Minor victory thread

Finally booted up my gaming computer today. Y'know, the one I finished building in March, but which I've been too busy to actually play anything on since getting back from CA in July since it's been a disaster or two per week since I got back? I checked the logs. I haven't even powered it on since July 21st.
I thought about putting this in one of the rant threads, but felt it would go better here. I'm choosing to see finally powering it (back) on as a victory instead of trying to quantify how much fun I lost over the time it sat idle.

--Patrick

Last edited:
I went to my local library for a book sale. Grabbed two copies of The Name of the Wind - one for my classroom and one for me (I own The Wise Man’s Fear but I never had my own copy of TNotW). Both copies are used, but in excellent condition. They each cost me one dollar. That’s pretty great on its own!

Then I look closer at one of the copies. It says “Advance quotes about the book…” on the back cover. Huh. Must be a first edition. So I look it up, and sure enough it is!

Then I see that a similar copy is selling for $65 online. Then I see it for $80. I head over to eBay, and used copies are selling for $100-$200. This one is like new!

So, do I sell it? Do I keep it? Any suggestions?

If you're not hard for money, sit on that. Even if it doesn't mean anything to you, it's not gonna get less valuable. One day Pat Rothfuss might actually write another book and then it'll be super hot.

Dave

Staff member
Got my labs back from the doctor. Actually pretty decent numbers. My weight has spiked, mostly due to working rotating night/day shifts every four weeks, which throws my intermittent fasting schedule out the window. Because of this some of my numbers have elevated, but nothing I can’t handle by being more disciplined. So no diabetes medication and my liver numbers - all but my bilirubin - have declined back to normal levels.

You fuckers ain’t rid of me yet!

Got my labs back from the doctor. Actually pretty decent numbers. My weight has spiked, mostly due to working rotating night/day shifts every four weeks, which throws my intermittent fasting schedule out the window. Because of this some of my numbers have elevated, but nothing I can’t handle by being more disciplined. So no diabetes medication and my liver numbers - all but my bilirubin - have declined back to normal levels.

You fuckers ain’t rid of me yet!
2022 may be a sucky year, but taking two of the Great Old Ones so close together would've been simply completely unfathomable. Lizzie saved you this year, old man.... :p

I went to my local library for a book sale. Grabbed two copies of The Name of the Wind - one for my classroom and one for me (I own The Wise Man’s Fear but I never had my own copy of TNotW). Both copies are used, but in excellent condition. They each cost me one dollar. That’s pretty great on its own!

Then I look closer at one of the copies. It says “Advance quotes about the book…” on the back cover. Huh. Must be a first edition. So I look it up, and sure enough it is!

Then I see that a similar copy is selling for $65 online. Then I see it for $80. I head over to eBay, and used copies are selling for $100-$200. This one is like new!

So, do I sell it? Do I keep it? Any suggestions?
I don’t understand the question. Books come home, they never leave. Why would you sell your children like that?

HUZZAH-thanks to icing and meds, now only my middle finger jolts in pain when I move it! Downside is I won't be flipping off stupid entitled Philly drivers when they honk at me-BUT-that's the road to health for you!

Repetitive stress injury from bicycling, you can put a lot of stress on your hands going far, especially today when I went all the way to friggin' Aramingo Avenue! ARAMINGO! The more residential the area, the FARTHER away it is from

HUZZAH-thanks to icing and meds, now only my middle finger jolts in pain when I move it! Downside is I won't be flipping off stupid entitled Philly drivers when they honk at me-BUT-that's the road to health for you!

Repetitive stress injury from bicycling, you can put a lot of stress on your hands going far, especially today when I went all the way to friggin' Aramingo Avenue! ARAMINGO! The more residential the area, the FARTHER away it is from
I find padded gloves to be helpful. I can look up the ones I use if you'd like.

GasBandit

Staff member
Might as well wait at this point. There's rumblings of either a Quest 2 Pro or possibly a Quest 3 coming relatively soon.
That's part of why I've held off, too, the hardware revs keep coming out faster and faster, so I'm waiting for another "sweet spot" moment like the GTX 1060, which I think has long since proven itself to be tied with my ebay PowerEdge for the best $200 I've ever spent on tech.

I keep toying with the idea of getting a Quest 2 as well, despite that I have an Oculus Rift already. The portability is a big draw.
If the Quest 2 was still available for as cheap as it was when I bought it, I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. Connecting it to my 5ghz wifi network allows me to very easily stream VR games from my PC wirelessly to the quest 2 headset, letting me pump up the graphics and play all of my VR steam games without ever touching the terrible meta market or whatever it's called, though obviously if you want to install games onto the headset directly and use it away from being connected to a PC you'd have to go that route.

But facebook is putting more and more restrictions on their hardware and jacking up the price for no reason so... yeah, hard to recommend.

When we left the mainland we also left all the good pho places. There is some here but they aren't quite as good.

First time I've ever been part of a beta test for something. And it's been a LONG time since I've played a fighting game, so to play this from almost the ground floor will be interesting.

We’re out of the hospital. Global improvements to her condition, she’s responding really well to treatments, radiation therapy incoming to solidify the spine, as long as it’s a bunch of short stints, since the anti-tumoral agent doesn’t play nice with radiation therapy.
So… We’re insanely happy.

We’re out of the hospital. Global improvements to her condition, she’s responding really well to treatments, radiation therapy incoming to solidify the spine, as long as it’s a bunch of short stints, since the anti-tumoral agent doesn’t play nice with radiation therapy.
So… We’re insanely happy.
I completely understand you feelings both before and after the appointment. Let her know we're all rooting for her!

GasBandit

Staff member
I managed to find a basic, no-frills refrigerator to replace mine that is about to die!

Shopping at appliance stores got me all kinds of crap I didn't want for way more than I wanted to spend.

I should have just started where I ended up - the hardware store. Ya wanna fridge? Ya wanna freezer onna top? $650. Done. Delivered tomorrow.