Minor victory thread

Music has performative aspect which is specifically covered under copyright. That analogy fails, regardless of whether or not you purchased the sheet music. Additionally, in order to address some of these concerns with music, there's a whole compulsory license scheme that allows someone to perform those works without even gaining the permission of the original rights holder. So, yes, someone can buy sheet music, record it, and sell it (under those conditions) regardless of what the original creator says.

My posted example, incidentally, is the start of a jellyfish, not a hat. I can still sell it.

And, yes, I understand your argument about the potential artistic nature of crochet items that aren't utilitarian. I specifically called it out when I said "Also, there may be some argument that the finished product, if unique and not utilitarian, may qualify as sculpture and enjoy some protection."

However, I then followed up with the mention that almost no intellectual property lawyer I found agrees. And that there is no case law to fall back on for clarity.
Because the above article is written by a lawyer, it's of course couched in what-ifs and no absolutes. But I find this particular passage telling (emphasis mine):
It’s tough to find court cases that have addressed this precise issue (probably because most indie designers and/or pattern purchasers don’t have the resources to wage lengthy litigation). We do, however, have one very old Supreme Court case that’s relevant. Baker v. Selden, 101 U.S. 99 (1879) involved a man who invented a particular method of bookkeeping using lined paper with specific columns and headings. Selden set out his method in several books on which he held copyright. He later sued Baker, who wrote another book, which explained Selden’s method and offered a somewhat different version of the ruled paper. Selden argued that Baker’s book (and version of the special, lined paper) violated his copyright.

The Supreme Court rejected Selden’s claims. The court held that there was a difference between the copyright held on the book itself, and the right to prevent someone from using the procedure explained in the book. Only a patent could protect the exclusive right to control use of the bookkeeping method described in the book.
But at this point, we're going round and round on the same points. There doesn't seem to be any advantage to continuing the argument further. Unless some case law comes up that says differently, I'm going to hold to the theory that you can totally sell what you make from a pattern (with the caveat that trademarked items enjoy different protections than non trademarked items), regardless of whether the pattern creator says you can.

After looking at near 50 houses, and making several offers, a seller has accepted my offer, and I (potentially) will be moving into my new home in 6 weeks.

This isn't epic yet, because between now and closing, many things could happen to scuttle the deal. But I'm excited!
Were you able to get the city you wanted or is it the second choice?

Tyler is a good place to raise a kid, but a shitty place to be an adult.

But they always seem to have a decent bar and a couple of decent restaurants.

I went out on Sunday in Longview looking for a place to take Mom for Easter Brunch. We ended up at Golden Corral because all the advertised places where out of business. At least think Smith County would at least have a Country Club to try out.

Also work out to get ready for the Beauty and the Beast Bicycle tour. I used to ride it when in college. But it seems to still be going. I should get back into riding shape again, it was the best race I ever did.

Tyler is a good place to raise a kid, but a shitty place to be an adult.

But they always seem to have a decent bar and a couple of decent restaurants.

I went out on Sunday in Longview looking for a place to take Mom for Easter Brunch. We ended up at Golden Corral because all the advertised places where out of business. At least think Smith County would at least have a Country Club to try out.

Also work out to get ready for the Beauty and the Beast Bicycle tour. I used to ride it when in college. But it seems to still be going. I should get back into riding shape again, it was the best race I ever did.
There's actually quite a few decent restaurants here in Tyler. I'm not a 'barfly' type, so I can't speak to that. And there's decent enough shopping--big name brands like Walmart, Target, JC Penny, Talbots, etc. And boutique stores as well.

Violent and street crime is very low. There are a few things to do, and for a small redneck town seems fairly progressive. There's a monthly LGBQT+ gathering downtown, for instance. My biggest bitch is that in Tyler, I have to drive 3 hours or so to visit any of my DFW friends, or to play Irish music, or to hit up any 'local' renaissance festival.

But the house I'm getting has a shed in the back yard, and I plan on using it to get back into making whistles. And there's a pretty damn good exotic hardwood dealer right here in Tyler, so I'm pretty psyched about that.

I found a pack of edible gummies from like 10 months ago that fell behind my desk while cleaning out my office. I've been pretty off weed shit for a while now but I'll be damned if this isn't going to make tonight a lot more chill, everything else be damned.

One more step to home ownership--my loan application has made it through underwriting. I've been assigned a loan processor to shuffle it through the final steps. If all goes well, I'll be closing first week of June. House still needs VA appraisal, which is my biggest concern at the moment: If the house doesn't appraise for sale value, by VA rules, they have to lower the price or I have to pony up the difference in cash. And I'm not willing to pony up too much.

It's been years since I have made any real money from my books. Nevertheless, I get a small pittance from Amazon every month. Generally not even enough to buy me a McMeal. Sometimes, rarely, I sell an audiobook, which has a higher royalty rate, and those months I might make close to $15-20.

I've never been a big seller on Barnes and Noble. When I advertised on BookBub, I got a few hundred dollars (as opposed to the much higher rate of return from Amazon) but I don't think I've seen a dollar form them since 2013. Well, I just hit the lottery! I finally crossed the $10.00 threshhold that B&N requires for them to send you a check--almost a decade later! I'll be getting a deposit of $10.30 soon..woo! :rofl:

I solved a software problem for a hot female coworker and her gratitude was so immense that I felt like I'd fought off a pack of wolves for her.

My niece's husband just got a raise that is more than my yearly pay. They just had a baby and his boss asked him how much would he need to let his wife stay home and raise that kid.
I'm going to hope/assume this was the arrangement your niece and her husband were looking for, and not the boss being all, "a woman should be at home with the children!". If that is the case, he has an amazing boss, or he's REALLY good at his job. (Maybe both?)

He told the boss that she had to go back to work as a teacher in two months after giving birth. Then the boss suggested the raise to cover her salary. He was already making enough money for her not to work.

I'm going to hope/assume this was the arrangement your niece and her husband were looking for, and not the boss being all, "a woman should be at home with the children!". If that is the case, he has an amazing boss, or he's REALLY good at his job. (Maybe both?)
From what I know, he makes a lot of people a lot of money. When he was working on his bachelor's degree a Golf resort offered him a $80,000 salary to run the place. He was part time working the Pro Shop and doing some paperwork for them at the time. He turned them down because he had plans. Then MBA'd then worked as an intern at Goldman Sach's.

But he is a wealthy redneck. Every time I ran into him he would hand me a Lone Star Light and drag his Cornhole and Washers games out of the back of his truck.

*checks the weather, sees it could go as high as 25 C*

Hot damn, I'mma wear shorts outside for the first time this year!
I never really care that much about shorts or pants, but about a week or a week and a half ago it got warm enough here that I could go back to sandals (admittedly, that's pretty much the same moment I switch to shorts too :awesome:) and man not wearing socks and being comfortable is nice.