Export thread

Movie News & Miscellany

Limit: 500

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Much like the Game News thread, I figured we could have one for movie news. To kick it off:

INCREDIBLES 2!!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/18/disney-and-pixar-announce-the-incredibles-2-and-cars-3‏/

Also, Cars 3. (meh) BUT INCREDIBLES TWO!

Emrys

Emrys

With Brad Bird? Please?!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

With Brad Bird? Please?!
He's apparently already working on the script. May not be able to direct, but definitely his script.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

On the way from Blu Sky Studios (the same folks responsible for the Ice Age films and Rio) is Peanuts, based on the Charles Schulz comic strip. There's a teaser trailer that's been released.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=116144

It's nice they found an approach of computer animation that evokes the old specials without being a direct copy of them, but something in my gut tells me this is just a cash-in, especially with its release being the same year as the strip's 65th anniversary.

phil

phil

Much like the Game News thread, I figured we could have one for movie news. To kick it it:

INCREDIBLES 2!!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03/18/disney-and-pixar-announce-the-incredibles-2-and-cars-3‏/

Also, Cars 3. (meh) BUT INCREDIBLES TWO!
Is was just about to make a post about this. Super(see what I did there) excited about this.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Fuck everything else. Incredibles 2, at last.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

In other huge superhero movie news, I present...

THE MAN OF PEEL.

http://www.bananamanmovie.com

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

THE MAN OF PEEL.

Hollywood is ripe with ideas!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

THE MAN OF PEEL.

?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

THE MAN OF PEEL.

Wow. I'm a little surprised they're actually adapting this guy.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hollywood is ripe with ideas!
Hope they don't slip up, it seems like the kind of movie that would appeal to kids, but if they split the movie up into a trilogy again, they could make bunches of money.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Hope they don't slip up, it seems like the kind of movie that would appeal to kids, but if they split the movie up into a trilogy again, they could make bunches of money.
This post is DK-approved.

Far

Far

So glad they are finally doing a sequel to the only Pixar movie that actually needed one.

Granted, I genuinely feel like the Toy Story series got better with each sequel but they never felt necessary when announced. The fact that this is only the second Incredibles and the third Cars, not counting planes, is a travesty.

Though I am glad they didn't just push one out for the sake of it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So glad they are finally doing a sequel to the only Pixar movie that actually needed one.

Granted, I genuinely feel like the Toy Story series got better with each sequel but they never felt necessary when announced. The fact that this is only the second Incredibles and the third Cars, not counting planes, is a travesty.

Though I am glad they didn't just push one out for the sake of it.
Agreed with all of this. The Toy Story trilogy is an amazing set of movies, but when each ended, I wasn't demanding a sequel. The Incredibles should've had one a while ago. Hell, if they were going to make a prequel to any Pixar movie, it should've been that one. Golden Age of the Supers? Yes, please. I'm hoping this sequel takes place years later though.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Agreed with all of this. The Toy Story trilogy is an amazing set of movies, but when each ended, I wasn't demanding a sequel. The Incredibles should've had one a while ago. Hell, if they were going to make a prequel to any Pixar movie, it should've been that one. Golden Age of the Supers? Yes, please. I'm hoping this sequel takes place years later though.
My expectations? The theme of the first movie was about exceptional people having to learn how to live in a world that was full of average people, while still staying true to themselves. So I think the next movie is going to be about exceptional people finding out that there is someone better and learning how to live with that. My idea? Make it mirror the real world in a way... just as superhero movies have become a BIG thing, there is an all new generation of heroes arising and they are even more commonplace than they were in the Golden Age. Mr. Incredible (now ten years older) is still a fantastic hero... but he's in his 50's now and he's simply not as fast or strong as some of the new kids flying around. Worse, Violet is seeing the kid that a lot of people are saying is his second coming: strong, indestructible, and just as cocky as he was. He's every bit the hero that Bob is (was)... and he's been horning in on Bob's work. Bob's even been thinking it's time to hang up the tights, but after spending so much time out of the game, he's not sure if he can give it up again.

Except all isn't well: The new kid is the son of one of Bob's oldest villains and he's been positioning the new golden boy to take over as the big hero merely to let some crimes go under the radar. The new kid knows this is wrong, but this is the most time he's ever spent with his dad and he's finally got his approval so... but eventually the plan has to enter it's final stage and unfortunately that means Mr. Incredible needs to die and only the new kid is strong enough to do it. Under a lot of pressure and not sure what to do, he agrees and he and Bob have it out. Only his heart's not in it and Bob can tell, so they end up talking it out. Now aware of the whole plot, Bob and the New Kid (along with everyone else) team up to stop Bob's greatest villain and save the day.

You see, the plot isn't just about old heroes learning to let go of the lime light... it's also about what happens when an entire generation of heroes grows up without the role models and guidance they need to live in the world. It's an obvious statement about my own generation (millenials) who grew up with TV, video games, and the internet to guide us because our parents were too busy living their dreams to help us become adults. This new generation of heroes is cocky, reckless, and self absorbed... but at the same time more idealistic and hopeful than any that has come before. Too bad the only people who really took interest in them were people who could use them (which is, sadly, a problem with my generation as well). Upon realizing this (and talking down the new kid) Bob finds a new purpose in life: helping guide and train the next generation of heroes become as good or better than his. So instead of retiring, he talks to his old government buddies and together they set up a school for kids like this. The End.

Oh, and I want a Marvel cameo, even if it's only to parody the movies. Disney owns Marvel, they have access to all of the actors, they can make it happen.

phil

phil

Would Sammy L play Frozone or Nick Fury?

Wait, no, he'd play Nick Fury trying to get Frozone to join the avengers and they'd just get into an argument and insult one another for like 5 minutes of the best thing to ever happen in a movie.

clearly.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Would Sammy L play Frozone or Nick Fury?
I think he should do both... and then they meet and comment on how awesome each other looks.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Even though it's a steep, uphill battle, there is one potential glimmer of good for the Ghostbusters: the possibility of Phil Lord and Chris Miller making it.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=116264

While they're just being considered at this point in time and aren't officially on board yet, imagine a Ghostbusters reboot from the guys that gave us Clone High, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, the 21 Jump Street film, and The Lego Movie. Color me intrigued.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Tress

Tress

From the article:
...from director Jon M. Chu (G.I. Joe: Retaliation, Justin Bieber: Never Say Never)
'nuff said, indeed. :facepalm:

Gryfter

Gryfter

That is ...truly outrageous.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

My expectations?

*snip*
Usually I hate people's "this is how I would do a sequel" ... but that was pretty fucking good. I like those ideas and themes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

That is ...truly outrageous.
Hey, the music's contagious.

And what of the Misfits, will their songs be better?
Will they be the Misfits, and will they get her?

Gem, I was truly, truly, truly too lazy to change the channel after The Real Ghostbusters.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So Jeff Daniels just tweeted this, apparently -

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

A new Dumb and Dumber movie was confirmed months ago. I think this is just the movie poster.

Frank

Frank

So, apparently someone put out there in the world a bunch of screen grabs of a lot of the stuff that was cut from the original version of Event Horizon before the studio and MPAA had a shit fit.

It's very NSFW.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/69459/take-look-event-horizon-you-didnt-see#axzz2wtNkGm3p

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, apparently someone put out there in the world a bunch of screen grabs of a lot of the stuff that was cut from the original version of Event Horizon before the studio and MPAA had a shit fit.

It's very NSFW.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/69459/take-look-event-horizon-you-didnt-see#axzz2wtNkGm3p
Even though the movie got edited to all hell, it's still a favorite of mine, and I think the editing actually helped it, because it left you wondering what it was they experienced in the hell realm that had them going insane and tearing their eyes out.

That said... goddamn these images are creepy. Their visual effects department were a bunch of sick, talented bastards.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I tend to agree. Like how Jaws was creepier for not seeing the shark.

bhamv3

bhamv3

It's very NSFW.

Huh... someone in the production loved blood. And maggots. And blood.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Frank

Frank

Yeah, he managed to stay out of public life by showing up to a bunch of public events with a bag over his head that said I'm Not Famous on it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

This was in January. And he couldn't keep up with that promise for a week.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Am I the only one who doesn't mind Shia Labeuf? Sure he's not the best actor, but he does appear to be at least acceptable in the roles he plays. There are much worse actors to razz, and much bigger idiots to laugh at.

Frank

Frank

Am I the only one who doesn't mind Shia Labeuf? Sure he's not the best actor, but he does appear to be at least acceptable in the roles he plays. There are much worse actors to razz, and much bigger idiots to laugh at.
He made a movie that was directly plagiarized from an indie comic. When called out on it, he went super drama queen and then tried to pass the whole thing off as if he was Joaquin Phoenix. He deserves all the razzing he gets.

Also, NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Tress

Tress

That, and he's an actual cannibal.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I guess it's more miniseries/tv news, but the rumor mill is saying Michael C Hall's in the running to play Daredevil/Matt Murdock in the upcoming Netflix series.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I guess it's more miniseries/tv news, but the rumor mill is saying Michael C Hall's in the running to play Daredevil/Matt Murdock in the upcoming Netflix series.
Huh. You know, I think I'd be okay with that casting.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

That would be some great casting, although is he kind of old?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

That would be some great casting, although is he kind of old?
Honestly I'm not sure, though I know Murdock is middle-ageish so it could likely work. If RDJ can do Stark this could easily fly as well.

Gryfter

Gryfter

While I would not be opposed to this (MCH is a great actor) I am kinda hoping they go with someone unknown to avoid the baggage of previously played characters. Plus I agree that he is a little old for the part.

And he better friggin be a redhead.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Man, just when you think the new TMNT film can't get any worse...

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/04/teen...nter-with-johnny-knoxville-and-tony-shalhoub/

Johnny Knoxville is going to voice Leonardo and Tony Shalhoub will voice Splinter.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't remember having ever heard Shalhoub fake an accent, but I actually think Knoxville could do an OK Leonardo. A lot of people don't remember how goofy many of the Leonardos have sounded over the years.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I don't remember having ever heard Shalhoub fake an accent, but I actually think Knoxville could do an OK Leonardo. A lot of people don't remember how goofy many of the Leonardos have sounded over the years.
He faked an accent in Fallout.

Skip to 5:32 to hear him

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

that's actually kind of awesome

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

He faked an accent on Wings, and Big Night.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, I doubt the voice work is going to be this movies issue.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ok, maybe I should have said "faked a JAPANESE accent."

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Knoxville would have been awesome as Michelangelo.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Knoxville would have been awesome as Michelangelo.
No, Bam Margera would have been a good Michelangelo.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

No, Bam Margera would have been a good Michelangelo.
Ewwwww.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Last rumor I heard was of this was a new generation of Goonies having their own treasure hunt. Could be interesting if they did something with involving the original Goonies and how they react to their kids going on a dangerous adventure.

GasBandit

GasBandit

My first thought was "They gonna dig up Corey Haim?"... then I remembered Haim wasn't in that movie (even though Feldman was)... that Sean Astin played Mikey. Wait... Sean Astin... SAMWISE GAMGEE WAS MIKEY.

Head a splode.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Last rumor I heard was of this was a new generation of Goonies having their own treasure hunt. Could be interesting if they did something with involving the original Goonies and how they react to their kids going on a dangerous adventure.
Oh, THAT kind of sequel, which is pretty much a remake.

Speaking of remakes, fuck whoever decided to do a TV-movie Rosemary's Baby. I think it airs sometime this month, but that is such a fucking stupid idea. Rosemary's Baby is not a scare-movie, but already from the trailer I can see this remake looks like ... well, any generic horror movie from today.

Just Me

Just Me

Usually I'm not a friend of remakes/sequels, but I have faith in Richard Donner!

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Usually I'm not a friend of remakes/sequels, but I have faith in Richard Donner!
Agreed, the fact that he's behind it and not someone new is a good sign.

Frank

Frank

http://www.thewrap.com/bryan-singer-accused-sexually-abusing-underage-boy

Some pretty serious allegations against Singer here. He has kind of a rep for these sort of shenanigans.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Am I the only one who thinks it's awfully strange that this news just happened to come out right before the next X-Men movie?

Frank

Frank

Am I the only one who thinks it's awfully strange that this news just happened to come out right before the next X-Men movie?
It didn't come out before the last 2 he did or Superman. Why should it matter?

Singer's in the right profession for something like this not to ruin his career (if it's true). Look how many celebrities rally behind Roman Polanski. Hollywood has a hideous history of sexual abuse.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It didn't come out before the last 2 he did or Superman. Why should it matter?

Singer's in the right profession for something like this not to ruin his career (if it's true). Look how many celebrities rally behind Roman Polanski. Hollywood has a hideous history of sexual abuse.
It wouldn't surprise me in the least that it's true. Hollywood behind the curtain is a disgusting, vile place. It just the timing of the matter that makes me raise an eyebrow.

He's also said on record that several people abused him in various ways, and yet Singer is the only one that I've seen named.

Frank

Frank

It wouldn't surprise me in the least that it's true. Hollywood behind the curtain is a disgusting, vile place. It just the timing of the matter that makes me raise an eyebrow.

He's also said on record that several people abused him in various ways, and yet Singer is the only one that I've seen named.
Well, the article also talks about Marc Collins-Rector, who was already convicted of trafficking minors for sex.

Frank

Frank

Also, Singer has a pretty shady history involving minors or younger guys.

http://www.minorcon.org/aptpupil.html

And he has a very not hidden affinity for young guys.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...anonymous-director-gay-parties_n_1024561.html

I'm not alleging that it's true, just that it's not beyond reason. Hopefully it is bullshit.

Dave

Dave

I think things like this should be sealed until after the trial. If it's true then whatever. If it's not, though, it could damage his reputation and whole life. I think reporting the names of the accused in these cases is reprehensible.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I think things like this should be sealed until after the trial. If it's true then whatever. If it's not, though, it could damage his reputation and whole life. I think reporting the names of the accused in these cases is reprehensible.
won't someone please think of the poor rapists' rights

Dave

Dave

won't someone please think of the poor rapists' rights
So he's guilty? And your proof is?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Keeping investigations secret until proven guilty is absurd in theory and impossible in practice. And against what the whole country and justice system is about. For rapes or any crime in general. I suspect people (maybe you, maybe not) are more up in arms for this because of the myth that there's some huge upswell of fake rape allegations, but that's a myth (I don't have data in front of me). A murder allegation can ruin people's lives, hell ANY felony can almost make someone unemployable.

