[Movies] MCU: Phase 5 - To Kang or Not to Kang

Monica Rambeau. Known as Photon in the comics, but used the name Captain Marvel for a while. She was introduced in WandaVision.
Technically, she was introduced in Captain Marvel (she was the daughter of Carol's best friend). But adult Monica was introduced in WandaVision, yes.

I never thought it'd happen to me, but I genuinely think I've reached Marvel fatigue. Looking at this poster reminds me that I haven't watched Ms. Marvel yet, but I haven't even been able to force myself to finish Hawkeye (does anyone else find Hawkeye rather boring, or just me?) much less watch the other D+ series...

And this means I kinda don't feel like watching The Marvels if I'm going to be expected to be familiar with Ms. Marvel first.

I never thought it'd happen to me, but I genuinely think I've reached Marvel fatigue. Looking at this poster reminds me that I haven't watched Ms. Marvel yet, but I haven't even been able to force myself to finish Hawkeye (does anyone else find Hawkeye rather boring, or just me?) much less watch the other D+ series...

And this means I kinda don't feel like watching The Marvels if I'm going to be expected to be familiar with Ms. Marvel first.
You know she’s Ms Marvel, you’ll be good.

Technically, she was introduced in Captain Marvel (she was the daughter of Carol's best friend). But adult Monica was introduced in WandaVision, yes.
I've watched both and it isn't ringing any bells. Too many people at some point.

I can understand. I think I'm up to date (except for the Eternals cause it isn't available yet where I'm watching) but some shows... Ehh.
I'm not at all one of the men dissing all the new shows because they have female leads, but some are harder to get through than others. Ms. Marvel was good, but a bit young for my taste in style - I don't mean the actress. She-Hulk I personally liked, but my wife hated the ending. Hawkeye... I liked it, but it did drag a bit.

Even though I've kept up on the shows, I can understand the fatigue. I've said before that I find I keep up on the MCU more out of "FOMO" (Fear of Missing Out) than with any legitimate excitement. I'm BARELY interested enough to keep up and just entertained enough to tune in.

The shows, especially, have been okay at best. They're safe, mid-tier, without really offering anything of particular high quality. Once in awhile, you get something neat from them, like the first few episodes of WandaVision or Daredevil showing up in She-Hulk, but they mostly fall into the category of "this is fine." I haven't hated any of them but I also haven't really loved any of them. The only thing you're missing out on is lore, hints, or cameos for the bigger universe. Kang appearing in Loki, for example, or Julia Louis-Dreyfus' character appearing again to set up I presume Thunderbolts.

I've said this before, but the MCU has become just like the comics, for better or worse. Especially in the sense that they've made other films or shows required reading to fully understand what's going on or so you know who this person is when they appear elsewhere.

All that, said Feige has recently come out and said that he also agrees there were too many shows for last phase and they're looking to par that down going forward.

Last edited:
Saw Quantumania this afternoon, it was a fun movie. Good setup for Jonathan Majors character and his future with his character. There are 2 credits scenes, some places say 3, I think they’re trying to call the closing action in the movie a credit scene. First one is after the main cast credits, Second much later and ties this movie to a couple of characters from a well received Disney+ series.

I saw it today. It was… not good. Big pacing problems (slow start, abysmally slow middle). Way too many “jokes” that fall flat. About 90% of the dialogue is exposition. Bill Murray is completely wasted in an unfunny, unimportant scene. The constant CGI gives a hallow, pointless feel to all the visuals.

I will admit it has a few good moments sprinkled throughout (mostly in the first 15 minutes or the last 20). It’s still one small notch above Thor: The Dark World. Jonathan Majors really IS that good as Kang the Conqueror. The emotional glue of Scott and Cassie’s relationship works (even if it means every other character is disconnected and pointless). The first stinger is good, and clarifies the overarching conflict of Marvel’s post-Thanos stories.

But so much of it draaaaagged along. Ugh.

While CGI overload, the creature and "alien" designs were top notch. Some of the coolest visuals for those guys.

While CGI overload, the creature and "alien" designs were top notch. Some of the coolest visuals for those guys.
I forgot to mention that in my review. The constant CGI backgrounds are tiresome.
But like you said, I did enjoy how they swung for the fences on character design. It was weird, but fun.

