Minor victory thread

My cursive writing is very good today.
Cursive is not fit for pupose. If you have to hand write something use block capitals so that other people can read your writing.*

*Unless of course you are writing notes to yourself & no-one else should be reading it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Had an 8 hour meeting scheduled today. Had another one scheduled for tomorrow.
Really didn't want to do it. So I sent out my "I resign immediately" email at the end of the day.

Minor victory, because I already have another job and have the luxury of doing that.
8 hour meeting? WTF? TWO eight our meetings?!! Wut the FIZZIDYUCK?

8 hour meeting? WTF? TWO eight our meetings?!! Wut the FIZZIDYUCK?
The company that acquired the company I worked for had 13 months to get their shit together and do migrations and knowledge transfers. They've been working with IT for hardware/networking stuff for that time. The team that was in charge of software basically told me "stop development, we're gonna replace it anyway, just do maintenance." They pretty much ignored all of my well-intentioned messaging that 9 years of custom software development tightly tailored to the business could not be easily replaced by a couple of OFS forms.

Someone higher up finally listened, and they're under a mandate to get it done by February. That means they want me to do 8 hour meetings every day until the migrations/knowledge transfer is complete in 3 weeks. No thanks. Not only do I not want to nor have to put up with that headache, I don't even think it's possible to do it successfully.

Is that lol as in "thanks for the easy money," or as in "gonna need another zero to put up with your bullshit"
Easy money. I quoted them a rate that was just shy of double my normal hourly rate.
Granted, it's still cheaper than a contractor like Booz Allen or RHT would charge, but it'd be all my money, so it works ;)

As an outside contractor, I get to set my own hours, and can work strictly to a pre-approved set of requirements. I don't have to put up with the same bullshit an employee would.

OT and stimulus money means funds are open to get the good coffee again. And holy toledo this is the GOOD stuff...

Going back to the regular schedule. Meaning tomorrow will be my first night off since the week before Xmas, and my first full weekend off since the week before Thanksgiving.

I'll enjoy the rest, but my wallet is making a bit of a sad face. Eventually the surplus I've got right now will run out. May have to reconsider that hulu subscription. Not the time to reup Netflix.

I spent more than I should have on two Disney scented candled. The first one is supposed to smell the Haunted Mansion which is basically my favorite place on Earth, and it definitely reminded me of it. The second one though is supposed to smell like Prates of the Carribean, and it's dead on. It smells like treated water, fog machine smoke and a hint of gunpowder. It's bizarre and I kind of love it.

I spent more than I should have on two Disney scented candled. The first one is supposed to smell the Haunted Mansion which is basically my favorite place on Earth, and it definitely reminded me of it. The second one though is supposed to smell like Prates of the Carribean, and it's dead on. It smells like treated water, fog machine smoke and a hint of gunpowder. It's bizarre and I kind of love it.
Where did you get them? I've seen some advertised, but a good review from someone I know (rather than rando reviews) helps.

I got my "Pirates" candle from the Magic Candle Company. Also got their "Dole Whip" one too. Both are pretty good.

A government agency in Taiwan recently started asking my company to translate their tweets from Chinese to English. My company's given the task to me. So now I can actually go onto their Twitter and see the tweets I translated.

I've always known on a rational level that my translations are obviously being used somewhere. That's why our clients asked us to translate them. But I generally never see where and when these translations are used, and to what end. Now, with this case, I see the words I wrote up there on an official Twitter feed, and it's a much more visceral and real representation of the things I do being used in a tangible way. And it feels good.

GasBandit

Staff member
A government agency in Taiwan recently started asking my company to translate their tweets from Chinese to English. My company's given the task to me. So now I can actually go onto their Twitter and see the tweets I translated.

I've always known on a rational level that my translations are obviously being used somewhere. That's why our clients asked us to translate them. But I generally never see where and when these translations are used, and to what end. Now, with this case, I see the words I wrote up there on an official Twitter feed, and it's a much more visceral and real representation of the things I do being used in a tangible way. And it feels good.
I feel the same way when I go by an auditorium and see the professor using the AV system I programmed.

First win is the nice feeling when I don't have to rush to get my paycheck in the bank as soon as it arrives. I can sleep my normal sleeps and deposit it once I get to work.

Second win is my check was significantly higher than what I'd calculated. OTOH, the previous one was ~4hrs short. I'm guessing they checked their numbers again and made up the difference? I'm not going to bring it up if they don't. :D

So... even with the rent deducted, I've got a substantial cushion. And I plan on doing NOTHING significant with it. Food, clothing, cleaning supplies, yes. But stuff like replacing the futon with that daybed I really wanted can wait for whatever stimulus money may be coming.

In any case, it feels so much nicer knowing there's actual money in my bank account for a change.