[Movies] MCU: Phase 5 - To Kang or Not to Kang

I definitely read the Beastie Boys as the Beach Boys at first and about had an existential crisis trying to imagine what their version of "No Sleep Till Brooklyn" would sound like.
I imagine it having a similar progression to "Help Me Rhonda".

I finally finished Hawkeye. Only took me about six months. It was okay. The first four episodes were honestly kinda boring to me, but the last two episodes added Yelena, who's a delight. I am now of the opinion that Yelena Belova makes everything better.

Weirdly, though, my favorite part of Hawkeye was when I recognized Adam Pascal's singing voice in Rogers: The Musical. I know him as Roger from Rent.

Next up is Moon Knight. Hopefully this one grabs me better.

figmentPez

Staff member
Don't mind me, I'm just sitting here bawling over the ending to GotG3, a full day after seeing it. I think some of those songs will be associated with the Guardians from now on in my mind.

GotG3 is how you super hero. Do good, inspire others to do good, protect the vulnerable, and find joy in life, friends, and family, because we're stronger together, especially when we're motivated by love.

I don’t think you can put that many movies out without one or two of the actors in them ending up being an asshole.

While I liked Tenoch Huerta's Namor, I don't think his portrayal was so iconic that he couldn't be recast, or that the character couldn't be dropped from the MCU entirely.

Last edited:
I saw the first episode of Secret Invasion. It's hard to tell from just one episode, but it's all right.
I’ve found the MCU shows can be like rollercoasters. WandaVision started really strong, but fell apart at the very end with a stupid “CGI in the sky” resolution that was tonally out of place. Falcon and the Winter Soldier was all over the place in its quality - great acting, shit writing and bad setting/cinematography. Loki started slow but got good quick, and stayed there for the rest of the season. What If…? was all over the place. Hawkeye was had a strong start, got bogged down in the middle, and finished strong (but not as strong as the beginning suggested). Moon Knight could never seem to figure out what the hell it wanted to do. Ms. Marvel started really strong, turned into a complete fucking mess in the middle, and then limped across the finish line in an “okay” state. She-Hulk was just… weird, with highs (fun story, interesting characters) and lows (dumb story, terrible CGI).

So while I’m looking forward to watching Secret Invasion, I don’t go in with high hopes. No MCU show has really blown me away. WandaVision and Loki came close, but their flaws are too much to really elevate them to greatness.

Yeah, I thought episode one of Marvel's Super Spies Wearing Toques was...fine, so far. Most it was dully shot and even the Skrull tech was kinda low key and not weird or sci-fi enough for me. Sam Jackson doing his Sam Jackson thing is enjoyable enough, though.

And I gotta agree with your assessment of the Disney+ shows so far, @Tress. They've been a "mostly fine" mixed bag. Some have had some great moments, but I wouldn't say any one series or episode has really stood out for me.

WandaVision started really strong, but it became less interesting as the mysteries were unraveled.
Falcon & Winter Soldier had some good performances, but it was mostly forgettable. I read somewhere the original plan for the bad guys was releasing some kind of plague. And they shoddily reworked it because of Covid.
Loki started slow largely because they spent so much time with exposition. Explaining how the multiverse worked, how the TVA worked, etc. Once they got the explaining out of the way, it got more fun.
What If...? was definitely hit and miss, though I think it ended on a high-note with the finale.
I liked Hawkeye, but I can't honestly remember much about it except for the big moments. The chemistry between the two Hawkeyes was a lot of fun.
I also mostly liked Moon Knight, but its lows were a combination of my issues with WandaVision (less interesting as the mystery unraveled) and Falcon & Winter Soldier (mostly forgettable except for the big parts)
The only good thing to come out of Ms. Marvel was the main actress, who dragged the show up to watchable. They clearly worked hard to try to rework her origin so it didn't tie in with The Inhumans anymore, but I'm honestly not sure if the final product was worth all that reworking. Giving her a far more complicated backstory kinda muddles it up.
And She-Hulk, I had a lot of fun with. I disagree with the bad CGI and thought it was mostly fine for a TV budget. I laughed at the finale's meta twist when I first watched it, but I've liked it less the more I think about it. Honestly, the only reason I loved She-Hulk as much as I did is for my man Charlie Cox coming back as Dardevil. He was clearly having a blast being back as 'ol Hornhead.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm so conflicted. On one hand, using AI to generate the opening credits of Secret Invasion is very fitting and makes an interesting parallel on questions of how do we trust what we see, what it means to be human, and fears of traditionally human spaces being taken over. On the other hand, it's fucking Marvel and they're almost certainly doing it mainly because they think they can save a buck.