Kirk Cameron on Darwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, people who evangelize atheism bother me just as much as those that evangelize any religion.
Which is why I consider myself agnostic. I don't fucking know, nor do I care.[/QUOTE]

You can believe one way or the other without obnoxious evangelizing, you know? Just because there are idiots on both sides is not a good reason to choose agnosticism, I think.

Cajungal

Staff member
You've met university students, right? Lots of them aren't terribly good at the thinkin'.
Maybe not on your hemisphere...[/QUOTE]

Man don't even get me started. I'm so jaded. College is a fucking zoo over here. Drink, fuck, and whine about a moderate work load that anyone with an average IQ could handle if their blood wasn't composed of mostly Natural Light... forget about learning.

You've met university students, right? Lots of them aren't terribly good at the thinkin'.

Man don't even get me started. I'm so jaded. College is a fucking zoo over here. Drink, fuck, and whine about a moderate work load that anyone with an average IQ could handle if their blood wasn't composed of mostly Natural Light... forget about learning.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what happen kids go to school on their parent's money. Seeing as I'm going back to school and paying for it myself, dickheads like this doubly frustrate me.

Drink, fuck, and whine about a moderate work load that anyone with an average IQ could handle if their blood wasn't composed of mostly Natural Light... forget about learning.
God, I loved college. :toocool:

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

Seriously, though, I know what you mean.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Actually, people who evangelize atheism bother me just as much as those that evangelize any religion.
Which is why I consider myself agnostic. I don't fucking know, nor do I care.[/QUOTE]

Can I get an AMEN?!

:thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

I feel it may be somewhat hypocritical of me to use a religious expression while I consider myself an agnostic as well.

Oh, what the heck. AMEN!

---------- Post added at 03:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 AM ----------

That is exactly my worry here. And I have a sneaking suspicion they won't be handing these out at Harvard, but probably schools targeted for not having the brightest student body.[/QUOTE]

I don't know which academic organisations you are referring to, crazy monkey cat lady... but I asked a friend of mine in New York state to see if her university is visited by these people. And then kick him in the dangly bits. :D

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 AM ----------

Man don't even get me started. I'm so jaded. College is a fucking zoo over here. Drink, fuck, and whine about a moderate work load that anyone with an average IQ could handle if their blood wasn't composed of mostly Natural Light... forget about learning.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what happen kids go to school on their parent's money. Seeing as I'm going back to school and paying for it myself, dickheads like this doubly frustrate me.[/QUOTE]

Will you hate me if I tell you that I pay about $120 per academic year in tuition payments plus about $200 a year for books?

I don't know which academic organisations you are referring to, crazy monkey cat lady... but I asked a friend of mine in New York state to see if her university is visited by these people. And then kick him in the dangly bits. :D
I didn't have any specific ones in mind, crazy Finnish sauna man. I just have a feeling the schools they pick will be picked for a reason or reasons, whatever they may be.

Cajungal

Staff member

Yeah, that's what happen kids go to school on their parent's money. Seeing as I'm going back to school and paying for it myself, dickheads like this doubly frustrate me.[/QUOTE]

It just breaks my heart to think of people who would give anything to have someone teach them how to fucking read or count--do something simple. But someone's parents' send these kids to a college with great resources and teachers and all they can do is complain about a simple 3-page essay or a project that increases understanding of the field they're "interested" in?

Sidenote... I've been known to have a little fun every now and then also. But still.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I didn't have any specific ones in mind, crazy Finnish sauna man. I just have a feeling the schools they pick will be picked for a reason or reasons, whatever they may be.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... Religious universities for sure, at least.

I wish I knew more US university students so that I could recruit more people to provide considerable kinetic force via the movement of a human lower appeandage to the external genitalia of these people.

Mmm, I dunno. It's not just about getting people to worship God. It's also about getting people to worship God THE RIGHT WAY.
By using Origin of Species as a Trojan horse. You don't do that with people who are already interested in Christ (in some way or another). If you watch his video (and I really don't blame you if you don't as I could hardly get through it), he talks about influencing future doctors et al, so I believe they are approaching rational thinkers with this Darwin ploy. He even talks about how their version is free unlike the campus bookstore.

Mmm, I dunno. It's not just about getting people to worship God. It's also about getting people to worship God THE RIGHT WAY.
By using Origin of Species as a Trojan horse. You don't do that with people who are already interested in Christ (in some way or another). If you watch his video (and I really don't blame you if you don't as I could hardly get through it), he talks about influencing future doctors et al, so I believe they are approaching rational thinkers with this Darwin ploy. He even talks about how their version is free unlike the campus bookstore.[/QUOTE]

Whoops, my bad! You're right, I didn't bother to watch the video. Like I stated earlier, my cousin-in-law is into this stuff. I've listened to him try and tell my father about being a true Christian, which is what prompted my response.