Also putting more sitgma and pressure on rape victims will only push more of them to not report, which is already a pretty high / awful number.

Dave

Dave

Keeping investigations secret until proven guilty is absurd in theory and impossible in practice. And against what the whole country and justice system is about. For rapes or any crime in general. I suspect people (maybe you, maybe not) are more up in arms for this because of the myth that there's some huge upswell of fake rape allegations, but that's a myth (I don't have data in front of me). A murder allegation can ruin people's lives, hell ANY felony can almost make someone unemployable.

Also putting more sitgma and pressure on rape victims will only push more of them to not report, which is already a pretty high / awful number.
I agree with some of your points, but not that keeping investigations secret is against the justice system. I don't think there's a huge amount of false allegations, but I do feel that they and other false allegations - Richard Jewell, the Duke rape case, the Reddit bullshit with the bomber - destroys lives for no reason. We need to protect the accused along side the accuser until such time as the verdict is handed down. I know that's difficult in this day and age of technology, but the court of public opinion, especially with the internet, is amazingly destructive and nearly always wrong.

GasBandit

GasBandit

C'mon Dave, you know Charlie won't care about the rights of the accused until after they're convicted.

Covar

Covar

Easy, he didn't make Chinatown.

Espy

Espy

Easy, he didn't make Chinatown.
Okay thats funny for real, but on a more serious note, sorry, the idea that accusations against abusers should be kept hushed up *just in case* really defeats the entire purpose. I'm not disagreeing that allegation can be terribly destructive to a persons life but then again, repeatedly raping children can be pretty harmful too. So I tend to side with the abused on issues like this, even if it means we have to deal with the possibility of false accusations. The important thing is that victims are supported and the accused rights are upheld. But thats hard for people to handle I think, and I get why, it's not an easy balance to keep.

Covar

Covar

I'm not in disagreement with you there Espy, you certainly want to foster an environment where the abused can feel safe about coming forward. Truthfully what needs to happen is for society to wait on the Justice System a little bit before grabbing their torches and pitchforks. Dave's idea comes from a good intention and place.

Espy

Espy

I'm not in disagreement with you there Espy, you certainly want to foster an environment where the abused can feel safe about coming forward. Truthfully what needs to happen is for society to wait on the Justice System a little bit before grabbing their torches and pitchforks. Dave's idea comes from a good intention and place.
Oh, I know you weren't disagreeing, I just honestly thought your statement was funny :)

Yeah, I think Dave's comment is right on in the sense that it wants to make sure that those accused aren't tarred and feathered before any real judgement is passed by our legal system. Thats a good thought. Sadly, I'm not sure of any way to deal with the court of public opinion that doesn't really just push victims into the shadows further. Honestly I think it's just a case of that old saying, "It's not a perfect system but it's the best we can come up with" you know?

MindDetective

MindDetective

It seems to me shining a big spotlight on such a sensitive issue can be harmful to the victim as well. Consider your reasons for making such things truly public. Your own sense that justice being carried out? You feel like you can scrutinize the proceedings better? Those kinds of reasons are nice for you and I but the only thing the victim needs is for a competent justice system to evaluate and judge the allegations based on the evidence. You and I are the public and so making things public is for our benefit and no one else's.

Frank

Frank

Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci will no longer be writing movies together.

Well....this is possibly a mixed blessing. They're....well, the worst writers of all time, together. Apart, it just might allow them to jack their shitty barely literate jizz into more movies separately.

Orci lobbying to direct third Star Trek reboot.

NO, GOD DAMN IT. FUCK.

This truther fucking moron needs to die.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

NO, GOD DAMN IT. FUCK.

Here's hoping that doesn't happen, especially the guy who's currently the top-runner is Joe Cornish (director and writer of Attack the Block).

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci will no longer be writing movies together.

Well....this is possibly a mixed blessing. They're....well, the worst writers of all time, together. Apart, it just might allow them to jack their shitty barely literate jizz into more movies separately.

NO, GOD DAMN IT. FUCK.

That just means DOUBLE the amount of crap movie scripts with horribly forced fan service!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Those dudes are really good at their jobs. They're really efficient money-making machines. It's not like they're rolling up and ruining cinema classics in waiting.

Frank

Frank

Whatever Faustian deal they made for success, it isn't from being good scriptwriters.

Tress

Tress

Whatever Faustian deal they made for success, it isn't from being good scriptwriters.
It is if you define "good scriptwriter" as someone who consistently gives audiences what they want. Your beef is with people having poor taste, not the ones who cater to them IMO.

Frank

Frank

It is if you define "good scriptwriter" as someone who consistently gives audiences what they want. Your beef is with people having poor taste, not the ones who cater to them IMO.
You can blame audiences (I do) and screenwriters (I also do) all day long. It makes me feel better to dislike these guys, because they are the literal worst popular writers in Hollywood, bar none (maybe Lindleoff too, fuck that guy).

It makes it easier to dislike them as well because Orci is a crazy right wing conspiracy truther.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

The plot has been revealed for the Goosebumps film.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=117452

The premise concerns the idea that the various monsters from the Goosebumps books are real, but kept locked away and in check by R. L. Stine writing stories using them. Sure, it's treading similar territory to We Craven's New Nightmare, but it's not a terrible idea for a Goosebumps film. I was honestly expecting something far stupider. I still don't have a lot of hope, but at least the basic story idea isn't a stupid one.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Frank

Frank

So, for that Batman Superman movie they have cast Cyborg, Wonder Woman and now Jason Mamoa as a rumoured Aquaman (My guess is he's going to play another football player for Metropolis and not Aquaman, but I don't know nothin').

SHIT'S GONNA SUUUUUUUCK.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Superman IS still in this movie about Superman, right?

Oh, who am I kidding. He wasn't even in the last one.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Superman IS still in this movie about Superman, right?

Oh, who am I kidding. He wasn't even in the last one.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm still pretty excited for Batman vs Superman. Ben Affleck owns, Jesse Eisenberg is a great actor, and Gal Gadot(sic?) should be great as Wonder Woman. I couldn't give half a fuck that he snapped Zod's neck, the action set pieces in Man of Steel were pretty stunning and some of Snyder's best work (faint praise, but).

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I'm still pretty excited for Batman vs Superman. Ben Affleck owns, Jesse Eisenberg is a great actor, and Gal Gadot(sic?) should be great as Wonder Woman. I couldn't give half a fuck that he snapped Zod's neck, the action set pieces in Man of Steel were pretty stunning and some of Snyder's best work (faint praise, but).
-Who gives a fuck about the characters, the people playing the actors are names that are good and the special effects were amazing!-

Michael Bay will never want for money with audiences like Charlie. :rofl:

Frank

Frank

Still sounds like it'll be a bloated mess.

Espy

Espy

Still sounds like it'll be a bloated mess.
I say this as a fan of Man of Steel and someone excited for BvS: I'm a little worried about them throwing to much in, however I expect they are casting far more for the Justice League film than this movie. Expect the other character to be very minor or show up at the end, heralding the next film, etc. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Espy

Espy

And looks like I/everyone else was right: http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug...rmed-starts-filming-after-superman-vs-batman/

I'll guarantee you that most of these characters will be seen only briefly in SvB.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Does WB have any comprehension as to why and how The Avengers worked out so well?

Imagine if we just had Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, and then The Avengers came out. That's what it feels like they're doing.

Tress

Tress

Does WB have any comprehension as to why and how The Avengers worked out so well?
No. Not even a clue. This is suits at a studio seeing something be successful, and ordering their underlings to make the fastest/simplest copy they can in hopes of jumping on the bandwagon.

These movies are going to be garbage.

Espy

Espy

Oh you guys.
debbie-downer.jpg

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

No. Not even a clue. This is suits at a studio seeing something be successful, and ordering their underlings to make the fastest/simplest copy they can in hopes of jumping on the bandwagon.

These movies are going to be garbage.
Not just Warner Bros., but Sony as well. They've already announced two sequels after Amazing Spider-Man 2 and spin-offs centered around Venom and the Sinister Six. Their cash-grab schemes are going to blow up in their faces.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Debbie Realism more like.

Espy

Espy

Debbie Realism more like.
SNL_1432_11_A_Very_Downer_Christmas.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

Not just Warner Bros., but Sony as well. They've already announced two sequels after Amazing Spider-Man 2 and spin-offs centered around Venom and the Sinister Six. Their cash-grab schemes are going to blow up in their faces.
Uuugggggghhhhh.... not Venom.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Uuugggggghhhhh.... not Venom.
Afraid so. From what I've heard, they may even show the symbiote in Amazing Spider-Man 2 near the end.

By the way, I've decided to ignore intellect and will be catching it on Thursday night. If it's as bad as it seems, then expect one heck of a write-up from me about it and what Sony is planning.

evilmike

evilmike

Great news! I was disappointed when Debbie Downer disappeared from the Justice League lineup after that new 52 business. I wonder how soon they are introducing her to the team in the comics.

Of course, this being the new 52, they'll probably try to sex up her image a bit...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Afraid so. From what I've heard, they may even show the symbiote in Amazing Spider-Man 2 near the end.

By the way, I've decided to ignore intellect and will be catching it on Thursday night. If it's as bad as it seems, then expect one heck of a write-up from me about it and what Sony is planning.
So Electro, Rhino, Green Goblin (but not by the person who appeared in the end credits of the previous movie), Doctor Octopus's gear, hints of the Vulture, and Venom.

I cannot conceive of this being a good movie.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

So Electro, Rhino, Green Goblin (but not by the person who appeared in the end credits of the previous movie), Doctor Octopus's gear, hints of the Vulture, and Venom.

I couldn't conceive of it being a good movie considering what garbage the first one was.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Haters gonna hate, Amazing Spider-Man owned, I'm really excited for this one as well, I like movies with a lot of exciting characters played by good actors :D

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Haters gonna hate, Amazing Spider-Man owned, I'm really excited for this one as well, I like movies with a lot of exciting characters played by good actors :D
Here we go folks, the reason Hollywood continues to fail. This guy right here and his many many clones/fellow sheeple.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm going to buy so many copies of the Criterion Collection release of Armageddon

GasBandit

GasBandit

Man, the first time I saw "criterion collection" in a torrent somewhere, I was SO disappointed when it didn't have the burnout games in it.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Don't forget Felicia Hardy and Alistair Smythe. They're both also in the film.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Don't forget Felicia Hardy and Alistair Smythe. They're both also in the film.
You've gotta be fucking kidding me.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

You've gotta be fucking kidding me.
Nope. I am not lying. Among all the other villains, they found a way to also put Felicia Hardy and Alistair Smythe in there.

It is not looking good.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

They act like they're not going to be making another Spider-man movie in two years.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

They act like they're not going to be making another Spider-man movie in two years.
They seem to be having the same "rush-in" issue that Warner Bros. looks to be having with the Justice League.

Celt Z

Celt Z

My brain wants to slap itself from reading all of that.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

i'd rather have too many awesome cool comic characters than agents of shield

Celt Z

Celt Z

i'd rather have too many awesome cool comic characters than agents of shield
Too bad the proposed movie above doesn't have any of that.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Too bad the proposed movie above doesn't have any of that.
WHAT spider-man has the best rogues gallery this side of batman

Celt Z

Celt Z

Spider-Man DOES have an excellent rogues gallery (less so on Venom, but anyway...). But that many villains fighting for screen time? It's going to be a convoluted mess. There won't be time to really let any of them shine. It's wasting a great arsenal of villains.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Oh, he does. Spider-Man absolutely has one of the best rogue's galleries in comics, rivaled by Batman. It's just that the way things are sounding, this film may not deliver on the goodness of that.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

y'all said the movie doesn't have any cool comic characters, that's what I was incredulously responding to

Celt Z

Celt Z

Sorry, clarification: They won't have the chance to BE cool in that instance.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

y'all said the movie doesn't have any cool comic characters, that's what I was incredulously responding to
So did X3 :rofl:

Espy

Espy

Yes but X3 had Brett Ratner, who least face it, is horrible in every way. Even Uwe Boll has more passion for filmmaking than that guy.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Electro: Great stuff in the trailers, both before and after getting his powers. I've never been an Electro fan, but from what I saw in the trailer, Jamie Foxx would've had me for a movie of Electro against Spider-man all on his own.

Rhino: Random brute villain? Maybe, but it'd be a waste of Giamatti.

Green Goblin: From what we've seen, they're tossing Harry in there, telling us they're friends (oh, hey Peter, been 10 years, huh? We were so close back then, yeah, we're still totally bros) to try forcing a sense of tragedy to the conflict between them later in the movie. The last Spider-man 2 did that pretty well, but they'd already established Harry as a character.

All the other shit: there's already no room for it. The problem with stuffing these characters into a movie isn't their presence--it's that this movie will serve as the introduction for each of them. Spider-man does have a great rogues gallery, which is why the movie-makers shouldn't treat them like a mass of henchmen.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm all for dissecting this movie after we've actually seen it. I got my $20 tickets for Thursday night IMAX 3D

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I'm all for dissecting this movie after we've actually seen it. I got my $20 tickets for Thursday night IMAX 3D
Hope you enjoy it. I'm catching it Thursday night as well, though just in normal 3D.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So long as it's not Cloud Atlas or Last Vegas, right?

:troll:

The movie very well could be good. Its predecessor surprised me. But I'll wait to hear your guys' stories. My next movie ticket is aimed at Godzilla.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

So long as it's not Cloud Atlas or Last Vegas, right?.
I never dissected those movies to the insane detail everyone's going over for Spider-Man 2 ITT.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

A new cast member has been announced for the Fantastic Four reboot: Tim Blake Nelson, who will be playing Harvey Elder (better known as Mole Man).

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=117730

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

They are making a movie for Peeps. That is all.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Well, looks like it is happening...again. A new movie of Power Rangers is being made.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=117994

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

REMAKE EVERYTHING ALWAYS

bhamv3

bhamv3

Well, looks like it is happening...again. A new movie of Power Rangers is being made.

Amy Jo Johnson did all sorts of strange things to my pants when I was an adolescent.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Considering they've made -64- movies in Japan... and considering the show has been on television for 21 straight years in America (almost 40 in Japan)... and also considering that Haim Saban has JUST bought a movie distributing studio, I'm not in the least bit surprised this is happening. Really, the only thing that I'm surprised of is that it's going to be a remake and not something entirely new for America. It's been 20+ god damn years... why don't we have an American Ranger team yet?