I saw it today. It was… not good. Big pacing problems (slow start, abysmally slow middle). Way too many “jokes” that fall flat. About 90% of the dialogue is exposition. Bill Murray is completely wasted in an unfunny, unimportant scene. The constant CGI gives a hallow, pointless feel to all the visuals.

I will admit it has a few good moments sprinkled throughout (mostly in the first 15 minutes or the last 20). It’s still one small notch above Thor: The Dark World. Jonathan Majors really IS that good as Kang the Conqueror. The emotional glue of Scott and Cassie’s relationship works (even if it means every other character is disconnected and pointless). The first stinger is good, and clarifies the overarching conflict of Marvel’s post-Thanos stories.

But so much of it draaaaagged along. Ugh.
I had a different experience. I never felt the movie drag at all. In fact I was surprised my wife didn’t go to the restroom until the closing credits but still managed to catch the credit scenes. I didn’t realize the passage of real time because the movie moved right along.

I generally enjoyed Quantumania. They definitely went weird with it. It was the weakest of the three Ant-Man movies for sure but it was still a solid outing.

I didn't think Quantumania was bad but I did have a few gripes for sure.

Janet, just fucking tell them why you're being so cagey. The first time when you were still back at the house ok, fine, that's setting up that she still doesn't want to talk about it. The next hour where they are wandering around the quantum realm but there is "no time" "Not right now" ugh...spit that shit out.

Kang just suddenly forgot that he has tech-based telekinesis that he'd used in the prison prior on Scott and Co. during the last fight, as well as the blasts that were VAPORIZING everyone else just sort of knocking Scott, Hope and Cassie to the side a bit.

And, just a personal opinion, I was very meh about Kathryn Newton as Cassie in general and that speech did no favors for me.

Last edited:
The cause of many of the MCU headaches of today. Sold off Hulk, FF, and Spidey to other companies.
I think that's a little unfair to give him a hard time about doing such business when Marvel was desperately trying to cling to life at the time.

Marvel was only in that position due to mandates he set in place and that he wasn’t making as much as his DC counterpart. He was forcing the “comics aren’t accessible” point of view, and the stretch-the-story to sell more floppies storytelling.

I think that's a little unfair to give him a hard time about doing such business when Marvel was desperately trying to cling to life at the time.
Can we still give him a hard time about meddling with the movies, fucking over the tv shows, blocking female superheroes from playing prominent roles in the marketing because he assumed women weren't interesting by virtue of their sex, being good friends with Donald Trump, halting production of any Marvel property featuring POC because he's a racist asshole, etc. etc.?

Can we still give him a hard time about meddling with the movies, fucking over the tv shows, blocking female superheroes from playing prominent roles in the marketing because he assumed women weren't interesting by virtue of their sex, being good friends with Donald Trump, halting production of any Marvel property featuring POC because he's a racist asshole, etc. etc.?
Sure. All that stuff is awful if true.

If you ever read Marvel Comics: The Untold Story, there's nothing favorable about Perlmutter in there, either.

I found this within 30 seconds of Googling “Ike Perlmutter sucks”
I would disagree with the writers take on #15, replacing Terrance Howard. He came out saying he wanted RDJ money for his role even though Rhodey is just a support character. He’s still be getting MCU money if he’s just played the part and a new movie with him as the star next year or so.

I would disagree with the writers take on #15, replacing Terrance Howard. He came out saying he wanted RDJ money for his role even though Rhodey is just a support character. He’s still be getting MCU money if he’s just played the part and a new movie with him as the star next year or so.
Howard is also batshit fucking crazy

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Mix Tape:

• Radiohead, “Creep (Acoustic)“
  • Heart, “Crazy on You”
  • Rainbow, “Since You Been Gone”
  • Spacehog, “In the Meantime”
  • Earth, Wind, and Fire, “Reasons”
  • The Flaming Lips, “Do You Realize??”
  • Faith No More, “We Care a Lot”
  • EHAMIC, “Koinu no Carnival (from ‘Minute Waltz’)”
  • Alice Cooper, “I’m Always Chasing Rainbows”
  • The Mowgli’s, “San Francisco”