Also, while stuff like this does get on my nerves, I have to say I'm not really too worried about it. Religion is one of those things where most people already have their minds made up. Sure, there are always people who'll switch sides, either through true conversion or simply because they're too stupid and/or weak-willed to look away from the shiny bright thing, but most people will stick to what they know, for better or worse.

Let's not forget those who believe they think. Or those who think they believe. Or... ah hell, you get the idea.

Also, while stuff like this does get on my nerves, I have to say I'm not really too worried about it. Religion is one of those things where most people already have their minds made up.
Yeah, most likely this is true. It's just that the method is so underhanded, slimy, and utterly antithetical to critical thought. It's so fucktastically audacious. And just imagine the 30-ton brick they would shit if anyone did the same thing to the New Testament, slipping in evolution theory and handing it out at churches.

The sad part is that Science is just as full of Believers as Religion.
I don't necessarily find that sad. First of all, "science" is generally so incredibly specialized that most people practicing it can have faith without it affecting their work. For example, someone studying the mitochondria of cells could certainly believe that a higher power set off the Big Bang without her results being tainted by a religious bias. I remember reading an excellent article in Skeptic magazine where scientists who were religious explained similar positions about how their science and their faith coexisted.

Granted, none of the ones profiled were fundamentalists, or evangelicals, or born again, etc. I would say that science and the extremes of religion are not compatible, but generally speaking, religious belief does not automatically exclude the power of critical thinking in secular pursuits.

Oh My God This. QUIT RUINING THE VALUE OF MY DEGREE ASSHOLES! The only thing worse than the douchebag students with no interest in even being in college, is the fact that since parents pay for the majority of the schooling, Universities (mine at least) will bend over backwards for anyone over the age of 40, while it's near impossible for me, the paying student, to have his administrative needs looked after.

fade

Staff member
Believe me, we're just as upset about it as you guys are. Administrators do what they think makes the place run like a business, and we profs are down here under it all with you students who want a decent education. Our hands are tied in multiple directions. We have to pander to the students, because evaluations are heavily weighted because they're tied to money. We can't make the classes too challenging, or kids will complain. Or they drop, which is just as bad. We have to deal with the "smart" kids who think they know more than us thanks to that at least five decades out of date idea that "those who can't do teach"--which pisses me off, considering prof jobs are highly competitive and usually go to the cream of the crop who have to by their job definition "do" more than they "teach" anyway! I even hear people I respect spout that one off (I've heard plenty here say it). And we have to deal with the admins who give us contradicting edicts like "raise our standards!" and "make the classes easier".

Also, while stuff like this does get on my nerves, I have to say I'm not really too worried about it. Religion is one of those things where most people already have their minds made up.
But here's the thing, I don't think evangelical conversion of college students is really the primary goal with measures like this. This sort of thing is really more about getting public exposure to oft-repeated claims that evolution is just a theory, so why can't ID/creationism get equal time?

Religions preying on the weak willed and absentminded??????

The HELL you say!
I can only hope that Kirk Cameron and one of those campus Scientology recruiters get into a knife fight. Which they both lose.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to read this thread. I really am. But all I can think of is Kirk Cameron and Tom Cruise with their wrists tied together in a knife fight, almost cutting each other until zombie Micheal Jackson breaks it up.

Maybe I should have another cup of coffee before I post any more.

But here's the thing, I don't think evangelical conversion of college students is really the primary goal with measures like this. This sort of thing is really more about getting public exposure to oft-repeated claims that evolution is just a theory, so why can't ID/creationism get equal time?[/QUOTE]

I disagree. These guys, in my opinion, have their hearts in the right place. They really are trying to, in their minds, help people and show them a way to a relationship with God. See, they think of themselves as modern day Paul's, debating with other great minds.
The problem is, Paul wasn't, in essence, pushing a political agenda and like it or not these guys are pushing one, even if their intentions are right. They are so focused on evolution that they are missing the point.

Just my opinion of course.

I don't necessarily find that sad. First of all, "science" is generally so incredibly specialized that most people practicing it can have faith without it affecting their work. For example, someone studying the mitochondria of cells could certainly believe that a higher power set off the Big Bang without her results being tainted by a religious bias. I remember reading an excellent article in Skeptic magazine where scientists who were religious explained similar positions about how their science and their faith coexisted.

Granted, none of the ones profiled were fundamentalists, or evangelicals, or born again, etc. I would say that science and the extremes of religion are not compatible, but generally speaking, religious belief does not automatically exclude the power of critical thinking in secular pursuits.
No... what I mean is that Science is also full of people who proclaim "This is what Science says, so this is the ultimate truth!" without understanding that Science changes all the fucking time, with new theories replacing old and occasionally old theories being proven to be correct after all. They believe that Evolution as it's taught now is what it's always going to be, without entertaining the possibility that someday we might find something to totally turn it on it's head and as such become stuck in their ways. I'm not talking about people who actually work in Scientific fields and who are also theists, because that's perfectly acceptable.

fade

Staff member
But here's the thing, I don't think evangelical conversion of college students is really the primary goal with measures like this. This sort of thing is really more about getting public exposure to oft-repeated claims that evolution is just a theory, so why can't ID/creationism get equal time?[/QUOTE]

I disagree. These guys, in my opinion, have their hearts in the right place. They really are trying to, in their minds, help people and show them a way to a relationship with God. See, they think of themselves as modern day Paul's, debating with other great minds.
The problem is, Paul wasn't, in essence, pushing a political agenda and like it or not these guys are pushing one, even if their intentions are right. They are so focused on evolution that they are missing the point.