Covar

Covar

It's been 20+ god damn years... why don't we have an American Ranger team yet?
Money. It's far cheaper to dub over suit footage made by Toei than it is to shoot their own. Not that they haven't experimented. Mystic Knights was a successful show, but was passed up on a second season in favor of making a second season of Big Bad Beetleborgs, which wasn't as popular but much cheaper since it used Metal Heroes footage. The last 2 seasons of Mighty Morphin used a lot of custom footage from fear of losing the audience with suit changes. Lightspeed Rescue featured an entirely American 6th ranger.

Here's hoping they don't make a "more grown up" (read: cynical) version of the movie.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Money. It's far cheaper to dub over suit footage made by Toei than it is to shoot their own. Not that they haven't experimented. Mystic Knights was a successful show, but was passed up on a second season in favor of making a second season of Big Bad Beetleborgs, which wasn't as popular but much cheaper since it used Metal Heroes footage. The last 2 seasons of Mighty Morphin used a lot of custom footage from fear of losing the audience with suit changes. Lightspeed Rescue featured an entirely American 6th ranger.

Here's hoping they don't make a "more grown up" (read: cynical) version of the movie.
A Dark Knight-inspired Power Rangers would be hilarious.

But I still wouldn't see it, so they should do whatever kind of movie the fans want to see.

Frank

Frank

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Damnit. Looks like Orci has entered negotiations to direct Star Trek 3.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=118098

I was really hoping Joe Cornish would somehow pull through and get to write and direct, but it looks like the studio is going with this guy.

Frank

Frank

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Screenwriting and directing require different skillsets, maybe these guys are great visionaries and this will improve how they express their cinematic voice.

Frank

Frank

Screenwriting and directing require different skillsets, maybe these guys are great visionaries and this will improve how they express their cinematic voice.
Or maybe they've never directed anything before and we're in for some real God awful disasters.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Now, some lighter movie news: an animated adaptation of Oscar Wilde's The Canterville Ghost is in the works, starring Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=118104

Frank

Frank

Damnit. Looks like Orci has entered negotiations to direct Star Trek 3.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=118098

I was really hoping Joe Cornish would somehow pull through and get to write and direct, but it looks like the studio is going with this guy.
http://badassdigest.com/2014/05/09/can-roberto-orci-make-the-best-star-trek-reboot-film

This guy has a more optimistic hope that things might turn out for the best.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Not only is there a Jem and the Holograms movie on the way (with some of the main parts already casted), but apparently Molly Ringwald is going to show up in it.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=118581

Celt Z

Celt Z

:eek::aaah::confused:

I don't even know how to properly convey my reaction to that. There are no words, just confused feelings.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

:eek::aaah::confused:

I don't even know how to properly convey my reaction to that. There are no words, just confused feelings.
Do you think it's outrageous? Truly, truly, TRULY outrageous?

Gryfter

Gryfter

Do you think it's outrageous? Truly, truly, TRULY outrageous?
I do.... I really do.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Edgar Wright is leaving the director's chair and won't be directing Ant-Man.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=118714

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Edgar Wright is leaving the director's chair and won't be directing Ant-Man.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=118714
Hurm. This does not bode well. Though if his script stays intact, then there's still hope.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Early reports indicate Marvel canned him when they found out he wanted to include a color.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Early reports indicate Marvel canned him when they found out he wanted to include a color.
No, that sounds more like Warner Bros. and DC's department.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That doesn't make sense at all. The Avengers was hugely colourful, with each of the iconic characters wearing different, bright colours.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think he meant include a "colored." Get your epithets right, man!

Frank

Frank

Other reports indicate Marvel wanted big phase integration and Wright wanted a more standalone film.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Other reports indicate Marvel wanted big phase integration and Wright wanted a more standalone film.
Honestly, that would be the best guess on what happened, considering that Edgar Wright and Marvel had been developing Ant-Man prior to the major success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

From what I understood Ant-Man wasn't supposed to really tie into anything anyway, and if anything was going to be the first push of the Phase 3 movies. Still though, really sad to hear this as I just watched Scott Pilgrim again the other day.

Espy

Espy

Thats terrible news.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Looks like Joss Whedon is showing solidarity to Edgar Wright on this issue.

Frank

Frank

http://badassdigest.com/2014/05/24/is-this-the-end-of-the-marvel-movie-age/

It was a good run.

Yesterday Edgar Wright left Ant-Man when Marvel took him and Joe Cornish off the script and handed it to Eric Pearson, who had written the Marvel One Shots. Latino Review has the story here, and it's an ugly one of Marvel backing off their filmmaker at the last moment. The new script is apparently a disaster, and rumor has it that the problem is coming from higher up than Kevin Feige - Disney execs are sticking their fingers into the Marvel pie, I'm hearing.

This morning Latino Review got a new Marvel scoop - Drew Goddard is leaving the Netflix Daredevil show, they say. No reason is given yet.

On Twitter Joss Whedon, the big creative name behind Marvel these days, posted this:

Same picture as above post

a clear display of solidarity with Edgar Wright, who wasn't fired from Ant-Man but forced off the project when given a shitty script just weeks before shooting. Whedon, by the way, has hinted that The Avengers: Age of Ultron is the finale of his time with Marvel.

This follows on the heels of Marvel taking Thor: The Dark World away from Alan Taylor in post and having another director come on and shoot additional material. Marvel's always been autocratic - this is the house that Feige built, and he's been leading it with an iron fist - but things have been getting uglier over there for some time, especially now that Disney is getting involved. Why would the studio fuck with the division that's making money and having a huge cultural impact right when they're at their best? Because of dumb egos. Hollywood is dumb, run by dumb, venal people, and the executives who aren't creative resent the people who are, and want to get their stink on the movies. And you have to understand that Disney doesn't care about the movies - they want the Marvel IP so they can sell diapers and shirts and bedsheets. The movies are just commercials for the IP.

It's only going to get worse. Disney's notes on Ant-Man made the movie homogenized and flat. They're not going to stop there. How long will Marvel resist before they just give up? Kevin Feige's contract is up in 2018 - I would be surprised if he re-ups. I'm betting on the press tour for Avengers 3 being his big victory lap as he says it's time for someone else to lead Marvel into the next phase.

As for what's up with Ant-Man... does Marvel even want to make this movie? Everything I've heard about this new script indicates they really aren't behind the concept. And what's the point of making Ant-Man without Edgar Wright anyway? Could they simply scrap the whole project? What if they killed Ant-Man, abandoned that release date and announced Captain/Ms. Marvel for November 2015? They have the script. I think they have the role cast. They know that there's a lot of impact to be had with the first female-led superhero movie of this particular cycle.

LIke I said, it was a good run. There will be more good Marvel movies, but you can see the expiration date now.
[DOUBLEPOST=1400965179,1400964636][/DOUBLEPOST]And now for something completely unrelated to anything.

The red and blue Power Rangers have both aged noticeably, but look pretty good for guys in their 40s. The black Power Ranger doesn't look like the march of time has fucking touched him. That guy is 43 years old.

And tasteless joke of the day, the yellow Power Ranger has definitely aged the poorest of them all.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm just glad they finally stopped treating Blue like shit for being gay.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

And tasteless joke of the day, the yellow Power Ranger has definitely aged the poorest of them all.
That was unnecessary.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

This whole business with Marvel is a little disheartening. I hope it's just a slight bump in the road and that they keep on making great films.

Frank

Frank

This whole business with Marvel is a little disheartening. I hope it's just a slight bump in the road and that they keep on making great films.
Sounds bad.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Well, it all really started with the money issue and RDJ, but that seemed to get resolved. I guess we'll see where things go from here.

Espy

Espy

Let's face it, marvel had made a few really good films and a lot of okay/cookie cutter films. They need to step back and realize quantity doesn't mean quality. Firing great directors who don't let you fuck up what may be one of those great directors isn't going to help any.[DOUBLEPOST=1400978599,1400978409][/DOUBLEPOST]Also: let's hope the news that Whedon may be done sooner rather than later means somebody will snatch him back up to do the Wonder Woman film (I'm joking, no one is smart enough at Warner bros to do that.)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't have a problem with them wrapping up at Avengers 3. This couldn't go on forever.

linglingface

linglingface

Not only is there a Jem and the Holograms movie on the way (with some of the main parts already casted), but apparently Molly Ringwald is going to show up in it.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=118581
I imagine it will be like "Josie and the Pussycats" which I adored. I'm pretty stoked about this movie!
However, they ran a contest for fans of the series to get cast in the movie, and said they really wanted true fans in a few of the roles. Some people went all out with their online "auditions," only to have them cast some young Disney stars. It's definitely not a bad thing that they have established actors in the role over some "normal" people, but it was just weird for them to give essentially false hope to these Jem fans.
ANYWAY, I'm excited. :)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I don't have a problem with them wrapping up at Avengers 3. This couldn't go on forever.
I imagine they'll do Avengers Academy or something after Avengers 3... or just have an entirely new team with cameos from the old one. They certainly have enough material for a few years.

Espy

Espy

Oh, I'm sure it will end there.

Then it can all be rebooted with new actors and slightly different scripts.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Wow. So, the Warcraft movie has finished shooting. I never thought it'd get this far.

But don't stand in line just yet. It's set to release March 2016. That's a loooooot of post-production. ILM is doing it though, so should LOOK good, if nothing else?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Wow. So, the Warcraft movie has finished shooting. I never thought it'd get this far.

But don't stand in line just yet. It's set to release March 2016. That's a loooooot of post-production. ILM is doing it though, so should LOOK good, if nothing else?
Yeah, I can't believe how far they've gotten with this, either.

...Here's hoping it's a film that turns out to be good in a way that you don't have to add, "...but in terms of video game movies".

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Wow, I thought they gave up on that.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I'm assuming it was filmed entirely with machinima.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm assuming it was filmed entirely with machinima.
This would be hilarious.

Dei

Dei

http://m.deadline.com/2014/05/mgm-warner-bros-reboot-stargate/

Whhhhhy a reboot? Why not just a new story in the universe? I hate reboots, unless they are remaking something older than I am.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

http://m.deadline.com/2014/05/mgm-warner-bros-reboot-stargate/

Whhhhhy a reboot? Why not just a new story in the universe? I hate reboots, unless they are remaking something older than I am.
Also totally unnecessary considering how that fiction works.

Covar

Covar

Stargate wasn't a very good movie. Shows were excellent, but the movie was blah.[DOUBLEPOST=1401415026,1401414585][/DOUBLEPOST]After reading the deadline article, I'm really disappointed in this news, rant to come tomorrow but suffice to say MGM doesn't understand that Stargate being one of their top franchises has next to nothing to do with the movie.

Covar

Covar

Whhhhhy a reboot? Why not just a new story in the universe?
Because Roland Emmerich and Dean Develin dislike that other people got to play in their sandbox.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Because Roland Emmerich and Dean Develin dislike that other people got to play in their sandbox.
It's more like their litterbox because their ideas were nothing but shit. SG-1 is what made it a franchise.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

The new director of Ant-Man rumors are already flying.

The only one of those with any real action was Zombieland, so hopefully that's the director we get.

I just watched World's End last weekend, and man now I am beyond sad Wright is gone. The fight scenes were so great.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

BREAKING NEWS Adam McKay is directing Ant-Ma...oh wait now he's not.

Can we just go ahead and assume this movie will become the Duke Nukem Forever of film?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Not only is Dr. Strange on the way, but they have their director: Scott Derrickson.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=119076

He was the director of the film Sinister.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Not only is Dr. Strange on the way, but they have their director: Scott Derrickson.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=119076

He was the director of the film Sinister.
I am absolutely okay with that choice.

Espy

Espy

I think that's great. He's a solid horror director.

Snide but deserved comment: thank god it's another movie about a white male superhero. I'm tired of all these minorities and women getting starring roles.

MindDetective

MindDetective

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I thought a Black Panther movie was being strongly considered, as well? Maybe I heard wrong.

Honestly, they could do well to put together that and a She-Hulk movie sooner than later. The latter would be a big middle finger to DC for not doing Wonder Woman.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I thought a Black Panther movie was being strongly considered, as well? Maybe I heard wrong.

Honestly, they could do well to put together that and a She-Hulk movie sooner than later. The latter would be a big middle finger to DC for not doing Wonder Woman.
I honestly think we'll get Ms. Marvel or Black Widow as movies before She-Hulk.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I thought I had read Carol Danvers was cast for AoU, and with the Kree being introduced in GotG thanks to Ronan, a Captain Marvel movie is totally possible.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Apparently the Marvel rumor mill is churning about Jared Leto in talks for the role of Doctor Strange. Honestly it's been awhile since I've seen any of his movies so I can't say for sure how I feel about it.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

I'm not sure about the look, but after watching him on Mad Men, I could totally see John Hamm playing Stephen Strange

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I really don't see Jared Leto doing a studio movie / anything comic related that would be more than one film.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I really don't see Jared Leto doing a studio movie / anything comic related that would be more than one film.
That's what I was thinking, too. It doesn't seem like something he'd really go near, and before this the rumor was John Hamm which didn't amount to anything.

Celt Z

Celt Z

No, no, you've been reading that wrong. The internet has been saying that Jared Leto IS strange, which isn't a rumor. :awesome:

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Lauren Faust is going to be directing an animated film called Medusa.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=119165

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Looks like we have two potential actors for the role of Dr. Strange: Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hardy.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=119226

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I kinda hope neither of them get it. They're already well-known for iconic pop culture characters (primarily Sherlock and Bane respectively). Give it to someone else.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

"What happens if I remove the Eye?"

"It would be extremely painful."

"You're a big sorcerer."

"For you."

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'd prefer Cumberbatch over Hardy. Imagine Cumberbatch's smooth growling voice, as Dr. Strange.

Whew.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Personally, I wouldn't want either. Both because they've both done so much already (like @ThatNickGuy said), but also because I think a Hispanic actor, or some other minority, might serve the role better. I'm not terribly familiar with rising stars in Hollywood these days, not of any ethnicity, but I'd take Michael Peña (loved him in End of Watch) over Hardy or Cumberbatch.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I admit my knowledge of Dr. Strange isn't an informed as other heroes, but from what I remember, he would be a good candidate for some much-need diversity in Marvel casting. It would be nice to see someone of Hispanic or maybe even Asian descent leading the film. I would argue that it worked for Nick Fury; both in the comics and on film, giving Fury that "Sam Jackson" touch made him less bland/generic.

