[TV] Netflix's Daredevil (With Spoilers)

The Port Authority (bus terminal) and a major subway hub* are in Hell's Kitchen. If you need to steal a car, you're clearly an idiot.

But Hell's Kitchen is,a matter of blocks. You could hobble one end to the other. Sometimes I wish the writers would remember that. It's not Gotham City, for crying out loud.

*okay, on the edge of it. We're talking 1/2 block.

Okay, just finished Season 2! And spoilers, spoilers, spoilers!

I still think The Punisher is one of Marvel's lamest creations, but the writers made him tolerable. I feel like hie story line was a little weaker than Elektra's, but it gave Karen something to do. I'm glad Elektra's story line was a big part of Season 2 because it brings Daredevil a little more into the Marvel universe. Season 1, while fantastic, stuck to a very down-to-earth plot, for a story about a vigilante with super abilities. The inclusion of the fantastical (The Hand, Black Sky), takes us a little more towards the established universe of aliens, Inhumans and the unexplainable. Now that he's going to be running around Manhattan Hell's Kitchen with Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, et al, he needed a taste of more extraordinary.

Speaking of which, I wasn't paying too close attention to casting outside of The Punisher and Elektra, so I was pleasantly surprised to see Kingpin/Fisk, Madame Gao and Hogarth all make appearances! And while it's always good to see Claire Temple, a part of me was frustrated when she saw that Matt was in over his head, she didn't suggest calling for back-up. Maybe she didn't want to out J.J. or Luke, or just didn't feel like she knew them well enough to suggest it, but it's times like this manner aren't as important as saving lives.

Meanwhile, I was wondering if they were going to give Elektra her classic "death" (hello, Chekhov's sais!) since there was no Bullseye, but there it was! Not that she ever stays dead, but we'll see how this plays out on screen.

Now, bring on Luke Cage!

I thought it ended perfectly.

Also @Celt Z

We already established that fictional Hell's Kitchen is gigantic, and Luke Cage is in Harlem, which is probably halfway across the state by Marvel proportions. ;)

I knew they wouldn't tie it all up in a neat little package, but come on man don't leave me hanging like that. I wonder if we're getting a s3 or if this will tie-in to Defenders?

This is a spoiler thread, by the way. You don't have to hide anything behind tags. :)
True, but it did just release. I figure give people at least a week to catch up.
I was going to say the same thing. Not everyone can binge at the same speed, posting post-season thoughts and cliffhanger spoilers after a few days would mean someone watching one episode a day couldn't join this thread safely. Clearly marking a spoiler with the episode or general part of the season makes sense, at least for a short while. I'm not watching (not available here yet), but still. S1 spoilers are probably ok now, s2 final I'd give at least a week or so more.

Minor quibble, sort-of spoilery

I was really disappointed Elektra didn't don her red bandana at some point. Not because it's a great fashion statement, but every fight scene, her long bangs would keep getting in her eyes. "Let's go to the roof where there's lots of wind!" How are you supposed to focus? Or maybe it's just me, because I usually tie or pin mine back for sports or the gym because I hate them getting into my field of vision. Maybe they were too worried she was going to look like her G.I. Joe: Retaliation character?

"Look at me, I'm Matt Murdock!...oh wait, you can't, Matt. Ha ha!"

At least they gave her a pony tail. Better than that scene in Elektra when all of her hair is blowing in front of her face.

Also the end:

My husband was all, "Elektra can't die! Doesn't she have her own series coming?"

I just turned to look at him, blinked, and said, "Bitch please, as if she's going to stay dead."

And of course, not long after..

I'm not sure how I feel about the rap music in the background. I always thought music like the theme from Shaft was more appropriate for that character. Can you dig it?

I just finished the final episode. Hopefully Luke Cage and the next season of Jessica Jones will keep me going while I wait another year for season 3.

Speaking of Luke Cage, what are the odds we'll get to see this?

cagedance01.png
cagedance02.png
cagedance03.png
I know, none, because they're from Deadpool. But a girl can dream, can't she?

Well, they did sneak in a "Sweet Christmas," so who knows?

I know we won't see his and JJ's kid, but I wonder who has the rights to Squirrel Girl. She was their babysitter for awhile and would be a funny character to have show up once or twice.

Well, they did sneak in a "Sweet Christmas," so who knows?

I know we won't see his and JJ's kid, but I wonder who has the rights to Squirrel Girl. She was their babysitter for awhile and would be a funny character to have show up once or twice.
Marvel might have the film and television rights. Besides which, in the comics they've softly retconned Squirrel Girl from being a mutant to having "partially squirrel blood". That feels like something that may have been done as a way to feature her without having her be a mutant.

