I got into this argument with one of my uncles a while back. It went something like this, as I recall:

Uncle B - Creationism should be taught in science class. Alternative ideas should be presented.

Alex B - Ridiculous! Creationism isn't a science. It's fine if you want to have some philosophy class or something, but keep it out of science.

Uncle B - Intelligent Design is a science! *points to some creationist website with a dubious argument about the probability of life forming by accident* Math!

Alex B - *unsure of where to even start* Er, but, besides the law of large numbers proving that wrong, that site is premised on this other guy's book, which has been roundly ripped to shreds by evolutionary scientists. Either way, evolution isn't even about the origin of life. It's just about how that life split into all the species we have today and how it changes over time.

Uncle B - Where's the proof for evolution? Darwin couldn't account for variation!

Alex B - You're basing all your arguments on a book that's a couple of centuries old! They constantly find new evidence to plug in the gaps that Darwin couldn't.

Uncle B - What about the Cambrian Explosion? They haven't explained that.

Alex B - That "explosion" lasted tens of millions of years, and the only thing significant is that all these creatures developed hard shells and left more evidence that they existed.

Uncle B - So that's the proof? A bunch of old bones and dirt?

Alex B - Yes!

Uncle B - Well I just don't believe it.

Alex B - Well there we go.

Uncle B - See you at Christmas. I'll bring the zombies game.

You've met university students, right? Lots of them aren't terribly good at the thinkin'.
That is exactly my worry here. And I have a sneaking suspicion they won't be handing these out at Harvard, but probably schools targeted for not having the brightest student body.

That is exactly my worry here. And I have a sneaking suspicion they won't be handing these out at Harvard, but probably schools targeted for not having the brightest student body.[/QUOTE]

Religions preying on the weak willed and absentminded??????

The HELL you say!

Status
Not open for further replies.