Just my opinion of course.[/QUOTE]

My biggest problem (actually the same one I have with most political pundits) is that people like this don't really understand the other side of the argument, yet they argue like they do. They make outright false accusations and assumptions.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
I wish I knew more US university students so that I could recruit more people to provide considerable kinetic force via the movement of a human lower appeandage to the external genitalia of these people.
That was the most awesome example of spock speak that I have seen xD

No... what I mean is that Science is also full of people who proclaim "This is what Science says, so this is the ultimate truth!" without understanding that Science changes all the fucking time, with new theories replacing old and occasionally old theories being proven to be correct after all. They believe that Evolution as it's taught now is what it's always going to be, without entertaining the possibility that someday we might find something to totally turn it on it's head and as such become stuck in their ways. I'm not talking about people who actually work in Scientific fields and who are also theists, because that's perfectly acceptable.[/QUOTE]
I'd be willing to bet that these "scientists" mainly exist in your head. It sounds dramatic and all, but I don't get the impression that you've been out and about in the world enough to back this bullshit up.

I'd be willing to bet that these "scientists" mainly exist in your head. It sounds dramatic and all, but I don't get the impression that you've been out and about in the world enough to back this bullshit up.
When I say "Science", I'm not talking about JUST scientists. I'm also talking about people who simply "believe" in Science for their day to day needs. After all, when we say "Religion", we aren't just talking about people who work for a church, we're also talking about people who simply attend service or live their lives by the teachings of said religion.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I'm also talking about people who simply "believe" in Science for their day to day needs.
Considering all the things that "Science" actually does for these people, I suppose if they don't want to understand what's behind all their gadgets, transportation, food and life saving medicine, believing in Science actually makes sense.

Just my opinion of course.[/QUOTE]

My biggest problem (actually the same one I have with most political pundits) is that people like this don't really understand the other side of the argument, yet they argue like they do. They make outright false accusations and assumptions.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it's because they think, for some terribly misguided reason, that if they get you to "dis-believe" in evolution then you will suddenly go, "Oh! Yeah! I should be a Christian!"
It's a terrible way to go about it and I firmly believe the absolute wrong way to go about things.

I disagree. These guys, in my opinion, have their hearts in the right place. They really are trying to, in their minds, help people and show them a way to a relationship with God. [/QUOTE]

When he throws in the Hitler reference within the first two minutes, along with the ludicrous claim about the lack of the "missing link", it's a propaganda piece. They are lying about science, and playing the associational Godwin game, in order to push a political and social agenda.

How is that "hearts in the right place"?

Let me put it this way: the way they see it, everyone who isn't in a relationship with Jesus is drowning (or living in a burning house, etc, pick your metaphor for slowly dying) and they have a way to save them (or show the to the one who will save them would be a better way to put it).
Remember, just because one's heart is in the right place or their intentions are good it's doesn't make what they are doing a GOOD thing.
I firmly believe that many of Greenpeace's members, and even their leadership probably have the best intentions but I don't approve of them lying to the public, pushing radical political agendas, acting out in violence, etc. It doesn't mean their hearts aren't in the right place though.
Does that makes sense?

Let me put it this way: the way they see it, everyone who isn't in a relationship with Jesus is drowning (or living in a burning house, etc, pick your metaphor for slowly dying) and they have a way to save them (or show the to the one who will save them would be a better way to put it).
Remember, just because one's heart is in the right place or their intentions are good it's doesn't make what they are doing a GOOD thing.
I firmly believe that many of Greenpeace's members, and even their leadership probably have the best intentions but I don't approve of them lying to the public, pushing radical political agendas, acting out in violence, etc. It doesn't mean their hearts aren't in the right place though.
Does that makes sense?[/QUOTE]

It does, but I fail to see how that requires that I give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the ultimate goals of that agenda.

You don't have to give them the benefit of the doubt.
I was just stating my opinion. However it's the opinion of someone who knows these guys, what they do and why they do it so I like to think it's got a little weight behind it. When I say, "here's most likely WHY they are doing it" there's a pretty good chance I'm right about it.

However it's the opinion of someone who knows these guys, what they do and why they do it so I like to think it's got a little weight behind it. When I say, "here's most likely WHY they are doing it" there's a pretty good chance I'm right about it.
Okay, if you know the guys personally, I can accept that.

Status
Not open for further replies.