Like others have said, Hardy and Cumberbatch are fine actors, but they've already done so much within the genre. Let Dr. Strange be fresh for audiences instead of carrying around a well-know actor's baggage.

Espy

Espy

Cast a minority as a second string comic book character? Why do you hate white people Celt Z? Are you racist against white people? COME ON. ;)

evilmike

evilmike

I would argue that it worked for Nick Fury; both in the comics and on film, giving Fury that "Sam Jackson" touch made him less bland/generic.
I think the phrase you are searching for is "less Hasselhoffian".

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

They'd be playing with the character origins and story a bit (the horror), but I would like them to cast a someone who could pass as Nepalese or Tibetan and re-frame the story as a "returning to the rejected customs of the old country" story and also possibly high-light the troubles in Tibet.

That said, if they do cast a white American or British actor, I really hope that they DON'T make it about Tibet.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Okay, okay. Guys, I think I have the solution that everyone can agree on.

We cast Carrot Top.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That said, if they do cast a white American or British actor, I really hope that they DON'T make it about Tibet.
It won't. They want to sell this movie in China and I think the communists might have a problem with the use of Tibet.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I admit my knowledge of Dr. Strange isn't an informed as other heroes, but from what I remember, he would be a good candidate for some much-need diversity in Marvel casting. It would be nice to see someone of Hispanic or maybe even Asian descent leading the film. I would argue that it worked for Nick Fury; both in the comics and on film, giving Fury that "Sam Jackson" touch made him less bland/generic.

Like others have said, Hardy and Cumberbatch are fine actors, but they've already done so much within the genre. Let Dr. Strange be fresh for audiences instead of carrying around a well-know actor's baggage.
Well, there was already a black Nick Fury before the movies, so it wasn't a total out of the blue casting choice. Nick Fury in the Ultimate universe prior to the movies was pretty much based on SLJ.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Well, there was already a black Nick Fury before the movies, so it wasn't a total out of the blue casting choice. Nick Fury in the Ultimate universe prior to the movies was pretty much based on SLJ.
That's what I meant about "in the comics" and why I listed it before the movies. In any case, the point still stands that it can be done and done well.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I just read someone on another site suggesting Oded Fehr for Dr. Strange. I like that idea!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

That's what I meant about "in the comics" and why I listed it before the movies. In any case, the point still stands that it can be done and done well.
Oh, I misunderstood. But yeah, Samuel L does great work as Fury.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I just read someone on another site suggesting Oded Fehr for Dr. Strange. I like that idea!
Man, haven't seen that guy in ages. It's like the Resident Evil movies killed off his film career. But yeah, he'd be an interesting choice, I think.

Espy

Espy

Yeah Oded would be good. But he's probably not white enough.

Frank

Frank

So, Milo Venitigliamidnaindnnaiin (of Heroes and Rocky Balboa "fame") is apparently going to be the new Punisher.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/CBMNewsLMB10/news/?a=102301#SyJhOBlsuGUdmT7r.01

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Uuuuuuuuuuugh he was fucking awful in Heroes, just not a good actor. Give it back to Thomas Jane. Dude was a great Punisher in a bad movie.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

That's a really weird choice.

Espy

Espy

Or he's just lobbying for it. Thats what it sounds like. Lets hope that doesn't happen. He's terrible.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

oh yeah, lol, it's not even news, it's complete bullshit

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

...Huh. So, apparently there's a remake in the works of The Incredible Mr. Limpet.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=120330

It's being written and directed by Richard Linklater. It will star Zach Galifianakis as Mr. Limpet, who will be attempting to save the fish population in his small beach town. The film's villain will be an unscrupulous businessman played by Jon Hamm. Danny McBride and Sarah Silverman will play two live-action characters, while Josh Gad, Kevin Hart, and Key & Peele will be voicing animated sea creatures.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

...Huh. So, apparently there's a remake in the works of The Incredible Mr. Limpet.

It's being written and directed by Richard Linklater. It will star Zach Galifianakis as Mr. Limpet, who will be attempting to save the fish population in his small beach town. The film's villain will be an unscrupulous businessman played by Jon Hamm. Danny McBride and Sarah Silverman will play two live-action characters, while Josh Gad, Kevin Hart, and Key & Peele will be voicing animated sea creatures.
I'm more surprised that anyone remembers that movie. I've only seen it on TV like twice and those were ten years apart.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Alright, I've got a fair bit of movie news for you all.

Yesterday, Guillermo del Toro did an AMA over on Reddit. He gave an update on The Haunted Mansion, which he will be producing. They're on a fourth draft, still trying to crack how to make a film that will capture the feel of the ride, namely in having it be intense but yet with a sense of fun. The Hatbox Ghost (originally planned for the ride, but didn't make the cut) still seems to be the central figure to it, with odds being that del Toro wants Doug Jones for the part. Also, it looks like Hellboy 3 won't be happening. Guillermo did talk about what he planned for it, which would have Hellboy facing his destiny as a key to the Apocalypse and channeling his power to become "the best of the Apocalypse" to take down the big threat.

On a bit of good news, Roberto Orci is no longer involved with scripting the Amazing Spider-Man franchise! Even though I'm still not interested in what Sony is doing with the franchise, this is at least a little less garbage involved in the production.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=120494

PatrThom

PatrThom

They really HAVE run out of ideas.
Since the Don Knotts one was inextricably linked to the Cold War era, I wonder how this one will play out?

Also, will there be singing dolphins?
Also, John Hamm? Well, I suppose so, since John Vernon is dead...

--Patrick

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

They really HAVE run out of ideas.
Since the Don Knotts one was inextricably linked to the Cold War era, I wonder how this one will play out?

Also, will there be singing dolphins?
Also, John Hamm? Well, I suppose so, since John Vernon is dead...

--Patrick
Honestly, the only reason I'm willing to give a chance to this remake is Richard Linklater. I really liked Bernie, so I'm willing to have an open mind and at least see how it shapes up.

Also, it sounds like they're going with an environmentalist angle on the story. My one worry is how the animation will look, considering Linklater's main experience with animation has been rotoscoping in Waking Life and A Scanner Darkly and I wasn't wild about the visual appearance of it in those.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Celt Z

Celt Z

I remember this interview! I still love it.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

They've released a teaser for American Horror Story: Freakshow, the next season of the show.

EDIT: Looks like FX has had the teaser pulled from YouTube. Though they claim that it was fan-made, it seems more likely that it was leaked early and now they're trying to cover it up.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Looks like Marvel and DC aren't the only ones looking at making cinematic universes. Universal Studios is looking at crafting their own, this one using their classic monsters. Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan are spearheading it, with a reboot of The Mummy as the intended starting film.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=120652

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

:facepalm:

bhamv3

bhamv3

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

If it comes together with a new Monster Squad fighting all the monsters, then I'm okay with this.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

If it comes together with a new Monster Squad fighting all the monsters, then I'm okay with this.
But it won't.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

But it won't.
I know. :(

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

And let's be honest, even if it did, it would wuss out on everything that made the original great. You can't do that stuff in kids' movies these days (i.e. have the kids behave like kids).

Dammit, I want to watch that now, but it's too late on a work night. Maybe this weekend I'll pull out the DVD and my wife can see it at last.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Looks like Marvel and DC aren't the only ones looking at making cinematic universes. Universal Studios is looking at crafting their own, this one using their classic monsters. Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan are spearheading it, with a reboot of The Mummy as the intended starting film.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=120652
I'm actually okay with this. It's ether going to be okay or so hilariously awful that I'm still going to be interested.

Jay

Jay

Watched "The Butler" yesterday.... it's a decent movie. Whittaker is great as usual. Felt really weird seeing Oprah in the movie... and Mariah... though she's only in it for a minute.

The period pieces are well done but I was disappointed so much time and effort went into his rebel son as I would have liked more inner workings as per the movie premise on the stuff going on in the White House.

Is it just me, but if one of the Prez's butler's sons was in an organization such as the Black Panthers.... should he still have that job?

Anyways, most of it was loosely (very much so) to an actual man.

All in all, a decent movie but can easily be missed and you'd be OK.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Everybody's getting movie news and last seen movie threads mixed up! The past and the future are colliding! Nothing is real anymore!

:aaah:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Everybody's getting movie news and last seen movie threads mixed up! The past and the future are colliding! Nothing is real anymore!

:aaah:
Mass hysteria! Cats and dogs living together!

Frank

Frank

So apparently the Venom and Sinister Six movies will be separate cinematic universes from Spider-Man but also connected. No God damn wonder the Star Trek movies are so stupid, Jesus Kurtzman.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/alex-kurtzman-talks-sinister-six-venom-and-classic-universal-monsters

Everything is still on the table, right now. Because it's a universe outside of the Spider-Man universe, even though it's connected to it, those movies have to stand on their own. So, we'll see. We'll see how it goes."

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So apparently the Venom and Sinister Six movies will be separate cinematic universes from Spider-Man but also connected. No God damn wonder the Star Trek movies are so stupid, Jesus Kurtzman.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/alex-kurtzman-talks-sinister-six-venom-and-classic-universal-monsters
"We'll see how it goes" AKA "We have no idea what we're doing, but fuck it"

Tress

Tress

Marvel really shocked the other movie studios, I think. Now every movie series has to have a "universe" whether it makes sense or not. They have no idea how to make something as popular as The Avengers, but they're trying to replicate it in the clumsiest way possible.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Marvel really shocked the other movie studios, I think. Now every movie series has to have a "universe" whether it makes sense or not. They have no idea how to make something as popular as The Avengers, but they're trying to replicate it in the clumsiest way possible.
Well, it takes the willingness to build towards it over years instead of just jump right in, the history to draw from (they have this), and application of appropriate talent to each portion.

So, they have one out of three. And I hope every attempt that doesn't want to go through the effort fucking bombs. It took years for Marvel to get to The Avengers, and they weren't sure it would work out, but they cast people right for the roles and gave the projects to people whose attributes and abilities matched the source material, and they were patient. Yeah, each move (except the first Iron Man) has little tidbits of stuff for the others that shows they have a shared universe, but they still work as their own movies.

Marvel didn't just drop it all off at Zack Snyder's doorstep with a list of demands and an unrealistic deadline. Yeah, he can have whatever budget he wants, but sometimes throwing money at a situation doesn't help. Sometimes you need time and talent to make something work, and while in some cases audiences will eat up the most ill-conceived shit (Transformers), you can't guarantee that all the time. I don't know anyone who's big-time looking forward to the Justice League movie, because WB hasn't earned it. There hasn't been a successful Wonder Woman movie, there hasn't been a successful Green Lantern movie, there hasn't been a successful Aquaman movie, etc. You've got an unrelated Batman and a Superman best known for killing people.

Meanwhile, remember 2011, 2012? People were fired up for The Avengers. Yeah, a good chunk of them were in it for Tony Stark, but many who didn't know shit about the comics were still aware of a universe, and had seen at least one of the other movies because those movies attracted people on their own power, not just on the promise of a future cross-over project.

And I know WB doesn't care. I know Sony doesn't give a shit. If they did, there attitude wouldn't be "we'll see how it goes". It's not like they're really trying to establish anything here. It's a money-grab, and they'll move onto the next big thing as soon as they see it while Marvel continues to build their properties, likely until the point where it's so big and multi-fringed that it's no longer sustainable or sensible (like the comics). What eats WB and Sony up inside has nothing to do with quality, it's the worry that they won't make as much money this way as Marvel has. And they probably won't. And they're gonna have to live with it.

I just find it so funny that they can't comprehend what Marvel did to make it work. If you want to make these things, you can't just observe their results. You have to dig in and find out what works about them. RedLetterMedia has a phrase I adore, "you didn't notice, but your brain did." Many movie watchers may not know why The Avengers worked for them so well, but their brains did. That's the disconnect WB is having; they're only hearing the after-movie interview of "It was awesome!" and not understanding why.

Celt Z

Celt Z

There's also the fact that it took Marvel decades of trial and error (emphasis on error) to get a successful movie. DC has been having theatrical success with Superman and Batman since the 40's. They've never really had any competition in this field until the last decade and 1/2. (Or slightly longer if you count Blade, but Blade was a moderate success. I think it placed 27th in the year of it's release.) So when you're the only game in town you don't have to set any standards you don't want to.

There hasn't been a Wonder Woman movie
FFTY (theatrically)

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Stands for: Fucking Fixed That, Yo!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

FFTY (theatrically)
I phrased it that way because just having a theatrical Wonder Woman movie wouldn't be enough. It needs to be done well and be a big deal beyond just being Wonder Woman.

PatrThom

PatrThom

slightly longer if you count Blade, but Blade was a moderate success.
I actually enjoyed the Blade movies. They were entertaining. A bit silly, but entertaining.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

I actually enjoyed the Blade movies. They were entertaining. A bit silly, but entertaining.

--Patrick
I was strictly speaking financially. YMMV when it comes to enjoyment. :)

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

--Patrick
So this is what you were doing that whole time you were not watching everything else? You were watching the Blade movies?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So this is what you were doing that whole time you were not watching everything else? You were watching the Blade movies?
Oh, that's what you've been teasing him about. I wish I'd known; I could've teased him too.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I've only seen them each one time, when some station was showing Wesley Snipes movies back-to-back (I think they showed Enemy of the State The Art of War, too, but I didn't watch that one). I also saw Drop Zone, which is worth watching just for Swoop.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Um... anyone miss Vanilla Ice?

How about now?

Celt Z

Celt Z

We were just listening to "Ninja Rap" in the car on Sunday. I never thought I'd have to describe it as "quaint". :confused:

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Um... anyone miss Vanilla Ice?

How about now?

Espy

Espy

I used to listen to that soundtrack ALL the time.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh my god I'm 9 again

(I had a cassette where I taped this song off the radio.. I wasn't fast enough so it started with the "..who could ask for more?" part)

Espy

Espy

Oh my god I'm 9 again

(I had a cassette where I taped this song off the radio.. I wasn't fast enough so it started with the "..who could ask for more?" part)
I'm sure I borrowed it from a friend and used my AMAZING dual tape cassette boombox to tape it for myself. PIRATES 4 EVA

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I'm sure I borrowed it from a friend and used my AMAZING dual tape cassette boombox to tape it for myself. PIRATES 4 EVA
Would you tape a car?