Just finished season 2 tonight.

I feel like season 1 was stronger, largely because it focused on one plotline whereas season 2 was juggling two, and sometimes it felt like three.

Really liked all the Punisher stuff. I can't see him carrying his own series, that would get tiresome, but I wouldn't mind him showing up now and then. Elektra was great. Daaaamn that stairwell fight. That was up there with season 1's hallway fight among best fights I've seen, movie or TV. I love the brawls more than the ninja stuff, because the ninja stuff feels more like what you usually see in fights, but the brawls feel so grounded and rough.

I had no idea Wilson Fisk was going to show up this season, so that was really the biggest moment of season 2 for me.

Kind of a let-down that the big mystery urn was just something we already knew about. I'm curious where the Hand got these mystery organisms that incubate in people's bloodstreams.

I'm hoping we do get a season 3 and that Daredevil and the others won't just be stuck in The Defenders. It's cool to have mash-up stuff, but I like them having their own stories and season arcs as well. Marvel is really knocking it out of the park with these shows. It's hard to watch something like Young Justice right after this; it just doesn't compare.

Loved the Luke Cage preview, all 22 seconds of it. :D

this show made ninjas boring. Nobu sucked in season 2. I am not watching any more "the hand" magic ressurrection crap. I'm gonna fast forward through any plotlines that don't have Kingpin and/or Punisher from now on. Even the fight sequences got repetitive and boring. Ugh. If Bulls Eye kills Elektra in season 3 episode 1 and shoots her body into space, I'll be back on board 110% with this show.

Also, this show does investigative journalism and courtroom plot lines/scenes EXTREMELY poorly. I know it's not gonna be The Wire or Spotlight since the show's mainly about Daredevil beating people to permanent paralysis (but never death! sidebar, i'd rather get shot in the torso than all the permanent brain damage daredevil inflicts on everyone he touches ((BUT DOESN'T KIIIIIIIIIIILLLL)) ), BUT they could at least have them take up less time

Dave

Staff member
this show made ninjas boring. Nobu sucked in season 2. I am not watching any more "the hand" magic ressurrection crap. I'm gonna fast forward through any plotlines that don't have Kingpin and/or Punisher from now on. Even the fight sequences got repetitive and boring. Ugh. If Bulls Eye kills Elektra in season 3 episode 1 and shoots her body into space, I'll be back on board 110% with this show.

Also, this show does investigative journalism and courtroom plot lines/scenes EXTREMELY poorly. I know it's not gonna be The Wire or Spotlight since the show's mainly about Daredevil beating people to permanent paralysis (but never death! sidebar, i'd rather get shot in the torso than all the permanent brain damage daredevil inflicts on everyone he touches ((BUT DOESN'T KIIIIIIIIIIILLLL)) ), BUT they could at least have them take up less time
I actually agree with your point about ninjas. I didn't fast forward through them, but even though they are canon they felt shoehorned in.

Dave

Staff member
I didn't fast forward, I just heavily want to next time/season. But I probably won't
I think it's actually worse if you binge-watched it. Taken in individual episodes, I think it's fine. Each episode has its action moments, etc. But when binge-watched they kind of meld together.

I think it's actually worse if you binge-watched it. Taken in individual episodes, I think it's fine. Each episode has its action moments, etc. But when binge-watched they kind of meld together.
We recently binge-watched Voyager (because the father-in-law wanted to watch them all) and I kinda agree. When it's a weekly show, it's one thing. But when you're watching 3-4 episodes/day, you're like, "How does one starship get into so much trouble???"

--Patrick

We recently binge-watched Voyager (because the father-in-law wanted to watch them all) and I kinda agree. When it's a weekly show, it's one thing. But when you're watching 3-4 episodes/day, you're like, "How does one starship get into so much trouble???"

--Patrick
Crime shows are particularly amazing for this. Oxford's murder rate must be comically high. And forget about visiting Cabot Cove.

Crime shows are particularly amazing for this. Oxford's murder rate must be comically high. And forget about visiting Cabot Cove.
As you may guess, Belgium has its fair share of our own cop shows and local police drama. Most are set in one of our two or three big cities, and tend to not include murder all the time (missing people, burglaries, whatever). However, we famously had one show following a police inspector in Halle, a small city outside of Brussels, who exclusively did murder cases. Over the course of the show, he solved about 150 murders...with an average of about 250 murders per year in all of Belgium, that makes his town by far the unsafest place in Belgium.