Movie News & Miscellany

Congressman Slams Warner Bros. for Canceling ‘Coyote vs. Acme,’ Calls for Federal Investigation

Texas Rep. Joaquin Castro took to X to blast the studio for its original plan to shelve the movie for a tax break.
"The WBD tactic of scrapping fully made films for tax breaks is predatory and anti-competitive,” the San Antonio Democrat wrote. “As the Justice Department and @FTC revise their antitrust guidelines they should review this conduct. As someone remarked, it’s like burning down a building for the insurance money.”
The best suggestion i heard was to make it law that if you do that, the movie in question becomes public domain.

The best suggestion i heard was to make it law that if you do that, the movie in question becomes public domain.
As far as copyright goes, I believe the current 70-year limit* is probably excessive, but I believe it could be justified by putting an end to 'hoarding.' If you don't offer your product for sale for at least 30 consecutive days AND you then suspend availability of your product for more than a year, then you don't deserve to keep the copyright.
--Patrick

After TOHO's Godzilla Minus One broke records at the box office, it will be re-released on January 12, 2024, in a new monochrome version and re-titled Godzilla-1.0/C (Godzilla Minus One/Minus Color). Right now, it looks like it is only screening in Japan, but hopefully, with the hype surrounding Minus One, which is still in theaters, the monochrome version will expand to other countries. (Fangoria)

After TOHO's Godzilla Minus One broke records at the box office, it will be re-released on January 12, 2024, in a new monochrome version and re-titled Godzilla-1.0/C (Godzilla Minus One/Minus Color). Right now, it looks like it is only screening in Japan, but hopefully, with the hype surrounding Minus One, which is still in theaters, the monochrome version will expand to other countries. (Fangoria)

Oh yay, we can look forward to Zaslav ruining even more artists’ work at Paramount after the merger. That man would slit his own mother’s throat for a tax break.

Reminder -- Godzilla Minus One Minus Color has started its one week run in the US. It does not appear in normal Google "Showtimes" searches. I verified that it is playing locally by checking on AMC's website. (It is only at AMC theaters unfortunately.)

Reminder -- Godzilla Minus One Minus Color has started its one week run in the US. It does not appear in normal Google "Showtimes" searches. I verified that it is playing locally by checking on AMC's website. (It is only at AMC theaters unfortunately.)
I mean...ARE there any other theaters? I ask both seriously, and depressingly.

figmentPez

Staff member
I mean...ARE there any other theaters? I ask both seriously, and depressingly.
Yes, there are at least three major US chains: AMC, Regal, and Cinemark, with dozens of smaller chains. The closest movie theater to me is a Showbiz, which is owned by EVO Entertainment Group.

I'm kicking myself for missing the first theatre run of Godzilla: Minus One. I just never had a good chance to.

And honestly, I...don't want to see it in black and white. I want to see it in full color as it was meant.

figmentPez

Staff member
Borderlands movie poster.jpg

The Borderlands movie is going to be a glorious trainwreck, and I am here for it.

(Why do all the costumes look so clean though?)

"From the producer of Uncharted, Spider-Man, and Venom" is not the flex they seem to think it is. I mean, Spider-Man was good, but the other two were painfully average.

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I'm putting it here:

Rooster Teeth Is Shutting Down After 21 Years

Warner Bros Discovery is looking to sell off the various IP (Red vs Blue, RWBY, and Gen:Lock series, as well as the Rooster Teeth podcast).

There will be a final, 19th, season of Red vs Blue with a feature length film. (I had no idea RvB was still going.)
Well there goes my hope of Camp Camp having more than just 4 more episodes. I'm sure they'll do SOMETHING with RWBY, made two weird cross over movies with the Justice League all ready.