Espy

Espy

Would you tape a car?
I TAPED A CAT

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I really want to see the new one despite the crappy look of the Turtles themselves, but the trailer literally makes it look exactly like the Transformers movies. Like *exactly*, even thought they're supposed to be Ninja Turtles and not Transformers. All the visual action ticks are exactly the same, and all the overused slo-mo makes me want to slam my head into the wall. I'm desperately hoping that there is proportionally less slo-mo in the actual movie, but you just can't tell with Michael Bay.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Man I don't even care, it looks fun as fuck.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

So, apparently there's the chance that Studio Ghibli may be closing its doors soon.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...rns-less-than-half-of-arrietty-in-1st-weekend

Covar

Covar

I can't say I'd be surprised if it were true. From what I've always understood they have trouble with making successful non-Miazaki films.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I can't say I'd be surprised if it were true. From what I've always understood they have trouble with making successful non-Miazaki films.
I would be more surprised if Disney didn't buy them out and turned them into an art house production studio or to a company that produces their Japan content.

Shawn

Shawn

Not news but a preference question.

I have not seen Captain America: Winter Soldier, and won't be seeing it until it's available for digital download (September I think).
I do have Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and am currently have "Turn Turn Turn" in que, which I believe is the tie-in episode with Winter Soldier.

Should I watch Winter Soldier first before watching the rest of the series? Or does it make a big difference at all?[DOUBLEPOST=1406304680,1406304309][/DOUBLEPOST]
Man I don't even care, it looks fun as fuck.

Looks fun. I mean Michael Bay has gotten me before. But I must admit that the first Transformers is a guilty pleasure of mine. There are definitely some terrible terrible moments in it, and I don't imagine it will be any different for TMNT, but so far it looks like I could walk away with some entertaining memories.

I find it interesting with the scene where Bay is mocking his own idiocy when he wanted the Turtles to be aliens originally.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I have not seen Captain America: Winter Soldier, and won't be seeing it until it's available for digital download (September I think).
I do have Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and am currently have "Turn Turn Turn" in que, which I believe is the tie-in episode with Winter Soldier.

Should I watch Winter Soldier first before watching the rest of the series? Or does it make a big difference at all?
I would wait for Winter Soldier, if you can hold out. If you know the story of the movie and how it ends then yeah, you could just move on into AoS, but if you don't it'll definitely spoil some things.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Should I watch Winter Soldier first before watching the rest of the series? Or does it make a big difference at all?
I don't think it really matter which one you see first, either way you'll be surprised by the shared reveal in one of them (assuming that at this point you still don't know what it is) and have more of an idea what's going on when watching the other. Both of them have their seperate storylines and developments though, so you're not going to ruin one by watching the other.

Shawn

Shawn

I would wait for Winter Soldier, if you can hold out. If you know the story of the movie and how it ends then yeah, you could just move on into AoS, but if you don't it'll definitely spoil some things.
What I heard...
I heard that S.H.I.E.L.D pretty much becomes defunct. Kinda like the Mission Impossible Force in the 4th movie. Also something about Fury dying and coming back. Sadly I'm not immune to spoilers for long.
But does that wrap up the bulk of the surprises?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

As far as I can remember, yeah, those are pretty much the major ending points of the movie.

Shield's downfall is pretty much the major driving plot point of AoS past Cap 2. If you don't know why Shield is dead, though that will definitely get spoiled for you by AoS.

bhamv3

bhamv3

What I heard...
I heard that S.H.I.E.L.D pretty much becomes defunct. Kinda like the Mission Impossible Force in the 4th movie. Also something about Fury dying and coming back. Sadly I'm not immune to spoilers for long.
This is probably a silly question, but do you know who the Winter Soldier is?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I watched the shield episode first, and I don't feel like it spoiled the movie at all. It does reference some things in the movie, but references them in a very subtle way, to the point that I didn't know what specifically they were talking about (though did know enough to follow the plot of the episode) until I watched the movie, and then realized "Ohh... that's what happened."

It's done in a pretty clever way, actually. The events in SHIELD happen away from the events of Winter Soldier, so they don't know what's going on either, but obviously have to deal with something -big- happening.

evilmike

evilmike

What I heard...
If you understand the reason why S.H.I.E.L.D. is almost defunct, then you are ok to watch the episode.

Shawn

Shawn

This is probably a silly question, but do you know who the Winter Soldier is?
Winter Soldier is Bucky from the first movie right?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Winter Soldier is Bucky from the first movie right?
Ok, you've got the biggest spoiler then, though to be honest almost everybody who's remotely familiar with the Captain America universe knew that one. :D

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

It looks like The Last of Us is getting a film adaptation. Sam Raimi is set to produce, with Maisie Williams (Arya Stark in Game of Thrones) in talks to potentially play Ellie.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/25/5937609/the-last-of-us-movie-announced

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hah, I wonder if they even bothered to ask Ellen Page. Probably not.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Hah, I wonder if they even bothered to ask Ellen Page. Probably not.
That would be hilarious.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It looks like The Last of Us is getting a film adaptation. Sam Raimi is set to produce, with Maisie Williams (Arya Stark in Game of Thrones) in talks to potentially play Ellie.

Awesome, so now it'll be a derivative post-apocalyptic zombie MOVIE, too.

Espy

Espy

Awesome.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Awesome, so now it'll be a derivative post-apocalyptic zombie MOVIE, too.
How is it derivative? I mean sure, it's a zombie game, but it's story does take some unique turns, even if only in how it ends.

Espy

Espy

It's a fantastic little story with a great emotional charge. Now, much like any adaption, it will have to be modified to fit a 2 hour movie. Of course, since the actual writer is the same guy as the game... That's a good sign.[DOUBLEPOST=1406349977,1406349960][/DOUBLEPOST]It's a fantastic little story with a great emotional charge. Now, much like any adaption, it will have to be modified to fit a 2 hour movie. Of course, since the actual writer is the same guy as the game... That's a good sign.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't think The Last of Us is a hard story to adapt to film. The game itself is pretty cinematic, so I'm hoping we don't have to worry about the writer shoving in little nods to it having been a video game, like "Game over!" from Street Fighter, or the first person thing from Doom, or the "congratulations, you've beaten the game" style scene near the end of Silent Hill. Just tell the story like you'd tell it in any other movie and it should be the best video game to movie adaptation there is.

Should.

Covar

Covar

Just tell the story like you'd tell it in any other movie and it should be the best video game to movie adaptation there is.

Should.
It will never be able to top Street Fighter for that title.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I'm just waiting for someone to finally do a U.S. release of Takashi Miike's adaptation of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. It was released in Japan back in 2012 and all reports I've read have said that it's a really good film. Not just good in comparison to the usual quality of video game-based movies, but a legitimately good film.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm just waiting for someone to finally do a U.S. release of Takashi Miike's adaptation of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. It was released in Japan back in 2012 and all reports I've read have said that it's a really good film. Not just good in comparison to the usual quality of video game-based movies, but a legitimately good film.
Honestly, my saying that was outdated at this point. We have animated movies coming out based on Persona 3, Sly Cooper, a couple others--they're animated movies, but they're still adaptations from video games, and they don't have to struggle with their source material the way almost every live-action adaptation has done.

In related news, the Warcraft movie has finished filming. The people behind it sound like they want to make this an artistic war film. That's pretty high ambition, but Dawn of the Planet of the Apes kind of just did that between apes and humans, so who's to say a serious war drama can't be done between humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, orcs, trolls, cow-people, zombies, blood elves, aliens, werewolves, goblins, and pandas?

Frank

Frank

Who'da thunk Brett Ratner directing a Hercules movie could go wrong?

http://io9.com/brett-ratners-hercules-is-a-lie-dont-fall-for-it-1610881361

It sounds really fucking bad. Also, that link is like 99% spoilers.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm a little happier now that Lucy took #1 at the box office over this. I may actually see Lucy, in fact. Reviews have been pretty good for it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I wouldn't call Lucy at #1 just yet; the weekend's not half over.

... but yeah, it's probably going to beat Hercules.

Covar

Covar

I can't get over the "humans only use 10% of their brain, what if we used all of it!?" bit. It's such a horrible inaccuracy and writer crutch.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I'll be catching Hercules today and Lucy tomorrow. I'll let you guys know my thoughts on them and how they shape up.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I can't get over the "humans only use 10% of their brain, what if we used all of it!?" bit. It's such a horrible inaccuracy and writer crutch.
I'm sure Hercules will be more scientifically accurate.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

who's to say a serious war drama can't be done between humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, orcs, trolls, cow-people, zombies, blood elves, aliens, werewolves, goblins, and pandas?

Hey, let's be accurate here. The orcs are aliens, too.

Just Me

Just Me

Who'da thunk Brett Ratner directing a Hercules movie could go wrong?

http://io9.com/brett-ratners-hercules-is-a-lie-dont-fall-for-it-1610881361

It sounds really fucking bad. Also, that link is like 99% spoilers.
From your link:
Because while this is a film ostensibly about Hercules, it lacks the mythology, the monsters, the gods, the amazing feats — any of the details that make Hercules unique and interesting.

This sounds so much like my pet peeve about Troy.
Not only did it (for me) lack the big scope and really did not feel like a 10 year siege, why leave out the greek gods? WHY! Hell, even the 1980's Clash of Titans was better than Troy (once again, my own humble opinion,

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wow, a shitty Brett Ratner movie? Who would have thought.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Wow, a shitty Brett Ratner movie? Who would have thought.
I think everyone knew it was going to suck, but I at least was hoping it would be the fun kind of suck.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Honestly I just feel bad for The Rock. He did an AMA on reddit this week and seemed really excited about the movie, and apparently had to work stupid hard to be even more ripped for the part.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Especially since research seems to suggest that the better you get at something, the less of your brain you use.[DOUBLEPOST=1406397260,1406397113][/DOUBLEPOST]
Honestly I just feel bad for The Rock. He did an AMA on reddit this week and seemed really excited about the movie, and apparently had to work stupid hard to be even more ripped for the part.
If nothing else, the movie can be a 1hr40min commercial promoting Dwayne Johnson's availability for some other, better movie.

--Patrick

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

If nothing else, the movie can be a 1hr40min commercial promoting Dwayne Johnson's availability for some other, better movie.

--Patrick
Consider it his promotion, then, for when he does a DC Comics film. He's been heavily teasing that he'll be in one, with it being pretty obvious that he'll be Shazam.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

--Patrick
He's been promoting that for years, sadly.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Consider it his promotion, then, for when he does a DC Comics film. He's been heavily teasing that he'll be in one, with it being pretty obvious that he'll be Shazam.
Or Black Adam.
Unknown.jpeg

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Or Black Adam.
View attachment 15427

--Patrick
... I'm sold

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I've posted my thoughts on Hercules and Lucy over in the "Last Movie You Saw" thread. Check there for more full thoughts on them, but here's the basic summation on them:

Hercules: Not bad, just sort of meh, but really not the Hercules film they were selling in the trailers.

Lucy: A piece of shit that is pretentious and rooted in bad science.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

A video for Godzilla 2 at SDCC confirmed Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah exist in the new Godzilla series.

Fuck. Yes.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Two things here.

Holy shit Frank Miller you're like 58, what the fuck is going on?

Holy shit Rodriguez shut the fuck up for a second and let Miller answer the questions obviously directed at him.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

No, best not to let Miller talk.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

"So Frank, what do you think of -"
"WHORES! WHORES! WHORES!"

Frank

Frank

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

No, best not to let Miller talk.
Yeah, I mean he's totally lost his mind, but still. I'd have released the hounds on Rodriguez. Or the bees. Or the dogs with bees in their mouths so when they bark they shoot bees.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Two movies will be getting one-week theatrical re-releases. Ghostbusters will be returning to theaters for one week starting on August 29th, while Forrest Gump will go to IMAX for one week starting on September 5th.

chris

chris

not the biggest fan of Frank Miller but geez, he looks terrible compared to the last picture i saw. I'm sorry but he looks like the little guy from "The Island of Doctor Moreau".

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Do we have a TV news thread? Anyway, the Raimis and Bruce Campbell are writing an Evil Dead TV series, with the intent of Campbell starring in it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Time for your booster!

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Psst, guys.

Look at the posted date of that article.

Also, if you actually read the article, it's written like something out of MAD. That's not a compliment.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

When Disney was originally thinking of doing a Gargoyles movie a few years back, they were like "No, it's not going to be about the TV show. Not even going to be like it. Leave us alone." I guess their tune changed when something like Guardians of the Galaxy is a smash hit.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'll believe this when I see it.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

*opens article, looks at release date of article*

...Well, played, Crave. Well played.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'll believe this when I see it.
And if they do it, what kind of Gargoyles are we talking? Good Gargoyles? Or season 3 Gargoyles?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

And if they do it, what kind of Gargoyles are we talking? Good Gargoyles? Or season 3 Gargoyles?
What are you talking about? There were only two seasons of Gargoyles.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Was season 3 the weird time travel season?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

You mean the world tour, like the Oberon stuff? Nope, that was all part of Season 2. Season 2 concluded with the three-parter involving The Hunters.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

No, that was certain episodes of season 2.

Season 3 was just ... like an afterthought someone tacked onto the rest of it. It wasn't even by the same people as far as I know. Involved lots of hijinks-type shit.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

You mean the world tour, like the Oberon stuff? Nope, that was all part of Season 2. Season 2 concluded with the three-parter involving The Hunters.
Maybe. Goliath and the police officer (Elizabeth? I can't remember) take that boat to some King Arthur world or something. These are very vague memories so I could be way off-point here.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Maybe. Goliath and the police officer (Elizabeth? I can't remember) take that boat to some King Arthur world or something. These are very vague memories so I could be way off-point here.
No, you're spot on. They go to Avalon, fight a sorcerer dude, then travel the world, meeting other clans of gargoyles. All season 2.

(And for what it's worth, you were very close. It's Elisa, not Elizabeth.)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It's Alicia, so yeah, he's a little off :p.

