NASA: California will run out of water in 12 months

I feel like every house in Colorado should be required to have solar paneled roofs. Though there are HoAs that frown on them for being ugly. Which is dumb, and they can't actually bar you from having them.
There really are some pretty stupid residential property rules out there.
http://webmeadow.com/blog/archives/200802/cage-match-solar-panels-vs-sequoias
To be fair, once it practically becomes a requirement to put solar panels on your residence, these will all get straightened out.

--Patrick

Any large, flat roofed building in the sun belt should have a solar farm on the roof. Imagine all the Targets and Wal-Marts powering the cities. Not to mention schools and hospitals.
It wouldn't power itself, let alone more. It would offset sure, but if it was "worth it" from a power perspective, they'd already be doing it. It isn't, so they aren't. Subsidies are needed.

Or just a better centralized (or de-centralized) power source: Thorium. I honestly believe that if even a fraction of the money dumped into the so-called "green" technologies (which usually require some pretty non-green manufacturing to work) was dumped into Thorium research, it'd already be done.

So for example, some HoAs try to say that you can't put solar panels on any part of your roof that faces the street. But that is clearly in violation of a provision stating that HoAs cannot force you to place solar panels in a position that drastically increase their effectiveness. We have a south facing house, so if/when we get them, we're going to want to put them on the south slope. This may or may not lead to a fight with our HoA, which will have us be in the right ultimately, but will be a hassle and a half. Then again, it might not because our HoA has never really done *anything* to enforce things.

http://www.cohoalaw.com/covenant-enforcement-solar-panels-what-hoas-need-to-know.html[DOUBLEPOST=1426869053,1426868727][/DOUBLEPOST]
It wouldn't power itself, let alone more. It would offset sure, but if it was "worth it" from a power perspective, they'd already be doing it. It isn't, so they aren't. Subsidies are needed.

Or just a better centralized (or de-centralized) power source: Thorium. I honestly believe that if even a fraction of the money dumped into the so-called "green" technologies (which usually require some pretty non-green manufacturing to work) was dumped into Thorium research, it'd already be done.
I think about that everytime I see the giant wind turbines out here. The non-green manufacturing part I mean. :)

GasBandit

Staff member
My grandfather, when he lived in Colorado Springs back in the 80s, installed a giant solar panel on the south side of the house he owned. It was 30 years ago so naturally it was older tech, but still heated the house's water pretty effectively!