Minor victory thread

Barring one old batch that needs resubmitted, the issues with batch software and credit card processor have FINALLY been resolved. We can run transactions on all branches of the property again.

I was working on a new crochet piece when I lost track of my stitch count for the row. Not a problem. I'll just count back to the stitch marker....wait, where's the stitch marker? It had fallen out!

This would normally result in me frogging everything back to the beginning, starting over, and posting in the rant thread. Instead, I said "screw it", and made a guess as to what my stitch count was. That guess turned out to be wrong, as the features for the next few rows would have been in the wrong spot. I say to myself "if I can just get the next 5 rows so they don't suck, everything is just an unremarkable tube and it'll be fine."

So, I analyzed the pattern, and said "ok, ignore where it says to put increases and decreases and ears and stuff, and look at what happens on the row. This row has 2 increases, and 3 decreases to shape the neck. The rest are single crochets. We'll just freehand the single crochets and put those increases and decreases where it looks like they should go. As long as the overall stitch count for the row is correct, it should work out."

And I'll be damned, it did :D

As I mentioned in the Rant thread, I'm finally moving out on my own again. With financial help from Dad for now.

I signed all the forms and paid the damage deposit today. And got the keys. Here's some pics of the place, pre-Nick filling it in with crap. And a rough floorplan drawn by my sister.

It might not show in the photos, but there is a TON of closet space. Probably way more than I need.

20220131_190716.jpg
20220131_190726.jpg
20220131_190731.jpg
20220131_190738.jpg
20220131_190831.jpg
20220131_223453.jpg

As I mentioned in the Rant thread, I'm finally moving out on my own again. With financial help from Dad for now.

I signed all the forms and paid the damage deposit today. And got the keys. Here's some pics of the place, pre-Nick filling it in with crap. And a rough floorplan drawn by my sister.

It might not show in the photos, but there is a TON of closet space. Probably way more than I need.

What has two thumbs and a new apartment? This guy!

Movers came today and moved everything super fast. Still have stuff left at my parents' place, but things are slowly being set up. And I'm completely exhausted. Been 8 years since I last moved. Did you know moving is exhausting?!

Been watching movies while building furniture and setting up my new apartment. Here's a before and after of what I have so far. Still a work in progress.

Dave

Staff member
The wife and I are going on vacation in July. I realize this seems normal because we've done so the last two years but this time it's different for a few reasons. The first is that I no longer work at the university and will not be getting a BIG FUCKING BONUS on the first like years past. The second is because my daughter works and can't get the time off so we're not going to Washington. Instead, we're going to Dauphin Island which is Alabama but is really close to Florida. Fun in the sun, baby!

But money is an issue. So I decided that I was going to start working extra hours. Again, there's multiple reasons for this, foremost is that I need to study and cram for my Tech 1 test, which I want to take and pass before I go on vacation in July. My work schedule is 2 on 2 off unless I work Friday in which case I work the weekend. Mon/Tue work, Wed/Thur off, Fri/Sat/Sun work, Mon/Tue off, etc. Basically every other weekday (if I work Monday I have next Monday off. If I work Tuesday I have next Tuesday off.)

So I decided that on the WEEKDAYS that I don't work, I will still go in and study. Studying includes drawing schematics, finding valves/items in the plant, & learning setpoints for temp/air pressure/pH balance/etc. It's a lot to learn. In the end, though, that's a lot of additional hours.

Extra days in March would be 10. April 12, May 10, June 13. Total of 45 days. Now, normally I work 12.5 hours every day but I don't think my body could handle that, so on my off days I'm only working 8 hours and leaving at 3 pm. I worked the numbers because I wanted to see if that was going to be enough money. So let's run the numbers.

45 days at 8 hours per day is 360 hours.
My pay is $24.30 and all of this will be overtime, which means 1.5 times. $36.45 per hour.
360 * 36.45 = $13,122

Wait, what? Let me run those numbers again. 45*8 = 360. * 36.45 = $13,122. Holy shit. Figure I'll get like 70% of that, so the take home is $9,185.40. After taxes. That does NOT include days when the crew is short handed and I work a station which would mean a full shift.

Yeah. I think vacation is a go.

Just paid down both of my credit cards to almost nothing.

Now the Mount Everest that is my student loans I haven't been able to pay for the last decade or so. At this point, I'm not sure who even owns it anymore. :p