Seriously, season 3 was just stupid crap. All the cool stuff and character development is seasons 1 and 2.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

What are you talking about? The comics (Gargoyles and Bad Guys) are Season 3. It's kind of like Season 8 and 9 of Buffy.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Hey, the best thing to come out of Season 3, aka The Goliath Chronicles, was he and Elisa going as Beauty and the Beast for a Halloween party.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Hey, the best thing to come out of Season 3, aka The Goliath Chronicles, was he and Elisa going as Beauty and the Beast for a Halloween party.
That was Season 2, actually.[DOUBLEPOST=1406892826,1406892783][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's Alicia, so yeah, he's a little off :p.
/Lex Luthor mode: activated

WROOOOOOOOOONG!

http://gargwiki.net/Elisa_Maza

Jay

Jay

Best thing Disney made, ever. It was soooo good and as a TNG fan it made it all the better.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

and as a TNG fan it made it all the better.
Aw, shucks. Thanks.

Celt Z

Celt Z

That was Season 2, actually.
Really? Because I saw it on Saturday morning as a TGC ep. But then again, I wouldn't be shocked if they replayed it.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Are the Darkhorse comics good? I hear they take place after season 2 and disregard season 3 altogether.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Are the Darkhorse comics good? I hear they take place after season 2 and disregard season 3 altogether.
Yeah, any of the 2006 run is good. I think they got 14 issues of Gargoyles and 4-5 of Bad Guys.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It was, from what I've heard. Though they were through Slave Labor Graphics (SLG), not Dark Horse.

Sorry, I seem to be correcting lotsa people today.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Get the trades though. Some issues didn't get published individual when the license deal went under, so they were published collective in the trades.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

It's official: Studio Ghibli is closing its doors.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=121379

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

...And with its opening weekend, Paramount has announced a sequel to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Damnit.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=105756

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It's official: Studio Ghibli is closing its doors.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=121379
They're taking a break; it's not forever. Just with Hayao Miyazaki seeming to actually be in his retirement (for real this time) they need some time to rethink their strategy so Goro doesn't sink the whole thing.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

They're taking a break; it's not forever. Just with Hayao Miyazaki seeming to actually be in his retirement (for real this time) they need some time to rethink their strategy so Goro doesn't sink the whole thing.
They are also entertaining offers to be bought out, as it would give them a strong backer to finance films and relieve the profit margin they need to keep going. I am honestly surprised that Disney hasn't scooped them up yet to head up their Japanese local content. About the only Japan specific show I can think of that Disney didn't flop on was Stitch! and that failed outside of Japan due to poor access.

Seriously... why isn't there a Japan produced Kingdom Hearts series yet? They easily have 5-6 seasons of content at this point and have a coherent version of the story would do wonders for latecomers.

Jay

Jay

I didn't even knwo TMNT was a movie. I checked the trailer out real quick and... HOLY SHIT... ROIDS.

And.... dark haired April?

WHAT IS GOING ON?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Seriously... why isn't there a Japan produced Kingdom Hearts series yet? They easily have 5-6 seasons of content at this point and have a coherent version of the story would do wonders for latecomers.
They had plotted out the first season, but then decided they wanted to continue the story through the games.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I didn't even knwo TMNT was a movie. I checked the trailer out real quick and... HOLY SHIT... ROIDS.

And.... dark haired April?

WHAT IS GOING ON?
Michael Bay as producer. That is what is going on.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

They had plotted out the first season, but then decided they wanted to continue the story through the games.
Except that's bullshit because the only way to get the whole story from the games is to own AT LEAST 3 different systems. These days you can get by with a PS3, a Vita, and a 3DS... but if you wanted to do it as each game came out, you'd have needed..

- a japanese cellphone
- a GBA
- a PS2
- a DS
- a 3DS
- a PSP

It just makes way more sense to do a show at this point to cover the whole story up till now. It's not like it would interfere with the HD remakes ether because it would be at least a season before they got to the Sora stuff because they have to do Birth By Sleep first... unless they want to do that as a special OVA or something.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Yessss, more Ninja Turtles

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Except that's bullshit because the only way to get the whole story from the games is to own AT LEAST 3 different systems. These days you can get by with a PS3, a Vita, and a 3DS... but if you wanted to do it as each game came out, you'd have needed..

- a japanese cellphone
- a GBA
- a PS2
- a DS
- a 3DS
- a PSP

It just makes way more sense to do a show at this point to cover the whole story up till now. It's not like it would interfere with the HD remakes ether because it would be at least a season before they got to the Sora stuff because they have to do Birth By Sleep first... unless they want to do that as a special OVA or something.
I think that was the idea. Squenix/Disney got releases across multiple systems for one series, thus making each game an exclusive for that system (until now). Yeah, it gave consumers the middle finger, but Squenix/Disney had their bases covered in every possible way except Xbox.

That said, there was a manga, but I don't know if it covered anything besides KH1, KH2, and Chain of Memories. I imagine there must be a 356 Days/2 by now considering how popular Roxas and Axel are.

GasBandit

GasBandit

J. Michael Straczynski announced that he is working on a feature-length Babylon 5 reboot film, slated for 2016.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Looks like we now know what may be one of Marvel's upcoming projects: The Inhumans.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=121773

Gryfter

Gryfter

Looks like we now know what may be one of Marvel's upcoming projects: The Inhumans.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=121773
Hmmm, Vin as Blackbolt? Voice for Groot, appearance for BB. Just a thought.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hmmm, Vin as Blackbolt? Voice for Groot, appearance for BB. Just a thought.
The same actor for two different Marvel franchises? It'll never work.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The same actor for two different Marvel franchises? It'll never work.
To be fair, The Fantastic Four wasn't Marvel. It was Fox.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yeah, considering Captain America, no one gives a shit about Fantastic Four.

What really throws me for a loop is Lucas Lee from Scott Pilgrim.

Celt Z

Celt Z

When we were watching Snowpiecer, I said it was a mini Scott Pilgrim reunion since it had Lucas Lee and Kim Pines.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, considering Captain America, no one gives a shit about Fantastic Four.

Even Marvel doesn't care about the FF, they're ending the new book at issue six.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Oh yeah, a new Power Rangers movie. With everybody's favorite Roberto Orci executive producing. Writers from Thor and X-Men First Class.

http://www.avclub.com/article/new-power-rangers-movie-has-release-date-208136

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Oh yeah, a new Power Rangers movie. With everybody's favorite Roberto Orci executive producing. Writers from Thor and X-Men First Class.

http://www.avclub.com/article/new-power-rangers-movie-has-release-date-208136
Apparently they are looking at a Summer 2016 release. I'm a big Ranger fan, but I kind of wish they were trying something... original. Like an all new team with a new theme, divorced from the original Super Sentai footage. Instead we're getting a remake.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Are they bringing back Amy Jo Johnson?

PatrThom

PatrThom

J. Michael Straczynski announced that he is working on a feature-length Babylon 5 reboot film, slated for 2016.
Saw that, am cautiously interested. So many of the cast are dead/noticeably changed now, I wonder how it will unfold.

--Patrick

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Saw that, am cautiously interested. So many of the cast are dead/noticeably changed now, I wonder how it will unfold.
Maybe JMS will copy how the Star Trek remakes did it, while muttering under his breath the whole time, "Let's see how THEY like it!"

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Admittedly, this isn't national movie news, but for those folks in North Carolina, the IMAX Theatre at Marbles will be having MAXrewind, an event where they'll be showing movies from the '80s and '90s throughout September and October. Here's the schedule:

Forrest Gump: Sep. 5-Sep. 18
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids: Sep. 19-Sep. 25
Back to the Future: Sep. 25-Oct. 9
Gremlins: Oct. 10-Oct. 23
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial: Oct. 24-Nov. 5

Covar

Covar

Hey that's me!

I should go check out some of those.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

There's a new addition to the MAXrewind event at the IMAX Theatre at Marbles.

The Princess Bride: Sep. 19-Oct. 2

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

On September 28th and October 1st, TCM will be presenting a showing in select theaters of Gone With the Wind, in honor of the film's 75th anniversary.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Oh, good...maybe I can finally get a chance to see it.

--Patrick

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

So, yeah. Fox just announced a release date for a Deadpool film: February 12th, 2016.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=123084

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Hopefully they'll follow the example set by that "leaked" test reel.

fade

fade

Hopefully they'll follow the example set by that "leaked" test reel.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I didn't even know where else to post this. Fox & Friends discuss the new Popeye, the new Thor, and Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman.

"Hilarity" ensues. Warning: You mean want to wear padding on your hands and/or forehead for all the forehead smacking on this one.

Some of my personal favourite quotes:
-"Are they wussifying Popeye?"

-"Nothing is scarier to a modern liberal than tobacco. If Popeye were driving around giving the morning after pill to fourth graders, that would be totally fine. But smoking a pipe, a symbol of freedom and masculinity in America itself, the reason this country exists, tobacco, that’s like, ‘Oh, that’s outrageous. That’s a major sin."

-Responding to them not trying to sexualize these women too much: "That’s a good Islamic point. We should cover them. We should cover the women because, otherwise, it just incites the men. It’s immodest as we say in the Sharia."

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

-"Are they wussifying Popeye?"

Dei

Dei

image-928302180.jpg

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

GasBandit

GasBandit

She says, as Tuxedo Mask hauls her bacon out of the fire AGAIN.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

She says, as Tuxedo Mask hauls her bacon out of the fire AGAIN.
Did someone call for Tuxedolive Oyl?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So The Drop is pretty great. It's an incredibly tense and personal small scale crime story. I love movies with Tom Hardy just for whatever bizzare ass accent he's going to affect in them and this one is no different. Everyone is great in it though.

2 thumbs.
Um...
https://www.halforums.com/threads/talk-about-the-last-movie-you-saw-2-electric-threadaloo.17139/

Frank

Frank

That's so weird, I could have sworn I posted that in that thread.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

NBC has released another picture to promote their live performance of Peter Pan, this one featuring Christopher Walken as Captain Hook.

figmentPez

figmentPez

NBC has released another picture to promote their live performance of Peter Pan, this one featuring Christopher Walken as Captain Hook.
Since that doesn't allow hotlinking:
Peter-Pan-Live.jpg

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

...Goddamnit. The Angry Birds movie is still happening.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=123574

The main stars as Jason Sudeikis as the red Angry Bird, Josh Gad as the yellow triangle Angry Bird, and Danny McBride as the bomb Angry Bird. Other cast members include Bill Hader, Maya Rudolph, and Peter Dinklage.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

why does anyone care about the sanctity of an iphone game

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

It's not the sanctity of an iPhone game, it's the prospect of a cheap cash-in film on something that has gotten past the initial wave of hype and now feels past due. In short, something manufactured solely to get people's money without any real quality to it.

That said, I'll wait and see how things turn out. Good films have been made on odd sources of inspiration and if this turns out well, I'll give it a chance.

GasBandit

GasBandit

why does anyone care about the sanctity of an iphone game
Is that really what they're mad about? That's not what I interpreted at all.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's creator doesn't. He jumped ship from the company awhile back, cashing out to start his next project. His comment was basically that he didn't believe the game would have the lasting impact that others thought it would, so he was going to do something else instead.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I myself am waiting for the epic 5 part Candy Crush Saga.

PatrThom

PatrThom

(I take no blame for potatocam quality)

--Patrick

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I myself am waiting for the epic 5 part Candy Crush Saga.
Good sir, please throw down some titles of this epic.

Here is my submission:

I. Candy Crush: The Crushing Game
II. CC: Citizen Crush
III. CC: Close Encounters of the Third Crush
IV. CC: A Crushwork Orange
V. CC: The Crush of Monte Cristo

Terrik

Terrik

CC: Crush, actually

CC: Too sweet Too sour: sweeter and sourerer

CC: Battle of the five flavours

CC: Life of Crush

CC: Crushing Hunger (Games)

CC V: Nougat: The final frontier.

bhamv3

bhamv3

That said, I'll wait and see how things turn out. Good films have been made on odd sources of inspiration and if this turns out well, I'll give it a chance.
QFT. Every time I think "huh, how could they make a movie based on that?" I remind myself that Pirates of the Caribbean was based on a Disney ride.

(Yes, I know PotC doesn't exactly count as awesome cinema, still like the movies though)

(Wow, I think this was the first time I used "QFT" since, like, 2002)

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

QFT. Every time I think "huh, how could they make a movie based on that?" I remind myself that Pirates of the Caribbean was based on a Disney ride.

(Yes, I know PotC doesn't exactly count as awesome cinema, still like the movies though)

(Wow, I think this was the first time I used "QFT" since, like, 2002)
Yeah, but for every PotC (at least the first one or two) there's a hundred Battleships

GasBandit

GasBandit

Robert Downey Jr gave an interview on the future of Iron Man, suggesting he would do Iron Man 4 if Mel Gibson directed.

Kevin Smith will be making Clerks 3, finally securing financing for the film after The Weinstein Company passed on the film.

Netflix’s first movie will be a sequel to Ang Lee’s Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which will also head to theaters instead of just being on VOD.

Super Troopers 2 with mustaches.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Robert Downey Jr gave an interview on the future of Iron Man, suggesting he would do Iron Man 4 if Mel Gibson directed.

Kevin Smith will be making Clerks 3, finally securing financing for the film after The Weinstein Company passed on the film.

Netflix’s first movie will be a sequel to Ang Lee’s Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which will also head to theaters instead of just being on VOD.

Super Troopers 2 with mustaches.
There was a time I'd be excited for 3 out of 4 of these reports, but now my across-the-board reaction is "...Why?"

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

There was a time I'd be excited for 3 out of 4 of these reports, but now my across-the-board reaction is "...Why?"
I'm inclined to think that Robert Downey Jr. is being a bit playful when he names Mel Gibson to direct another Iron Man film.

Besides, the big rumor I've been hearing now is that Avenegrs 3 may be divided into two films...sort of. The rumor is that Avengers 3 might have more of an Iron Man focus and feature Phase 3 heroes, while the other major Avengers members would sit it out until a bigger film that would bring together all of the Marvel stuff (presumably an Infinity Gauntlet film, considering the scope of Thanos as a threat to the Marvel Universe).

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I still do not understand why Clerks 3 needs to exist, I thought Clerks 2 was a nice closure point for the main Askewniverse. Unless they get Alec Baldwin to reprise his role as Leonardo Leonardo, I'ma be on the fence.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I still do not understand why Clerks 3 needs to exist, I thought Clerks 2 was a nice closure point for the main Askewniverse. Unless they get Alec Baldwin to reprise his role as Leonardo Leonardo, I'ma be on the fence.
The current joke is that it's going to be a meta-movie where Dante and Randell make a movie about their lives n the Quik-Stop, which could be entertaining. The other option is that they'll do a movie about making podcasts, which would be super lame.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

The current joke is that it's going to be a meta-movie where Dante and Randell make a movie about their lives n the Quik-Stop, which could be entertaining. The other option is that they'll do a movie about making podcasts, which would be super lame.
Oh so like the one that was gonna be based on the animated series that never existed no matter how many people complain!

