Minor victory thread

I miss Double Decker Tacos and Cheesy Gordita Crunches. But they definitely are not on the menu for me any more.
So, in like 1986, I worked at Taco Bell. I worked there so long, I got bored with the food and started making my own stuff up. I started making double decker tacos before they were a thing. Some of my friends started ordering them (taco+beans+extra tortilla) and didn't mind the extra cost because they were good. Then random strangers started doing it occasionally.

So, I says to my boss "I want to submit this to corporate" They had a $300 prize if they used your idea for a new product. He refused, and I had no idea how to do it without him. He had all kinds of reasons why it would never work (just like most people you pitch ideas to...it is a bummer how many people will down your idea, even if it's a good one).

A decade later, they came out. I'm still a bit burned up about it. I coulda used the cash at the time.

So for the LCG Vampire Rivals (based on the Vampire the Masquerade universe by White Wolf) came out something like a year or two ago. I've only played one game before today, and it's a multiplayer game which has 4 players battle it out. Today we had 11 players show up to play and it was 3 rounds of swiss and then a final table.

I won a round and came in second for the other two, meaning I had enough points for the final table.

And then I won that game. I am the Prince of Milwaukee for this year.

My work moved offices today. Most agents still work from home and that seems to be permanent since this is a much smaller office. It's slightly closer to home, which I kinda hate because I like the morning rides and the workout.

On the bright side, we get new computers AND desks that allow for standing positions if we want.

And this is now the view from my desk. So I'm calling it a win overall.

20220719_095643.jpg

Last edited:
I worry about the future of airmiles given their recent loss of sponsors so I felt it was time to cash out. I had no idea before, but evidently there is a personal shopper option that allows you to get just about anything with your miles even if they aren’t in the catalogue. The exceptions were perishables, pets, weapons and explicit material.

It still seemed too good to be true, but I have an email from Apple. It’s on its way!

I worry about the future of airmiles given their recent loss of sponsors so I felt it was time to cash out. I had no idea before, but evidently there is a personal shopper option that allows you to get just about anything with your miles even if they aren’t in the catalogue. The exceptions were perishables, pets, weapons and explicit material.

It still seemed too good to be true, but I have an email from Apple. It’s on its way!
There goes my plan for a pet uranium rock shaped like a penis.

The house is slowly coming together. Electrical guys came out yesterday, and the house wiring is in fairly good shape. It's got 100 amps in, which isn't enough to run the house and a hot tub (which can take up to 60 amps), so hot tub will wait until I can get the mains rewired. But otherwise, no big issues to address.

Carpeting guys are coming tomorrow to do the official measurements, so I'm hoping the re-carpeting gets done within a week. Movers are coming in just under 3 weeks to bring the rest of the big furniture I can't fit in the car.

I'm getting settled in nicely.

While still not super happy about having to travel for work again, especially after getting covid last time, this time it's to Amsterdam, which I'm MUCH more interested in visiting compared to Vegas.

Kids went away to camp last week and we had to pick them up a day early because a small cluster of COVID cases broke out in my eldest's cabin. His younger brother had at least one case in his cabin as well. So we mostly quarantined for the weekend, tested a few times, and somehow managed to dodge that bullet yet again. It is still possible we are incubating it but so far, so good and it has been more than 5 days since initial exposure. If it does turn out we've got it in the house, we are not driving up to visit my folks this weekend. It is our only real opportunity to escape the smoke from the McKinney fire that is pouring back into our little valley, so we're all holding our breath that no symptoms emerge. *fingers crossed*

Good luck! May your clearance be quick in this digital age :)
Post automatically merged:

My headphones arrived and I love them :)

Reactions: Far
Usually, I'm pretty aggressive about checking my car's value and then trading it in when I'm not upside down and can get a good amount of money toward a new car. Because of that, and the states I've lived in, the actual title has always stayed with the lender because I haven't actually kept a car until it was paid off for a long long time. Like close to 30 years or so.

That said, the pandemic has turned everything upside down. Even though my car is several years old at this point, it has only just cracked 20K miles. It has no annoying problems, gets good highway mileage, and I still enjoy driving it. Consequently, I just got one of these in the mail today:

1661284496323.png

I get the monster cereals every year. Just last week I was telling someone that I was looking forward to them, and then had to explain what they were. And I was lamenting that they don't make Frute Brute any longer.

Well guess what I found at Target?
View attachment 42384
I might have to grab some Frute Brute this year. I know they did Yummy Mummy about 10 years ago, but yeah... they don't show up very often.

I might have to grab some Frute Brute this year. I know they did Yummy Mummy about 10 years ago, but yeah... they don't show up very often.
According to wikipedia, 2022 is the first year relaunch of Frute Brute in a while, and Yummy Mummy was only back for a year (about 10 years ago). Frute Brute has a different flavor (in addition to the slightly different name. I guess they can't call him Fruit Brute unless he has some actual fruit in there)--being slightly cherry flavored. But I liked it.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are generally not sold in shops in Taiwan. However, today I stumbled on a shop that does sell them, so I bought some, and then I ate them. It's not like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are some amazing confectionery treat, but they were something I liked as a kid and I haven't tasted them in literally years, so it was great to have some.

It's amazing how a taste of one's childhood can brighten up one's whole day.

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are generally not sold in shops in Taiwan. However, today I stumbled on a shop that does sell them, so I bought some, and then I ate them. It's not like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are some amazing confectionery treat, but they were something I liked as a kid and I haven't tasted them in literally years, so it was great to have some.

It's amazing how a taste of one's childhood can brighten up one's whole day.
Next time we visit, I know what I'm bringing!

Zappit

Staff member
If you’ve been following my kidney thread, you saw all the shit about how I was driven out of my teacher job after my transplant and took an internal suspension monitor job in a new district. its been busy this week, with kids in IS four days out of five.

The days are long. LONG. After the first day of sitting at my desk and not really doing anything, I brought my iPad so I could at least draw. I always start my Huzzah! comics on Friday and work through the weekend. I started work this morning, and finished the entire thing before the morning was over. Just every part of it in one sitting. I could have done two or three today. I now kind of get how Dave Willis does it.

I’d still rather be back in class teaching again, though.