And the second idea would work better as a short film, and even better if it was Jay and Silent Bob.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Unless they get Alec Baldwin to reprise his role as Leonardo Leonardo, I'ma be on the fence.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Jeez, Sony, is it not enough to try to copy Marvel's idea of a shared movie universe and apply it to Spider-Man? Now, you're going to try to make a shared movie universe of Robin Hood?

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=123720

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Jeez, Sony, is it not enough to try to copy Marvel's idea of a shared movie universe and apply it to Spider-Man? Now, you're going to try to make a shared movie universe of Robin Hood?

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=123720
Historically, this has already happened. Ivanhoe is basically a story about a Saxon Noble and his family, with Robin Hood basically playing Captain Jack Sparrow as far as the plot is concerned.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Historically, this has already happened. Ivanhoe is basically a story about a Saxon Noble and his family, with Robin Hood basically playing Captain Jack Sparrow as far as the plot is concerned.
I see their attempt crashing and burning though. Robin Hood done in the tone of The Fast and the Furious, and give each guy his own spin-off movie? This sounds like a really stupid plan.

Also funny how each Avengers-wannabe is essentially doing Avengers first and the other films after, ignoring how Marvel did it right and made people care enough that The Avengers was a big deal. Imagine if The Avengers came out first. It would've bombed because most people wouldn't have cared.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Also funny how each Avengers-wannabe is essentially doing Avengers first and the other films after, ignoring how Marvel did it right and made people care enough that The Avengers was a big deal. Imagine if The Avengers came out first. It would've bombed because most people wouldn't have cared.
You want to do this right? Do it about the Knights of the Round Table. First movie is Arthur becoming King, with Morgana masterminding it. Second movie is Lancelot and Galahad, with Arthur showing up to invite them to be his knights at the end. Third movie is Gwain and the Green Knight, with him eventually coming to Camelot and telling everyone about this Grail thing he's heard about. Knights of the Round is then all these guys trying to stop Morgana from getting the Grail.

Sure, it's playing fast and lose with Arthurian myth but at least it would WORK.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Robert Downey, Jr. did a pretty great AMA on reddit today.

Of note, though, are these answers:

Yes, we have a Sherlock 3 in development. We want it to be the best of the series, so that's a pretty tall order. Also, Perry Mason is a property I'm looking forward to developing further, going back to the 1931 book series...similarly to what we did with the first 2 Sherlocks, mining the original material for things that are "new."
and

It was an offhanded remark to a journalist and friend. I have other projects in mind for Mel and I - sooner than later the Marvel Roster will be made public and all questions will be answered.
I'm curious what he's talking about in that second quote especially (on both the Gibson project and Marvel). Also, his AMA is worth a read, he comes off as a really cool guy.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

He also confirmed Iron Man 4, apparently.

Frank

Frank

You know what...Mel Gibson is a HUUUUUGE asshole....but I love him in movies. Especially when he gets to be villainous.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Robert Downey, Jr. did a pretty great AMA on reddit today.

Of note, though, are these answers:

and

I'm curious what he's talking about in that second quote especially (on both the Gibson project and Marvel). Also, his AMA is worth a read, he comes off as a really cool guy.
RDJ told a reporter flippantly he would do IM4 if Gibson would direct.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

RDJ told a reporter flippantly he would do IM4 if Gibson would direct.
Oh I know, I meant in regards to what he actually has in mind for them to work on.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Top comment: "They better be beast. I wanna see how they handle 27 flights of stairs with proton packs on their backs."

Personally, I'm more looking forward to one of them creepily hitting on/stalking a male cellist.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Personally, I'm more looking forward to one of them creepily hitting on/stalking a male cellist.
...or administering Zener card tests.

--Patrick

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Not sure if anyone had heard, but someone asked Bill Murray his thoughts on the female Ghostbusters reboot, and he told them his opinion on who should make up the team: Kristen Wiig, Emma Stone, Linda Cardellini, and Melissa McCarthy.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Not sure if anyone had heard, but someone asked Bill Murray his thoughts on the female Ghostbusters reboot, and he told them his opinion on who should make up the team: Kristen Wiig, Emma Stone, Linda Cardellini, and Melissa McCarthy.
Wonder which one he had in mind to play the rule 63'd Dr. Venkman.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Top comment: "They better be beast. I wanna see how they handle 27 flights of stairs with proton packs on their backs.".
Considering the OG's didn't do too well (and weren't in great shape) I'd imagine the results would be about the same. But then again, given the jumps in technology, I wouldn't be surprised if the new proton packs were smaller and more efficient. I doubt Egon (...sniffle) would have allowed them to stay so unwieldy.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Considering the OG's didn't do too well (and weren't in great shape) I'd imagine the results would be about the same. But then again, given the jumps in technology, I wouldn't be surprised if the new proton packs were smaller and more efficient. I doubt Egon (...sniffle) would have allowed them to stay so unwieldy.
Well, I guess it all depends on how much shielding you want on your unlicensed nuclear accelerator.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Well, I guess it all depends on how much shielding you want on your unlicensed nuclear accelerator.
This. A large portion of the backpack is probably lead lining to keep you from getting cancer.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Look, if Scotty can come up with a formula to make thinner whale-tank glass that's just as efficient as it's thicker counter-part, I'm sure Egon can come up with a more ergonomic lead-protection after 30 years.
Because finding a more efficient solution is far less believable than catching ghosts with lasers. :p

figmentPez

figmentPez

Look, if Scotty can come up with a formula to make thinner whale-tank glass that's just as efficient as it's thicker counter-part, I'm sure Egon can come up with a more ergonomic lead-protection after 30 years.
Because finding a more efficient solution is far less believable than catching ghosts with lasers. :p
Reboot, these will still be first gen models. I'd like to see the stair gag again, as long as there's no jokes about how weak women are.

I choose to be cautiously optimistic, but this movie could go wrong, or right, in so many ways:
Good: Gillmore Girls with proton packs
Meh: Bride's Maids with crappy GGI ghosts that don't look as good as the original effects
Bad: Sucker Punch with reality warping ghosts to get the protagonists into skimpier outfits, and an explicit ghost sex scene that gets cut until the unrated version on Blu-ray.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Scotty didn't come up with Transparent Aluminum, he just told them how to make something that was common in the 24th century.

And they weren't lasers they were proton streams! Jeez, lady! Lasers don't bend and wiggle!

CeltZ--;

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I hope they still have the gorilla on the team!
FilmationGhostbusters.jpg

Celt Z

Celt Z

Gillmore Girls with proton packs
...I would watch the sh*t out of that.

"Who ya gonna call?" ".... Al's Pancake World. Do they deliver?"

Also:
I'd like to see the stair gag again, as long as there's no jokes about how weak women are.
^All the Brofists on this.[DOUBLEPOST=1412808678,1412808379][/DOUBLEPOST]
Scotty didn't come up with Transparent Aluminum, he just told them how to make something that was common in the 24th century.

And they weren't lasers they were proton streams! Jeez, lady! Lasers don't bend and wiggle!

CeltZ--;
Yes, I know he didn't invent the formula; I meant he had knowledge of it and that it existed in their make-believe world. I'm not handing in my Trekkie card yet.

Wouldn't a proton stream be a form of laser technology?...oh, but the wiggling. Yes, you're right, I'm humbly sorry. I shall go flog myself in the corner. :(

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I don't like McCarthy, as she basically plays the angry and sad fat girl in everything, but otherwise oh God yes.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I don't like McCarthy, as she basically plays the angry and sad fat girl in everything, but otherwise oh God yes.
On Gilmore Girls, she was anything but that, and she was pretty funny. I think she could do it or even pull off a "Ray Stanz"-like character.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yes, I know he didn't invent the formula; I meant he had knowledge of it and that it existed in their make-believe world. I'm not handing in my Trekkie card yet.
It may be semantics, but if I went back in time 400 years and taught somebody how to make penicillin, you couldn't really say I'd "come up" with it. But as was pointed out by Pez, it's all moot as this is not a sequel but an alternate-universe reboot, so it's not that Egon would make improvements over 30 years but rather universe 63's Dr. Spengler making it new for the first time 30 years later than universe 84's Dr. Spengler did.

So it'll probably have a rectangular white plastic case with curved corners at least.

Wouldn't a proton stream be a form of laser technology?...oh, but the wiggling. Yes, you're right, I'm humbly sorry. I shall go flog myself in the corner. :(
I think you might be confusing protons with photons.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

On Gilmore Girls, she was anything but that, and she was pretty funny. I think she could do it or even pull off a "Ray Stanz"-like character.
Never watched it, but in everything from SNL hosting to her current movies, she's Chris Farely without the talent.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I think you might be confusing protons with photons.
Probably. Science past Biology was not my strong suit. I sucked at Chem.

Frank

Frank

Man, in Bridesmaids she was anything but that too. She was hilarious there.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Man, in Bridesmaids she was anything but that too. She was hilarious there.
That's the problem, though. She's the same character in everything. Heat, Bridesmaids, Identity Theft, etc.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'd say Melissa McCarthy is Chris Farley, full stop. She has talent, but at current it's kinda wasted because she's typecast in super safe comedies that follow basic formula to make mucho dinero.

Which, I suppose there's nothing wrong with that. If that's her comfort zone and she's making bank with it, more power to her. But I do like it when she's in something that allows her to act, and I'd love to see her move beyond the formula.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Now is the all ladies Ghostbusters a reboot reboot, or a sequel reboot? Weirdly enough I'd like a reboot reboot, cos I've seen the other ghostbusters morning Egon in comic form, I don't think I'd be able to see it in live action.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Now is the all ladies Ghostbusters a reboot reboot, or a sequel reboot? Weirdly enough I'd like a reboot reboot, cos I've seen the other ghostbusters morning Egon in comic form, I don't think I'd be able to see it in live action.
Last I heard, they were looking at doing a reboot that would have been a "soft" reboot, continuing after the events of the previous films but ultimately standing on its own.

Of course, Harold Ramis was still alive when they were talking about that idea, so who knows what they'll do now?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Last I heard, they were looking at doing a reboot that would have been a "soft" reboot, continuing after the events of the previous films but ultimately standing on its own.

Of course, Harold Ramis was still alive when they were talking about that idea, so who knows what they'll do now?
Calling it now, one of the former Ghostbusters will be a somber mentor to the new ones AND there will be a sad cemetery scene.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Calling it now, one of the former Ghostbusters will be a somber mentor to the new ones AND there will be a sad cemetery scene.
No, he'll come back as a ghost, and they'll have to... bust him.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

No, he's going to be the president of the company and he's basically going to be extorting them with made-up fees.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The one fancasting I would love if she was older would be Aubrey Plaza as the Egon equivalent. She knows how to deliver deadpan humor.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

The one fancasting I would love if she was older would be Aubrey Plaza as the Egon equivalent. She knows how to deliver deadpan humor.
Eh, she's 30, and Murray/Aykroyd were early 30s.

also what about Zoe Saldana, Kerry Washington, Paula Patton, and Aisha Tyler?

Frank

Frank

Aisha Tyler is a terrible actress but I see what you're getting at.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Aisha Tyler is a terrible actress but I see what you're getting at.
I admittedly only know her from stand-up and Archer

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Eh, she's 30, and Murray/Aykroyd were early 30s.

also what about Zoe Saldana, Kerry Washington, Paula Patton, and Aisha Tyler?
What are you talking about? Didn't you see the original? One cast slot is reserved for Ernie Hudson.

Perhaps they could manage more than one cast member's worth of diversity, considering it's been ... 30 years? Because as I think about it, it's not just the Ghostbusters team. Every other speaking part is a white. Even the bit parts.

I'll also chime in with whoever said "don't do the stairs gag with it being women are weak" and extend it to the rest of the movie.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Zoe Saldana's in enough nerd movies. Let's keep her out of at least one. And I say that as a fan of hers.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I wouldn't mind seeing Aubrey Plaza or Aisha Tyler (I don't think her acting is that bad)as part of the main line up. I'd like to Rhetta (Parks and Rec) in the "Janine" role. She can take small lines and turn them into scene-stealers, so I think she'd make great supporting cast.

grub

grub

Lucy Liu if they wanted more diversity. Or Karen Gillian for the ginger-loving crowd.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Lucy Liu if they wanted more diversity. Or Karen Gillian for the ginger-loving crowd.

PatrThom

PatrThom

And ... then they kiss?
Hey, Patrick Swayze already showed how it could be done.

--Patrick

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I saw a great suggestion on Twitter saying Charlie Day should play the Sigourney Weaver role

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Robert Downey, Jr. has signed on for Captain America 3...which will also launch elements of Civil War.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=123974

bhamv3

bhamv3

Robert Downey, Jr. has signed on for Captain America 3...which will also launch elements of Civil War.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=123974
Huh... and then Planet Hulk afterwards?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Fucking called it that Civil War was coming to the movies.

Covar

Covar

I find it amusing that after the events of Winter Soldier someone would think putting shield in charge of anything is a good idea. If I lived in that world I wouldn't trust them with a traffic crossing let alone super heroes. Of course in the Marvel cinematic universe none of the heroes have secret identities which really makes the whole thing about civil war kind of pointless.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I find it amusing that after the events of Winter Soldier someone would think putting shield in charge of anything is a good idea. If I lived in that world I wouldn't trust them with a traffic crossing let alone super heroes. Of course in the Marvel cinematic universe none of the heroes have secret identities which really makes the whole thing about civil war kind of pointless.
Well, they could make it more about the issue of either having super heroes as government agents or allowing them to work on their own grounds. I think they might go that route, just guessing considering that from what I've read about Avengers: Age of Ultron, Tony's funding the Avengers himself and he is also the one who invents Ultron. I'm willing to bet that folks will take Tony to task over that and whatever Ultron does.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

They'd probably make it less about the secret identities and more about just having them registered.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Captain America 3, over in 5 minuets.

Covar

Covar

Pretty much.

I find it pretty hilarious just how inconsistent Shield is in the MCU, in the Winter Soldiers case within the same movie. It's implied to be brand new in Iron Man one ("We're still working on the name"), yet has been around since just after WWII. It's a top, top secret shadow organization whose existence is unknown to the general public (See Stark, Tony, everyone in the Thor movies), with a massively large, very public headquarters in Washington DC, complete with CIA/NSA-esue floor seal, and lobby statues. The biggest kicker has to be the international oversight council, that approves it's projects and budgets. What's wrong with Shield being a UN/NATO organization you might ask. Nothing, if we didn't have that scene at the end of Winter Soldier where Natasha is up in front of a US Congressional Hearing for destroying the United States's intelligence network.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Maybe they'll tweak it so that it becomes the Superhuman Conscription Act instead of registration act.

Covar

Covar

I see them changing a lot, just to avoid having their suddenly extremely popular Iron Man once again become the unusable Bush Hitler stand in.

Oh Civil War, terrible times. Terrible times.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Hawkeye: I'm here to register!

Registers: Oh... Hawkeye, you don't have to register, this is only for... err... this is awkward.

Hawkeye: T.T

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I see them changing a lot, just to avoid having their suddenly extremely popular Iron Man once again become the unusable Bush Hitler stand in.

Oh Civil War, terrible times. Terrible times.
Oh my Satan thank you for saying it first, they BUTCHERED his character in that story line. Also for some reason Spider-man lost his brain cells, because he decided to reveal his secret identity- BEFORE getting Aunt May proper protection. That. Made. No. SENSE!

Covar

Covar

Oh my Satan thank you for saying it first, they BUTCHERED his character in that story line. Also for some reason Spider-man lost his brain cells, because he decided to reveal his secret identity- BEFORE getting Aunt May proper protection. That. Made. No. SENSE!
Remember when Reed Richards told Peter that siding with Nazis is the right thing to do?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Remember when Reed Richards told Peter that siding with Nazis is the right thing to do?
UGH, nothing more annoying than when superheroes do clearly evil things...and then later they just apologize or say it was brainwashing and its supposedly all good.

Gryfter

Gryfter

UGH, nothing more annoying than when superheroes do clearly evil things...and then later they just apologize or say it was brainwashing and its supposedly all good.
Or... you know.... make a deal with the proverbial devil so no one remembers you did it.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Or... you know.... make a deal with the proverbial devil so no one remembers you did it.
Believe it or not, that was not the original plan on how to break up Peter and MJ.

Marvel's first idea was to have Peter Parker involved in a time travel plot with Dr. Strange. While back in time, Peter would have taken advantage of this moment and helped Harry Osborn get past his drug addiction with proper help. Without Harry's suffering, Norman would not have had the extra pressure that would have pushed his Green Goblin persona into returning. Without Green Goblin returning, he does not throw Gwen Stacy off the bridge and Spider-Man wouldn't have accidentally killed her. Without Gwen's death, Peter and MJ would not have gotten together. Instead, Peter and Gwen would have stayed together.

While the deal with the devil is friggin' stupid, there's something to be said for the awfulness of them nearly purposefully retconning away the death of Gwen Stacy, one of the most pivotal moments of Spider-Man.

mikerc

mikerc

Believe it or not, that was not the original plan on how to break up Peter and MJ.

Marvel's first idea was to have Peter Parker involved in a time travel plot with Dr. Strange. While back in time, Peter would have taken advantage of this moment and helped Harry Osborn get past his drug addiction with proper help. Without Harry's suffering, Norman would not have had the extra pressure that would have pushed his Green Goblin persona into returning. Without Green Goblin returning, he does not throw Gwen Stacy off the bridge and Spider-Man wouldn't have accidentally killed her. Without Gwen's death, Peter and MJ would not have gotten together. Instead, Peter and Gwen would have stayed together.

While the deal with the devil is friggin' stupid, there's something to be said for the awfulness of them nearly purposefully retconning away the death of Gwen Stacy, one of the most pivotal moments of Spider-Man.
Actually, I wouldn't have minded that storyline. It certainly doesn't sound any worse than "Bucky Barnes comes back from the dead" did before Ed Brubaker started writing Cap. Plus the fallout of Peter trying to reconnect with Gwen while dealing with his feelings for MJ could be interesting.

And then there's Norman. A non-villainous Norman. Who presumably still has the Green Goblin persona buried inside him ready to break out at any time. If treated more like Kid Loki than Joseph the Magneto Clone that's got some potentially interesting story-lines right there.

You can't tell me that sounds worse than the dreck we got with OMD.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Actually, I wouldn't have minded that storyline. It certainly doesn't sound any worse than "Bucky Barnes comes back from the dead" did before Ed Brubaker started writing Cap. Plus the fallout of Peter trying to reconnect with Gwen while dealing with his feelings for MJ could be interesting.

And then there's Norman. A non-villainous Norman. Who presumably still has the Green Goblin persona buried inside him ready to break out at any time. If treated more like Kid Loki than Joseph the Magneto Clone that's got some potentially interesting story-lines right there.

You can't tell me that sounds worse than the dreck we got with OMD.
...Honestly, you are right. Part of me balks at the idea of retconning such a pivotal moment, but part of me also reasons that it wouldn't be as stupid as MAKING A DEAL WITH THE DEVIL!

Covar

Covar

Nothing wrong with making a deal with the devil guys. It's not like he damned his soul for all eternity or anything by it.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Of course its not NEAR-ly as convoluted as rebooting the entire DC universe to make a good chunk of the married characters single. Because that's what was wrong with DC comics, stable relationships!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So now the rumor is that Civil War is not happening in the MCU.

I don't know what to believe anymore!

Frank

Frank

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/10/22/rob-riggle-cast-as-frank-west-in-dead-rising-watchtower/

So, not only is there going to be a Dead Rising movie, but Rob Riggle is playing Frank West. That bit of news has me kind of excited. Rob Riggle is one of the funniest men alive.

Just in case you don't know who he is by name:

PatrThom

PatrThom

...we have this broken image to...what, exactly?

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

...we have this broken image to...what, exactly?

--Patrick
Damn it!

GasBandit

GasBandit

I don't know the actor, but I'm interested in a Dead Rising movie.

Also I read it wrong the first time and thought it said Red Dead Redemption and I thought, "Eh, that probably won't be done well." Heh.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hmm. I still have no idea who he is.
(heads over to his IMDb page to see what he's been in)
...Huh. Haven't seen anything of his.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I can't recall seeing him in anything - even movies I've watched. But he certainly looks the part, so yeah, game on.

Also, I didn't even know they were making a Dead Rising game. And even though I'm sick of the zombie genre, that's something I'd be willing to watch. Is that weird? Aside from Walking Dead, I've been completely turned off the genre.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

There has actually already been a Dead Rising movie... which was made by Kenji Inafune, is set in Japan, and is absolutely awful.

Celt Z

Celt Z

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/10/22/rob-riggle-cast-as-frank-west-in-dead-rising-watchtower/

So, not only is there going to be a Dead Rising movie, but Rob Riggle is playing Frank West. That bit of news has me kind of excited. Rob Riggle is one of the funniest men alive.

If it helps, Frank, while I'm not that familiar with Frank West, I am familiar with Rob Riggle, and he can be pretty funny. I liked him on The Daily Show and have a soft spot for the Prep & Landing series.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

For what it's worth, Rob Riggle has that doughy, washed-up, middle aged look that Frank SHOULD have so he's got the look down down pat. He's also an actual comedian, so this COULD be funny. This doesn't seem like a terrible choice at all.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

FOX is bringing a live action Archie comics TV show to its schedule.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I can't wait for the Gotham crossover.

I'm calling it now, Jughead is the Joker.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

They are, indeed. Apparently, part of the pitch for this series (which will be called Riverdale) is that it will explore the weirdness and darkness beneath the wholesome appearance of Riverdale. Also, it will feature other Archie Comics characters, like Josie and the Pussycats.

The guy involved with the writing for this show is the same fellow who did the Afterlife with Archie comic book.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

They are, indeed. Apparently, part of the pitch for this series (which will be called Riverdale) is that it will explore the weirdness and darkness beneath the wholesome appearance of Riverdale. Also, it will feature other Archie Comics characters, like Josie and the Pussycats.

The guy involved with the writing for this show is the same fellow who did the Afterlife with Archie comic book.
This... might be fun for awhile. They should probably just call it Riverdale and make Sabrina a regular.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm legitimately surprised it took this long, honestly. The Archie property has always been prime material for a teenage drama.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

This... might be fun for awhile. They should probably just call it Riverdale and make Sabrina a regular.
If it's going to have anything to do with Afterlife, Sabrina would be a major part of it as she's the reason the whole thing goes down.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Damn, Netflix, what are you trying to do to me? I went on their website and there's a bunch of stuff--Arachnaphobia, Batman, the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Stand By Me (which I've wanted to see, but hadn't yet), The Rocketeer. I was considering doing things tonight, but once I finish the laundry, I've got some movies to fucking watch.

Also, Sabotage on the 18th. I don't know why I'm excited to see that. It sounds more like it would've fit Clint Eastwood 20 years ago, but instead it's Arnold Schwarzenegger. Whatever, for some reason I really want to watch it.

EDIT: Hot damn, Total Recall! (original)

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Also, Sabotage on the 18th. I don't know why I'm excited to see that. It sounds more like it would've fit Clint Eastwood 20 years ago, but instead it's Arnold Schwarzenegger. Whatever, for some reason I really want to watch it.
)

That movie is so WEIRD. I don't know how to describe it. It's somewhat a crime thriller, slasher movie, straight up action movie, and a couple other parts mixed in a weird intense violent blender. I think I liked it but I'm STILL NOT SURE.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah Netflix is adding stuff like mad lately, it's hard to keep up. I wish they'd keep the New Releases in better shape, though, Breaking Bad and Season 2 of Arrow are still on there, for some reason, among other old additions.[DOUBLEPOST=1415568697,1415568637][/DOUBLEPOST]And yeah, I liked Sabotage, I think. It's like Charlie said, it's just a big mixed bag of genres and it's hard to pin down, but somehow it ends up working.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

At least among stuff I'm interested in, Netflix lost a lot more on Nov 1 than they gained :(

evilmike

evilmike

Do we have a TV news thread? Anyway, the Raimis and Bruce Campbell are writing an Evil Dead TV series, with the intent of Campbell starring in it.
The series is has been picked up:

The STARZ Original series officially titled “Ash Vs. Evil Dead” will be 10 half-hour episodes. Bruce Campbell will be reprising his role as Ash, the stock boy, aging lothario and chainsaw-handed monster hunter who has spent the last 30 years avoiding responsibility, maturity and the terrors of the Evil Dead. When a Deadite plague threatens to destroy all of mankind, Ash is finally forced to face his demons –personal and literal. Destiny, it turns out, has no plans to release the unlikely hero from its “Evil” grip…
(via GeekDad)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ok, look, I'm a Bruce Campbell fan and everything, but I think he's a little old to be playing Ash now.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I think that'll just make it better. He could be this old, grumpy asshole that gets dragged kicking and screaming back into all the ghostly/Hellish shit he thought he left behind decades ago.

fade

fade

Ok, look, I'm a Bruce Campbell fan and everything, but I think he's a little old to be playing Ash now.

Frank

Frank

http://collider.com/doctor-doom-new-origin-fantastic-four-movie/

Dr. Doom in the upcoming Fantastic Four reboot is an anti-social computer programmer that goes by the online moniker of Doom. Also, his name is Victor Domashev.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

This movie is going to be as faithful to the comic as the Catwoman movie.

bhamv3

bhamv3

http://collider.com/doctor-doom-new-origin-fantastic-four-movie/

Dr. Doom in the upcoming Fantastic Four reboot is an anti-social computer programmer that goes by the online moniker of Doom. Also, his name is Victor Domashev.
Yes, because when you have an iconic hammy, scenery-chewing, arrogant, powerful, tyrannical, calculating, and strangely honorable character like Doom, it totally brings to mind an anti-social computer programmer with an online moniker.

This is going to be worse than Julian McMahon.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Unless this movie does gangbusters business (spoiler: it won't), you can bet the Marvel will get the rights back to the franchise soon after.

Null

Null

Yeah I was wondering if anyone had spotted that.

What a fucking mess. Here's a tip: if you want to make a Fantastic Four movie, you need to watch The Incredibles two dozen times, and then the Jessica Alba Fantastic Four movies, and be able to explain why the former works and the latter doesn't.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

...And on the latest bit of bad comic book movie news, Sony may be developing an Aunt May movie.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=110873

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

...And on the latest bit of bad comic book movie news, Sony may be developing an Aunt May movie.

You know, if they did a movie about Peter Parker's parents' time as SHIELD agents, that would be pretty dope. Especially if they threw in the Wolverine cameo (but kept it only a cameo).

MindDetective

MindDetective

You know, if they did a movie about Peter Parker's parents' time as SHIELD agents, that would be pretty dope. Especially if they threw in the Wolverine cameo (but kept it only a cameo).
Sony would need permission from Disney to use SHIELD, I think.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Oh right, yeah. My bad.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Sony: What more can we squeeze out of the only marvel franchise we own, and can use to ride the hype train with?

Hack Writers: I don't fucking know, we're already doing sinister six and... spider girls? Was that a real thing? Or did I hallucinate that? I'm so fucking high right now... about the only thing left is Aunt May, and no one would...

Sony: Perfect! I want it ready to release by Summer.

Null

Null

Holy shit, that's a bad idea. I mean, Aunt May is a font of aged wisdom for young Peter Parker, as well as a burden that complicates his life, and keeps him grounded. But she's a plot device, not a character in her own right. She has essentially no agenda of her own - she's long since retired and was widowed at the beginning of Spider-Man's career, so she's just kind of there. And she wasn't anything extraordinary in her time - Aunt May and Uncle Ben were simply good normal people who raised their orphan nephew and made sure he had a normal childhood. Which is great for Peter Parker - he's unlikely to think of himself as a 'god among insects' due to that upbringing. But to make a movie about Aunt May? There's nothing really there to make a movie about!

It's as bad an idea as making a TV show involving everyone from the Batman universe except Batman.

Gryfter

Gryfter

If that happens Sony would be.....

Null

Null

If that happens Sony would be.....

No, they wouldn't just be jumping the shark. They would be in the water, molesting the damn shark while it tries urgently to escape.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm interested to see the new take on Doom :)

evilmike

evilmike

This may mean something...

Gryfter

Gryfter

This may mean something...
Man I hope they start fresh with him and ignore any reference to Wolverine: Origins.